I’m way too excited about all this false hope

With all the whispers behind the scenes about Kevin Knox potentially coming back and now Shai Gilgeous-Alexander leaving open the option to join him, it’s really hard to not be excited about next season. I’ve tried and tried and tried to be realistic and to temper expectations, but part of being a fan is being a little crazy (OK, a lot of crazy) and I fully admit I’m being crazy and irrational right now.

Will Kevin Knox come back? I still lean no, but two weeks ago it was a certain no. He is genuinely torn right now. Will Shai Gilgeous-Alexander come back? On Monday I was told he was already out the door, but now we know he’s at least going to wait to see what Knox does. It’s hard to not get excited about the “what if” there, as improbable as it is.

Five Reasons Why Kevin Knox Might Return

In the end, we’ll probably regret getting worked up about their potential returns and they’ll both bolt for the NBA, as we expected they would all along. All that we’re hearing and reading this week will ultimately end up being false hope. But that doesn’t mean I can’t be excited about it, even if I know deep down inside it’s not going to happen.

To quote the great philosopher John V. Calipari, “no one will steal my joy” right now. Let me dream my dreams about next year until we learn otherwise.

Article written by Drew Franklin

19 Comments for I’m way too excited about all this false hope

1. secrick
    10:37 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

Amen Brother, keep dreaming i’m right there with you.

• Bleedblueky
      11:17 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

DREAMS MIGHT COME TRUE so I’ll keep dreaming & praying and hope it’s happening 🙂

2. Swizzle
    10:42 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

If they do come back. Can we borrrow some football scholarships?

3. UK_fac_boi
    10:42 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

Preach!

4. secrick
    10:49 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

I tell you something else i’m hoping for that some of those kids at Villanova go pro.

• makeitstop
      11:09 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

The two first round picks go – Brunson and Bridges are almost 22 year old juniors and Booth graduates.

5. mothandras
    10:49 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

Who wins next year UK or Duke if we get Knox/SGA back? Regular season? Championship? Would be pre-season #1 over Duke at that point?

6. Smyrna_Cat
    10:54 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

Build the hype.

7. Han
    11:01 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

We always have at least two who keep their names in the draft, BUT in theory if no one leaves besides Tai, our roster is now full, scholly-wise.

I still think we lose Shai and 1-3 more. Then it’s just a question of if Montgomery or Hagans joins and if Barbee gets a head coach job somewhere.

8. makeitstop
    11:05 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

Watching Villanova win with a bunch of upperclassman and one freshman starter really brings it home how much experience matters. It’s a leveler. Two first round picks certainly isn’t a lack of talent but it’s not Duke. If we get Knox and Vanderbilt back to go with Green, an improved Richards, Jones or Gabriel and the incoming guys plus a recovered Baker and maybe one or two more would not be as deep and talented as 2012 or 2015 bc it would still lack that future NBA POY type but it would compare favorably to Villanova this year or UNC last and that’s good enough! It would give us an edge on Duke’s super class especially if Hagan and/or EJ come here or at least don’t go there. Fingers crossed.

9. TonyMontana
    11:08 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

Both Knox and Shai will come back and Zion switches his commitment and signs with kentucky. Also, Wiseman and Hagans reclassify and join kentucky for 2018. And… Jamaal Murray, monk, fox and Bam decide to get undrafted and return. Impossible you say? We will run 3 platoons! Well at least 2 of those things will happen! My brain hurts.

10. WatchutalkinboutWillis
    11:15 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

It would be great if Knox and Shai return but it really doesn’t matter, I’m excited about next year either way…If our starters are Wenyen, PJ, Vanderbilt, Johnson, Green/Quickley with shooters coming off the bench….that is something to be excited about!

11. Bluebloodtoo
    11:53 am April 4, 2018 Permalink

Besides the false hope, all this draft waffling gives you guys so many extra opinion and “news” pieces 🙂

12. Mathlete
    12:04 pm April 4, 2018 Permalink

Maybe it’s my slightly pessimistic nature, but I’d rather assume they’re both gone and be pleasantly surprised if they come back

13. UKLugo
    1:16 pm April 4, 2018 Permalink

Me too.

14. makeitstop
    2:20 pm April 4, 2018 Permalink

I assume SGA is gone. How much better will his draft stock be next year? He’s already exceeded expectations and next year could be a disappointment. Knox on the other hand will get better, and almost certainly moves up. The game finally slowed down for him this year and next year he will be a POY candidate. Remember Billy Donovan won his championships w guys like Knox who could’ve gone but the parents didn’t need them to. If being 3 semesters closer to a degree and enjoying life before a job is a luxury his folks can afford him AND help his draft stock, he should take it.

15. makeitstop
    2:29 pm April 4, 2018 Permalink

Good story: teach ur kid to work hard and not settle but reward them with an extra year of enjoying being a kid because he’ll have a job the rest of his life. If that’s the direction he chooses you can chalk that up to good parenting.

• kellywjohnson
      4:27 pm April 4, 2018 Permalink

I agree! There are a lot of years to have a job. Enjoy being a kid just another year. I don;t think you would ever regret that move!

16. UK Fan In Nashville
    5:24 pm April 4, 2018 Permalink

They are all coming back.