I’m afraid Calipari lied to us about this being a good shooting team

We’ve been duped, Big Blue Nation. Misled, rather. I think we’ve all realized it now.

This is not John Calipari’s best three-point shooting team at Kentucky, as he suggested it could be prior to the start of the season. So far it has been quite the opposite as this team is on track to be Calipari’s worst three-point shooting team at Kentucky, at least at this stage of the season, 10 games in.

After missing 15 of 17 three-point tries in the stunner against Utah (which is exactly how you get stunned by Utah) last night, Kentucky now ranks 326th in the country in three-point field goal percentage. THREE HUNDRED AND TWENTY SIXTH. At only 27.5 percent on over 150 attempts, this team seems to be far removed from the conversation of best shooting teams.

That being said, Calipari still believes this team will find its rhythm outside and all will be right in the world. But until then, he can’t explain why shots aren’t going in.

“I don’t have the answer,” he said after Wednesday night’s loss. “I wish I did. I believe we’ve got good shooters, they’re just — maybe timid right now.”

You know what he needs? Makers, not shooters.

Article written by Drew Franklin

27 Comments for I’m afraid Calipari lied to us about this being a good shooting team

1. nicky
    12:36 pm December 19, 2019 Permalink

Can’t make ’em when you’re always covered due to no offensive scheme to get open looks

• notFromhere
      12:59 pm December 19, 2019 Permalink

Yup

• CrystalBall
      2:01 pm December 19, 2019 Permalink

Looks to me like they are getting good, open shots.

2. WKY Cat
    12:38 pm December 19, 2019 Permalink

There’s a reason they say Cal will be a politician when he’s done coaching.

3. Lip Man 1
    12:46 pm December 19, 2019 Permalink

Can’t argue with Drew’s comments. Cal needs to try to emphasize recruiting shooters not necessarily “athletes” who slash to the basket. The three point shot (and I personally think it has ruined the game) is such a big part of things that if you can’t succeed in that area you are really putting yourself in big trouble.

4. postman99
    12:53 pm December 19, 2019 Permalink

This team may not be a very good shooting 3 point one, but the bigger issue is that of our inside game. I would think that Cal was also expecting improvement inside which keeps defenses focused on our bigs which can help get 3s open. Also shot selection isn’t always very good. I did not see the game last night. so i’m going by what I’ve observed to date.

5. notFromhere
    1:02 pm December 19, 2019 Permalink

All I’m hearing after reading this headline is ” WAAA, WAAAH, WAAAAAAAA”

6. thenamerobdigity
    1:06 pm December 19, 2019 Permalink

Should we be excited that the team we cheer for just lost?

7. StuckinLville
    1:06 pm December 19, 2019 Permalink

These guys were known as shooters in high school. Last year Herro couldnt make shots at the beginning of the season either. Guys will eventually step up, but let’s hope sooner than later.

• notFromhere
      1:20 pm December 19, 2019 Permalink

Exactly.

Every year it’s the same. They can shoot well, but not in the limited offensive scheme Cal employs. Wish he could tailor things to the talent he has. That’s the only reason I might rather have Donovan.

8. VirginiaCat
    1:07 pm December 19, 2019 Permalink

I think we have the talent to be a good outside shooting team, but only if Cal exploits the potential. Cal said after the loss, “I don’t have the answer, I wish I did.” That’s not the kind of comment that inspires confidence. He is paid handsomely to have answers. Cal apologists will say that it’s not Cal who is missing the shots, but it is his job to come up with schemes that facilitates good shooting.

9. gasman01
    1:13 pm December 19, 2019 Permalink

Thinking back…. Would anyone 5 years ago be saying bring on football in the middle of basketball season. This has the makings of an early exit, IF we get in the tourney.

10. DelrayCat
    1:17 pm December 19, 2019 Permalink

Let’s face it. The inherent flaw in the Cal system is lack of experience. Too often UK is playing guys who just have not had enough repetition hitting big shots in big games when the lights are the brightest. Plus he just has a limited group with few options on the bench. Recruiting a full roster would help minimize the problem, but he won’t ever do it….or can’t, given that every player coming to UK thinks he’s one or two and done and leaves at the first sign of adversity if not draftable.

11. dave1964
    1:19 pm December 19, 2019 Permalink

When you can’t make 3 pointers or layups or have bigs that can’t play inside your in trouble simply put this is nota very good team at all.

12. VirginiaCat
    1:28 pm December 19, 2019 Permalink

It concerns me that Cal thought we would be a great 3-point shooting team, but thus far, we are ranked 326th. How could he be so far off? Cal is fond of saying that he has been a coach for a long, long time. Perhaps it’s time for some in-service training.

13. VirginiaCat
    1:31 pm December 19, 2019 Permalink

It’s like an investment advisor saying, “I thought you would get a 300% on your money this year, but you actually lost your ass. I don’t know why.”

14. a21CATSfan
    1:33 pm December 19, 2019 Permalink

I’m more afraid that the defensive potential of this team, is just not there anymore. Utah, of all teams, exposed the transition defense last night. Cal’s teams can never shoot. But they always play D and rebound. This could get ugly. CATS

15. scottg74
    1:39 pm December 19, 2019 Permalink

Pretty sure the 3 point line moved back has a lot to do with it. Our players feet are hardly ever set and shoulders square. Poor fundamentals. A lot of jumping into the shot.

16. Jester
    1:53 pm December 19, 2019 Permalink

Cal is a recruiter, not a game coach. He gets outcoached a lot. And as someone said above me, you don’t build a program on inexperienced one and dones. We have one, ONE championship in all the years Cal has been bringing in the top recruiting classes. That is lack of good coaching, plain and simple.

I’m not satisified with 28 win seasons and a final four every 5-6 years. This is supposed to be Kentucky basketball where championships are expected.

17. Jimi40
    2:17 pm December 19, 2019 Permalink

Ill follow the team through the schedule like i always do & realize in February….”Cal Got This”.

Never forget 2011 & 2014 runs….

18. UKFaninCO
    2:21 pm December 19, 2019 Permalink

Stop watching until mid-January each year….works for me!

19. makeitstop
    3:02 pm December 19, 2019 Permalink

Our shooters have terrible releases. Maxey shoots w his right foot in front like a shotput, kind of like the old runners in the 40’s but w a jump; Hagans must be copying him bc he did it too. IQ has a good release but it’s not falling. Basically no one gets set and gets squared up. When they do (in practice) they drop. The forwards look worse apart from Sestina. But I agree w Drew – it’s one thing to say it’s ur best shooting team and they start off hitting 31% – it’s another when they are like dead last.

20. ukbradstith
    3:09 pm December 19, 2019 Permalink

Now that Sestina is back, they really need to get him some shots. He has by far the best looking stroke on the team. Love to see him get 3-5 open look per game.

21. Looother
    3:58 pm December 19, 2019 Permalink

Good post, Drew. These guys spend too much time reading their press clippings…

22. MrFlip41129
    5:01 pm December 19, 2019 Permalink

All I keep reading is “fans” bashing Cal and these KIDS. Also complaints about one Championship since Cal got here. Someone said rather have Dovan, he was offer the job twice and said no. So come in people!! There isn’t a better coach for Kentucky out there. The main reason is bc of us crazy ass fans. Without Cal where would be? Who would do better than Cal? Love Coach Cal and love these KIDS. I’ve seen and lived the rough times. This is far from over and the sky isn’t falling. Cats will be just fine.

23. UKfanman01
    6:38 pm December 19, 2019 Permalink

Hagans- never been a shooter, has been better than I expected
    IQ- looks much improved overall
    EJ- he’s still here
    Richards- Vastly improved
    Whitney- who?
    Maxey- shown up 1 game
    Brooks- raw
    Juzang- who?
    Sestina- 0 footwork

24. channell
    9:04 pm December 19, 2019 Permalink

The one and done is destroying this great program. I have talked to many fans that are fed up and are ready to go back to 3 and 4 year players. Even our veterans stink. When that arena is repeatedly not filled to capacity and you have to reduce tickets to 3 dollars like what happen a month ago, you will see some changes. This program is about Cal. It’s about winning championships. The university is paying Cal 8 million yearly to get kids to the pros in a year or 2. Does that make sense?