Illinois guard transfer Adam Miller commits to LSU

GettyImages-AdamMiller
(Photo by Zach Bolinger/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

GettyImages-AdamMiller

(Photo by Zach Bolinger/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

No Derby magic for the Kentucky basketball program this time around, as Illinois guard transfer Adam Miller has committed to LSU.

Choosing between the likes of Kentucky, Georgia, and Michigan, among others, the former four-star prospect announced his commitment to LSU late Saturday afternoon.

“Will Wade, I have a great relationship with him,” the newest LSU commit told Stadium’s Jeff Goodman during the announcement.

Listed as the No. 33 overall prospect in the 2020 247Sports Composite Rankings, the freshman guard averaged 8.3 points and 2.8 rebounds in 25.5 minutes per contest, shooting 34% from three on 4.9 attempts from deep per game. Playing for Illinois, a one-seed in the 2021 NCAA Tournament and a top-five team throughout the season, the true freshman had 13 double-digit scoring performances. His biggest outings came in a 28-point performance against North Carolina A&T in his college debut, an 18-point performance against Nebraska, and 14-point outings against Minnesota, Northwestern and No. 21 Ohio State.

Seen as a primary off-ball, catch-and-shoot threat, Kentucky was always seen as a questionable fit, especially considering the program is recruiting Iowa sharpshooter CJ Fredrick and a decision from him could come in the very near future. And with zero point guards signed on for 2021-22 following Nolan Hickman Jr.’s decommitment on Friday, John Calipari’s recruiting focus is on the lead guard position, desperately needing to add at least two primary ball handlers in the near future.

On to the next one.

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

62 Comments for Illinois guard transfer Adam Miller commits to LSU

1. T-Dog
    6:09 pm May 1, 2021 Permalink

Couldn’t pass up that strong ass offer. LOL Best of luck to him.

• 2andToodleLoo
      7:11 pm May 1, 2021 Permalink

Yep. Duffel Bag U!!!

• somerset bill
      12:06 pm May 2, 2021 Permalink

I agree. Maybe not the big bucks, though. More like multiple-hunnnndreds of dollars. Compare him to Askew per game: similar minutes (25.5 vs. Askew’s 29); less than 2 more points (8.3 vs. 6.5); 2 fewer assists (0.8 vs. Askew’s 2.9. Less than 1/3); half the steals (1.1 vs. 2.0); better 3% (34 vs. 28. but still, just 34.); worse FT% (68 vs. Askew’s 80).

2. tmcclan16
    6:16 pm May 1, 2021 Permalink

Does this feel like the end of calipari! Two signed recruits? Crap coming back, coaches leaving, no one jumping to get here, top recruits are staying far away! Think last year was bad wait till this year! Done before it gets started.

• T-Town Cat
      6:30 pm May 1, 2021 Permalink

24/7 Sports has our 2021 Class rated as 30th in the country. That is just unfathomable.

• Bluehender
      6:54 pm May 1, 2021 Permalink

• Blue Bill
      7:53 pm May 1, 2021 Permalink

F’ing negative haters.

• UKFanSC
      7:57 am May 2, 2021 Permalink

Not a particularly helpful observation. We still have roster spots that we will fill. Don’t overreact

3. just a guy
    6:19 pm May 1, 2021 Permalink

D.O.N.E.

4. mashman 93
    6:20 pm May 1, 2021 Permalink

Well that sucks.

5. TheMaxCat
    6:25 pm May 1, 2021 Permalink

Carr, Mintz, Wheeler, Washington and whoever else might jump into the portal. It’s not over yet, but the fat lady is warming up.

• chrisblue
      6:34 pm May 1, 2021 Permalink

Thank You MaxCat for the positivity. I sometimes want to shoot myself after reading the negative comments here. Either you are a CATS fan or you are not!! Can’t win it all every year. When I see a player have LSU, Looserville, Arizona, Kansas or any of the other cheater schools listed as an option; I personally cheer for them not to come here. Life is about decision making and it makes me question what the hell is going through their head.

• kyle macys socks
      7:01 pm May 1, 2021 Permalink

This^

6. T-Town Cat
    6:28 pm May 1, 2021 Permalink

It’s ironic that the sport most identified with UK – Men’s Basketball – appears to be the least stable of the entire Athletic Department.

7. NashCat79
    6:31 pm May 1, 2021 Permalink

Uh ohh

8. deputy24-7
    6:34 pm May 1, 2021 Permalink

And Mintz and brooks are GONE!

• mashman 93
      6:46 pm May 1, 2021 Permalink

Where did you hear that?

• Bluehender
      6:55 pm May 1, 2021 Permalink

He didn’t hear it anywhere…

9. DoubleB65
    6:38 pm May 1, 2021 Permalink

Cal is washed up. It isn’t assistant coaches. It’s his system. Period.

10. Han
    6:39 pm May 1, 2021 Permalink

Can’t wait to hear Dick Vitale talk about how unfair it’ll be to punish players like him when LSU gets the hammer since he wasn’t even there when the violations happened. As if no one knows the hammer is coming and this player doesn’t know he’s going to a dirty program.

11. JT55
    6:49 pm May 1, 2021 Permalink

Need a cleansing of the program.

12. Blue Mass
    7:00 pm May 1, 2021 Permalink

Again I ask why no one is considering the thought that Cal may be taking an NBA job? How can that not be crossing any minds, anywhere,in light of the complete implosion that seems to be taking place. I mean we keep hearing about coaches coming and players coming (or coming back) but all we seeing is mass attrition and players going anywhere but here.
    It just does not seem that crazy to me.

• neat1ky
      7:30 pm May 1, 2021 Permalink

Sounds stupid to everyone

• panicpat
      8:23 pm May 1, 2021 Permalink

Nocode. I keep waiting for you too post anything not belittling people. I sincerely hope you’re not like this to your friends and family

• ibescootch
      11:58 pm May 1, 2021 Permalink

And again, everyone is scrolling past your comment (except me), because it’s a stretch. You’re acting like everyone- the players on his team, the coaches that have left for other jobs, the coaches that are rumored to be taking their spots, the high-level recruits, the high-level transfers, staff, etc. are all in cahoots to keep a lid on a huge secret that Cal is taking an NBA job. It just doesn’t work like that.

13. kyle macys socks
    7:05 pm May 1, 2021 Permalink

The sky is falling! The world is ending! Woe is me! Really? Y’all are a bunch of panicky skittish-ass fans. Last time I checked Miller wasn’t really our top option. Now if Carr and Washington both go somewhere else and Mintz leaves then yeah, next year might be rough but let’s see what happens before all the white flags

14. Bluehender
    7:08 pm May 1, 2021 Permalink

Get a grip people. We already have two solid guys that play Miller’s position. Grady and Allen…

• mashman 93
      9:29 pm May 1, 2021 Permalink

Agree 100 BH.

• Pensacola_Cat_Fan
      8:39 am May 2, 2021 Permalink

Allen can’t play point guard. That’s just a ridiculous comment.

• Bluehender
      10:02 am May 2, 2021 Permalink

No. They are 2 guards…just like Miller. Try some reading comprehension..

• Plano KY
      11:05 am May 2, 2021 Permalink

He sure as hell can’t guard anybody either.

15. sundanze77
    7:11 pm May 1, 2021 Permalink

Exactly…he’s not a pg

16. JT55
    7:13 pm May 1, 2021 Permalink

I actually hope Cal leaves. At best, UK is the 6th or 7th best team in the SEC right now. A clean break is best for everyone at this point.

• nocode96
      7:26 pm May 1, 2021 Permalink

Stfu you idiot. Cal leaves and we go back to the Gillespie days over night. One bad season and you idiots lose your mind. You know what? I hope he leaves too so I can constantly complain like you do, only I’ll be bitching about a season like last year, every year once Cal leaves. I’ll be here every single day reminding idiots like you of the glory days of Cal. No one since rupp has had more success or championships or FF’s than Cal, but nah, let’s get rid of our hof coach because dummies like you are spoiled little brats. In all sincerity, F U man, just shut up already.

• neat1ky
      7:32 pm May 1, 2021 Permalink

I agree with nocode96, every major coach has a let down and will bounce back and real fans know that

• MrFlip41129
      2:34 am May 2, 2021 Permalink

Well said! Nocode96

• neat1ky
      7:30 pm May 1, 2021 Permalink

Again please leave and only real fans needed here

• JT55
      8:35 pm May 1, 2021 Permalink

Calm down snowflake, no need for name calling. I’ll check back with ya come December.

17. bbnZach
    7:24 pm May 1, 2021 Permalink

The state of Ky will be running Coach Cal out very soon! We need a championship level HC

18. TheMaxCat
    7:56 pm May 1, 2021 Permalink

We had a National Championship contender, then the perfect storm of missed recruits (Cunningham), guys leaving (Hagans), Covid eliminating coaches having extra time w/recruits. (which meant a lot more when it was a frosh.) attributed to 1 bad year. Not the coaches norm, not the schools Norm…. it was an outlier. I would be shocked if Cal doesn’t reel in a prime PG tor 2, that will return us to major contender status.

19. VirginiaCat
    8:19 pm May 1, 2021 Permalink

NoCode: Cal leaves and we go back to the Gillepsie days? Do you understand that last year was worse than any Gillespie season?
    Now then, let’s talk a bit about your deportment. The name calling is childish and unnecessary. You would have greater credibility if you behaved more like an adult and less like a petulant child. Your default is to call people names and spew insults. I would hope that you’re better than that.

• mashman 93
      9:42 pm May 1, 2021 Permalink

Did you forget about the 11 years before that? My goodness we won the SEC in 2020!! John Calipari has earned the right to get this thing turned around come on man.

20. Mathlete
    8:21 pm May 1, 2021 Permalink

“Will Wade, I have a great relationship with him,” … “He gives me cash, I give him my commitment. Great relationship if you ask me!”

21. panicpat
    8:40 pm May 1, 2021 Permalink

Nocode is by far the worst poster on this site. I hope he/she is a better person in real life

22. Bluebloodtoo
    9:21 pm May 1, 2021 Permalink

Dang! 37 people beat me to the strong ass joke opportunity.

23. CahillsCrossingNT
    9:27 pm May 1, 2021 Permalink

Can any of you spell? His name is Gillispie.

24. Droll rambler
    10:26 pm May 1, 2021 Permalink

If the NCAA ever gets off its duff, the hammer is going to fall on the LSU basketball program.

25. bigblue2018
    11:20 pm May 1, 2021 Permalink

I keep telling myself I’m not going to read comments do but then I get bored and I too, and I’m sorry once again. BBN is great but the 10% of the loudest dumbasses fans of college sports belong to BBN. Coach Cal has won 339 games his first 12 years while owning Rick, Tubby Smith won 263 in his 10 years and owned Rick as well, Pimp Daddy Rick won 219 in his 8 years, Joe B won 297 in his 13 years and Coach Adolph Rupp won 336 in his last 16 years with teams that included the Rupp Runts and 3 Dan Issel teams. Tubby Smith is the only coach of those 5 who never had a losing season or even a 500 year. If I was Coach Cal and still wanted to coach I’d leave here and go somewhere the fans weren’t loud mouth idiots. Maybe some players don’t come here because they know if they have a shooting slump fans will be calling for their heads. Think about what’s going on as well, in the last 5 years lots of kids don’t want to come to a team where they might have to compete for a position. Ty Ty Washington has been promised “the keys to the car” as Bill Self at Kansas put it to him, Cal don’t make and shouldn’t make those kinds of promises to kids, if he goes to Kansas and is a flop is Self gonna let him keep the keys, he promised he would. As good as 90% of fans of BBN are the other 10% would keep me away as a player.

• Tom Bombadil
      9:57 am May 2, 2021 Permalink

BB2018… That was a nice rebuttal…. I agree with everything you said except for the part about A.Rupp….. they did not play 40 games a year in rupp’s time…. Nor was the tournament six games to win it. They were at 30 games a year… With 4 to win the championship. He didn’t have an opportunity to get all the victories like the modern coaches. However look at Adolph reps winning percentage..82%. They don’t compare to him in all reality.
      Go Cats!!

• catatbeach
      1:30 pm May 2, 2021 Permalink

Didn’t start playing 40 games till Pitinos last year….96 was 34-2 , 78 was 30-2
      Cal is winning 78% Pitino 81% tubby 76% hall 75%

26. UKFanSC
    7:55 am May 2, 2021 Permalink

Wow. This was the guy we wanted. A mature strong full-court combo guard who could have positioned us for a serious run. I have no idea where we are at this stage. We may need a magic wand

27. UKFanSC
    8:01 am May 2, 2021 Permalink

It is still infuriating that we are losing good recruits to programs that have been identified as cheaters by the NCAA. You would think there would be some sort of consequence.

28. dave1964
    12:41 pm May 2, 2021 Permalink

There was a time I was one of Cal’s #1 supporters I have been a fan of Kentucky basketball for over 50 years, there was a time before the past three years I would watch every game even during the not so good years of Tubby Smith but for the past several years I have either not watched or watched maybe 5 minutes and couldn’t take it and turn off the TV. Cal has either lost his passion for basketball or had really good assistance coaching last season was a total shit show. I don’t see next season being much better Cal has to change his style of play or get run out of town.

29. Cousins Fake Tooth 2
    12:55 pm May 2, 2021 Permalink

So is the NCAA pretending LSU’s Wade isn’t on audio talking about paying players?

30. catatbeach
    1:17 pm May 2, 2021 Permalink

We have been on a decline since the Wisconsin
    loss. We are past the Gillespie days. He was only here two years and both of those seasons he had double digit wins and winning seasons. This past year was the worst season in 100years. It’s May and we do not have a point guard so we need to pick up at least two. I am not fire Cal but this current state of the program is 100% Cals fault. Fans have complained and called for every modern coach to leave or be sent down the road with Pitino being the exception. Hall, Pitino,Smith have just as many championships. A fan can have displeasure with the coach and think he should go down the road and still be real fans. Again I don’t think Cal should go down the road but if the ship isn’t corrected after this next season then it’s time. Because at that point what he is doing is not working and he has been given the opportunity to fix it.

• VirginiaCat
      2:12 pm May 2, 2021 Permalink

The last few years Cal has run the program like it’s his personal program and only marginally tethered to the university. His early success bred complacency and, worse, he has come to see himself as a player advocate first and a basketball coach second. This past season was a jolt to Cal’s ego and he is desperate to rehabilitate his reputation. He should be allowed to right the ship and get his priorities in order, but the clock is ticking.

• UKFanSC
      6:34 pm May 2, 2021 Permalink

VaCat, that was an astute observation. I have never considered Cal in that particular light, nor have I seen it articulated quite that way. I think he does think of the program as “his”….that perspective explains a lot.
      Knowing how proud Calipari is, 2020 and 2021 have been nightmarish for him I’m sure. The death of Terrence Clark the biggest blow of all. He’s done quite a bit for the University of Kentucky during his tenure, and he deserves every opportunity to work himself out of this jam. I was hopeful we would have a more active off-season with respect to transfers. But there is still time

31. wadmalawcat
    2:55 pm May 2, 2021 Permalink

^^^ To both of these

32. dave1964
    7:20 am May 3, 2021 Permalink

What this program needs is good news, week after week it has been only bad may it be losing transfers/recruits or players leaving Kentucky just need to stop the bleeding.