If you could host a college hoops dinner, who would you invite?

Dana O’Neil over at ESPN.com tossed out a fun scenario for college basketball fans this morning: If you could host a hoops-centric dinner, which five people, living or dead, would you invite?

ESPN personalities will take turns answering all week, leading off with O’Neil today. She went with John Chaney, Al McGuire, Bill Walton, and Richard “The Fixer” Perry (only four, for some reason) at St. Elmo’s in Indianpolis. The menu will include steak, crab and veggies.

Now it’s my turn…

hoops-dinner

Location:

STK in Las Vegas, my favorite place to eat in America. (Sorry, Taco Bell.)

World Wide Wes

I’ve sat at a dinner table with World Wide Wes, and that night at Nick & Sam’s is exactly why he is No. 1 on the guest list at my imaginary hoops dinner. That night, not only did he order enough shots of Patron for everyone in the room, but he had the manager plug his iPod into the restaurant’s sound system so guests could listen to his favorite songs over dinner, replacing the traditional classical music usually played in that setting. The neighboring tables weren’t amused, but that didn’t stop Wes from blaring Jay Z’s “Magna Carter Holy Grail” album on repeat. The night ended with Wes testing my Jay Z trivia (which won KSR backstage access in Vegas) before he donated his iPod to the restaurant so the music could continue after he left.

Adolph Rupp

It is unlikely he will like Wes’ music, or Wes, but Adolph Rupp would be the second college hoops personality to receive an invite to my dinner. It’s the obvious selection, so it needs little explanation. I want to hear Rupp’s stories from his reign in Lexington and, above all else, a selfie with Adolph Rupp would get all of the Instagram likes.

Andy Enfield’s Wife, Amanda

USC head coach Andy Enfield (that guy with the gap in his teeth who led Florida Gulf Coast to the 2013 Sweet Sixteen) is married to a former supermodel and no one on Earth knows how he did it. It’s arguably the biggest out-kicking of coverage in sports history. I mean, she’s a total smoke show and he looks like this. So with her poor taste in men in mind, Amanda Enfield gets a seat at my table and the server better make damn sure her wine glass stays full. (I call dibs, Adolph.)

Charles Barkley

Just in case Wes isn’t in the mood for tequila, Charles Barkley will be around to keep the party going. Chuck’s generosity at the bar is well-documented and I saw it firsthand at the SEC Tournament this year..

He gets an invite and we’re going out afterward, with or without the others.

Bill Keightley

Like Rupp, Keightley’s seat at the table doesn’t need an explanation. I want him around for his best behind the scenes UK basketball stories, because he’s seen it all.

On The Menu

We’ll start with oysters on the half shell, king crab, and lobster cocktail before tackling the bone-in filet with sweet corn pudding, lobster mac and cheese, parmesan truffle fries, and creamed spinach. We’ll top that off with a box of moon pies, Bill Keightley’s favorite.

And now I’m starving.

Give us your location, guest list and menu in the comments section.

Article written by Drew Franklin

29 Comments for If you could host a college hoops dinner, who would you invite?

1. ScottyB
    8:11 pm July 28, 2014 Permalink

OK. Coach Cal, John Chaney, Bob Huggins, Pitino, and Jim Calhoun at Porccini’s. There would be some fireworks(the kind that don’t last 15 seconds).

2. Tyler Schmidt
    8:18 pm July 28, 2014 Permalink

I’d have to say. Rupp.. Wa wa, cal, lebron, and jay z? Of course!!!!

3. gordonm
    8:22 pm July 28, 2014 Permalink

Drew, you might have had the muchies b4 you posted this. LOL

4. really
    8:23 pm July 28, 2014 Permalink

Riff Raff, Action Bronson, The fat girl from Tammy and Flipper

5. pseudonym
    8:25 pm July 28, 2014 Permalink

I would have dinner at Porcini’s with Rick Pitino, Joanne Pitino, Karen Sypher, and a person with a movie camera so I could watch what happens over and over! I would also take Coach Cal along so he could get a good laugh.

• ANOTHER
      9:05 am July 29, 2014 Permalink

win for the CATS!!!

6. Paducah Patty
    8:26 pm July 28, 2014 Permalink

Adolph Rupp, Joe B. Hall, Oscar Combs, Matt Jones and Coach Cal.
    Wheeler’s Pharmacy. I think that is where all the UK stories are really told. And maybe Matt would finally tell the stories that would be on the Billy Gillespie uncensored podcast!!

7. gordonm
    8:28 pm July 28, 2014 Permalink

Not sure who would be there but Karen Sypher would be the hostess for the night.

8. Yo
    8:29 pm July 28, 2014 Permalink

Kevin Stallings?

9. The list
    8:40 pm July 28, 2014 Permalink

Kentucky Version
    Rupp
    Keightly
    Combs History lessons would be fantastic
    Calipari
    Hall

NBA version
    Jordan
    James
    Bird Greats upon greats
    Johnson
    Russell/Chamberlain

Probably could substitute a few of your favorites in here.

Coaches only version
    Rupp
    Henry Iba
    Knight Basketball knowledge only
    Krzyzewski
    Phog Allen/Dean Smith

Anywhere with a couple of drinks to get the stories flowing behind the curtain in the back room.

10. Bobbum man
    8:50 pm July 28, 2014 Permalink

Gillespie big cuz cal bobby knight, and a random KSR comment sectioner in order to keep my speaking techniques and proper grammar in check as well to discuss politics and religion

11. CatFan4Life
    8:54 pm July 28, 2014 Permalink

Adolph Rupp, Bill Keightly, Cawood Ledford, and Oscar Combs does any name on the list really need an explanation. The location at Coach Cal’s house and the menu would be anything the greats would want.

• spookykim
      9:27 pm July 28, 2014 Permalink

Keightly, Cawood & Oscar Combs = major big blue goosepimples!

12. Greg
    8:57 pm July 28, 2014 Permalink

The Baron
    Joe B.
    Cawood
    Mr. Keightly
    Cal

13. Bradinnmississippi
    8:59 pm July 28, 2014 Permalink

Rupp
    Cal
    Dr. Naismith
    Ralph Beard (He went to school with my dad would like to hear some stories)
    Joe B Hall
    Ruth Crisp hopefully I’m not paying

14. Stephen
    8:59 pm July 28, 2014 Permalink

Pat Riley; Jerry Tarkanian; John Calipari; John Thompson; Dave Gavitt

Le Bernardin, NYC:

Lobster Wassabe Amuse Bouche; Hamachi Crudo; Sea Urchin Risotto; Halibut with Nage; Passion Fruit Gelato. Easily the best meal I’ve ever had. Worth repeating.

Riles gets the tab.

15. bilbo
    9:05 pm July 28, 2014 Permalink

Tiger Woods sister
    Skylar Diggins
    Harrison twins
    Serena Williams

• bilbo
      9:08 pm July 28, 2014 Permalink

I don’t need Andrew and Aaron raining on my parade substitute them for the Lopez twins…. The females. Ha

16. Hoops
    9:10 pm July 28, 2014 Permalink

Vitale, Dick
    Auerbach, Arnold “Red”
    Tarkanian, Jerry Ester (yes, that’s right, Ester) aka “Tark the Shark”
    Calapari, John
    Johansson, Scarlett (this is my list and I’ll invite who I want)

Dine on burgers and pitchers of beer at Manuel’s Tavern in the Virginia Highlands area of Atlanta..

17. crazycatfan
    9:12 pm July 28, 2014 Permalink

Adolph Rupp, Cotton Nash, John Calipari, Darius Miller, A. Harrison.

18. cheap snapbacks online
    9:38 pm July 28, 2014 Permalink

It is actually the right time to use caps, some use it to
    show power, some Last Kings hats put it on to exhibit style and
    several get it done through the defense of unfavorable climate conditions.
    cheap hats

19. Amanda Lou
    9:48 pm July 28, 2014 Permalink

Location: Mesa Grill Las Vegas
    Invitees: Coach Rupp, Pat Riley, Jamal Mashburn, Jamaal Magloire, Rajon Rondo
    The eats: Appetizers of Tiger Shrimp and Roasted Garlic Tamales, Entree of Cioppino (we would convince them to put it back on the menu for this meal) Dessert of Toasted Coconut Layer Cake

20. RSW
    10:48 pm July 28, 2014 Permalink

Charles Barkley
    Pat Summitt
    Pete Maravich
    Robin Roberts
    Magic Johnson
    Coach Cal

Don’t really care where we would eat because a meal at McDonalds would be awesome with this group!

21. Cats
    10:52 pm July 28, 2014 Permalink

Andy must be hung like an old pump handle.

22. UKBlue
    11:22 pm July 28, 2014 Permalink

Drew: Nice menu & STK is good, but Mastro’s is way better.

Diner Guest: The Rat Pack (Sinatra, Martin, Davis, Lawford, Bishop) since they are a pack as 1 guest & have stories, the man him himself Jesus, Nicole Scherzinger because she is beautiful & can sing, George Clooney because well he’s Clooney, and Cal.

Open Menu & Open Bar; whatever you want.

23. Anonymous
    11:32 pm July 28, 2014 Permalink

I’ve had dinner with Wes before at Dudley’s in Lexington during the alumni game last year. It was incredible and random. He bought my entire meal and drinks. We proceeded to the Hyatt following dinner where MKG picked us up and we went to tin roof. Wes then handed me his black card and told me I was in charge of his tab for the night. Somehow he took interest in me and we still keep in touch via two of his 1736393 phone numbers. He was awesome and I’m lucky he considers me a friend.

24. A female fan
    12:47 am July 29, 2014 Permalink

My dinner would include Cal and since he will do all the talking the rest of the guests will be for visual enjoyment, George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Matthew McConaughey, & Chris Hemsworth. It would be up in one of the banquet rooms at Malones and they could order whatever they want.

25. bigbluetruth
    7:34 am July 29, 2014 Permalink

Mr. Adolph Rupp, Joe B. Hall, Dan Issel and Mike Casey

26. avl
    11:57 pm July 29, 2014 Permalink

John Calipari, John wall, julius randle and Michael Jordan.
    Menu: steak or hamburger s