I Saw UK Basketball’s Future…and It’s Jamal Murray

jamalbiggame

I know it’s Friday night and thus many, if not most, of you were out doing other things. But you missed it. You missed the chance to see the future of UK Basketball. The future of UK Basketball is Jamal Murray and he was special on Friday night. Helping Team Canada knock off Team USA in Overtime, Jamal Murray did something that rarely happens in non-UK basketball games…he got me out of my chair and openly cheering for a team not in the Blue and White. The fact that the team I was rooting for was in red and playing against the Stars and Stripes was even more bizarre, but I couldn’t help myself. If you are like me and Kentucky basketball will always be your #1 sports team, then you couldn’t help but be thrilled as you watched the future of UK hit the spotlight right before your eyes.

Murray was amazing…22 points, all of which were in the 4th Quarter and Overtime. But that doesn’t even tell the tale of his dominance. After not scoring during the first three quarters, Murray started the 4th with his team down six and proceeded to take over the game and elevate the entire spectacle to another level. His passing was exquisite, hooking up multiple times with Anthony Bennett for perfect dimes that led to dunks. He played strong defense, rebounded efficiently and showcased a flair for the dramatic, hitting shots from all angles. During Overtime, he hit two back-to-back threes that gave Team Canada its final lead, both of which were so sweet that ESPN announcer Fran Fraschilla began to chuckle at the show being put on before his eyes. The Canada coach realized that even on a team with NBA pros in the lineup, Murray was the star and the future, and every big moment saw the ball in his hands, including a regulation buzzer beater that he just missed. It was thrilling to watch and provided one of the better random basketball viewing experiences I can remember. Take a look at some of his best plays:

Some may say that after this game we should all take a step back. It is true that Murray didn’t score for the first three quarters of the game and did have three turnovers during the closing minutes of regulation. Plus, the American team was an odd assortment of players, ranging from college stars such as Ron Baker to journeyman European league pros like Damien Wilkens. But such attempts at stealing my joy will be treated as lame party-pooping nonsense. The reality is that in a game on a big stage in his home country, Jamal Murray was a revelation. Everything we thought he might be able to do, he can and better than we thought. When Kentucky lost out on Malik Newman, Jaylen Brown, Stephen Zimmerman and others, many wondered if Calipari’s recruiting magic had slipped and UK could be in for a down year. Wonder no more. Jamal Murray is the best of that bunch and along with Ben Simmons and Skal Labissiere, he will challenge for the honor of best Freshman in college basketball.

Tonight I saw the future of Kentucky Basketball and he is a Maple Leaf ready to win his country the Gold Medal tomorrow night before coming to Lexington this fall and electrifying Big Blue Nation on the chase for #9.

Article written by Matt Jones

69 Comments for I Saw UK Basketball’s Future…and It’s Jamal Murray

1. caliparty
    8:41 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

This is from an article by Kyle Tucker.
    “Fraschilla said he and ESPN play-by-play man Dan Shulman, who is calling the Pan Am Games for the network, chatted with Murray this week about the Champions Classic in November, a four-team event where Kentucky will play Duke.”

“Murray told them he might not be able to play because he would have class.”

So does this mean Murray believes/ knows he is going to miss some time during the regular season?
    just wondering.

• seefus
      9:18 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

i read that too. wonder what he meant by that.

• caliparty
      11:14 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

I know i don’t understand why fans aren’t talking about this more. If this is true Murray will arguably be missing the biggest game of the regular season. Look at everything that has gone on between UK and Duke in recruiting lately and the obvious fact that the two programs are #1, #2 in CBB right now.

Another interesting point is that the last time we played Duke in this event the situations were reversed. We had just come off a NC and were clearly at the top and gaining momentum in CBB. Today Duke is coming off a championship, Coach K has adopted (and succeeded unfortunately) with 1 and dones, and is gaining momentum in recruiting while we seem to be plateauing. I think you could argue that v.s. Duke nxt season is Cal’s most important regular season game of his tenure at UK (so far)

• BleedBlurFromTX
      12:47 am July 25, 2015 Permalink

I wouldn’t worry too much about it, actually. I just read the article and I believe it’s just a little joke about how Murray gets nervous in the spotlight. If there was a real reason he couldn’t play, I’m sure we’d know about it.

2. Randolph Vance
    8:44 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

I think he should keep the Number 6 when he comes to Kentucky.

This is one rising superstar to watch!

• bigcatstanding
      11:08 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

#4 ?

• Gregory Bush
      11:09 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

Go Murray GO

3. Jerry Lovett
    8:51 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

I watched the game and was very impressed with this kid. He was the main man in 4th quarter and overtime! Glad he’s coming to UK!

4. Blue_denim
    8:51 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

Hey Matt you should never root for another country against the U.S. in international play bro. Not cool. I’m excited for Murray also though lol. Can you imagine how good he’ll be in his twenties?

• Do you even watch basketball?
      9:21 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

He’s a Duke grad, what do you expect?

• Blue and White
      9:55 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

What do you except from a liberal?

• Mike
      10:27 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

I “except” a liberal to be president in 2016. Donald Trump is now the face of the conservative party…..

• GIT OUTTA MY COUNTRY
      10:30 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

Yeah Matt! Cuz Murica has to be #1 in everything including asinine sporting events. Except education. And healthcare.

MURICA!

• canecat
      10:36 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

goo CANADA ! GO Murray!

• Eyebleedblue
      10:51 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

The 1 million illegal aliens who have committed felonies are the face of the Democrat party.

• Plumloopy
      11:21 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

Mr Trump (aka. Eyebleedblue), I was not aware you were a UK fan. Welcome.

5. Randolph Vance
    8:51 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

The 6 when Jamal Murray looks down at it from his head will be a symbolic Number 9!

Clever, eh? 🙂

6. Wanda
    8:59 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

His jersey # is 4….and he is AMAZING!! SOOO ready to watch our Cats play!! I’m a little confused about the statement he made about maybe missing the Duke game because he may have class.

7. UKALLDAY
    9:04 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

The kid is good but lets not get ahead of ourselves here, there are a lot of holes in his game that will surely get better when he gets to Lexington and lets the UK coaches refine his game a little. He still struggles with pressure, he still does not make crisp passes, he floats his passes which lead to them getting stolen. He needs to do that chest pass drill, so he can add some mustard to some of those lolly pop passes. I still say Briscoe and Ulis are more skilled guards especially at the lead guard spot. Jamal can shoot, Jamal can score. He needs to get it in spots where he can take advantage of those skills and work on improving those other areas.

• Do you even watch basketball?
      9:20 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

Couldn’t agree more. Good? For sure. But “the future” and all that? Cmon. He hit some threes and has a goofy lookin shot. He’s being over hyped. Ullis ftw.

• bigcatstanding
      10:03 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

I think I’m going to disagree. I mean get real this kid in crunch time In every game that matters has been the best player on the court. USA vs the world of course him on the World Team best player on the court. Canada vs USA down six points him being the only kid aka=18 contributing late best player on the floor. And maybe you forgot to watch him and his lackluster D fence as you would probably think lol. That’s right maybe you forgot to watch him D up the》》 Brown kid that was absolutely going off before Murray was assigned to him ??

8. Real talk
    9:36 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

Of course Matt also stated that Uk had the best guards in the country with the twins last year.

• Mike
      10:32 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

The Twins, Devin Booker, and Tyler Ulis. What team had better guards?

• Real talk
      10:55 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

Why not throw in cliff Hawkins while your at it, since you enjoy changing the statements to your likings… Matt stated he wouldn’t trade THE TWINS for any guards in the country when neither were rated in the top 15 in America

• bigcatstanding
      11:15 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

for one thing Andrew Harrison had as good a year as any point guard in the land, Aaron Harrison as good a clutch shooter probably that’s ever stepped on the big stage, aka The Big Dance.
      those two being a huge part of back to back Final Fours, their first year as freshman playing for the championship. ( punk Louisville fan) do some digging and find guards over the last couple years that accomplished or proved more.

• Mick
      2:06 am July 25, 2015 Permalink

Hey, dont talk shit about Cliff Hawkins.

• Brian
      6:03 pm July 25, 2015 Permalink

Hmmm, Andrew Harrison or Chris Jones…. tough call.

9. Can't wait for the season
    9:40 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

Kid looks great-looking forward to seeing him play in blue–he is going to be a force along the others….

But I’m pretty sure he travelled on that 3rd vine- took a hop back before shooting

• Sgt. Stadenko
      10:05 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

You beat me to it…the kid is great no doubt. However, he got away with the ole hibbity dibbity on that step back three. Definitely a travel

• bigcatstanding
      10:06 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

wrong just wrong. There’s nothing in the rules that says your two and a half steps has to be forward toward the basket ?

• Sgt. Stadenko
      9:24 am July 25, 2015 Permalink

Can’t re-establish your pivot foot smarty

10. jneal
    9:45 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

I was at the game in Toronto. He had a lot of pressure on him. Canadian crowd loud and high energy. He played great aside from a couple wild passes, though some very pretty ones too. He hit the shots he needed to. It is good big game experience for him. He has the raw material to be a great contributor at UK. His high school number is 23 and he should keep it and save me buying my kid a new jersey!

11. Fran Fraschilla
    9:54 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

Why didn’t you mention he likes to go left?

12. bigcatstanding
    9:56 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

Ya

13. UKcory15
    9:57 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

Don’t FORGET Briscoe is very good and Murray isn’t the only guard on the team.

• Who?
      10:15 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

Who is Murray?

14. 2002 Duke Grad
    10:00 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

Great player for sure. But Cal needs 7 or 8 future pros to win a title. Not sure if this UK team has enough talent for Coach Cal.

• bigcatstanding
      10:14 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

pretty freaking ridiculous coming from a Dook grad = talking about a coach needing future NBA players. I mean get real over the last 30 + years Coach K and Dook has had more future pros & or 5 star athletes then the next 100 teams combined.

• Mike
      10:35 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

The Louisville fans on these boards pretending to be Duke fans crack me up.

• 2013 Louisville Grad
      6:05 pm July 25, 2015 Permalink

Louisville SUCKS!

15. ESPN 30 For 30
    10:18 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

What if I told you a team would go 38 and 0 and then have to face a lowly Wisconsin team?

• bigcatstanding
      10:31 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

what if I told you that a team like Kentucky that seemingly on every possession drive the ball to the basket only to shoot 10 free throws vs a lowly Wisconsin team that is and are perimeter oriented, aka that lonely Wisconsin team shop 30 plus free throws. Wonder if that might explain a little about the outcome of that game. Also who could say that they are or weren’t worthy of being there if they took care of everyone on their way to the Final Four.

also anyone that knows anything about gambling knows the hit that Vegas was going to take if Kentucky went undefeated. there was an article the week of the Final Four that said it was in the billions.
      So I’m pretty sure somebody’s bank account or bank accounts reflected just how serious they were about changing history!!

• Wow
      10:39 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

You sound like a huge [email protected] You had 53 pros and couldn’t beat a team full of slow white guys. Give me a break.

• bigcatstanding
      11:02 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

at this point I would say sounding like one is a helluva lot better than being one= like yourself boy.
      because we all know yourself included= because I know you pass a mirror now and again that says
      ( if you were to fall on a steep Hill you would roll to you starved to death BIG BOY !

16. bigcatstanding
    10:22 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

maybe it’s just me and maybe international rule allows you to set moving screens over and over and over I could keep going I mean Kaleb Tarczewski seemingly set 5 illegal screens on every offensive possession. I would say Murray is pretty darn beat up at this point fighting over all those stick your leg out moving screens the big dumb kid from Arizona was setting.

17. LeitchfieldAlex
    10:24 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

Yea it probably was a good night for JM but I had better things to do this Friday night. He’s a winner and glad to get him but we BBN get all TOO excited bout recruits sometimes. These are 17-18 yrs. old guys and are good athletes, nothing more or less they’re not Gods people. Calm down Matt!! Go Blue!

• bigcatstanding
      10:46 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

I would say 4 you rather than to show up and comment about something you’re not interested about or not excited in. because guess what the conversation is going to be about kids 17-19 ?
      because last I checked with the landscape of college basketball= that’s what we’re going to be cheering for if we have a solid to good or great team.

& maybe we should leave it this way I won’t tell you how to spend your friday nights you don’t tell me Who to be excited about. Because last I checked Jamal Murray was on the court with several n_b_a players and looking like the best player on the floor. Last I checked that might be something to be excited about.
      oh almost forgot to mention not just in 1 game 4 back to back games !

18. Annsguy
    10:40 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

What do you people do complain about a true blessing. This kid just had 22 points. All critical points. And he is a Cat. It was not a walk because they didn’t call it. Kinda like the shot clock that ran out but didn’t against the Badgers.
    If Cal is wise he lets this group play. If Murray can get 30 then go for it. I think we spread the wealth too much last year. I am excited but you all keep seeing the glass half empty

• bigcatstanding
      10:54 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

finally someone with some damn sense on here.
      as I said earlier this kid in big games looks like the best player on the court no matter who he’s playing with or against.
      also maybe we don’t have the size we had last year, I see that as a good thing this team could be the College version of the golden state and kill everyone with Some small ball

• Fo real
      11:02 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

The only complaint is listening to the homers get all slobbery and start with the 40-0 because we got a recruit that KSR likes to build up to get the homers excited. We had John Wall, Bledsoe, Boogie and Patterson on a team (all light years ahead of JM) and won nothing. Some of us would like to just watch and enjoy a season without fools destroying it by proclaiming we have unbelievable talent that will dominate all other teams. Then when they lose…..it all starts up again the next year.

19. Rent
    11:04 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

I agree with everything you wrote Matt. Hell I was late for work,while sitting in a parking lot watching on ESPN app. Jamal is extremely special.

20. Gregory Bush
    11:11 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

LEGGGGGGOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. ShawnDeath
    11:29 pm July 24, 2015 Permalink

There is no need to build this kid up or drum up any hype. He is hitting us with the truth. Either accept what your watching or don’t, but this kid is giving the business to competition that is on par with what he’ll face in the upcoming season.

Melo Tremble was one of the best point guards in college basketball last year. Baker is a damn good player as we all know first hand.

We will not be as deep as last year, but I have no doubt our starting 5 is better this upcoming year. With our 3 guard lineup of Ulis, Briscoe, and Murray we will be able to penetrate at will, and if that path is cut off – it will be lob city for Alex, Marcus, and Skal.

22. Coolioo
    12:29 am July 25, 2015 Permalink

All of us tend to get way over hpyed seeing a player go off in an AAU or McDonalds Game adn those games are a joke. This was a real game with real players. Many of the top guards like Tremble and Valentine coming back to College next year. And Murray played insanely well and was so hot he had to be the key to stop down the stretch and USA couldn’t do it. Let’s also remeber that Few didn’t let his boy Wiltjer see the court but let the 2nd youngest player in the entire tournament LEAD his team down the stretch…..In my opinion, this was the best validation of almost any inomcing freshmen UK has had. Not saying he is a Wall or Davis, but we should say “based on real games, he is for real…..”

23. Coolioo
    12:32 am July 25, 2015 Permalink

Forgot to mention this was NOT a one game performance. He is averaging over 15 points a game and if they win it all I would be shocked if he isn’t on the all Pan Am games Team…..

If they re ranked the incoming class, this performance would move him to top 5, as performing like he has in this enviornment is better than performing well at a Peach Jam type of event

24. P
    12:47 am July 25, 2015 Permalink

After KSR did away with their anonymous comments section. I decided not to post anymore on KSR.

But recently KSR came back to include comments from anonymous users and I felt Safe to post anonymously online again on KSR.

Tonight I viewed my Yahoo account, it shows every entry I posted on KSR within the last few months. It does not include the details, but it mentioned I made a post…So the question remains, are you really safe to post on KSR? The facts need to be out there in fast changing technology world…..

• Anonymous
      10:39 am July 25, 2015 Permalink

Or you could just use a fake email address.

25. Angelo
    1:46 am July 25, 2015 Permalink

Murray looks fantastic! What will Cal do with three super guards? Should be interesting…

26. Angelo
    2:41 am July 25, 2015 Permalink

Murray plays Saturday on ESPN2 at 4:30 pm, I think EST.

27. UKCATSFREAK
    6:11 am July 25, 2015 Permalink

It never ceases to amaze me how butt hurt some of you rival fans are over UK. Its hilarious! Seriously, its Friday night at 10:30 and youre on a rival website! You’re not on your team’s site, you’re on our site trying to run your trap like you know something. You’re just a freaking joke and its pathetic that you are so obsessed over UK that you spend your Friday night checking up on our fan pages.
    For WOW and Duke Grad…..you’re an idiot!! And you have no life. So, go back to your game of DandD and leave the basketball talk to us cause you are freakin CLUELESS!!

Coolio and BigCatStanding……..couldn’t have said it better myself. This kid is a freakin STUD! There are always going to be UK fans who try to down play a player or recruit but those same fans are probably not even watching his games. I have seen every single recruit from Cal and watched everyone of them play prior to the season and I am as excited for Murray as I have been for any of them, including Wall and Davis. I think this kid is really special. Sure, every player is going to make a bad pass or a turnover here and there but his skill set is amazing. You don’t see many players his age hitting step back 3’s like that or making the smart hesitation moves that he consistently makes perfectly, especially on a huge stage like this. So, you so called “fans” can try and nitpick his game all you want but I will bet my farm that he is a star this year.

ShawnDeath……great points and great post but I have to disagree about seeing Murray at the 3spot, even if it is a “3 guard lineup”. I’d bet that we see Ulis and Murray in the backcourt with Briscoe coming off the bench and we see Mulder at the spot. That allows Poy to play mostly at the 4. I’m sure there will be times when Ulis, Briscoe, and Murray are on the floor together but I think Briscoe will be coming off the bench. That’s what I’ve taken from what Cal has said and it makes sense to me. Mark it down!!

Lastly, for Fo Real………. None of Bledsoe, Boogie, nor Patterson were light years ahead of Murray at this point. I wouldn’t even say Wall was either. Sure, Wall had more athleticism and raw talent but even he wasn’t as polished offensively as Murray is at this point. Maybe you forgot but Boogie struggled until mid way through the season and never had this kind of offensive power before getting on campus. Same for Bledsoe, he never had these offensive skills while at UK. I dont even need to mention Patterson cause thats just absurd. So, I’m not sure where the hell you’re getting that those guys were so far ahead of Murray at this point. The only rational thing I can think of is that you just haven’t even seen Murray play in these games. That’s all I can think of logically, either that or you are off your rocker. Both may be the case, IDK. But this kid is a STUD from Day Uno and will be amazing this year. This is the type of player that can put a team on his shoulders and carry them to the promise land on the biggest stage. That’s who Jamaal Murray will be at UK. Mark it down.

• bigcatstanding
      9:03 pm July 25, 2015 Permalink

I guess because I continued to agree with almost everything you said that I finished your entire post. Point being dead on and I can see Jamal Murray running the team quite often allowing Ulis to work himself open because of his outstanding outside shooting. The only thing I see that I might disagree with slightly is I think they will run a 3 G Office quite often, mainly because there won’t be a team on the college level that will be able to keep them out of the paint.

as far as someone mentioning John Wall and different ones being light years ahead of Murray, wrong jamal is light years ahead of any of those at this point Wall and Bledsoe being more athletic the only advantage they brought to Kentucky. GO CATS

28. UK Freshmen
    7:50 am July 25, 2015 Permalink

Nothing like hyperbole from a UK fan.

29. UK Freshmen
    8:44 am July 25, 2015 Permalink

I am ill-equipped to offer up anything but a negative comment.

30. LeitchfieldAlex
    9:31 am July 25, 2015 Permalink

Yes I get excited like most UK fans do that’s normal. But I’m so sorry I don’t wet my pants over them right now. But when they come in and live up to expectations or near expectations=GREAT!!!! If they try and fail that’s fine too. If they wear a Big Blue UK jersey I’m all behind them all the way. I try to be a level head but I do understand the BBN train of thought. We all are still Cayts fans in the end. Go Blue!!!!

31. Catrus
    10:34 am July 25, 2015 Permalink

Murray is our 2015-2016 season.
    How on earth does the USA pick a team you might see at the Y? It was like Heaven’s Green Room with Damien Wilkins!! An all star team of just former UK players could have done better.
    They mentioned the physical play which will help Murray this next year.
    Each year Coach Cal has to teach the Freshmen to block out and rebound.

32. Jason
    11:06 am July 25, 2015 Permalink

Who are these USA kids……never heard of them? Apologies if this has already been asked…..not really. I don’t give shit. Just answer my question.

33. LeitchfieldAlex
    6:14 pm July 25, 2015 Permalink

OK I watched Jamal Murray today and he IS for REAL. A really good player and we do need that kind of guy this season. I think he will be one of our best players. I still haven’t wet my pants tho. lol

• bigcatstanding
      9:10 pm July 25, 2015 Permalink

as I said yesterday, it’s easy to tell you haven’t watched this kid play live. I mean get real up to this point he has 5 straight games not counting today’s game on a huge stage and had tremendous games all five times. I can’t think of one player in the history of basketball at this level that I can say that about aka a kid that should still be in high school one more year.
      so instead of giving yourself credit for being level headed, just tell the truth and say everything you know about J Murray is from what you’ve heard and what you try to tell people they haven’t seen.

34. Raw Recruits
    6:32 pm July 25, 2015 Permalink

Hey college basketball. Here comes Jamal Murray. Good luck.