I Hate Coach K (My Night Post for Tonight)

coach k

One of our two KSR editors, Tyler Thompson, is on vacation this week so being the good boss that I am, I volunteered to pick up a night post tonight to try and take some of the load off Drew Franklin. Tonight’s post was supposed to be a simple affair, in which I reviewed the state of Kentucky basketball recruiting, Mark Stoops’ comments today at the KSR Tour and the overall awesomeness of Slice Rohrssen. But then, like the evil dictator that he is, Coach K had to come out of nowhere and ruin my night. With one rumored decision, Coach K has once again topped my list of most disliked people in this great country. ESPN’s Brian Windhorst reported tonight that after Camp Team USA has been completed, it is expected that Coach K will pick Mason Plumlee to represent the team at the World Cup of Basketball over Demarcus Cousins. I want you to read that sentence again, this time with focus and if you are drinking, when you have become sober. Demarcus Cousins is reported to likely not make Team USA because Coach K prefers MASON FREAKING PLUMLEE!!!!

That sounds made up right? Like if you were going to create a “Coach K is the worst and favors mediocre white Duke players over talented skilled professionals,” Onion piece, you would probably title it “Coach K picks a Plumlee over Boogie,” wouldn’t you? It can’t be real. Coach K can’t favor a reserve averaging 7.4 points and 3.8 rebounds a game over Demarcus’s 22 and 15, can he? Demarcus Cousins is legitimately one of the top 5-8 big men in the NBA. His numbers this season probably should have made him a third team All NBA center and most people who know the game say he is about to have a 2-3 year breakout that could put him (along with Anthony Davis) as a potential All Star starter. And Mason Plumlee…well he was a decent reserve on an underperforming Brooklyn Nets team. Yet Coach K would rather have that Plumlee, Mason..or maybe its Miles, who heck the knows the difference, instead of Demarcus “you can’t guard me” Cousins. Sure thing K.

Its a headline and story so baffling that it almost defies belief. Look at these statistics comparing the two big men:

Bt65MfUIUAAfATZ

So the numbers aren’t even in the same ballpark. Now some may say, “but Matt, Mason is a good team player and Demarcus is a trouble maker!” Says who? What has Demarcus done that has really “caused trouble?” Yes, he has had a temper in games and has a number of technicals. But if he is on Team USA and he is in that mode, guess what he will do…be on the bench? And whoever would come in and take his place would certainly be much better than Mason Plumlee. But what has Demarcus ever done off the court to be a team chemistry killer? What teammates has Demarcus had that are not fans of him as a player? And would he not be on the same team as guys who are friends of his and former Calipari players like Anthony Davis and Derrick Rose (and possibly John Wall). One of the things that we learned long ago at Kentucky is that Demarcus excels based in part on those around him. What could be better for him, and what role could he serve better in, than on a team of other top talents with a common goal, all the while actually winning games.

I could break down the International game and tell you why Demarcus would also play well in that style (he is tough, rebounds, is physical and can hit a mid range jumper). Give me a skill that Miles Plumlee has that Demarcus Cousins does not…you can’t. The reality is that there is no explanation for a Plumlee over Demarcus except the Duke connection. Plumlee is not one of the top 40 big men in the NBA and putting him on the team would be the utmost in Duke favoritism over skill. Over the years we have seen Coach K shun top talent to put floor slapper in the game that are often scrappy, but underachieve in big games (hello Lehigh and Mercer). But to have those same odd decisions while with Team USA, that seems bizarre at best.

The only good thing about this decision? It once again confirms to me that Coach K is the worst. Over the years, Coach K had slowly backed down from his sole perch atop my disliked list that he climbed up in 1992 (sharing it with Laettner). Between saying the occasional nice thing about UK, winning at a high level and leading the USA to a gold medal (all the while praising Anthony Davis as the next star of the NBA), had slowly made me forget that at Coach K’s core is a black hole. He is the coach of the least likable team in basketball history, full of players that are spoiled and snotty, and helped in their success by an adoring media and a constant badgering of officials that borders on psychological warfare. I had forgotten that K, the one who looks like a rat and makes your blood boil during home games in Cameron Indoor. He had been replaced by the humble Coach K who lost to Mercer and then looked noble entering their locker room and congratulating them after the embarrassing upset.

Not anymore…picking Plumlee over Boogie reminds us that all good Coach K moments are a facade for the real Coach K. The real Coach K favors Duke and the worst of humanity over Boogie, the Big Blue Nation and all that is good. I had forgotten that I hate Coach K, but leave it to the Brown eyed Blue Devil to remind me by replacing a great American on the team of the Red, White and Blue. You won’t fool me again K…you are the worst.

Article written by Matt Jones

94 Comments for I Hate Coach K (My Night Post for Tonight)

1. Jimbob Bautista
    11:14 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

I hope Anthony Davis and John Wall withdraw from the team in protest.

2. Ukbradstith
    11:15 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

How did he even get invited? Surely there are better big men, but maybe they are too old, hurt, or whatever. But surely coach k would have to justify this and I don’t see how he could. Cousins should be starting along with rose, Harden, Davis, and Durant.

• JackB
      11:42 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

That’s my thing. He should not have even been working out. There is no way he is in the top 6-7 of big men – he doesn’t even start for his team.

• Musehobo
      3:35 pm August 1, 2014 Permalink

I’ve seen a lot of remarks about this in the past couple days and to me it’s fairly simple to point out why this is just the worst.

As someone who likes DC, but who understands why others don’t, I wouldn’t have a problem with Coach K not wanting DC on his team. With the attitude and technical foul numbers, I couldn’t fault him for being practical. But if that were the case, you wouldn’t even invite him to try out. It’s not like he’s building an NBA franchise here; it’s only for a few months. BUT, if DC didn’t make the team NO WAY Plumlee should. He shouldn’t even be there, let alone make the team. This would clearly be a case of Coach K playing favorites over what’s best for the team. That little rat thinks his [email protected] don’t stink and no one will question it. Please tell me someone in the national media is writing about this.

3. I Hope
    11:20 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

I Hope we get them this year and Coach Cal runs it up 40 biggins

4. Juan4UK
    11:20 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

Mason 7pts 4 reb and .9assist, .8blk, .7stl
    Miles 7pts 7 reb and .5 assist, 1,blk, .5 stl
    Marshall 1 pt, 2 reb, .1assist .3blk .2 stl

Plumlees bros 14pts, 13 reb, 1.5assist, 1.2blocks and 1.4 steals/gm
    Cousins: 22.7 pts,, 11.7 reb 2.9assists, 1.3 blocks, 1.5 steals/gm

Who you got?

5. Justin Kurkowski
    11:27 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

Its a Duke connection and it baffles me how he could possibly pick a Plumlee over Demarcus. The stats are not even in the same galaxy. I agree with Ukbradstith Cousins would definitely be a good starter especially for the overseas competition. He would be at home with the style of play. I mean I would rather have Kwame Brown who doesn’t play anymore and was a huge draft bust. Coach K just caused an uproar in the BBN. I’m sure he will hear about it…Wonder what Calipari’s thoughts are about it.. Matt ask him tomorrow when he comes on the show.

• really
      8:13 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

how did the Sprurs individual stats rank against the Heat??

6. DesignatedDrinker
    11:28 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

I hope he used a towel to get some of the load off of Franklin. Gross.

7. Cat dog
    11:39 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

Matt=Dukie
    Coach K=Dukie
    2 Dukies duking it out about a plumlee and a boogie.

8. Walter Kronkite
    11:39 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

I can’t even put my fury into words.

9. Culver
    11:39 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

Why did you have to bring race into the conversation about K picking his former player over a former UK player. Pathetic of you Jones in my opinion. You could of easily just pointed out the differences in production/statistics without bringing either player’s race into the mix.

• Culver
      11:42 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

“mediocre white Duke players”…useless and racist comment brought into the discussion.

• Seriously?
      11:54 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

He was stating a fact. Mason Plumlee IS white. Nothing else in his article went beyond that fact.

Maybe Coach K is playing the race card by picking a white player over a black player because the rest of the team is black. I hope that is not the case because I want a team to represent my country with the best possible players and choosing Plumlee over Cousins is not doing that.

• Jeff Schrembs
      2:47 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

I agree about why using one’s skin color in a derogatory manner. This isn’t the only time this has occurred.
      First time can maybe be overlooked. Two or more times = a pattern.

To those who try to justify this by saying “he is stating a fact” then let’s switch the word “white” with muslim. We all know that would never happen but yet…it would be stating a fact.

This is 2014 and I dealt with this stuff dating back to forced busing in Kentucky in the 70’s. We are better than that and, my friends, I am just stating… a fact.

• Grammar nerd
      4:08 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

Could’ve means could have. “Could of” means you cheated to get through high school.

• Seriouslier
      4:18 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

Seriously, the adjective white is entirely superfluous to the sentence unless the reader is to take away that white players are somehow inferior to those that are of other colors or that race was a deciding factor for Coach K. Both options are equally absurd and I think we can safely assume Jones isn’t accusing K of being a racist. So what are we left with other than the consideration that Jones is? Or to be fair is when it comes to matters of athletic skill. It’s a common slant and unfortunately one that ends up insulting both the white player and the black player (as this is typically the race of the player deemed more athletic because of nothing more than skin color). While the slight to the white player is fairly obvious one must also consider the stereotyped black player is being evaluated in much the same way the slave might be in days gone by. Had the headline been to the effect of Cousins chosen over Plumlee” would you be comfortable with Jones writing that Coach K went with a “talented, black player” over a mediocre NBA backup? What’s more what if it were that he chose a “mediocre, black reader” over the academically accomplished Plumlee”? Clearly not. So why should we be at ease with the inane descriptor “white”? In an era of Americans being overly sensitive to matters of race and racism I’ll risk saying that this is at least one example of stereotyping that bears reflection. Particularly as both parties are inherently victims of the generalities.

• shorty blue
      8:09 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

I can not stand how hyper sensitive our society has become. Oh no, he called a white player white. In general, black basketball players are better than white basketball players. It’s a fact. Over the last twenty years look at how many NCAA championship teams have been predominantly white and how many have been predominantly black. It’s not even close. Plumlee fits the stereotypical white player persona, not athletically as gifted as the elite level black athletes. In this case, using skin color as a description has merit and is warranted. Don’t make a non issue an issue and remember liberalism is a mental disorder.

• JBCat
      11:29 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

In no way do I believe Plumlee should be chosen over Cousins, but the irony of this thread is that Plumlee is actually the better athlete (jumps higher, runs faster) while Boogie is the better player (stats, skills, savvy)
      Stereotypes don’t always apply…

• Wampum Cat
      12:02 pm August 1, 2014 Permalink

Jeff Schrembs – I had no idea Plumlee was Muslim.

• Jeff Schrembs
      4:25 am August 2, 2014 Permalink

Grammar nerd – like 99.9% of liberals, or in this case an “anonymous commenters”, when faced with a valid point your only response is to try to deflect by casting aspersions.

Wampum Cat – you made me laugh…keep it up. I was saying is that no one, on this site or in the main stream media would ever (direct and/or infer) anything derogatory about “muslim” of “allah” so then why is adding, in this case, Plumlee’s skin color of “white” relevant?

To the infamous words of Martin Luther King, Jr. spoken aloud on August 28, 1963 (paraphrasing) “I look forward to the day when a man can’t be judged by the color of his skin but by the content of his character”. It will be 51 years ago (and I am 51 until Oct) in a few weeks. He gave his life for his principals and all I, and others, are saying is to simply keep out, in every instance, the color of one’s skin in these article/posts/etc.

There is so much great content, and comments, on this site otherwise.

PS: Seriously – man you hit the nail on the head. Great post/reply.

10. Ned Tugent
    11:40 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

That’s a slap in the face to Boogie, UK and most of all USA basketball. As coach you would think he would want the players that give the team and country the best chance to win a gold medal. A big, strong, talented should’ve been all star vs. a mediocore reserve who I doubt will even be able to hold his position in the paint. Not a very hard question you would think.

11. Mc
    11:43 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

He’s also adding Stephen Zimmerman’s and Malik Newman’s dads to the coaching staff.

12. buzzard
    11:46 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

WHY is coach K. (Rat face) even the coach of team,USA? He’s WAY OVER RATED as a coach. My little sister could take the players he gets and get past the first round of the NCAA tourney.

We can’t let him get away with this outrageous act of cronyism. BBN needs to take action!

• CatsBalls
      2:37 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

Four ncaa titles.

• TardNuts
      4:06 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

Double the titles pitino has.

• bigcatstanding
      6:45 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

Catsballs / big freaking deal, 4 championships two of which came by Of the exact same team everyone returning. 30 some years of coaching, having more talent than probably the next five teams combined, outside of North Carolina. he is and has been past his prime for quite some time. has absolutely bombed out, several times in the last 10 years.
      he tops that last year by bringing a 2 Sead to the tournament, losing to a stomach virus. the officials on par ;-), tried to give that game to them several times, but Coach K stinking it up so bad. making every wrong move possible, the officials finally had to give up and let nature take its course.

• really
      8:04 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

so Cal didnt win his title with overwhelming talent? you complain coack K has unathletic white boys in one statement and then say he has always had overwhelming talent in the next??

13. buzzard
    11:53 pm July 31, 2014 Permalink

I forgot to say coach k can KMFA!

14. According to 6 sites....
    12:10 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

Demarcus Cousins is a top 3 Center in the league….he got snubbed from the All-Star game and possibly USA….. Everyone tune into ESPN at 9pm….got a feeling Cousins is going to embarrass Plumlee on national TV.

15. ukfan
    12:30 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

Great post Matt, couldn’t of said it better myself. Random thought: you and drew need new pics up at the top of the site. Matt you look in your early 20’s and Drew looks like he’s bout to graduate high school. Mrs TT looks cute as usual.. See ya in Louisville!

16. Peter in Rome
    12:31 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

Mike Krzyzewski is Scared to death of the NEW Dominance that Coach Cal now has in the NCAA Men’s College basketball. I hope Coach K has not abused his power in fear like Adolph Hitler did and said Screw the USA! I AM IN CHARGE. I will choose the players that promote Me and Duke University….If that is the case, it is sad and unfair in my opinion to players who deserve to play for the USA Team…The best coach in the the NCAA today should be coaching this team and that is Obviously Coach Cal.

• bigcatstanding
      6:49 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

no sense in saying a whole lot, so I will just say Amen

17. Aristocat
    12:35 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

Mark Twain once said, “history doesn’t repeat itself, but it rhymes”. Picking Laettner over Shaq for the dream team…this isn’t the first time Coach K. has brought out these shenanigans.

18. Luther
    12:50 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

Come on, Matt.

1. At this point, it’s only a rumor.
    2. Cousins has a lot of talent but an equal amount of baggage.
    3. Jerry Colangelo has stated that Cousin’s immaturity is what’s holding him back from USA basketball.
    4. Though not nearly as talented as Cousins, Plumlee will be a serviceable back up and practice player.
    5. Don’t forget how far USA basketball has come under Coach K. I don’t care who he picks as long as he continues to bring home the gold medal…

• Buckets
      1:04 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

If not Cousins because of his “baggage,” there are plenty of other guys more deserving than Plumlee. This reeks of Duke/Coach K favoritism. Team USA is supposed to made up of stars/borderline stars. Plumlee is garbo and it’s ridiculous that he’s even among the pool of players being considered.

• Patrick
      1:06 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

1. Most of the time when rumors come out like this one has, it’s true.
      2. If they have the same amount of baggage, why not choose the better player??
      3. Colangelo made those statements 2 years ago and Cousins has the same amount of technicals has Blake Griffin and Kevin Durant (both were/is the current faces of USA basketball). The only difference was that Cousins played on a losing team so his technicals and such were made a bigger deal by the media and that what’s Colangelo has based his opinion on. He probably hasn’t even seen Cousins play.
      4. Would you rather send backups to play against the world or the best the NBA has the offer?? Even if Cousins doesn’t seem much playing time, he’s going to push the other players at his position to play harder and better.
      5. USA has gotten this far because, again, the best players were chosen and stayed committed to the USA program. This is something Cousins has been wanting for a very long time and he has adjusted his “attitude” for this opportunity. This is probably the first time a selection like this one will be questionable. It’s not like Coach K is choosing Andre Drummond or Greg Monroe over Cousins, but Mason “frickin” Plumlee???

• ????
      2:21 pm August 1, 2014 Permalink

If Cousins immaturity during the NBA regular season is what’s holding him back, then why even bother inviting him to Team USA Camp?

19. UKBlue
    1:20 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

Really is anyone surprised? The moment Boggie named was mentioned being on the team just like last time with Team USA, it was almost like a, yea they will screw him over just because they can. Yes Boggie has at times done some immature things, but at least he is vocal & out front about it, unlike I’m know others on the team where stuff gets covered up. Coach K no matter what is a UK hater & he couldn’t do this to Wall or Davis it would be too obvious so Boggie was the natural selection. Hope the Big Man just uses this for more motivation.

• Buckets
      1:53 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

WTF is Boggie? Boogie? If you misspelled it once call it a mistake, but three times? Jeez.

• CatsBalls
      2:39 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

Creature from Boggie Creek?

• Pete Thamel
      5:58 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

Went to see “The Legend of Boggy Creek” when I was a kid. Scared me as much as it would Masonic Plumlee having to go up against ‘Boggie’ in a loose ball floor scuffle.

• bigcatstanding
      7:01 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

I agree with your comment, I have one more thing to add people that show up to spell check, need to keep their butthurt asses, silent.
      I mean get real that was a very long post, among 30 some other post. meaning someone is so obsessed, they took the time to read that entire post, to only add that you misspelled a word 😉 or supposedly did.

20. Perfect Patterson
    1:57 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

Fool me once, stupid on me… Fool me twice, stupid on me again.

Go suck a big one you rat-faced wanker!

21. Comando
    2:07 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

Plumlee is seriously church league. Fouls and technicals equal passion in my book. Dude wants to win. Send Plumlee to the USA spelling bee.

• Big Cuz' Momma
      6:02 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

Right on Reverend. Best comment I’ve heard from this KSR Bully Pulpit.

• bigcatstanding
      7:08 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

exactly he only leads in one category, that being in the area of being a failure. DeMarcus Cousins, has three assists per game, compared to less than 1. And the other numbers are so lopsided in his favor as well it`s not even worth talking about.
      I brought up the assist, because it’s not like he is a point guard or even a small forward, and having three assists is pretty impressive. that to go along with 22 points, 15 rebounds.
      I would say that church league pretty much covers it.

22. Trueblupopeye
    2:23 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

Get-em Matt, Anthony Davis and John Wall will have something to say about this!!!!!

23. BGCat
    3:11 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

I could see it if Mason Plumlee was way faster/athletic or ran the court better. However he doesn’t do either all that much better then Demarcus, and he is better in every other category then Mason. If Mason gets the spot over Boogie then clearly Coach K isn’t coach enough anymore. I wonder if Charles Barkley would have made the team back in 1992 if he was in charge instead of an assistant?

24. CATandMONKEY
    3:38 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

If Coach K were a physician, a decision like this would suffice as prima facie evidence of gross malpractice.

25. Not surprised
    5:12 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

If this rumor is true we should not be surprised at all. Doesn’t mean we have to like it but it follows coach k’s pattern of hating UK, Coach Cal, and former UK players. Remember when Jerry Colangelo added AD to the US Olympic team against coach k’s objections in 2012? What about how John Wall was added to this years Team USA tryouts against coach k’s “better judgement”? I hope both DC and JW make Team USA but I seriously doubt they will unless some folks on USA basketball stand up to coach k’s tyranny against our former players. This is a prime example of doing what’s right for duke/coach k’s future and not at all about what’s best for Team USA. I really hope to see the committee force coach k to put DC and JW on the team and coach k blows a gasket and quits as Team USA coach.

Go Cats!

• bigcatstanding
      7:17 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

Amen, do you think there might be a chance to impeach him along with our president lol.
      believe me I’m not joking about either, absolutely cannot stand rat face.
      and this president has been the most unseen, unheard, absentee, president in my 50 years on this planet.
      well that is The case in him not being available, in a major crisis. him befriending, everyone that’s against Israel, and treating Israel like an outcast. one of our best allies.

GO CATS!!

• Brownstar
      9:53 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

“He is the coach of the least likable team in basketball history, full of players that are spoiled and snotty, and helped in their success by an adoring media”

Sounds like this president!

26. Ridge Runner
    6:55 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

Just plain stupid…

27. cris
    7:14 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

And just think..you chose to hand over A LOT of money to that sorry institution to further your education…..You, sir, are an enabler!

28. Revenge
    7:39 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

If rat face does have a brain fart and picks Plumlee over Cousins, BBN should stck together and throw a fit! Matt you have enough power to irritate the crap of out coach K if he makes this decision. Hopefully he will come to his sinces and choses Boggie. If not, call him out Matt!! BBN4LIFE

29. BigCatinVA
    7:45 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

Well, that sucks. I guess Drew better get used to ending each sentence with “a” and eating Putin. He is Canada bound! He is annoying sometimes but I’ll miss him. (Referring to his earlier post that he would move to Canada if this happened)

30. Test
    8:12 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

Test

• Yep
      12:55 pm August 1, 2014 Permalink

icles

31. 2014 Champs
    8:15 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

If you read the article you will see it is because Cousins can’t even control his temper in practice. The teams we will be playing like to play a little dirty. If cousins can’t control his temper even in practice, how will he do it in games? It has nothing to do with ability. He was punching the wall after a turnover in practice as they were going the other way for a dunk. It is his own fault. Why won’t you talk about that, Matt.

• Charles Barkley
      8:47 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

I couldn’t control my temper on the Dream Team. Also, we were filled with guys that “needed” the ball, yet somehow came together for the sake of the team and shared the ball.

If you don’t think any of the other players on this team have punched a wall (with a mat on it) in practice at some point, you’re delusional.

So if not Boogie, why not someone else other than Plumlee? There are 100 players that can do what he does and don’t need the ball.

Plumlee wasn’t even good enough to get minutes in the playoffs for the Nets. He played 11 mpg. Good stuff.

32. Jennifer
    8:16 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

I hope John Wall and Anthony Davis walk away from team USA if Coach K pulls this. It is time to show the UK brotherhood that will dominate NBA basketball…

33. Tim
    8:22 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

Yet Matt will still request a selfie with Coach K if he sees him

34. Laker Cat 18
    8:29 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

Coach K and Bobby Knight will room together in a nursing home very soon. It’s obvious K is in the early stages of alzheimers.

35. Paul Pelgen
    8:52 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

Boogie needs to come out midway thru the first practice with Hulk Hogan’s Real American Theme. Rip off a UK jersey and give that PENCIL NECK GEEK rat face a big leg drop

• Paul Pelgen
      8:54 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

Some one needs to put together some type of video with The Real American Theme and Boogie leg dropping Coach K and sent it to that loser

36. Beaumont
    9:01 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

Unbelievable, how in the world could Coach K have any sound reasoning to support a decision like this, other than playing favorites? Boogie needs to hire himself the best PR person out there… His reputation as a hard ass is really starting to burn him. Got to change that, if he can…

37. CATandMONKEY
    9:06 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

Even Plumlee’s Mom thinks this is an ignorant decision.

38. Lattner ON THE DREAM TEAM?!
    9:10 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

I can really see this happening. Laettner should have never been considered as part of The Dream Team, but if I remember correctly, he was.

• Mc
      10:00 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

At first I thought this same thing, but then I realized Laettner was actually pretty good coming into the league. He actually got good minutes unlike Plumlee.

39. tatter
    9:50 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

test

• Yep
      12:56 pm August 1, 2014 Permalink

icles

40. Blue Devil
    9:52 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

Easy choice. One is an all American type guy. The other would be jacking cars if not for basketball. Booger will trade in his uniform for an orange jumpsuit one day. Big Scuz is loco.

• Wow
      9:56 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

You should probably sit the next few out pal.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:00 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

Again,we see that the mentally and intellectually deficient are capable of posting on the internet.

• Mc
      10:02 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

There are 100 players in the league that can do what Plumlee does, but better. He played 11 mpg per game in the playoffs, and not much more during the season for a reason. He’s a decent athlete that’s average at everything.

So that’s it I guess. K is looking for someone that is familiar with not playing. That sounds like a good idea for Team USA level talent.

41. Joe Dennison
    10:33 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

Is anyone really surprised? I sure don’t like it and I totally disagree with it but is anyone really surprised?

42. Hypocrisy
    10:37 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

If you really hated Duke, you wouldn’t have gone to school there.

43. Greg Schaftlein
    10:57 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

I found on Coach K’s website the email address for his “assistant” Gerry Brown. So lets blow up this guys email box. [email protected]

• just stop
      11:35 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

^^^example A why the national media label UK fans as the most annoying in all of sports… I’m sure you are probably on Twitter bad mouthing teenagers as well.

44. No more white players period
    11:40 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

In this day and age, why are there even any white players at all. Matt Jones is right, why would you pick a white player over a black one. Let’s just call attention to the facts here.

Just kidding, but that was a little strange for Matt to include white in there, unless he was implying that white players are slow and not as athletic. #jimmythegreek

But seriously, can you really blame Coach K for wanting to keep his team cohesive. Coach Cal doesn’t recruit players who he thinks will be a detriment to his team. That doesn’t mean Cousins is a bad person; it just means Coach K thinks his white player will fit in better with his scheme.

Do we know that Coach K thinks Cousins will be a detriment to his team? We do not. This is all conjecture. Coach K knows Plumlee, and that makes his job easier. He knows what to expect and can rely on a trusted face on the sideline. We are UK.

But let’s face the facts. This is a sports blog, and we have seen time and time again that integrity is not a priority on here. I still visit daily, but that doesn’t mean I have to respect the authors or the stake holders. I know what to expect, and I know why I come here. Matt provides a lot of information that I like to keep abreast on, and so I am willing to look past the subtle racism and narrow-minded attitudes on here.

If I were looking for moral integrity, this would be the last place I would turn to. If you frequent this blog long enough, you will see that the writers are just average people with average attitudes. If you expect anything more, you will be disappointed.

In conclusion, Matt gets paid, and we get useless information about less important things in life.

#keepmedistracted

• SaratogaCatsFan
      1:37 pm August 1, 2014 Permalink

Spot on

• No more white players period
      2:27 pm August 1, 2014 Permalink

Thank you SaratogaCatsFan.

45. BluKudzu
    11:57 am August 1, 2014 Permalink

Here is the rub; Plumlee is not the talent needed for the these games. In any manner in which you will view strategies, the addition of Plumlee, as a starter, or off the bench, has no merit, period. The case is indefensible for Plumlee to be added to the roster.
    The only reason for his presence on the roster is for Coach K and his self-promotionalism.
    Team USA, needs to step in at some point and remind Coach K to do what is best for Team USA, not Coach K.
    This is so wrong, and so blatant, it is unforgivable.
    DMC forever.

46. Nadia
    1:27 pm August 1, 2014 Permalink

Well UK fans, many of you know what Coach K stands for. Responsible and sound mind players. Cousins not one of them. I don’t care for “Rat Face” Coach K and I apologize for name calling, but he won’t tolerate Demarcus Cousins irrational behavior.

47. Big BossMan
    1:51 pm August 1, 2014 Permalink

K is racist, plain and simple.

• No more white players period
      2:26 pm August 1, 2014 Permalink

haha

48. twocoach
    2:12 pm August 1, 2014 Permalink

Did you just call Demarcus Cousins “professional”? Maybe a professional idiot, but not a professional. Maybe Coach K just didn’t want a guy that is a total knucklehead on the team?

49. Late to the party
    2:28 pm August 1, 2014 Permalink

It’s K’s team and he’ll do what he wants, but this reminds me of John Thompson’s decision to put his guy Charles Smith on the Olympic team. That made the Russian team very happy.

50. JVice
    3:00 pm August 1, 2014 Permalink

Put the Coach K hate aside for a second and think. Whether you like him or not (and I don’t), he is one of, if not the greatest coach of all time. Hasn’t anyone considered that he may be putting this out there as a motivational tactic for DMC? At least, I hope that’s all it is.

51. Sully
    5:01 pm August 1, 2014 Permalink

This is a bit premature. First, Cousins is still on the roster and figures to play a lot in tonight’s scrimmage. Second, other observers of the drills so far have Cousins making the team, some ranking him as highly as sixth overall and the only player strong enough to deal with the likes of Marc Gasol. The Plumlee thing could happen–can’t put it past Coach K–but unlikely.

52. DS
    5:24 pm August 1, 2014 Permalink

Lots of second guessing of a guy who has won the last 2 Olympics. I get the K hate, and I know everyone loves DMC, but you can’t deny that the dude struggles defensively. Its not all about stat lines and Plumlee plays D. Team already has plenty of ammo on the offensive end.

Simmons and Z Lowe had the discussion the other day about this and they are both big DMC fans, but they talked at length that you’re building this team to play Spain, in Spain, where its going to be an absolute zoo. Do you trust someone as emotional as DMC in that situation?

Plus, this really could be Colangelo too. He’s really the guy who calls the shots with USAB

53. kingrex
    10:54 am August 2, 2014 Permalink

I am glad to see you write this article Matt, but are we really surprised? If you cannot take at least one of your guys then what is the point of being the head coach? That being said, Duke undergrads have consistently been one of my least favorite groups of people. What do you expect from an institution created by Duke Energy? Welcome back Matt.

54. DW
    1:41 pm August 3, 2014 Permalink

Even though I’ve always hated Duke, I still respected Coach K… well that just went out the window holy @#[email protected]!!!!!!! Has to be the dumbest decision I’ve heard of for USA basketball… and i’m probably not going to watch or support that… even dumber than Paul George going after that unnecessary defensive play which could have only ended positively as a foul… There is not one positive thing that Plumlee could bring over Cousins… “That’s Turrible, Just Turrible”!!!