How to watch tonight’s game (because it’s only online)

Kentucky plays Ottawa tonight on SEC Network +, the SEC Network’s digital service. That means it will not be televised and to see it, you’ll have to stream it.  In case you’ve never streamed a game before, here’s how you can watch:

You’ll need the WatchESPN app

If you have an Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick, Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku, Xbox 360 or Xbox One, you can stream the game via the WatchESPN app. Make sure you have the app downloaded. The game should show up under the “SEC Network +” menu.

If you don’t have any of these things, you can hook your iPad, tablet, or computer by connecting your best headphones for better sound quality. If you are planning to buy new headphones that can connect up to the TV, before making your mind to buy, read the reviews on Audio Direct of all the headphones and watch online. You can also watch it on your smartphone

Can’t figure any of that out? Listen on the radio

As always, Tom Leach and Mike Pratt will be doing thing on the radio broadcast. Matt will be on the SEC Network + broadcast with Buzz Baker and Ravi Moss, so he won’t be on the radio broadcast during the game, but he will be part of the KSR pregame and postgame shows. The SOplayer app can be installed on any compatible streaming device which helps deliver TV, VOD, and interactive services to users in an IP-based network. For example, an IPTV service provider is needed to activate the SO Player app which can be found in Play Stores.

Or, follow along on KSR

Tonight, we’re trying out a new way to cover games. In lieu of the live blog, we’ll post first and second half game threads for you all to follow along and comment on. The game threads will be similar to a live diary, but we’ll be counting on you guys in the comments section to make it a discussion. It’ll be weird not to have the live blog, but bear with us as we try it out. We think it’s the best way to get you guys immediate highlights.

How will you watch tonight’s game?

29 Comments for How to watch tonight’s game (because it’s only online)

1. UKBasketballLive
    4:13 pm November 2, 2015 Permalink

If you have issues with getting everything to work via WatchESPN, you can also watch the game here:

Also, check back on that site shortly after the game ends to watch a 720p HD replay.

• FRED
      4:19 pm November 2, 2015 Permalink

How will I be watching the game? With Wieners in hand!!

What? i’m making hotdogs

2. Nick J.
    4:14 pm November 2, 2015 Permalink

When you say “download the game” when referring to Amazon Fire, etc., you really mean “stream” the game, right? You download the Watch ESPN app (if you haven’t already), but you don’t download the game. Or am I totally missing something? (I’m using a Commodore 64, so I may not be able to see the game anyway.)

3. Johhny J
    4:17 pm November 2, 2015 Permalink

I have Verizon Fios and there is an SEC Network “Plus” and “Alternate” channel on it. So i will be watching it on TV. ANyone with SEC Network should have this option

• Cable Guy
      4:18 pm November 2, 2015 Permalink

Last I heard, the SEC Network has NOT agreed to put the game on their Alternate channel yet, though they have not totally ruled it out either.

4. TallyCat
    4:17 pm November 2, 2015 Permalink

Is it true that Time Warner is now allowing WatchESPN access to SEC Network games now? They weren’t as of a couple of weeks ago.

• Marj
      4:22 pm November 2, 2015 Permalink

Yes it is now – it wasn’t before…As of Oct 16th, just before Big Blue Madness, Time Warner Cable agreed to a deal with SEC Network for Watch ESPN to allow SECN+.

5. JZ
    4:24 pm November 2, 2015 Permalink

Any idea if Buffalo Wild Wings will be showing it?

6. BigBlueFaithful
    4:28 pm November 2, 2015 Permalink

Do you need a login for the WatchESPN app?

7. ForestCat
    4:29 pm November 2, 2015 Permalink

Will be streaming on the app. Watch a lot of sports that way.

• Caveman
      4:36 pm November 2, 2015 Permalink

Wow. You must be from the future.

8. BCO
    4:36 pm November 2, 2015 Permalink

So stupid. We live in the boonies and satellite internet isnt fsst or reliable enough to stream it since were close to the end of our monthly data limit (another rip off). We pay extra money to get every possible freaking sports channel and its not on any of them? SEC Network showing womens college soccer instead….cause you know thats gotta be a ratings bonanza.

I know Im whining about one exhibition game but dang, after mistakingly choosing to go to our pathetic excuse for a football game instead of this, Im kicking myself in the @$$…really wanted to watch this tonight.

9. ukjaybrat
    4:41 pm November 2, 2015 Permalink

anybody else have iheart issues for the pregame show. it keeps pausing/stopping playback after 10-30
    seconds

10. Blake Hendrickson
    4:50 pm November 2, 2015 Permalink

Xbox One always for the win. Invest in one people

11. Dom
    4:53 pm November 2, 2015 Permalink

Tims Warner customers now have access to SEC Network and SEC+ It’s about time. I will be watching via the ESPN App using my Time Warner credentials. GO CATS

12. [email protected]
    5:15 pm November 2, 2015 Permalink

How in THE HELL do I plug these red, white, and yellow cords running from my TV into my iPad? The stupid thing is too damn thin and the holes ain’t big enough.

13. Philip Hestand
    5:43 pm November 2, 2015 Permalink

The whole , not being able to watch the game live , while they show some half ass , spring football game , leads me to the conclusion that the SEC network can SMD .

14. Joe Thomas
    5:51 pm November 2, 2015 Permalink

Honestly I miss the days when you could just turn on WKYT, crack open a beer and watch the game. I have no idea what’s going on with this all streaming stuff and don’t have the time to figure it out. Looks like it’s the radio for me.

Moving all the games to SEC/ESPN network was NOT a good idea. What a nasty mess.

• Hmmm
      5:55 pm November 2, 2015 Permalink

I’m sure they said the same thing about the telephone…

15. LansingCat
    6:06 pm November 2, 2015 Permalink

I’m pissed there’s no live blog.

• UkAlum92
      6:27 pm November 2, 2015 Permalink

I agree…I am going to miss having my comments ignored

16. issel
    6:56 pm November 2, 2015 Permalink

I’m so sick of this shit the game should be on tv the sec network sucks i’m not watching on a computer im old basturd i dont know how to do that shit and now im hearing the second game going to be on i guess i,ll listen to it like 1970s pathetic!

17. janet
    7:19 pm November 2, 2015 Permalink

I thought when we got the sec network we would be able to watch the Ky games! There is everything but basketball on the network. We pay extra for this chanel and it is a joke! We are looking all over the tv and internet to try and find games and then still miss half of them while the network is airing soccer or some stupid documentary that has been shown a hundred times.I don’t pay extra to listen to some talking head or see some 70 year old football player that played 2 games in his entire career talk for an hour about his career.

18. sk
    8:13 pm November 2, 2015 Permalink

Just wondering who thought making it difficult to watch tonights game was a good idea?

19. Russann
    9:09 pm November 2, 2015 Permalink

We pay extra every month on our direct tv bill for SEC network just to watch the UK ballgames. We wait all year and then this crap happens on the first game. I don’t care if it is just an exhibition. We love our Wildcats and would really like to watch them play. Very upset over this, whose big bright idea was this to streamline it. A lot of people don’t have internet much less know how to streamline anything, I know my Dad doesnt. He loves his Wildcats and wants to watch them when they are playing. This is crazy.

20. catheaven
    11:15 pm November 2, 2015 Permalink

Thanks to all who provided info for watching the game. It’s great to see the team and getting the season underway. Thank you.

I would like to put ESPN on notice. . . Matt Jones (even in his cute suit), Dave Baker, and Ravi Moss do a much better job announcing on the sidelines than any CBS, ESPN, or SEC Network crew has ever done. They actually talk about the game that is right in front of them and the teams playing rather than droning on and on nonstop about junk. What a refreshing night to listen to these guys. Those other fools never shut up and talk about nothing.