How Playstation Helped De’Aaron Fox’s Basketball Skills

De'Aaron Fox UCLA

There’s a certain segment of the population, the “get off my lawn crowd,” that loves to condemn the work ethic of today’s youth.  The complaints come from a variety of angles, but my favorite is about video games.  Whether it’s about the violence or being too lazy to get out of the house, for this crowd of curmudgeons nothing good ever came from playing video games.

But what if I told you De’Aaron Fox wouldn’t be the same without NBA 2K for Playstation?

That jargon might not jive with some.  NBA 2K is arguably the most popular video game franchise in this generation.  It’s no NBA Jam.  The complexities of professional basketball are brought to the console, making it extremely difficult to master.  Fox spends approximately six hours a day playing video games.  A master of 2K, Fox’s father Aaron told Bleacher Report  he believes his habit has helped him become one of the nation’s best point guards.

“He was one of those kids you didn’t really have to teach much on the basketball court–show him something and he could learn,” Aaron Fox says. “A lot of people don’t believe me, but I tell everyone that that PlayStation helped him get where he is today.

“He’d play that PlayStation, and he could master it in no time. He learned pick-and-rolls. He learned how to roll off a ball screen. I tell kids if they want to learn something about basketball, go put it on pro mode on 2K and let them play.”

While many believe overstimulation is a bad thing, De’Aaron sees it as a positive.  He’s trying to train his mind to multitask, always keeping his brain on basketball.

Ask Fox how video games have made him a better basketball player, and he speaks about how he learned moves from playing NBA 2K that he incorporated into his game: the Allen Iverson crossover, the between-the-legs crossover size-up.

But video games are more than just a textbook to him. They’re training for his mind.

Fox identifies an of-his-generation skill, which older folks mock as the paralyzingly short attention span of the ADHD generation, that video games develop: an ability to concentrate on several things at the same time and do them all well.

De’Aaron’s thought process is provoking.  The fascinating piece will help you understand the rationale of this generation’s use of technology, the first to truly grow up fully integrated into our hyper-technological society.

[Bleacher Report]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

30 Comments for How Playstation Helped De’Aaron Fox’s Basketball Skills

1. t_f_licker
    2:29 pm February 28, 2017 Permalink

That’s great! As soon as the nuclear apocalypse hits, I should be all set! #Fallout4

2. STLouisBBFan
    2:30 pm February 28, 2017 Permalink

I guess “NBA pro mode” necessarily excludes basic shooting . . . just saying.

3. STLouisBBFan
    2:31 pm February 28, 2017 Permalink

and stay off the lawn . . . and can you show me how to get NETFLIX through the Xbox . .

4. Kindergarten Cop
    2:33 pm February 28, 2017 Permalink

lol that’s who we have running this team. I love fox and I’m not in the get off my lawn generation, I’m close to Fox’s age. But 6 hours of video games don’t make you a better player. I bet KAT or AD don’t play 6 hrs of video games. They are working on their bodies.

• GIVEN NOT EARNED
      3:14 pm February 28, 2017 Permalink

I mean he is the fastest player in college basketball… His body seems fine to me.

5. unbridled
    2:47 pm February 28, 2017 Permalink

Does anyone else think that’s fox’s success is in large part due to the freakish talent and speed he was given at birth and the countless hours upon hours he has spent working on his game in a gym??

• catsarerunnin
      6:35 pm February 28, 2017 Permalink

I do. But if he thinks video games helps more power to him.

• Luether
      9:32 pm February 28, 2017 Permalink

Would be a way more effective player if he would spend 3 of those 6 hours shooting a real basketball…

6. chrisg18
    2:48 pm February 28, 2017 Permalink

Yeah this is pretty dumb. As someone who played a sport at a pretty high level growing up and also played lots of hours of the same sport on Nintendo and PlayStation, I attribute 0% of my video game time to my development. 6 hours a day? Yikes. Maybe cut that in half and spend the other half working on his shot. He’d be in contention for the #1 pick if he could shoot the ball – which is a skill that can be developed through repetitive practice.

7. Does it teach how to GUARD the pick & roll? Or to play defense period?

*Nick, you just painted a very large group of people with a broad brush, the same thing you accused them of doing.

Look, I seldom bash individual players here, but I just wanted to point out a couple of flaws that are present (IMO) in this post. I know video games are here to stay, but are you serious that you don’t think 6 hours a day is a bit beyond the pale? Also, don’t forget that they’re not new…there were gaming addicts in the early 80’s…you just had to go to an arcade with a pocket full of quarters for the best games then.

I’m not saying he didn’t learn some things from the game (I remember Reggie Hanson saying King Rex learned a move from Dominique Wilkins watching a Hawks game), but not enough worthy of 6 hours a day.

• Again, I’m not taking a shot at Fox so much as the tenor of this post. I love Fox’s energy, and you usually do a great job Nick, especially with football. Again, I just take issue with the post.

• Nick Roush
      3:02 pm February 28, 2017 Permalink

Did you read the feature? That’s the point of this post, summarizing 2,500 words into 500. You can’t comprehend the nuance if you don’t read the entire feature.

I am not far removed from where this kid is now, and I don’t understand how he and his peers do it. I can’t imagine what it’s like for a 40-year old. If this extended feature enlightened me, it will definitely shock an older generation.

• I admit I didn’t read it. My problem was not as much with the claim about video games. It was with the “Get off my lawn” thing, but it’s all good. Peace.

8. jaws2
    3:00 pm February 28, 2017 Permalink

Six hours a day on a video game? God help the future.

• Nick Roush
      3:05 pm February 28, 2017 Permalink

If you read the entire article, it takes about how he watches a basketball game, Spongebob, plays a video game and listens to music all at the same time.

• unbridled
      3:32 pm February 28, 2017 Permalink

….and that passes for productive now?

• Booby Petrino
      3:33 pm February 28, 2017 Permalink

I don’t think many are interested in reading the article, we read your post so that we don’t have to read the article.

• Booby Petrino
      3:38 pm February 28, 2017 Permalink

I personally don’t want to click on the article and give it hits, bc from your post it sounds absurd. I’ll give ksr hits by commenting bc I love the site, but I’m not buying that playing video games made him a better basketball player. He probably just used that to get permission to play games longer when he lived at home.

• Eazy
      4:32 pm February 28, 2017 Permalink

It’s sad that you all didn’t read the whole article. It goes on to talk about how compassionate Fox is. It tells the story of the kid he befriended in HS from KY who died of CP. That’s what the headline should be.

9. @GoCayts
    3:19 pm February 28, 2017 Permalink

I played a lot of video games in my life, but that is crazy … I guess it’s different now, though, you can play online with friends and talk to them while you play … could really help these guys from getting homesick

I will say, though, one year Madden came out with a really in depth tutorial where you could pick a formation and then a play and Madden would walk you through the purpose of the formation and then the correct progression of the play and I learned a ton. I was never taught anything in middle school or high school in the little bit of football I played, but I always thought if that had been around when I was younger, I would have understood assignments and been way more interested in the sport.

10. mikeintn
    3:41 pm February 28, 2017 Permalink

Sounds like the way to go, I’m thinking all he needs to do is just play it a little longer, and he’s shooting would get better.

11. rosquirto
    4:04 pm February 28, 2017 Permalink

yeah i played the hell out of tom clancy’s splinter cell in college. My spy game is on point!!!

12. henderblue
    4:13 pm February 28, 2017 Permalink

I’m not buying it. Time in the gym and the weight room is what he needs. I played my share of Tiger Woods PlayStation games but it ain’t helped my golf game any.

13. Eazy
    4:35 pm February 28, 2017 Permalink

The headline here should be about Fox being a great kid and befriending his classmate from KY who died at 16. Fox was the first non family member there to visit him. Carol Burnett talks about how wonderful Fox is. Yet, people are complaining about younger kids playing video games and can’t even read a long article.

14. rickwhitetx
    4:39 pm February 28, 2017 Permalink

I’m in the “get off my lawn” generation, but I’m trying to keep an open mind about this. I think 6 hours a day is extremely overdoing it, but maybe they is some textbook value to the game. If a young player studies how to do something via video and then goes out and practices it until he or she has it right then there’s some value there.

15. GIVEN NOT EARNED
    5:40 pm February 28, 2017 Permalink

I think a lot of you are missing the point. Hes not saying playing playstation helped his physical game (making shots, free throws, dribbling). It helped him more mentally, understanding the moving pieces around him, helped him with strategy, and understanding basketball in general better.

16. somerset bill
    6:31 pm February 28, 2017 Permalink

that’s 1600 hours… just since arriving in june. at this point, what can there be left to learn from nba 2k?

if you started playing christmas day, played around the clock, just stopping to sleep 6 hours a day, you would have to keep that up until late march to reach 1600 hours.

17. catsarerunnin
    6:39 pm February 28, 2017 Permalink

Amazes me how so many are getting their shorts in a wad over this. But then again this is KSR.

18. bdmnky81
    7:29 pm February 28, 2017 Permalink

The reason 2k helped his game was the very real in game physics combined with industry leading motion capture animation. 2k has pros come in and captures their signature moves EVERY year. Playing the game and especially practicing the moves in drills exposes Fox to the body movements required to execute said moves. Same as when a coach demonstrates a move in person… this game is actually a better teacher is some respects. Can you imagine cal trying to teach fox the iverson crossovee?!?!