Hot Take Thursday: I like the new basketball uniforms

uniform

Allow me to get something off my chest, if you will.

I like the new cut of the new basketball uniforms. Yes, I am aware that I am alone on an island in this belief, so consider this a cry to anyone out there holding this opinion quietly inside, too.

The new unis have been blasted ad nauseam on the Twitter and other parts of the interwebs, and on our very own radio programming on the morning, pregame and postgame shows. But I’m here to say they’re not all that bad, at least in my unimportant opinion.

Sure, they’re a little snug, maybe a little too tight. But times and styles change and this is the direction Nike is going with its basketball jerseys. There was a time when people hated baggy, then baggy became the norm. Now the style is trending toward schmedium, and Kentucky is ahead of the trend, per usual.

Some of you have probably noticed small and tight is in throughout all fashion. High-water pants with the ankles revealed is considered cool these days. Suits fit like wetsuits. Maybe you noticed the NBA has officially gone to joggers for pregame warmups. Slim is in. That’s just how it is.

And, if I may compliment the physiques of the Kentucky basketball players without losing my man card, the new tanktop design makes them look ripped. You and I could never wear it with our man-boobs and arm jelly hanging out all over the place, but Bam Adebayo wears it well.

So there ya go. I said it. I am one in a million people that actually like the new slim-fit uniforms. They’re trendy and I didn’t hear anybody complaining when the United States won the gold medal in Brazil wearing the same exact same style.

Here’s a little bit about that new slim-fit look, which Nike calls Vapor Basketball Uniforms with AeroSwift technology:

Pioneering Nike Vapor basketball uniforms impose a new order on the court by pairing progressive knit jerseys and shorts featuring Nike AeroSwift technology with innovative base layers to minimize game-time distractions and maximize performance.

The system is anchored by basketball-specific base layer options, including arm sleeves, padded compression gear and knee sleeves, which together wick sweat from the skin, providing a feeling of protection and compression, and keeping the players’ arms and legs warm off-court.

Designed to interact with the base layer but not cling, the lightweight, tailored jersey features stretch knit with engineered mesh as determined by extensive sweat-mapping studies. [Nike]

How can you argue against extensive sweat-mapping studies???

Now, as for the checkerboard down the side, that’s gotta go. Subtle checkerboard I can do; the loud checkerboard down Kentucky’s uniform is too much.

To recap…

Slim-fit AeroSwift technology: YES
Checkerboard: HELL NO

Comment away…

Article written by Drew Franklin

37 Comments for Hot Take Thursday: I like the new basketball uniforms

1. dmill4444
    12:04 pm November 3, 2016 Permalink

Biggest football game in years this weekend and we have Franklin writing about how tight the basketball uniforms are…gotta love it..I’m a basketball season ticket holder and I can’t stomach the thought of basketball this time of year..how anyone could be excited about basketball on November 3rd in the heart of football season is beyond me

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      12:35 pm November 3, 2016 Permalink

People that really like basketball like it. This may come as a surprise…but some people like basketball more than football (GASP)!

• 3Goggles
      12:37 pm November 3, 2016 Permalink

Please…he wrote a football article just over 12 hours ago. The majority of the articles posted on the first page right now on KSR is football related.

• Booby Petrino
      12:44 pm November 3, 2016 Permalink

Two kinds of people I will never understand: (1) Those who drive in the left-hand lane for no apparent reason and refuse to get out of the way, and (2) those who don’t understand that people can discuss more than one sport at a time. Perhaps those of us who can are just more intelligent than those who can only focus on one sport.

• somerset bill
      2:08 pm November 3, 2016 Permalink

my opinion is in line with booby’s (reworded that to get it just right). i can be in perfect agreement with someone and the minute they say “thing A is happening and you’re talking about thing B” they lose me. if that argument held any water, the only people who would take the time to comment on this story would be ones who didn’t have bills to pay or any other single problem in their life greater than the fact that someone wrote a post with an opinion of the cats’ uniforms.

that being said, i would be interested in those november basketball tickets.

• Biglaw Dawgin'
      2:47 pm November 3, 2016 Permalink

On a scale of 1 to 10, my interest in UK basketball is 11. My interest in UK Football is about a 2.5. I think it’s fair to say that many Kentucky fans have around the same level of interest. So yes, I’m fine with talking about our world-class Bball team’s uniforms in the middle of our mediocre football team’s season.

2. Poppschmidty
    12:07 pm November 3, 2016 Permalink

The “K” why give us a good looking “K” on the uni only to have the logo look like a Looney Tune’s marquee?

3. GTx2
    12:18 pm November 3, 2016 Permalink

The checkerboard makes them look like pajamas.

4. symphonist41169
    12:21 pm November 3, 2016 Permalink

Do I like or dislike the uniforms? That question can be answered in one word: Apathy. I don’t know and I don’t care, as long as the team wins. THAT’S the important thing, not the uniforms.

5. TexasCat17
    12:22 pm November 3, 2016 Permalink

I completely agree! Could not have said it better myself.

6. A_Blue_Wildcat
    12:26 pm November 3, 2016 Permalink

Didn’t know Ray Charles wrote for KSR.

7. KatsKlaws
    12:29 pm November 3, 2016 Permalink

If you enjoy seeing every curve of a 18 year old boys body, then yes I would say that you probably love the uniform….personally for me, I don’t like them.

• kvltclassic
      12:38 pm November 3, 2016 Permalink

Gotta look manly brother. Don’t want anyone to think you’re gay.

• Booby Petrino
      12:48 pm November 3, 2016 Permalink

every curve…lol Because these guys are so curvy??

• KatsKlaws
      12:48 pm November 3, 2016 Permalink

Actually I am gay..

• Sentient Third Eye
      12:54 pm November 3, 2016 Permalink

And I run a basketball camp for loggers.

• KatsKlaws
      12:57 pm November 3, 2016 Permalink

A camp for what? That doesn’t even make sense..

• Sentient Third Eye
      1:00 pm November 3, 2016 Permalink

It’s a timeless cultural reference. Don’t worry: one day you will hear a particular song and suddenly burst out laughing because it finally makes sense.

• J-Dub421
      1:03 pm November 3, 2016 Permalink

Monty Python, right?

• kvltclassic
      1:04 pm November 3, 2016 Permalink

I figured you were KatsKlaws because people who get called out on something via the internet typically pull out the “well I’ve got a black friend” card.

• RogerW
      3:22 pm November 3, 2016 Permalink

Pretty sure the “basketball camp for loggers” reference is to a Rat Stevens song

• RogerW
      3:23 pm November 3, 2016 Permalink

Or maybe Ray Stevens, LOL

8. Steve Perry
    12:39 pm November 3, 2016 Permalink

Agree 100%. The cut of the jersey is the new style as well as a little retro. Now the checkerboard is the absolute worst. Just take it off the side and you’ve got the perfect UK uni.

9. AncientOne
    12:40 pm November 3, 2016 Permalink

I’ve been sitting here trying to think of something less important than what the team is wearing. Nope, couldn’t come up with a single thought!

10. MarkTheShark
    12:48 pm November 3, 2016 Permalink

I agree Drew, some people just hate change. This is the direction Nike and other athletic companies are headed and we are lucky to be one of the first to try them out. As for the checkerboard pattern, I think it is a very neat idea and I like it. I know I am alone when I say that, but it’s just my opinion.

• Sentient Third Eye
      12:56 pm November 3, 2016 Permalink

I love the idea, but I’m not totally sold on the execution. I still think the checkerboard is about 20% too large. If they would reduce it to 80%, the suits would feel more balanced.

11. AllBall
    1:23 pm November 3, 2016 Permalink

Fit fine…excessive checkerboard no.

12. jrdh13
    1:32 pm November 3, 2016 Permalink

agree i dont even mind the checkerboard if they slim it up a little. still look pretty sharp..

13. andrew88
    1:41 pm November 3, 2016 Permalink

I guess I can live with the cut but the checkerboard is pretty terrible. Mitch Barnhart came off as rude and desperate in trying to defend it on the radio show.

14. onsides
    1:48 pm November 3, 2016 Permalink

The players don’t like the new uniforms. Please keep their opinions in mind since they actually have to wear them.

15. robraymond
    2:05 pm November 3, 2016 Permalink

Indifferent on the uniforms. Not my favorite, but they don’t bother me. The horrible flat cat logo though -it is so bad. I imagine someone even got paid to produce that. They should have tried polling or focus groups. I mean seriously, who likes that new logo? Such a fail.

16. Biglaw Dawgin'
    2:51 pm November 3, 2016 Permalink

Maybe team USA ordered their uni’s a couple sizes bigger, because they didn’t look tight at all. The only pics I’ve seen of UK’s version look like they should be in the body-paint section of Sports Illustrated.

17. mj7juice
    3:09 pm November 3, 2016 Permalink

I agree. They cut of the jersey is fine, but the obnoxious checkerboard has got to go. Like someone else said, remove the checkerboard and it’s great. But I guess we should be thankful because Mitch Barnhart is working closely with the Secretariat people. I don’t think I’ve ever heard such a ridiculous comment, “working closely with the Secretariat people”. Who the hell cares Mitch, this is basketball not horse racing. Give us a break Mitch, you are an idiot. You made the mistake by signing off on these hideous jerseys and act like a juvenile when asked about it. When Barnhart means “he spoke to the kids”, he means he went to an elementary school and asked three kids about they uniforms. They liked them.

18. Angelo
    5:36 pm November 3, 2016 Permalink

White is not a color. UK used to be blue and yellow. I could go for blue and gold. But I think blue and silver would be best.
    Secretariat’s checkerboard is Ok, maybe smaller. We need a second color!!
    The players don’t like all of the stupid white!!

19. bdwest79
    6:33 pm November 3, 2016 Permalink

Why not have some claw scratches down the side, the checkerboard is dated and reminds me of Tennessee and the 90’s..smh.