HIGHLIGHTS: Dontaie Allen is ready for a MAJOR comeback in Lexington

Kentucky fans have been curious about redshirt freshman Dontaie Allen and his return to the floor following the torn ACL he suffered his senior year of high school that kept him out the entire 2019-20 season.

Now, we finally have our first major update on the local star.

This afternoon, KSR received some exclusive footage of Allen’s private workouts in Northern Kentucky this offseason, where the 6-foot-6 guard out of Falmouth, KY is looking ready to roll for his highly anticipated 2020-21 campaign.

Take a look at the highlights, courtesy of Elevate Athletics and Jordan Griffin of Griffin Elite Sports & Wellness:

Allen is working out twice a week with the Griffin Elite coaching and training staff, along with some hands-on help from Cincinnati associate head coach Larry Davis, as he gears up for his return to action in Lexington.

Out of high school, the in-state standout was listed at No. 68 overall in the final Rivals recruiting rankings following his remarkable 13-game run as a senior at Pendleton County. Prior to suffering a torn ACL in his left knee, Allen dropped 50 or more points in six of his first 12 games as a senior. This comes after the Falmouth native averaged 31.8 points and 11.4 rebounds per game while shooting 59.1 percent from the floor and 39.6 percent from 3-point range as a junior. He finished his high school career with 3,255 career points, good for No. 11 in state history.

Are you excited to see the former Kentucky Mr. Basketball honoree take the floor at Rupp Arena this season?

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

16 Comments for HIGHLIGHTS: Dontaie Allen is ready for a MAJOR comeback in Lexington

1. Wilfred Smith
    3:28 pm May 27, 2020 Permalink

I want to see him be great.

That said – I wish he had dunked on the little kid in this video.

2. Bigblu30
    3:34 pm May 27, 2020 Permalink

Dude is a bucket hope he gets plenty of opportunities next season

3. Wildfelinebeeline
    3:39 pm May 27, 2020 Permalink

I’m not sure the video does him justice! I got a chance to see him play at PC a few times and if he’s 100%, it’s gonna be a great year.

4. UKFanSC
    3:44 pm May 27, 2020 Permalink

Been talking him up myself. The kid is a scoring machine, and it’s not layup points. He’s capable of scoring in a variety of ways. Needs to play the 2 in my opinion. Will need to demonstrate defense to get on the floor.

• JASUN74
      1:38 am May 28, 2020 Permalink

I agree he just can flat out score the basketball. He’s got a ways to go no doubt. His body control is off right now of course as would be expected, but that outside stroke is beautiful and he’ll get his body and his feet back to where they need to be.

I hated soo soo bad when I heard he got hurt, but it may end up a blessing for his career In The long run! What I mean is he’ll have a couple years on some of thes recruits and he’ll also be here a few years. It’s going to help him out tremendously with all of his knowledge of our system and having a more physical body that the younger kids.

He hasn’t played a second yet but I know he’s going to have a special career here and become a fan favorite. I can see very big things for him for sure. After the NBA/Basketball days are over will be his time to shine in Kentucky though. I hope for a Allen Houston type player as a junior or senior (Man that’s some big wishing I know), but whatever he turns out to be, I’ll be 1000% in his corner supporting this young man. Blue and White through and through. Go Cats

5. UKgrad80
    4:16 pm May 27, 2020 Permalink

Ok now I know he can fake out an old bald guy. Been nice to see him juke someone his age and elevate for at least one dunk. Hoping he has a big comeback!

• ClutchCargo
      4:47 pm May 27, 2020 Permalink

You realize he was just going through a drill and the old bald guy is supposed to go for the fake, right?

6. stringmusic78
    6:08 pm May 27, 2020 Permalink

I’m all for the kid but nothing in the highlights suggests a MAJOR comeback. Compare the video to that of Boston and Clarke and I don’t see much PT for Allen considering his position. He could breakthrough if he can hit outside shots consistently.

• JASUN74
      1:55 am May 28, 2020 Permalink

You’re right, at the moment he’s not there. Great thing is he will have all the time he needs to get there. He’s just now really working hard after almost two years of not being able to go hard. It’s going to take him a lot of hard work and sweat but he has some tools that are just very valuable, a Beautiful stroke from 25 feet out. Lol. Man that’s a pretty shot. Form is fantastic and arch and follow through if excellent.

Now he just needs to get in NCAA Blue Blood Basketball Shape! Lol. That’s 6 days a week, 6 hours a day in the gym and going as hard as you ever thought was possible every single day you’re working. The kids got a very high basketball IQ and you can just tell he is snart on the floor. Got to get his feet, his confidence, his coordination, his lungs, his timing and a hundred other things that kids take for granted when they get to play every single day.

Again, he’s got a long way to go, but Cal will put him where he needs to be and the better he gets the harder he’ll be pushed. I do know that the player we saw those last few games before he got hurt had a ton of talent and even more potential, being 6’7 or so and as long as he is he’ll pick his defense up really well as soon as he gets in game shape/form. Sorry for the long post but I really believe this young man will make something big out of his situation and will do some great things. Thanks brother. Go Cats!

7. kyle heavy
    6:58 pm May 27, 2020 Permalink

Honestly looks like he is moving in concrete. Bash me.

• dcforuk
      10:43 pm May 27, 2020 Permalink

Not compared to Kyle W. who gave very valuable ~~7-10 mins/gm in 2012.

• KentuckyBoy
      8:42 am May 28, 2020 Permalink

I love this kids game, and I love the fact that he’s home grown. It looked to me that he grimaced a couple of times when pushing off for his crossover. I hope that he comes back 100%, and not 70-80.

8. Fitz
    7:49 pm May 27, 2020 Permalink

Hey, no matter how he looked…..he’s a CAT!

9. blueNtheFace
    8:08 pm May 27, 2020 Permalink

Come in and knock a few down, possibly get hot a few games. Build yourself into a role…and we roll!! Go Cats!!!!!

10. Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
    10:41 pm May 27, 2020 Permalink

And this is why UCLA got to say “Here’s Johnny”

11. dave1964
    9:27 am May 28, 2020 Permalink

Not sure how much playing time he will get with the talent at his position unless he can play the 2 and really shoot well.