High school coach thinks Nick Richards will have ‘monster’ sophomore season

Nick Richard’s high school coach told the Courier Journal that the sophomore center is still developing his instincts and learning to play without thinking, but believes he will have a monster sophomore season.

“Building that confidence and building those positive instincts is just a process,” Mike Rice said. “He’s going to put weight on, and I think he’s going to have a monster sophomore year.”

You may remember Rice from his time as head coach at Rutgers. He now coaches The Patrick School in New Jersey.

Richards has only been playing basketball since he was 13. At times during his freshman season it showed for the 6-foot-11, 240-pound center. Despite starting, Richards minutes diminished in February and March, and he clocked double-digit minutes just once in UK’s final 10 games.

But we still saw flashes from the Jamaican native. He scored 25 and 15 against Fort Wayne and flirted with a double-double a handful of other times. John Calipari tried to instill confidence in Richards, but he never really seemed to click.

Richards was ranked No. 17 in the class of 2017 and part of that ranking was because of his potential. Let’s hope he reaches that potential in 2018-2019 with a monster season.

Plenty of more great stuff on Richards from the CJ. Read Hale’s story HERE.

[mobile_ad]

Article written by TJ Walker

15 Comments for High school coach thinks Nick Richards will have ‘monster’ sophomore season

1. BlueTXHeart
    3:09 pm July 5, 2018 Permalink

Why is this news? OF COURSE he does – the HS coach is part of his inner circle and PR team! It would be news if his HS coach said he thought he would suck next year.

• Booby Petrino
      3:20 pm July 5, 2018 Permalink

it’s news because there really isn’t much else to talk about right now. would you rather they just post nothing all day, or something you can complain about? lol

• BlueTXHeart
      4:29 pm July 5, 2018 Permalink

BP – don’t get me wrong – like the article & the info on Nick. But the news isn’t that his coach thinks he’ll be great as he headline suggests. Rather, the news is that he has to get stronger, gain weight & get his head straight before he can change his story!

• Ridge Runner
      5:21 pm July 5, 2018 Permalink

BlueTx, I hear ya…

2. Cletis75
    3:10 pm July 5, 2018 Permalink

It’s all about confidence. I remember Jort’s coming out party against Louisville, and how much different he became with that confidence. His play against Sullinger was the only reason we were in position for B Knight to hit the game winner in the tournament that season. I would love to see Nick playing with that type of confidence!

• UKfanforlife
      6:46 pm July 5, 2018 Permalink

Don’t compare this kid to Jorts. Just stop it.

• Cletis75
      9:41 pm July 5, 2018 Permalink

Just talking about their confidence levels. Jorts was so lost when Cal got there. I can’t remember how many times he let passes bounce off his hands out of bounds. He looked so out of place like Nick did this past season. He can still make the same strides Jorts did mentally to get to where he needs to be.

3. Rod Crandler
    3:29 pm July 5, 2018 Permalink

The pace of the game is just something he was not in sync with last year at both ends of the court. Hopefully he improves his instincts and can adjust to the speed at this level.

4. kjd
    3:45 pm July 5, 2018 Permalink

We’ll have this same topic a year from now.

• Ez21
      4:41 pm July 5, 2018 Permalink

Exactly bc he isn’t gonna play over the 3 big dogs inside. He will play a little, but not enough to have a monster season.

5. Alex90
    4:02 pm July 5, 2018 Permalink

He seems pretty skilled and athletoc for a guy his size but he never showed that he can be aggressive on the court.

6. Fitz
    6:45 pm July 5, 2018 Permalink

Prediction = four year player with breakout in Senior year and signing with NBA team

7. UKfanforlife
    6:51 pm July 5, 2018 Permalink

I didn’t understand why Richards started every game, last season. Didn’t make sense to me. That being said, fans piss and moan about one and done players and then they act like a kid that is not a one and done is plain garbage. Sure, Richards can have a break out year. It is up to him. No, I don’t see him relegated to the bench most of the game. He should be stronger, quicker, and more fluid. He is not as uncoordinated as the kid that just left early and didn’t get drafted. Richards is a future pro.

8. michaelb
    7:22 pm July 5, 2018 Permalink

Nick just has a few bad fundamental habits that’s in need of breaking. Doing so would clean his game up tremendously i.e. Rebounding with both hands, developing a nose for the ball, among a few others. It’s just his lack of time from when he started the game. One day it’s just gonna click for him and he’s gonna be a beast. I’ve said this all last season … it’s true just hide & watch

• michaelb
      7:25 pm July 5, 2018 Permalink

I did the very same thing (at the high school level lol). I wasn’t an effective player until my junior year because of the exact same thing . I can identify with it wholeheartedly. Reminds me of myself but nick is way better than me