Herro Highlights: Great Moments From His Time At UK

Tyler Herro is off to the NBA after one fun season at Kentucky. He said so on Tuesday, telling the Big Blue Nation, “My hope was always to remain in the draft and begin my lifelong dream of playing in the NBA, but we wanted to be absolutely certain that taking that next step was in my best interests. After the information my family and I received, I believe that time is now and I’m ready to jump into that next stage of my life with both feet.”

Herro came to Lexington with intentions of shaking the generic “just a white kid who can shoot” label, and leaves as a versatile guard whose improvement on the defensive end is as impressive as anything he did with the ball in his hands. Herro’s time as a Wildcat gave us a breakout performance in Atlantis, 14 points per game during the season, a free throw streak that may never be matched, one of the better nicknames in the program’s history, a game-winner in the Sweet 16 and many, many more unforgettable memories.

Let’s revisit some of the fonder memories on the day we had to say goodbye…

His coming out party in the Bahamas:

When he wore the Rex Chapman jersey at Big Blue Madness:

View this post on Instagram

rookie and the vet

A post shared by Tyler Herro (@nolimitherro) on

When he dropped 24 points at Louisville:

“I just like hitting big shots against people who don’t like us.”

Tyler Herro loves to play the villain. When asked if he’d rather make a big shot at home or on the road, the Kentucky freshman didn’t hesitate.

“On the road for sure,” Herro said. “I just like hitting big shots against people who don’t like us. If they don’t like us, we don’t like them.”

Tyler Herro: “I just like hitting big shots against people who don’t like us”

The first time he called himself a bucket:

His career-high 29 against Arkansas:

The shot against Houston:

It was a pleasure watching the Bucket.

Article written by Drew Franklin

15 Comments for Herro Highlights: Great Moments From His Time At UK

1. Cincy Cayt
    8:17 pm April 16, 2019 Permalink

Thanks for the memories, but it’s time to get paid.

2. VirginiaCat
    8:18 pm April 16, 2019 Permalink

So many highlights to consider when reviewing Tyler’s long, five month career at UK.

• makeitstop
      9:04 pm April 16, 2019 Permalink

U guys make Debbie Downer look like Miss Congeniality. Hell, I thought they would tell him, beef up, come back next year, ur top 6-8, but it looks like Brad Stevens said “I may not take u with my first pick but I’ll take u if ur on the board w one of my 3.” Other option is Pat Riley, who loves Cal’s guys and could sure use him, or Billy Donovan… all picking in his range. Maybe “come out now and grow w us” is more appealing than join a shitty team and languish for years bf u get out, like Boogie and AD and Booker.

• makeitstop
      9:08 pm April 16, 2019 Permalink

Oh – and those are quality organizations and coaches so it isn’t like he’ll suffer from not having as good of a staff around him. I’m just guessing but several mock drafts have him in their range and he seems like he’s a fit w any of them.

• JT919
      9:32 pm April 16, 2019 Permalink

Makeitstop, you’re exactly right. Personally I’d love to see him go to San Antonio, Popovich is a mastermind when it comes to developing players, especially guards in recent years.

3. UKfanforlife
    11:15 pm April 16, 2019 Permalink

Wish Mr. Herro all the best in his NBA career. Of course we, the fan base, would love to see him play another season. From what I saw, he really improved from the start of the season, to the tourney games. That is a testimony to his hard work and to the Kentucky coaching staff.

4. CoachCat
    12:05 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

He’s a great kid. A good shooter. He’s streaky at best. Plays zero defense. Needs about 20lbs of muscle and needs to get quicker when driving. He’s going to make a great NBA player. He just needs another year or two. He will get those in the D league now

• IrishCat
      7:52 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

When the scouts assess CoachCat, basketball IQ isn’t on the list of strengths..

5. Swizzle
    12:18 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

Yeah he was great vs Auburn. See ya. Enjoy the g league.

6. Larkin123
    9:11 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

I cant watch any of these… too upsetting, wasted, one year, no final fours, never see it again, and fans calling next which will put us out one round earlier in tournament..

7. kjd
    10:35 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

Herro is a great free throw shooter. He is a good player.
    Good luck.

8. Pensacola_Cat_Fan
    1:25 pm April 17, 2019 Permalink

I have no problem with him leaving. I wish him all the luck in the world. I would probably do the same thing. I can’t help but thinking though…was Herro one of the most overrated players here ever? I think he COULD have been great but if you just look at his stats, they don’t seem to jive with the attention he got from fans. I dunno but this seems more like a Booker situation in which he really didn’t even touch the surface of what he could do. Perfect stroke but rarely did the ball go in down the stretch.