Hear Jimmy Dykes Sing “Rockin’ Little Heartbeat”

Kentucky’s win over Vanderbilt was interrupted by the dulcet tones of Jimmy Dykes.

While the Cats were completely dismantling the Commodores, ESPN producers found a country music track Dykes cut about a decade ago.  Without much to dissect from the game, they put the former UK assistant coach on the spot in Nashville.

Caught off guard, Dykes wasn’t exactly crisp during his on-air performance.  Luckily, the internet has found an old version of Dykes’ rendition of “Rockin’ Little Heartbeat” with Arkansas musician Donovan Tucker.  If you liked Jimmy’s Jet, you’ll love Jimmy’s country music jam.

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

25 Comments for Hear Jimmy Dykes Sing “Rockin’ Little Heartbeat”

1. CoachCat
    12:13 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

I can’t ever unhear that. So thanks

• 4everUKblue
      8:44 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

Now you know how we feel when you’re criticizing our coaches and team.

• CoachCat
      9:36 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

4ever, you grew up in a world of participation trophies. If you knew half of what you think you do you’d be smart.

• bigbluebanana
      10:33 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

You don’t even know 4ever or his/her story, so shut up. The last refuge of a person with no argument is to attack a stranger’s character. You apparently grew up in the generation of “give me it, it’s mine. Forget about the future people, I want it now”. You’re on a U.K. fan site and you’ve notoriously bashed our coach and teams, excuse us if your words hold no weight with us.

• CoachCat
      10:50 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

Ohhhhhh. Hit a nerve did I. You’re the worst type of fan banana. One who doesn’t use facts to back up a argument. Never once have I criticized a coach, not once. Not even Gran. The only criticism I’ve ever spelled out on this site is about Wilson. And it’s UK, not U.K. As far as your it’s mine comment you’re right. If I want something I go get it, through hard work. You should try it sometime instead of acting all big and bad on a website. Lastly, you couldn’t shut me up if you tried little guy, so calm down snowflake

2. shellgeo
    4:41 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

Better than I thought it was going to be.

3. Rise
    6:12 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

Actually not that bad.

• Ridge Runner
      9:15 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

Yup.. to be honest.

• krautdog
      10:21 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

Yup – I’ve heard a lot worse!?

4. catsarerunnin
    7:27 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

It should have included the lyrics “Goin to take me a rim run before I get on the plane”…

5. eastofmidnight
    7:50 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

I realize that announcers get bored and are just trying to stir up interest in a game when one team is up by 30. But talking about Dykes’ country music career for a good portion of the second half was more than I could take. How about sone occasional play by play? I finally just hit the mute button.

• 4everUKblue
      8:44 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

Whine much?

• Papaw
      8:53 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

In a total blowout game you still need someone to tell you what just happened in the game? Want some cheese with that whine? Back to the subject matter, Old Jimmy is a pretty good singer

• eastofmidnight
      10:15 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

Actually, it does help to know who just committed a foul.

• bigbluebanana
      10:37 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

It was an accidental discovery by Ravich. If I’m at work and one of my co-workers casually mention they once had a recording career, that becomes the focus for everyone, especially if there’s no work to do and we just need to kill time until quitting time. That’s what happened last night. I bet you complain about Bilas and Vitale because they do t know the rectal temperatures of all our players at any given time. B-ball games are entertainment, these people are there to further that entertainment. I like Dykes and I like Ravich, and enjoyed this aside. It was neat.

6. EdC
    8:15 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

I think Jimmy Dykes has overtaken DICK as my least favorite announcer. I didn’t hear him sing because I mute as soon as I see he is calling the game. He distracts from the game and I thought announcers were supposed to enhance the game for you.

As eastofmidnight stated how about some occasional play by play?

Dykes starts yapping from second 1 and just doesn’t stop. Add to that most of it has nothing to do with the game. He is just some reincarnated gossipy old lady who just is not capable of shutting up. I’m guessing that’s why he sucked as a coach and couldn’t keep a job. He just talked so much that every player had to tune him out for their on sanity’s sake.

Imagine if you were at a game watching and he was there as a spectator right behind you, yapping all that nonsense non-stop. I think I would have to put headphones on or something.

• bigbluebanana
      10:38 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

Stupid commentators and their comments. Can’t believe some idiots actually try and do the job they’re paid to do. Smh

7. Melvit
    8:26 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

I hope there are more games with him talking about this music. That means we are blowing the other team out and that’s my favorite type of game.

• 4everUKblue
      8:48 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

Exactly, Melvit! What was there to talk about, it was never a game.

8. 4everUKblue
    8:46 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

Ravich needs to talk to Bill Self about where to buy a fine hairpiece.

• Ridge Runner
      9:17 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

Then Jimmy goes into… Rockin’ lil hairpiece… ummummm.
      Second thought, no.

• Cat68
      9:37 am January 30, 2019 Permalink

Well played Runner…caught me off guard!

9. catdaddyd
    3:40 pm January 30, 2019 Permalink

Thanks for putting the whole song on, I like it. Sounds a little like Ricky Van Shelton.

10. catfanmike
    8:35 pm January 30, 2019 Permalink

I thought it sounded good…Nice Jimmy…some of you are ridiculous with your criticism, and it was only a few minutes. At least we didn’t have to look at Charles Barkley reactions and and the Vitale/Barkley lovefest for an entire game.

11. sas11091964
    11:49 pm January 30, 2019 Permalink

Just showed some love and downloaded his song. It’s actually pretty good. 🙂
    Great job Jimmy! ##NoTrollZone #BBN