Head coach Kenny Payne says he liked how the team rallied to beat “grown men”

payne

During his postgame press conference, seen above in someone’s living room, one-day UK head coach Kenny Payne said Chalons-Reims came out and hit his team in the mouth today. “Those are grown men, grown men who play this game for money,” he said of the Cats’ Monday opponent. But, as you saw, the young Kentucky team took it in stride and dominated the rest of the game. Payne said he loved the way the guys responded and controlled the game after falling behind early.

When asked how the staff plans to manage the loaded roster, Payne told us, “That’s why you pay John Calipari a lot of money. He’ll figure it out.”

Article written by Drew Franklin

8 Comments for Head coach Kenny Payne says he liked how the team rallied to beat “grown men”

1. somerset bill
    3:50 pm August 11, 2014 Permalink

kenny likes his team.

2. Alamo_CatFan
    3:51 pm August 11, 2014 Permalink

Don’t the Washington Generals play this game for money? I thought they looked great, passing, lobs, communication. I feel sorry for the hurt that is about to be placed on college basketball this year by our cats.

• tltaworl
      4:18 pm August 11, 2014 Permalink

I am okay with it

3. memphis
    3:57 pm August 11, 2014 Permalink

The line for Big Blue Madness tickets is going to be insane.

4. Joe B at Bianckes
    3:58 pm August 11, 2014 Permalink

Fun tourney fact…
    The three officials in the games, Bart Lenox, John Hampton, and Brett Hampton, are all three Cynthiana Harrison County Ky natives, in addition to being SEC officials. We are everywhere!

5. Jrod
    3:59 pm August 11, 2014 Permalink

Soo many good players I believe subbing a lot and keeping pressure on teams will win us games late in the second half. You saw both of these teams get wore down by the waves of athletes we sent at them…add Willie and Trey. .wow. Sorry but I feel that Dakari’s minutes will be the one effected in the new “10” leaving out Willis and prolly Hawkins. DO has lost weight and etc but he is still too slow to run with what could be the longest and most athletic college basketball team I’ve ever seen….

6. BGCat
    4:00 pm August 11, 2014 Permalink

Post game?

7. J-Dub421
    4:06 pm August 11, 2014 Permalink

I am trying very hard to reign in my excitement and enthusiasm for this team, but it keeps getting harder and harder to do so. If the team looks this good now, just imagine what they’ll look like in a few months! And, all this without Willie and Trey Lyles! During these first two exhibition games I keep thinking, “Wow, so-and-so looks really good this year!”, about every player. They all look great. There have been some silly mistakes, but those will likely go away over the course of the season. If I were the coach of any team on our schedule, I’d be very concerned right now.