Happy Anniversary to Tayshaun Prince and his five three-pointers against UNC

On this day, fourteen years ago, Tayshaun Prince exploded for 31 points in Kentucky’s 20-point win over North Carolina in Rupp Arena.

Fifteen of those points came during one of the greatest individual performances in UK basketball history, when Prince sank five consecutive three-pointers in two minutes. The fifth shot is still amazing to this day.

“He’s got the puppies set off the bus!”

“Tayshaun’s not a prince, he’s a king.”

Article written by Drew Franklin

15 Comments for Happy Anniversary to Tayshaun Prince and his five three-pointers against UNC

1. Catsby80
    12:04 pm December 8, 2015 Permalink

that clip still gives me chills and i bet i’ve seen it 100 times.

2. nybrasky
    12:12 pm December 8, 2015 Permalink

14 years?!?! Looks like I’m gonna have to start drinking at lunch today.

3. C_Cov
    12:15 pm December 8, 2015 Permalink

I can see Jamal Murray doing something like this.

4. Rajonrondo9
    12:23 pm December 8, 2015 Permalink

I hope Murray does this against Louisville.

5. Biglaw Dawgin'
    12:39 pm December 8, 2015 Permalink

Ridiculous. I’ve still never seen anything like that. If they didn’t take a timeout there, he might’ve pulled the next one from the K.

6. Blue Ale8
    12:42 pm December 8, 2015 Permalink

I can still remember where I was at when I was watching this game. One of my favorite players of all time!

7. deltasig41
    12:48 pm December 8, 2015 Permalink

Never forget that…I was in the building with my uncle, and I will remember the look on his face when Tayshaun hit the 5th one for as long as I live. I’ve been to Rupp a hundred times since then, and I’ve maybe heard it as loud as it was that day one other time. Such a great memory.

8. Chrismc
    1:12 pm December 8, 2015 Permalink

Goose bumps and a big smile. So glad my father raised me to be a Cat fan in Louisville. Now living in MD. Go Big Blue!!!!

9. jonthes
    1:21 pm December 8, 2015 Permalink

From that horrible Tubby era. Such a pity that Team Turmoil wrecked what could have been a title.

10. Ky_Tom
    2:19 pm December 8, 2015 Permalink

Great day for the Cats, and Prince, what can be said about His day that hasn’t already been said.. Can You give thought to just how well Price could been in a Coach Cal system. With the dribble drive, or the pick and roll Cal teaches. Tay had a great game , He carried the Cats in most games while He played here.. Under Tubby Smith, UK was lucky to get a player like Prince, but in that system, it was one, maybe two at best top 20 recruits a year.. Cat fans had to wait for a team to be built over a few years, with year ending and seniors graduating and taking the team back in rebuild mold. Thy may happen or not,,,, This is why I like Coach Cal and His recruiting system…He recruits kids looking to be NBA players, and not so much a college grad or a student looking for a degree…Therefore, the One and Done era, began…and continues to work and grow under Cal’s system. .It’s brought 1 National Championship already, and nearly another 2 just in 6 years…I say by Cal’s 10th year here. .IF He stays. .I think UK will win its 9th and maybe even its 10th National Championship before Coach is done…That’s 2 in the next 4 years…I hope…

11. Bluecreeker
    2:19 pm December 8, 2015 Permalink

All the while Tubby was screaming, trying in vain to get a TO in order to yank Prince……he could be heard on the sidelines shouting:

“This is Kentucky, we don’t do that high school crap here!”

Ah…the days.

12. bigglesworth
    3:13 pm December 8, 2015 Permalink

It’s sad that Rupp Arena doesn’t get that loud and into the game anymore. Thanks to the ridiculous ticket prices it seems Rupp has filled with rich, uptight, quiet fans who hardly clap anymore. Even the student section isn’t as rowdy as they used to be.

13. 2thepoint
    6:23 pm December 8, 2015 Permalink

Under cal we have seen so many super highlight plays over and over we expect them every play. When we don’t get them we sit and wait not realizing what we consider normal now used to be out of the ordinary to some extent. Price was such a super guy and never showed much emotion, but he did that day. Sure glad we were reminded of the game.

When it comes to ticket prices being the culprit for fans not cheering loudly I am not sure I buy that, because people have been complaining about fans sitting on their hands every since Rupp opened.

14. dageneral
    9:47 pm December 8, 2015 Permalink

I will never forget being there in the old student section that was up in the rafters. The crazy part was that the section we were in was only half full so people were running around all over the place up there. It’s hard to believe that was 14 years ago.