diallo

With all due respect to the good people at Bleacher Report, I find their new NBA mock draft to be ridiculous. Maybe I’m wrong and I usually am, but I think projecting Hamidou Diallo at No. 10 overall is way too high.

Here’s Bleacher Report’s explanation for the surprise pick:

10. Sacramento Kings – Hamidou Diallo, SG, Kentucky
And here’s our big surprise of this mock. DraftExpress currently has Diallo at No. 36. We put him at No. 20 last week. At this point, he might be more likely to pull his name out of the draft and return to Kentucky next year. But if stays in, Diallo does have the physical tools, and NBA drafts typically have one real shocker – think the Bucks taking Thon Maker at No. 10 last year. [Bleacher Report]

On second thought, seeing it’s the Sacramento Kings makes sense. That organization might be crazy enough to waste a lottery pick on an unproven player with insane measurements. But I still can’t imagine Diallo will go that high and no one else out there has him in the first round.

Is this really a possibility?

Article written by Drew Franklin

67 Comments for Hamidou Diallo projected as lottery pick in new mock draft and I think that is ridiculous

1. Ukgrad2006
    11:37 am May 8, 2017 Permalink

he gone

• Ben27
      12:47 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

Would you rather have Cam Johnson for two years, or Hamidou Diallo for one year? I’ll Take Cam because of his experience. We win either way.

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      1:22 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

Good point, we do win either way.

• pancakesfordinner
      1:56 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

How do you know Cam doesn’t breakout and leave? Kris Dunn was a senior and went too 10 out of providence. Evan Turner went #2 after his junior year. Cam might not be the best leader (I haven’t watched him play, but based on Pitt’s record and the fact that I never heard of him until Cal recruited), but he could be a solid role player in the NBA.

Personally I’d rather have him that diallo at this point, but he’s not guaranteed to stay 2 years.

2. Han
    11:38 am May 8, 2017 Permalink

It was always possible he was gonna go straight into the draft before he decided to come to UK, let’s not forget. Lotto pick is very unlikely, especially if he doesn’t play 5-on-5 and dazzle, but stranger things have happened.

I’m still hoping he comes back (or failing that, we get Johnson) to pair with Green in the back court to give us a tiny bit of experience in Cal’s system. (Please, basketball gods, give us Bamba and either Diallo or Johnson!)

3. WatchutalkinboutWillis
    11:40 am May 8, 2017 Permalink

I would definitely want the Spurs to draft him at the end of the first round…but a lottery pick? In a guard heavy draft?? I doubt it.

4. Ukgrad2006
    11:41 am May 8, 2017 Permalink

I hear from a very reliable source that Hami is not even considering a return. He’s a great friend of mine. He gone. you heard it here first.

• TBW3011
      11:50 am May 8, 2017 Permalink

First? Lol. Many have thought this for months. Nice scoop though.

• Booby Petrino
      11:52 am May 8, 2017 Permalink

More like “you heard it here a thousand times already”

• Ukgrad2006
      11:56 am May 8, 2017 Permalink

Look here Bobby. I’ve got more connects than Stephen A Smith and here is your First Take. He Gone

• Booby Petrino
      12:07 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

It’s Booby, not Bobby. And I already heard that news, and it came straight from his third cousin’s neighbor. So it’s not my First Take, Stephen Jr.

• turdyshmurda
      12:29 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

Yea I heard this a long time ago as well from a closer source than yours. You’re more like 15th take.

• AllBlueAllDay
      12:30 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

If he’s not even considering a return, then why hasn’t he hired an agent?

• Ukgrad2006
      12:59 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

NEVA LOST

• AllBlueAllDay
      1:40 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

Yeah just like Ricky P NEVA knew strippers were in the dorm either.

• pancakesfordinner
      1:57 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

I gave him a handy at the combine last night… he came!

• Ukgrad2006
      3:06 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

whoah bro. you just took that to a whole new level.

• catsarerunnin
      3:42 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

I’m so impressed with your name dropping,Grad. Please,please tell us more…

5. Drew, double check the site. Maybe it’s actually The Onion.

6. WatchutalkinboutWillis
    11:52 am May 8, 2017 Permalink

Listen, sometimes we have to give up something now to get a big return later. Can you imagine if Diallo goes pro because Cal pushed him to try? What other college coach can have that big of evidence that they truly have the players’ best interest at heart? This will equate to huge recruiting wins in the future. I want to see Diallo come and play for us…but if he doesn’t it will be much more good than bad.

7. wkstep2
    11:52 am May 8, 2017 Permalink

I have been a NBA Draft obsessive for a long time

This draft class is loaded. The middle/end of the first round has been loaded with internationals the past few years as teams look to guarantee they will be in the NBA as opposed to 2nd rounders who then sign restrictive contracts overseas and may never make their way to the US.

Diallo, freakishly athletic or not, has no experience or track record and a suspect jumper in an insanely guard heavy draft. Would I be surprised if he stays? No. I could point out a ton of horrible decisions by kids to put their name in the draft.

Should he stay in the draft? Absolutely not.

• tbbucs86
      12:01 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

So you know everything about the draft? So if a team promises him lottery he should not stay in the draft?

• nlh88
      12:41 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

Yeah, because NBA teams never break promises.

I think Hami is talented, but in my opinion, he’s an Archie Goodwin like player. He has some real weaknesses in his game currently that may or may not work themselves out. Why use a #10 pick on what may very well be an Archie caliber player?

8. Lip Man 1
    12:00 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

Anything is possible given the NBA has turned into “projected” talent in the draft instead of talent in the here and now.

9. tubby b smith
    12:03 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

Cal push him to do this because its a win/win for Cal…if he is not good he will come back and if he is gone Cal can tell recruits look he didn’t even play at uk and still got drafted while others struggle at other schools..chess not checkers

10. kbo24
    12:05 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

I’ll play conspiracy theorist – the media is bolstering Diallo’s stock and creating a wave of hype because they already have articles written about how UK is bad for college bball, we push kids who aren’t ready out the door, and we make a mockery of the term ‘student athlete’. Blah, blah, blah.

That being said, I’ve stated since the beginning that I didn’t think he’d play a minute in a UK uniform. I’d rather be pleasantly surprised than shocked with disappointment.

• 4everblue
      1:07 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

Totally believable, Cal has not been treated equal his entire career.

• NcCatFan75
      2:01 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

Not necessarily a crazy theory, BUT… Let’s play this out… If Diallo gets drafted first round and bombs… OR if he doesn’t get drafted at all, he would still be in rare air for a Cal guy at U.K. How many kids has Cal groomed that have not made it big time, compared with those that have? How many of his players have not only been great players, but model citizens in the NBA? When was the last time ANY of HIS guys have had off court issues after college? Terrance Jones? And that was MINOR… No DUI or drug infractions…DMC? Some chemistry issues but his talent has overwhelmed that for the most part and even what it WAS can mostly be attributed to a flailing organization. Name me another coach or program can tout that with the volume of players that have come out under his reign. Bad for college basketball? Maybe, but that’s more of the league’s fault with their rules than Cal’s. He’s done right by these kids on every turn. The 30/30 was proof of that with these young men’s dedication to our coach. In the end, the worst you can say is he protected Diallo by not putting him in a position to ruin his draft stock by putting him in when he was not ready? Wonder why he GOT Knox when everyone thought he’d go elsewhere? Players first is why we have the #1 class 7 of 8 of his years here. Diallo is no exception… if the media is the emperor, than it has no clothes

• kbo24
      3:14 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

I agree with everything you said. But…none of it will keep members of the media from writing to the contrary.

• runningunnin.454
      6:04 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

I was hesitant to bring this media conspiracy thing up; but, for several days, I have wondered about the same thing. It would seem the anti-cal, anti-UK media is pushing Diallo at the NBA execs. From #20 to #10 would seem to point in that direction. But, I would say to Hami…if you can get lottery money; go for it.
      Is all this a stretch…maybe; but, it’s not paranoia if they really are out to get you. Look at Pat Forde’s tweet about Leon Smith; does it include a picture of Smith? No, it has the UK logo.
      Where is Oliver Stone when you need him?

11. Mathlete
    12:06 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

Conspiracy theory – the Kings keep drafting guys that are raw, but consistently take guys from Kentucky… they want to move from Sacramento to Louisville and have an installed fan base in the process. They’re already the purple team the guys were talking about before where you can’t be red or blue in this state without alienating some part of the people.

• BNClay
      1:08 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

That not crazy. The name doesn’t even sound bad. Kentucky Kings with Skal, Willlie, Diallo, maybe pick up Brandon Knight, I think he is a free agent this year. They could move some merch.

• Mathlete
      1:17 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

I wouldn’t cry if it happened, personally. Imagine having a team of ex-Wildcat pros playing in our archrival’s home arena… with a Louisville guy keeping the bench warm for them of course

• RealCatsFan
      1:43 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

I have been saying for ages that this would be awesome! And it would take some of the sting off of seeing these guys leaving for the NBA.

Hey, I have an idea. Can we just take the Wildcats’ basketball team out of the NCAA and move the whole team directly to the NBA with Cal coaching them? Screw all the haters and the NCAA gestapo! 🙂

12. zingo01
    12:08 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

I won’t be mad if he goes to the NBA, dude has a right to do whatever he wants, but I’m still mad Cal wouldn’t play him and we could’ve used him. I don’t find it hard to believe that a team would draft him in the lottery with his measurables, but he may become a cautionary for NBA teams in these situations. Alex Poythress had pretty good measurables out of high school, and while I like him, we learned real quick he wasn’t a lottery level pick.

• Booby Petrino
      12:25 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

the kid didn’t want to play. Cal said many times that they agreed he could come this year and not play. Cal said he made that promise to Hami and wasn’t going to break it. So basically Cal let him have a scholarship for one semester to come here and get himself NBA ready. If he comes back, bonus for Cal. If he doesn’t, no loss really for UK except that scholarship for one semester.

• KatsKlaws
      12:51 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

I agree with Booby. The guy didn’t want to play and that prompts me to wonder why not? Personally, if I thought I were good enough for someone to pay me millions of dollars to play a game I had most of my life, then I would be chomping at the bit to show what I could do….when was the last time anyone has even seen this guy play organized basketball? Now he isn’t even playing 5 on 5 at the job interview in which would allow him to showcase his skills for his dream job….I’m no expert but it all just doesn’t make sense to me…

• chrisg18
      12:53 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

This is just not true. You don’t think Cal’s recruiting changed when he got Diallo? If Diallo leaves, then UK will be lacking a high level shooting guard for next year. Knox committing will soften that blow, but obviously that was a total surprise to the staff. Without Diallo I bet you they go after and get another elite recruit at that position. So there actually is a big loss for UK in this situation.

• 4everblue
      1:09 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

I agree with Booby also. Cal knows what he’s doing. He’s a few steps ahead of everybody…

• Booby Petrino
      1:28 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

No Chris, I do not think Cal’s recruiting changed once Hami committed. Because Cal knew all along he was going to test the waters and go if they felt the time is right and he said so. Actually, it fits his recruiting plan…he shows the kids that his first priority is them and we get more recruits in the future because Cal is a players-first guy.

• chrisg18
      2:24 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

That is nonsense. Why then did he not bring in another high level shooting guard? Cal is too good of a recruiter to leave a big hole in the class when we needed to fill EVERY position.

• Booby Petrino
      3:35 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

Lol it’s funny that you think Hami pulled one over on Cal. Cal knew exactly what the situation was and has said so.

• chrisg18
      9:04 am May 9, 2017 Permalink

I’m not blaming Diallo for anything. I think he is being smart and I don’t think he pulled anything over on Cal. But if he does leave (and especially if we don’t get Johnson) Cal deserves some criticism for leaving us very thin at shooting guard when he knew this was a possibility. I’d have no problem with this situation if Cal would have recruited this way, or if Cal would have played Diallo last season. But as it stands right now Diallo leaving would create a big hole in the roster for next season, and is a big loss for UK.

13. UK Fan In Nashville
    12:49 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

I actually think Diallo is underrated, and if he stays at UK he will prove he is a top five prospect and make bank.

14. Shagaris Sock Puppet
    12:59 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

If you dont think for one minute that Bleacher Report isnt click baiting us, then we are delusional. They know as everyone else knows, how closely all UK fans are watching the news for him. They get no draw back for doing this and making a statement, but they do get a ton of feedback which helps their clicks. No way he goes this high in the draft. Doesnt mean he doesnt go, but to rank him 20 one week and change him to a top 10 pick the next, thats a little odd.

• 4everblue
      1:11 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

More than a little odd. Like someone above said, the draft is loaded top to bottom with players with a track record.

• Mathlete
      1:19 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

SSP nailed it. Even if he does stay in the draft there’s no way he goes that high in this guard-heavy, loaded draft. Even the Sixers aren’t crazy enough to burn a lottery pick on a guy they’ve never seen play since high school regardless of his physical measurements

• Shagaris Sock Puppet
      1:22 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

Sooooo loaded! Especially with proven guards like Fox, Monk, Ball, Fultz, Dennis Smith, Josh Hart… These guys have played on big stages and performed and learned from mistakes. He is a great project though for a team to build on for the next few years. The kings just got Buddy Hield too, why waste a draft spot in the top 10 on an unproven shooter?

• Eli
      2:07 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

It’s not as “loaded” on guards as people think. Very top heavy at PG. After Fox, Ball, Fultz, Smith, and Ntilikina there’s a HUGE drop-off and other than Monk, there aren’t any lottery picks at SG so I wouldn’t be so surprised if Diallo went in the top 20.

• Shagaris Sock Puppet
      2:31 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

But there are a ton of bigs and forwards taking up space in the top 20! Sprinkle in those guards ahead of him and add in people like Josh Jackson, Jason Tatum, Harry Giles, Bam, TJ Leaf, Arizonas 7 footer, Collins guy from the Zags, Jarrett Allen from Texas, even Luke Kennard a shooter who has proven his talent… There are a ton of talent in this class is all im saying, and its talent that has a track record against quality opponents. Its not like Diallo is Kobe coming out of high school.

• Eli
      2:36 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

Wow I just got accused of comparing Diallo to Kobe for saying he could be picked in the top 20 😂

• Shagaris Sock Puppet
      2:49 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

Yea I called the police and everything on you lol dont take it to heart man, were all BBN together! This is just a message board… I think the sites slogan for fans on here should be, “leave your egos at the door”. I never said you compared him to Kobe, all im saying is it isnt like hes Kobe coming out of highschool and everybodys hoping they get him in picks 1-3. To make the point that this sites trolling us putting him in the top 10 acting like hes Kobe coming out. How many years of these projections will we eat up? Every year this happens and then the draft comes and a million unrecognized foreign players are taken in the lottery. It will happen again this year and all the projections go out the window, making this article irrelevant after Diallo isnt taken that high

• Eli
      2:56 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

Just like Thon Maker last year, teams are going to have to consider taking Diallo who is an insane athlete with major upside who’s shot has reportedly improved considerably and would be ranked much higher in next year’s draft. If you only draft based on proven talent, you miss out on guys like DeMar DeRozan (please don’t accuse me of comparing him to Diallo, I’m just using an example). If you’re taking best player available with every pick, Diallo shouldn’t be ranked that high but a lot of it is based on need and if I’m looking for a SG and I can afford the risk, I’m taking Diallo before Kennard. Kennard may be more of a sure thing but that sure thing is nowhere near the ceiling of Diallo especially if his shot has improved as much as we’ve heard.

• Eli
      3:29 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

For the record, I wasn’t taking anything to heart and am not siding with bleacher. I respectfully disagreed with you and then laughed off you saying it’s not like he’s Kobe when I said he could go in the top 20. Diallo is getting more hype than Maker was at this time, and he ended up going top 10 so I don’t think top 20 is a stretch even in a stronger draft. Sorry if I hurt your feelings or came off the wrong way but just because someone doesn’t think you’re right doesn’t mean they hate you

15. Bluebloodtoo
    1:05 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

Hami was considering going pro before he even committed to a college. What if Cal said: “Just come to UK and get some practice time in with our team for a few months and then put your name in the draft to see what you get. This will benefit both of us because you’ll get practice time and some time to adjust to not being with mom and dad all the time, and then if you don’t get good feedback you get to play at UK for a year. It benefits UK because we can claim you as a pro and we’ll get good competitive practices while you are here.”

Seems to me like they had this plan the whole time. It makes way more sense than anything else I can think of…

• Catlogic15
      1:22 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

Agree. I’m sure it happened exactly that way.

• Shagaris Sock Puppet
      1:27 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

That does make sense, what does not however is this, going from a 20-30th pick to a top 10 pick after no 5on5 drills and only a week has gone by since…. Bleacher is trolling us with a top 10 guess, from a site that does not have any inside sources probably from the people in the know from the NBA. Just like Know to Duke was all but done, same stuff here.

• Booby Petrino
      1:31 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

that’s pretty much what Cal said when Hami committed here. I don’t have the desire to search the internet for the articles, but I remember reading that plan. I mean not verbatim to Blue’s quotes but close enough.

16. Eli
    1:41 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

I’m saying this off the top of my head so forgive me if I’m wrong but isn’t Diallo likely to end up being the second SG off the board behind Monk? In that case, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him taken ahead of his projection. Either way, it looks like he’s gone 🙁

17. david8577
    1:52 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

He’s probably gone. All this sounds fine to me except, if you get a basketball scholarship you should be willing to, you know, play basketball.

18. damage_control
    2:30 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

The only thing semi-legit about this complete guess is that if a team did select Diallo at #10, you know it would be the Kings.

19. Capurnicus
    2:42 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

Crazy to think about, but if Diallo leaves I wonder if Knox plays shooting guard?

Our lineup could be

1 – Green
    2 – Knox
    3 – Vanderbilt
    4 – Washington
    5 – Richards (or possibly Bamba)

That’s an insanely tall starting lineup!

• bhb71
      6:16 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

I don’t think it’s crazy at all. He’s known to be great of the perimeter, I absolutely think that it’s a possibility.

20. TonyMontana
    2:54 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

********** I’m not sure if yall read the article over at Bleacher Report. They talk about what Hami has to work on and even say “Put him in the D-League for a year or two and the Kings could have a player.” WHAT?! Is that what you expect from a player you’re getting in the lottery? Put him in the D-League for a year or two! I still say he’s returning, but all of this crazy hype surrounding him is gonna keep on inching his name up on those mock drafts…. so thats worrying me. Man! I just wanted to see him play at UK!

21. TheMaxCat
    3:31 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

The risk/reward wasn’t worth him playing this past season(from his standpoint). He wasn’t going to get a lot of playing time, and if he didn’t play real well in limited minutes his stock would have taken a dip. Not to mention the chance of pissing off/running off any of the returnees. If he goes fairly high then the draft night talking heads will say how much his jump shot has improved and how practicing at UK really helped his development over the past few months. If he returns, then that’s good too. Win/Win for Cal and UK. But we would want Johnson a little more if Ham does go.. As far a LaVille getting the King franchise it would be ironic considering they started in Cincinnati t return to the part of the country. Plus the pro franchise would have a great impact on HS ballerz in the state. KY-Ind. was a great series until the ABA folded and Ind. had a pro influence and Kentucky didn’t….since then its been all Indiana boys.

22. a21CATSfan
    5:30 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

This is just Bleacher Report continuing to be the worst sports outlet in the country. No worries, move on, don’t take the click bait.