Hamidou Diallio’s message to fans is a nice dose of perspective

Chet White | UK Athletics

Photo by Chet White | UK Athletics

Photo by Chet White | UK Athletics

Yesterday was the first time we’ve heard from Hamidou Diallo since his decision to declare for the draft a few weeks ago. Diallo’s 44.5″ vertical jump and 6’11.25″ wingspan have people buzzing this morning, further proof that the 6’4″ guard is an athletic freak. While the thought of Diallo, a player who didn’t play a single minute for Kentucky, going pro already is a hard pill to swallow for many fans, he insists he hasn’t made his decision yet. Should Diallo decide to stay in the draft, what’s his message to Kentucky fans?

“It’s just a situation that occurred, a situation I might have to take advantage of,” Diallo said, via Jerry Tipton. “As a kid, it’s something I always dreamed about. If the door’s open, I feel like it’s the right thing to do for me, and the right thing for my family.”

“Anybody who really has anything negative to say, I feel like at the end of the day, I’m the one playing and the one trying to provide for my family.”

Diallo must make his decision by May 24, so 12 days from now. There will be a lot of speculation between now and then, but as we wait, that’s some nice perspective to keep in mind.

[Herald-Leader]

53 Comments for Hamidou Diallio’s message to fans is a nice dose of perspective

1. Rod Crandler
    10:27 am May 12, 2017 Permalink

I don’t have an issue with him staying in if he feels it’s best. The thing that eats at me a bit is that if he is such a great player with so much ability, I question why Cal could not find a way to work him into the rotation and help us in March when we sure could have used him. Yeah, starting it in March would not have worked but maybe starting it in December when he arrived might have. I’m not buying all that chemistry BS either. He played with them everyday in practice. Oh well, I’m sure Cal had his reasons and that’s why he makes the big bucks.

• TAXman
      10:33 am May 12, 2017 Permalink

Hasn’t it already been made public knowledge that it was Diallo’s decision to not play this year?

• Tony the Liger
      10:45 am May 12, 2017 Permalink

It was Diallo’s (or Diallo’s family’s) decision to not play. Had he played, he risked exposing any flaws in his game, which could very easily have eliminated the opportunity he’s presently enjoying.

• 3Goggles
      10:45 am May 12, 2017 Permalink

Yes taxman it was. Cal said it once a week since he arrived on campus. But even if it wasn’t Diallos choice, does it matter? Would he have played over Monk? Fox? Briscoe? Hawkins? If he wouldve played they wouldve complained that he was taking minutes from Hawkins or Monk. Some people are going to have something to complain about no matter what.

• Tony the Liger
      10:48 am May 12, 2017 Permalink

I’d be willing to bet that there was more than one situation in which Diallo would’ve played over Briscoe.

• Rod Crandler
      11:12 am May 12, 2017 Permalink

If it was really his decision not to play so as to not expose any weakness in his game the he was heading to the draft all along. I just have a hard time believing that if Cal would have went to him and said “We need you on this team” that he would have said no. Guess I’m wrong.

• meeksfor3
      12:17 pm May 12, 2017 Permalink

He gone

• 3Goggles
      12:40 pm May 12, 2017 Permalink

I disagree on your Briscoe assessment. Its not very easy to just walk in and play college basketball without the benefit of an offseason like monk, fox, bam etc.

2. BigBlue4EverUK
    10:28 am May 12, 2017 Permalink

Good luck Diallo! We are going to miss you

• Tony the Liger
      10:45 am May 12, 2017 Permalink

Are we?

• BBNDan7
      11:29 am May 12, 2017 Permalink

• wyatts1
      11:49 am May 12, 2017 Permalink

The minute he plays a game for uk he will get the full and utmost support from all the fans. But I’ll hold my thxs until he plays in rupp arena in front of our fans in a game. I understand his decision i truly do, but hes gotta understand our side of the equation. Seems like the fans are the real losers lately

• CatstopWontstop
      11:55 am May 12, 2017 Permalink

BBNDan7: How will we miss him, we don’t know him at all! He’s never played a game in a Kentucky uniform…I don’t know what his voice sounds like.

• pancakesfordinner
      12:44 pm May 12, 2017 Permalink

Wyatt and won’t stop is that how you feel about Enes Kanter?

• CatstopWontstop
      3:17 pm May 12, 2017 Permalink

Pancakes – The NCAA didn’t allow Kanter to play, he didn’t choose not to so it’s different. To be honest though, I sometimes forget he attended UK because outside of the “UnderKanter” thing he did at BBM there is nothing memorable about his time there.

3. chrislarkey
    10:52 am May 12, 2017 Permalink

As a fan I hope he comes back. I really want to see him play in college after hearing so much about him. So yeah I am selfish in that point.
    But who am I to tell or want someone not to go make a million+ for them and their family.

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      11:04 am May 12, 2017 Permalink

Exactly. I’d love to see him play for UK but if he can get paid, why not? Why are fans so mad about it? Makes no sense to me.

4. Ukfan1010
    10:54 am May 12, 2017 Permalink

So how come the reason he didn’t play at all was that he wanted to “stick to the plan??” And part of that plan was that he would come to college early and get a feel for the life of a college athlete and then be fully ready to play this coming season. He seemed so committed to sticking to the plan when it came to not playing at all last season so why is he not committed to the second part of that plan????

• Tony the Liger
      10:56 am May 12, 2017 Permalink

Because he has a chance to make millions of dollars, which sounds like a much better plan if you’re the recipient.

• Booby Petrino
      11:14 am May 12, 2017 Permalink

I’d be willing to bet he is sticking to the plan…he and Cal likely had this plan all along, to test the NBA waters. Perhaps they didn’t make it public knowledge at the time because they didn’t want everyone to start b$tching like they are now. At least they got out of hearing it for several months.

• 4everblue
      11:31 am May 12, 2017 Permalink

Let me see if I can help you understand…. If you had a chance to make a million over night what would you do? I’m guessing the same thing all of us would do.

• unbridled
      1:34 pm May 12, 2017 Permalink

4everblue, some people are incapable of understanding that very simple concept.

• Ukfan1010
      3:01 pm May 12, 2017 Permalink

I get it why he would want to go to the nba.. haha.. the part I don’t get is where he was so set on “sticking to the plan.” Obviously he’s not worried about sticking to the plan so why didn’t he play last season. Also, am I the only one that thinks that every high schooler will do this now just so that they don’t have to risk injury or wait a whole year to get to the NBA?? There won’t be a college basketball anymore. Everyone will just come for half a semester and then go to the league.

• Booby Petrino
      3:47 pm May 12, 2017 Permalink

lol Ukfan is on to something…this is the end of college basketball 🙂 lololol

• Booby Petrino
      3:48 pm May 12, 2017 Permalink

you know the plan they talked about to the media, but you don’t know if that was the only plan. You are a black/white kinda person, huh? Believe everything that you read?

• Ukfan1010
      10:29 pm May 12, 2017 Permalink

You hit the nail on the head haha! Extremely black/white kind of person! And I don’t want anyone to get the wrong message. I’m a huge uk fan and wish the best for Diallo! Just being the big fan I am, I just want him to come back and play for UK! 🙂

5. Trevor
    11:05 am May 12, 2017 Permalink

As a fan of Big Blue, I would love to see him play here next near.

But I have to ask one question. If you were a kid in his shoes with the potential to make millions, wouldn’t you at least pursue the opportunity? We need to stop being selfish at times and sometimes think of the kid and what THEY want not what we as BBN wants.

• Trevor
      11:19 am May 12, 2017 Permalink

*year…

6. CatsfaninFL
    11:08 am May 12, 2017 Permalink

Oh we can be selfish…that’s human nature. It’s just we need to not be complete jerks while we’re being selfish…haha. He has a great opportunity either way, and I wish him the best. Hopefully this does put some of what these kids go through into perspective. They have WAY more to gain and lose than we ever will.

7. 8xchamp
    11:24 am May 12, 2017 Permalink

Everyone asks who would he have played over, then they say surely hawkins. I’m of the opinion he should’ve played if he was that good. But surely should’ve taken briscoes minutes. I love cal but his loyalty has sometimes cost us. Also know without him UK wouldn’t be in those situations. So it’s a catch 22.

8. blugreg
    11:45 am May 12, 2017 Permalink

I don’t have any problem with him testing the waters and doing what is best for him and his family.If he can get first round and make a couple million, then God Bless Him. My problem is his intentions. If it was his decision not to play this year and then to apply for the draft without playing at UK and this was his family’s plan all along, then he used the university…taking its one semester scholarship, traveling with the team, using is facilities and training with the team! He used us!! Did Cal know this was going to happen? If so, why did he take him? Could we have gotten someone else if Diallo wasn’t an option…Lonnie Walker? I wish he would go ahead and stay in the draft now and we might have a better chance at Johnson! I’m just feeling a little used!!

• ukcamel
      12:02 pm May 12, 2017 Permalink

We got Hami after everyone else had committed and we aren’t losing out on anyone if he leaves. That is why I won’t be upset if he leaves. It’s his choice and he cost us nothing by practicing with the team for a semester.

Also it can’t be overstated how much this will help Cal with recruits! Whether he stays or leaves, this is Cal demonstrating through acts that he is a players first coach.

• JustUrAvg
      12:16 pm May 12, 2017 Permalink

Dramatic much?

• unbridled
      1:37 pm May 12, 2017 Permalink

UKcamel gets it! It’s just really not that difficult people. What is wrong with you?

• blugreg
      1:56 pm May 12, 2017 Permalink

No apparently you don’t get it! We were recruiting him as a priority. If Cal knew of his intentions he could have backed off and focused on someone else. Maybe Cal did know and pursued him anyway thinking it was worth the gamble. Anyways, coming here with little intention of playing is crappy! I don’t blame him for doing whats best for him but if this is what he was going to do he should have stayed at the prep school and not used the university and its resources.

• Booby Petrino
      3:52 pm May 12, 2017 Permalink

We get it, greg. Good lord, Cal knows what he’s doing, this kid didn’t pull any wool over Cal’s eyes and use the university. Cal wanted him here to practice with the other players. Cal wants players to pursue their dreams. Cal knew damn well he would test the waters, and we should all know damn well by now that if they have a chance of getting drafted in the first round, Cal will encourage them to go. Step back from the ledge, take a deep breath. It’s going to be okay.

• unbridled
      4:17 pm May 12, 2017 Permalink

Sorry greg….you most certainly don it get it. Cal knew and diallo knew. Uk did not miss out on a single recruit. Have you been paying attention? Diallo practicing with the team last year was a positive. Diallo being a first round draft pick is also a positive for the university. The way coach cal recruits, this will only help him. Sorry you don’t understand that.

9. Sentient Third Eye
    11:49 am May 12, 2017 Permalink

Having him on the team last year only made us better, so why be upset if he never actually plays a real game in a UK uniform? He did no harm to the program.

10. ofberry27
    11:55 am May 12, 2017 Permalink

I believe people are talking about all the wrong things in this situation. If Diallo decides to leave that’s great for him and we should support him. But the real topic needs to be about the NBA. Wasn’t the NBA the ones complaining about players coming straight from high school? They install the one and done system so they have game film on these players, but interesting how they drafted Thon Maker last year and possibly Diallo this year. It really just shows that making these kids play College is a flawed system. Now if the NBA said “No we’re not drafting Diallo because we have no film on him.” That would be something very interesting to watch unfold.

11. postfeeder
    12:05 pm May 12, 2017 Permalink

Coming from an older, selfish UK fan I think the memories that could be made on this special Kentucky team may be worth more than any 19 year old could imagine. Providing for your family is an equally special opportunity for anyone. Nice having a decision with no wrong answer.

• bdmnky81
      5:50 pm May 12, 2017 Permalink

That is an Excellent attitude to have, Sir!

12. Caliparty09
    12:12 pm May 12, 2017 Permalink

100% of the fanbase would be perfectly happy if the media would stop asking questions “on our behalf” and stop reporting on Hami until he makes a decision. If he decides to go pro, we might vent for like half a day….then he will be forgotten forever and we will move on and support our team.

13. 4KCATS
    12:17 pm May 12, 2017 Permalink

I think this is all much adieu about nothing. He’s gone and it is what it is. Will the same scenario happen again? Quite possibly. In the college basketball environment of today anything like this is possible. So until the NBA implements a change, everybody has to deal with it. Move on.

14. kybigblue
    12:26 pm May 12, 2017 Permalink

I don’t blame him for going after his dream and the money. Not playing in the spring or playing at the combine probably will result in some team taking a chance on him in the first round. Better to leave them guessing in this case. He is doing what is best for him and his family whether he returns or not.

UK in my opinion should not give out basketball scholarships to players who don’t play at UK unless there is an injury or the NCAA rules them ineligible after they have already enrolled like Kanter. Why not give that basketball scholarship to someone who will play at UK.

• Cletis75
      12:47 pm May 12, 2017 Permalink

That scholarship was open when he got here halfway through the season. It will be open again when he leaves, just like Fox, Monk and Adebayo’s. Scholarship wasn’t in play or use, why not use it to take a chance on a kid with this much potential, rather than let it sit on a shelf? I mean, if NBA scouts and teams see the potential, aren’t you glad that our coaches did too? Some “problems” are good problems to have.

15. UKALLDAY1
    1:11 pm May 12, 2017 Permalink

This could be the start of something big, if I am ranked top 10 in my class it would be in my best interest to attend a year of prep school and skip college. Then you can keep your reputation, not have any flaws in your game exposed and maintain a high draft pick. If Skal would have opted to do that then he would have been the second pick in the draft. It cost him MILLIONS! Thon Maker also benefited. If I am advising ta top 15 prep player this would be my advise for them.

• Shagaris Sock Puppet
      2:26 pm May 12, 2017 Permalink

Yes and no. Its a catch 22, whats good for one, might not be good for another! In that sense then KAT would have not been the number 1 pick by showcasing how dominant he became in the course of a season with Cal. He went from not even the number one prospect out of high school, to the number one pick in the draft! I dont think it will happen a ton more, but in certain situations, it will definitely be a good option for some kids.

• ukcamel
      3:45 pm May 12, 2017 Permalink

There is already a clear path to skip playing in college and not showcase your flaws (or talents). We have already seen a few players sign up to play overseas, where mostly they don’t get off the bench and get paid pretty well. Emmanuel Mudiay did this because his eligibility was questionable. Terrance Ferguson just did it voluntarily. As did Brandon Jennings way back in the day at the beginning of the One and Done Rule (and people thought it would start a huge trend, it didn’t).

16. Marcus Areolas
    4:06 pm May 12, 2017 Permalink

None and done.

17. njCat
    5:56 pm May 12, 2017 Permalink

If Diallo leaves I will think of him the same as any other recruit who decided not to play for KY. Dead to me.

• UKALLDAY1
      7:06 pm May 12, 2017 Permalink

Whoa, calm down there turbo, read the quote bro. He has mouths to feed! He is trying to end a generation of poverty! If you were in his shoes you’d do the same thing. Unfortunately his life is not about pleasing the UK fa base. Have you ever been to Queens, NY easily one of the roughest areas in america! I have a different respect for the kid after putting things in perspective, this is about life and helping the people who matter most to you. I’ll support him either way

18. Chadb2315
    4:03 am May 13, 2017 Permalink

I dont think you are EXPECTED to provide for your family for the rest of their lives at age 18…i think it’s ok if you do a little living and figuring yourself out first. Just a thought.

19. scwhite9
    8:32 am May 13, 2017 Permalink

It is his choice. I hope everyone just leaves him alone and lets him work it out. If it were my child, I would say the same thing. We, as adult, need to keep the negativity to ourselves. He seems like a nice young man; whether he stays or whether he goes, I wish him well.