PJ Washington, Jarred Vanderbilt and Wenyen Gabriel have until 11:59 pm Wednesday night to return to Kentucky if they intend to maintain their collegiate eligibility. We’re now two and a half days from that deadline (after what has seemed like an eternity of waiting) and we still don’t know exactly when each player will announce their decision or what those decisions will be when it’s all said and done.
We do know PJ Washington plans to wait until the very end. He will continue to chat with NBA teams today and tomorrow, he said, and his father confirmed last week that May 30 would be the day his son announces his final decision. It sounds like we could be in for a repeat of last year’s Decision Day when Hamidou Diallo waited until the final minutes to decide and submit his paperwork (although he later admitted to KSR he was late turning it all in and nearly lost his eligibility over it).
But what about Jarred Vanderbilt and Wenyen Gabriel? Things have been quiet around them regarding their timetables.
In my opinion, Gabriel would be wise to wait to see what Vanderbilt and Washington do. If both return, it might be in his best interest to go ahead and start making money however he can. But if both were to leave for the NBA, it would open up a huge opportunity for Gabriel to be one of the main contributors in Kentucky’s frontcourt next season. If I were him, I would hold off until I know what the others are doing.
Then there is Jarred Vanderbilt, the quietest of the three. Vanderbilt hasn’t been able to work out for NBA teams throughout the entire process, so it’s odd he still hasn’t made a decision because he doesn’t have a ton of new feedback to receive from the league. Many (if not all) fans are wondering why he’s even considering a departure in the first place, so it would seem that his decision is the easiest of the three and his mind will be the first to be made.
The catch here is all three are eager to go, so they’re waiting for anything to tell them to go. But the clock is ticking, and if they haven’t gotten confirmation by now, they’re probably not getting it this late in the game.
It’s crazy they’re all so unpredictable, but the news could come out anytime, finally.
My guess is we hear from Vanderbilt first, but I don’t know any more than you do.