Greg Sankey wanted more on UK academics in Calipari’s 30 for 30

SEC commissioner Greg Sankey finally got around to watching One and Not Done over the weekend — he’s been busy investigating North Carolina for academic fraud — and he has one criticism of the film.

Speaking at an event on Monday, Sankey said he wished the film focused more on the academics around Kentucky men’s basketball and how many players who leave early eventually return to school to complete their degrees.

The full quote, courtesy of The Courier-Journal:

“I haven’t talked to Cal about it and (UK athletics director) Mitch Barnhart. I actually think the program missed what happens academically at Kentucky around men’s basketball,” Sankey said. “In fact, I know that’s the case. Stories of young men coming back after they’ve had that professional opportunity and continuing to return to receive their education, those are real. … They well support them academically, and they keep inviting them back to campus to continue to pursue their degree.”

Meanwhile, Jay Bilas has a problem with Sankey serving as the chairman of the NCAA Committee on Infractions as it looks into the UNC scandal. One of Bilas’ many comments in a series of tweets on what he calls a conflict of interest, reads, “His conflict is clear and cannot be waived, no matter how good his judgment may be. NCAA rules address recusal at perception of conflict.”

See all of Bilas’ tweets on his timeline here.

Article written by Drew Franklin

21 Comments for Greg Sankey wanted more on UK academics in Calipari’s 30 for 30

1. Bluebloodtoo
    11:19 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

Having an ACC guy lead the committee would also be a clear conflict of interest as those schools all share revenue from the NCAA tournament that is driven largely by the more successful schools, like UNC. I think having someone outside the ACC drive this is a very good idea. Whether that should be the SEC commish or some other commish is up for debate, although I’m not really sure it matter at that point. UNC has been able to get away with everything to this point, it’s time to put someone in charge that they can’t get to…

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      11:23 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

Exactly! I’m not sure how someone from the SEC has a conflict of interest but someone from ACC wouldn’t?

2. Sentient Third Eye
    11:24 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

First, being SEC Commissioner does not constitute a conflict of interests because NCAA basketball is not a zero-sum game. It does not automatically raise the SEC if an ACC team is punished. Second, punishing a bad actor in the ACC arguably makes the ACC stronger in the long run by forcing them to clean up their act. So punishing UNC does not do harm to the ACC.

3. So I guess you have to be commissioner of some D3 conference out west to not have a COI?

• runningunnin.454
      1:11 pm April 25, 2017 Permalink

I would vote for San Francisco….they gave their own program the death penalty; for like 20 years. Those Jesuits are tough.

4. Mathlete
    11:35 am April 25, 2017 Permalink

Who would Bilas prefer administer the process at UNC? A martian?

Any decent lawyer can find a conflict of interest somewhere in any case they don’t want to take on, the question is whether Sankey’s interests actually conflict with UNC’s. For example, Sankey did recuse himself from the Ole Miss investigation because *that’s* a conflict of interest since he’s the commissioner of Ole Miss’s conference.

5. rickwhitetx
    12:09 pm April 25, 2017 Permalink

Jay Bilas is more like Jay Biased in this case. Anyone in a power 5 conference would likely have a similar conflict of interest as Sankey. I don’t agree with you on this topic Jay.

• runningunnin.454
      1:09 pm April 25, 2017 Permalink

He is biased most of the time.

• Mathlete
      3:54 pm April 25, 2017 Permalink

I’m tired of people using the adjective “biased” like it’s an insult. Everyone is biased all the time. That’s part of the nature of being human, you’re going to have an opinion (and you know what they say about opinions).

Bilas is a commentator, not Newsbot 5000. He’s allowed, encouraged, and paid by ESPN to have opinions; some of them you agree with and some you don’t. That you have an opinion that disagrees with his means you’re equally biased in the opposite direction, if you have one that agrees with his you’re biased the same way he is. If you want objective news, watch weather radar because that’s just about the only place you’ll find it.

6. terwilliger
    12:12 pm April 25, 2017 Permalink

I really do not understand why Bilas — and the Duke community as a whole — are trying to sweep all this under the rug. It baffles me. The only thing I can possibly think of is they have a whole bunch of their own dirty laundry when it comes to academics.

• Mathlete
      12:35 pm April 25, 2017 Permalink

You mean to imply that a university whose former players include a guy who openly believes the Earth is flat might have some fake classes to keep players eligible???

• RealCatsFan
      5:11 pm April 25, 2017 Permalink

They apparently have a class on Advanced Jewelry Acquisition. Just ask Lance Thomas.

7. a21CATSfan
    12:53 pm April 25, 2017 Permalink

So this is a conflict of interest? Who should lead the investigation?… Roy Williams? I would hate to have a fair investigation into 18 years of academic fraud. But it’s perfectly fine to keep placing John Higgins to call John Calipari’s games deep in the tournament, when there is a clear bias/conflict of interest there.

8. The Original WTF Guy
    2:08 pm April 25, 2017 Permalink

Can anyone identify the moment Bilas went from being maybe the best at what he does to being a complete joke? I have defended him for some time as I really believe he is very good, but he has become more and more a shill for ESPN/UNC-CH/Duke.

Why would the SEC Commish need to recuse him/herself any more than any other Commish?

• EdC
      6:27 pm April 25, 2017 Permalink

It was a pretty quick turn around. Seems like just 2 or 3 years ago he was easy to listen to. Now he’s become a caricature. Not as bad as DICK but really hard to listen to now.

9. serdi
    2:48 pm April 25, 2017 Permalink

Hope Matt forwards his comments to Bilas.

10. CatBlue in LR
    3:44 pm April 25, 2017 Permalink

I appreciate Sankey’s comments about UK’s under-reported academic success in the basketball program. I also wish it had been discussed in the documentary. Maybe in the sequel?

11. justaguyinthebackrow
    4:05 pm April 25, 2017 Permalink

LOL, Bilas and the UNC fans are just embarrassing themselves on Twitter. They will believe any line and use any fallacy to move the blame away from UNC and make it look like they did nothing wrong. If UNC doesn’t get at least 2 titles revoked, someone didn’t do their job.

12. Ken Grizzle
    4:20 pm April 25, 2017 Permalink

I don’t like the fact that Jay Bilas and the other heels and dookies do
    the ACC games on ESPN. I remember when other schools raised hell about Larry Conley and Tom Hammond doing SEC games.

• Big DAWG Loggin
      4:38 pm April 25, 2017 Permalink

I completely agree.

13. dballrb
    10:13 am April 26, 2017 Permalink

I think it’s because Duke should’ve gotten sanctions also,but didn’t.Perhaps since Jay’s got a J.D.from Duke,he may be concerned that digging through the layers of the investigation,perhaps they find a link.Just my (OPINION).