Great moments in UK/Vandy history: Nazr’s circus buzzer beater

Memorial Gymnasium has been home to some wild moments in college basketball over the years, but for the Cats, it’s hard to beat Nazr Mohammed’s circus buzzer beater back in 1998.  My favorite parts:

— Nazr’s reaction, and Steve Masiello trying to pull his jersey off

— Heshimu Evans’ “King of the World” pose at 1:32

— Tubby frantically (and wisely) trying to get his players off the court before they could review the play

— The Vandy player’s reaction at 2:01

I also kind of like that old school Nashville skyline logo at midcourt.

9 Comments for Great moments in UK/Vandy history: Nazr’s circus buzzer beater

1. Frew Dranklin
    12:43 pm January 10, 2014 Permalink

“In this case, the mountain came to Mohammad” #puns

2. brad
    12:44 pm January 10, 2014 Permalink

How about posting a different vid from a vandy game.

3. Melvit
    1:21 pm January 10, 2014 Permalink

The kid running down the steps at 2:38, is he a happy UK fan or a pissed off Vandy fan?

4. brandon stevie
    1:39 pm January 10, 2014 Permalink

I was a sophomore in high school I watched this the basement at my parents house and was Mir estatic than the players. Clips like this make my feelings against one and done players stronger.

5. Heshimu Azubuike Harrellson
    2:23 pm January 10, 2014 Permalink

I remember this like it was yesterday… and it was 15+ years ago. *Starts browsing for motorcycles on Craigslist to cope…*

6. BNClay
    2:26 pm January 10, 2014 Permalink

My question is what this heck did Tubby draw up in the huddle? Nazi gave us a memorable ending, but if that toss doesn’t go Cats look silly for throughing to him beyond the 3 point line.

7. JackB
    3:13 pm January 10, 2014 Permalink

The play was designed to go to Evans on the left wing, but he was covered (I think). So Jeff threw it across court to the open Narz – whose defender bought the pump fake (really?). The release is as close to .1 and .0 as any you will see. Hard to tell.

8. Awesome
    3:19 pm January 10, 2014 Permalink

I remember that so clearly. And just look at the career Nazr went on to have. It’s 15 years later and he’s still in the NBA. He was a “project” coming into college because he was so overweight. Pitino clearly seen the potential in him and, as he did with so many supposed mediocre players, he got everything possible out of them. Tubby gets some credit there as well for continuing his development. Tubby was an excellent coach he just didn’t like the recruiting and it being a 365 day a year job.

9. bmack
    5:05 pm January 10, 2014 Permalink

I was only 10 rows up, sitting in the Vandy student section. One of the best live finishes I’ve ever seen. To go from the bedlam after the Drew Maddux 3 to the stunned silence after Nazr’s shot was priceless.