Great Moments In Isaac Humphries History

humphries

Isaac Humphries’ time as a Kentucky Wildcat has come to a close. After two years in a reserve big man role in which he averaged 8.6 minutes per game, Humphries has made the difficult decision to move on to the next phase of his life: playing basketball professionally.

Wherever that leads him — likely in his native Australia or somewhere else overseas — Humphries has played his last minute of basketball in Lexington. It was a two-year run with a couple of breakthrough performances and a lot of trying to find his groove off the bench, and we were all happy to watch his journey.

So tonight, as we say Hooroo! to our favorite Aussie, we revisit the great moments in Isaac Humphries history.

I-Zack or I-Zick?

I will forever remember Isaac Humphries as the player whose fairly common first name could not be pronounced correctly by fans and the media for most of his time in front of them. Is it I-Zack? I-Zick?

He finally settled the debate after over a year in Lexington, telling fans at the Big Blue Madness Campout that it’s okay to pronounce it however your accent wants to pronounce it:

So if you’re from Kentucky, don’t force the I-Zack. There’s nothing worse than that, he said. “That’s further away than we were before.”

That time he serenaded Shannon Spake.

We heard a lot about Humphries’ musical talents soon after he landed on campus, and Shannon Spake had the pleasure of sitting down next to him at the piano for a live performance during this freshman year:

He does have a good voice, but this video made me question why there is a piano in the locker room and I still don’t have an answer.

Wildcat Carpool Karaoke.

Humphries’ vocals were on display once again in Kentucky basketball’s attempt at ‘Carpool Karaoke,’ the popular James Corden bit:

Anyone who can hang with Whitney Houston’s “I Will Always Love You” is a great singer.

The Spike

Now for the lowest moment of Isaac Humphries’ short career: the time he spiked the ball and cost Kentucky a game at Texas A&M.

He played great on the road and made a huge play that should’ve sealed the victory in the closing minutes, but then his emotions got the best of him. He spiked the ball with excitement and earned a controversial technical foul call.

The call should not have been made, which is why Calipari’s postgame speech to his team was nothing more than, “We got cheated. Let’s go home.”

Still, Humphries felt guilty and was crushed by his mistake. Tyler Ulis said he couldn’t stop apologizing after the game.

Kentucky’s win streak when he scored

Up until the final game of the season, Kentucky was 24-0 when Isaac Humphries scored a point in 2016-17. It was like clockwork. Whenever Humphries got a bucket, the ball game was over.

I made a video to commemorate his game-winning shot in the Florida game with his team down 11 early with 12 minutes left in the first half:

It worked every time, until…

The UNC Game

Humphries’ best game of his career just so happened to be his last: a career-high 12-point game in the Elite Eight against North Carolina. It appeared he was on his way to earning a spot in Kentucky lore, but in the end he was robbed of being the hero who carried his team to the Final Four.

If the Cats could’ve prevailed in the end, Humphries goes down as a legend. We know what happened instead and it is still too fresh to type it out right now.

But we’ll never forget him knocking down those big shots.

All-NCAA South Region

Humphries’ surprise performance against UNC earned him surprise All-NCAA South Region. And it’s not crazy to think that game gave him the confidence he needed to go ahead and make the jump to pro basketball.

Good luck to him and thanks for the memories.

Article written by Drew Franklin

19 Comments for Great Moments In Isaac Humphries History

1. UKALLDAY1
    8:50 pm April 12, 2017 Permalink

You know this is my biggest issue with the one and done culture. It is the expectations that us as fans and (At times) the coaches put on these kids. At UK if you come back for your sophmore year it is equivalent to repeating the 4th grade. You are looked down upon and Coach Cal just recruits right over you! The reason why Carolina is so good, is because of seniors and juniors who stay and TRUST THE PROCESS!! Humphries would have been a great player had he stayed all 4 years. At UK, it really is all or nothing for one year! We have to ask ourselves, why are kids running away? I understand D.Fox and Monk. But Briscoe declares and Humphries runs away? Cal said 8 so Humphries is 7, so there is on more!!

• wildcatfan20
      1:53 pm April 13, 2017 Permalink

We are at 8 by my count…

1. Willis
      2. Hawkins
      3. Mulder
      4. Fox
      5. Monk
      6. Briscoe
      7. Adebayo (didn’t hire an agent)
      8. Humphries

2. UKALLDAY1
    8:50 pm April 12, 2017 Permalink

One more***

3. jim tom
    8:57 pm April 12, 2017 Permalink

All I know is I would not trade my 4 and done years in college for anything in the world

4. shelby
    8:57 pm April 12, 2017 Permalink

Isaac could’ve done all year what he did against UNC. He was not given a fair chance Imo. If we don’t get bamba, and bam leaves, this young man will be missed badly. If he had been at another school, he likely would’ve put up 20 and 10 against us had we played against him.

5. BlueDeuce
    10:33 pm April 12, 2017 Permalink

Given the chance I think he has a shot…he never got the chance at UK. Spot minutes when he could have been a starter. I know that is crazy to say and who sits if he starts? Well…IDK that answer and I don’t get paid to know it…what I do know is he showed his ability to knock down those 15 footers on more than one occasion and he is young so he’ll only get better.

The system of one and done doesn’t penalize the guys that come back (WCS, PP, Jones, etc.) but what it does do is make kids make decisions about playing time over guaranteed first round picks. I think his reasoning to leave is as much to do about playing time as being ready…he wasn’t getting it next year over a true one and done kid…not in this system. I love this system and love being in contention every year…but it does make kids leave too early.

Wish him nothing but the best and I think we’ll see him again. Might not be for a few years but I can see him in the NBA…as the saying goes, you can’t teach 7 feet!

• chrisg18
      8:41 am April 13, 2017 Permalink

I think he is only in the NBA if he stays on the NBA radar. Don’t think that happens overseas or in Australia. Would have only happened by staying at UK or maybe piddling around in the D league for a few years – but then why leave if that is the option? Low money there.

6. chris43
    11:07 pm April 12, 2017 Permalink

It’s about talent. I agree Humphries has potential but he wasn’t ready last year. The talent showed in flashes but not regularly. Now I’ll agree part of that was due to spot minutes here and there. But the million dollar question is…who do you sit in order to get Humphries “learning time” which comes at the cost of the team? (Considering you’d be sitting a better player). Hawkins and Willis also didn’t get that many minutes the first three years BUT they stayed the course, continued to get better and their Senior year it paid off and they played key complimentary roles. Those are the type of players we need to add in addition to the one and done players.

7. jaws2
    11:27 pm April 12, 2017 Permalink

I really liked this kid, but if he’d played regularly he would’ve fouled out in the first half of every game. Slow of foot on defense and was a poor shooter around the glass. I have to believe that he would have vastly lmproved over time just practicing against Bam on a daily basis, but I never saw this when he was in games. I also believe that had he been more effective that Cal would have played him more. You can’t play a guy that gets into foul trouble constantly. I wish he would’ve stayed because I think he would have developed into a pretty good presence at the 4 or 5. I wish him great success at his next endeavor.

• Angelo
      1:47 am April 13, 2017 Permalink

Agree. He wants to be the future, an outside shooter, as a big… Cal is still in the dribble drive mode.

8. 8xchamp
    12:19 am April 13, 2017 Permalink

He had none, so I’m not reading

9. chrisg18
    8:36 am April 13, 2017 Permalink

This is what it’s come to? One good game and then it’s not crazy for kids to think they can be a pro. Yikes. With that thinking both Wenyen and Bam should leave, no brainers. It is crazy. And there is not really a rational argument otherwise.

• TBW3011
      9:02 am April 13, 2017 Permalink

He’s not leaving because of one game. His comments before that game ever occurred make that fairly obvious.

• chrisg18
      9:06 am April 13, 2017 Permalink

My comment was in reference to Drew’s statement in the last paragraph, which I think is a silly statement to make.

10. Shagaris Sock Puppet
    9:07 am April 13, 2017 Permalink

Is it wrong to say I dont even feel like I got to know Isac? He got his time, but I dont even know besides A&M and the UNC game, he was just a guy who gave us a few mins here and there. Its basically like he had a 12 point game against UNC and now hes ready to move on. BBN will always support ya man, but this one feels different. Like there was a lot left here on the table for Isac. Do your thing big Aus! This is almost like you have a really good night with a chick and stay up all night and you fall asleep with the idea that this was a good thing and you cant wait to see whats next, then you never get a text back. Will this be one of those you always wonder what if? Like a Dakari or a Teague second year….

11. SamKat83
    9:35 am April 13, 2017 Permalink

I will miss Isaac Humphries. I don’t know how he feels about coach Cal’s one and dones, but in my opinion, he always gave his best . Many of the officials ls saw him get up and called a foul on him right away.

It is just unfair that poor officiating often negates the best actions and hours of practicing of coaches and players.

Isaac, we will miss you for sure, but I still love Coach Cal for his great effect of Kentucky basketball.

You will succeed!