Grantland: “It has been John Calipari’s March Madness”

Andrew Weber-USA TODAY Sports

I may or may not have spent part of my morning defending Kentucky and John Calipari to my dentist (a Tennessee fan) on Facebook. With Kentucky in its fourth Final Four in five years, the bitter and lazy criticism of Cal still gets to me, although the Cats’ success this season has quieted it some, forcing it back under the bridge where it feeds on Jeff Goodman tweets and prays for some sign of weakness.

I should be above this stuff by now, especially this week. As Cal would say, I need to stop letting the haters steal my joy. But it’s a Monday morning, and thankfully, Grantland’s Charles P. Pierce gave me some good ammunition to fire back with:

“It has been John Calipari’s March Madness, for good or ill. In the years since he coached UMass to a Final Four appearance that no longer counts in the record books – and since he coached Memphis to a Final Four appearance that no longer counts, either – a lot has changed in college athletics. The NCAA model, under which Calipari’s first two Final Fours had been rendered nonevents, has come under siege from so many angles, and in so many places, that it now functions as little more than an object of ridicule. As that occurred, Calipari has been rehabilitated as the first coach to succeed under what may be the new paradigm of college athletics – a pure business model, an honest transaction between the athletes and the institutions that their efforts enrich. The one-and-done philosophy that has been the source of Calipari’s success at Kentucky now looks less like a completely cynical exercise in brand-building and more like a realistic appraisal of how to operate within an enterprise that is being reformed from the outside in.”

More good stuff where that came from, so good check it out. And don’t fight with your dentist on Facebook.

[Grantland]

7 Comments for Grantland: “It has been John Calipari’s March Madness”

1. bouzoukiman
    10:48 am March 30, 2015 Permalink

Yeah, TT, you don’t want to upset your dentist. Just watch the movie “Marathon Man”. 😉

• James
      10:59 am March 30, 2015 Permalink

Little Shop of Horrors with Jack Nicholson in the Dentist chair

2. secrick
    10:55 am March 30, 2015 Permalink

Haters going to hate and your Dentist may be stupid or just an a*******ho**

3. cracka
    10:57 am March 30, 2015 Permalink

on another note not really mentioned on KSR yet, the McDonald’s AA game is on Wednesday and the 3 point contest and dunk contest will be on tonight … a little bit of basketball to help get us through the week

4. The Original WTF Guy
    11:05 am March 30, 2015 Permalink

Maybe I’m being a bit oversensitive on a Monday morning, but I see nothing terribly positive about Cal/UK in that article. The writer was barely able to hide his “Damn, I Wish They Had Lost” perspective and all but predicts that WI will beat us. Screw him and his stupid hat/goatee.

5. CATandMONKEY
    11:12 am March 30, 2015 Permalink

I read this, first thing this morning. It was surprising because Charlie Pierce has definitely been a major Cal Critic over the years.

His tone in the article is far from full-on praise. Some of his comments from the radio show “Only a Game” have qualified Pierce for the Cal-Hater Hall of Fame. Maybe he is coming around?

6. jeffj
    6:00 pm March 30, 2015 Permalink

Charles p. it seems, is a writer. writes for Esquire,Grantland, Esquire.com’s Politics blog, & a frequent guest on NPR. thats fine & dandy but this is Kentucky Basketball here & i gotta say he reminds me of a used car salesman that can talk for 1/2 hr. & never say anything. just lets talk about basketball and leave all the hog wash to the hogs. if Charles P. Pierce has any questions he’s welcome to contact ANY BBN folk(S) . GO CATS !!!