Game Four’s Monday Morning Wakeup

@ShawnMcKenzieSN

@ShawnMcKenzieSN

Greetings, friends. Long time no type. I’m back from my two-week adventure in Italy, during which I ate lots of pasta, drank lots of wine, and generally did my best to forget about UK Sports for a while…until Ryan Lemond’s creepy laugh woke me up one night to tell me Hamidou Diallo was coming back to school. (As you might imagine, going back to sleep after that was impossible.) I’ll share bits and pieces from my trip over the next week, but right now, a much more important matter is upon us: Game Four of the Stanley Cup Finals.

Being abroad when the Nashville Predators won the Western Conference Finals was tough, as was getting home just in time to witness their humiliating loss in Game Two; that’s why Saturday’s 5-1 win was so sweet. I’ve lived in Nashville for 11 years now, and I’ve never witnessed a more amazing day in the city. Over 50,000 fans flooded the streets downtown, forcing police to close down two additional blocks of Broadway all the way to the river. For once, there were more locals than tourists downtown as Preds fans pushed out bachelorette parties and staked their claim to hear Alan Jackson’s free concert and swap guesses as to who will sing the national anthem (Martina McBride) and how many catfish would hit the ice (by my count, three). The Preds responded, turning in a crucial 5-1 win to move the series to 2-1. Even though it’s a Monday, I expect the atmosphere will be equally as rabid leading up to an essential Game Four. I got my fill of the chaos downtown on Saturday, but will be cheering from my lucky seat here in East Nashville. Join me at 8 p.m. on NBC Sports. We got this.

In the meantime, here’s what we’ll be talking about today:

1. UK Baseball will play NC State for a spot in the Super Regional tonight

The Bat Cats got back on track in the Lexington regional with two huge wins yesterday, the first over Indiana and the second over NC State to force a final showdown with the Wolfpack tonight. The winner will advance to the Super Regional in Louisville to face the Cardinals. The game starts at 7 p.m. at The Cliff, and while you should do absolutely everything you can to be there to cheer them on in person, it should be televised, although the channel has yet to be determined. We’ll keep you updated.

2. Coach Mingione got a little emotional in the postgame presser

How much would a spot in the Super Regionals mean to this program and its players? Nick Mingione teared up when talking about his senior centerfielder Marcus Carson last night:

How can you not love Mingione? Speaking of baseball…

3. How about my Davidson Wildcats?

My other Wildcats knocked off 2-seed North Carolina last night to win the Chapel Hill Regional in what D1 Baseball’s Aaron Fitt called one of the biggest upsets in college baseball history. Between the Preds winning Saturday, both sets of Wildcats winning Sunday, and Steph Curry doing his thing in the NBA Finals, it was certainly a great weekend to be a Wildcat. Watch the awesome winning moment below:

4. Calipari was in NYC this weekend

After stops in Destin for the SEC Spring Meetings and Pittsburgh for Game Two of the Stanley Cup Finals, Calipari was in NYC this weekend to take his son Brad to a Mets/Pirates game:

Something tells me Cal will be back in Pittsburgh for Game 5 of the Stanley Cup Finals Thursday night.

5. 17 Days until the NBA Draft

Believe it or not, there are only 17 days until the NBA Draft in New York, and while I was gone, it seems buzz continued to grow around De’Aaron Fox. Fox impressed at the Catalyst Sports Pro Day this weekend, prompting some to suggest that the Lakers may pass on Lonzo Ball and take Fox instead with the second pick. We saw this as the season went on, but Fox’s shooting continues to improve, as you can see in this video from his Pro Day workout via Draft Express:

After the workout was over, Fox was back in the weight room to put in more work:

Make the right choice, Magic.

6. I had the best risotto in the world in Burano

Should you ever find yourself in Venice, Italy and overwhelmed by the crowds, do yourself a favor and hop on the ferry to Burano, a small fishing island about 40 minutes outside the city. Known for lace and brightly painted buildings, Burano is an amazing oasis, made even more so by the seafood risotto at Da Romano. My husband and I first heard about the dish on Anthony Bourdain’s “No Reservations,” and made the trek solely to try it; we were not disappointed. Prepared delicately with “go,” a local fish, it was simply perfection, especially when paired with the house white wine and this view:

Sigh. Before I hop on a plane back to Venice, let’s keep going.

7. The Governor’s Cup Luncheon is tomorrow

For some reason, the Governor’s Cup luncheon is still held in June even though the rivalry showdown takes place in November, but alas, this year’s version takes place tomorrow afternoon at the Frankfort County Club. That means awkward photo opps between Mark Stoops and Bobby Petrino, plenty of pictures of the trophy, and hopefully a little bit of swaggy trash talk. Usually, this event is a bore, but it sure is nice to come in as the winner after last season’s upset for the ages.

Speaking of…

8. The UK Football Women’s Clinic is set for July 22

Period jokes aside, last year’s women’s clinic was a great way to get ready for football season, and from what I hear, the folks at UK have even more tricks up their sleeves for this year’s event, which will go down in the Woodford Reserve Club at Kroger Field on Saturday, July 22. The registration fee is $75, which includes a gift, t-shirt, lunch, and all the pictures with Freddie Maggard you could dream of. For more information, visit ukathletics.com/camps.

9. Wonder Woman was awesome

I’m not a huge superhero/comic books fan, nor do I expect a lot from Hollywood when it comes to females in leading roles, but I absolutely loved Wonder Woman. I came in not knowing a lot about the character other than her accessories have powers, but director Patty Jenkins and star Gal Gadot brought a story many have struggled with to life. I left the theater ready to rumble and happy that finally, little girls have a heroine that’s just as badass as Batman, Superman, or the countless other male superheroes. Do yourself a favor and go see it.

10. One hour until the gang discusses Shannon’s win over Tony Vanetti in OVW

If you haven’t seen the pictures and videos of Shannon wrestling in a speedo, consider yourself warned:

Tune in to hear the gang break it down one hour and six minutes from now.

24 Comments for Game Four’s Monday Morning Wakeup

1. DrewP
    9:38 am June 5, 2017 Permalink

No mention of NBA finals. Lol. Rediculous talent on the warriors.

2. Eazy
    10:46 am June 5, 2017 Permalink

Go Penguins! Huge win for the Cats of Davidson last night. Big one for our Cats tonight. Lets take down another NC team!

3. Eazy
    11:05 am June 5, 2017 Permalink

Also, Katniss Everdeen > Wonder Woman

4. KYcats11
    11:32 am June 5, 2017 Permalink

Wow, we title the the top ten post for the Preds, not the baseball team that has a huge game today. Guess what, when I get on ksr i don’t give a damn about the preds. I’m ok if you mention it in the top ten, but to title the post for the preds is complete blasphemy. Go BatCats!

• BBNDan7
      12:04 pm June 5, 2017 Permalink

You seem very upset, you should take a nap

• ukkatzfan
      12:28 pm June 5, 2017 Permalink

KYcats11, I am for you. preds belong tenn.. Same goes for the loser reds. They belong to ohio. I don’t expect StL Cardinal updates on here. I got places to go for that too.

• KYcats11
      12:34 pm June 5, 2017 Permalink

Exactly ukkatsfan, I am a reds fan, and while they have updates for the reds on here, it’s not something that really needs to be here. If I like the reds, there is a place to go get news for that. Seems like a very selfish top 10 post (I do recognize that their are uk fans that are preds fans, but there are also uk fans that are fans of pretty much every pro team in the country, but they don’t provide updates on them.

• Eazy
      2:10 pm June 5, 2017 Permalink

I agree about the Preds but the Reds are basically a KY team. It’s different than the Cards. Cincy metro includes 600,000 people in KY and the Reds have a huge following in KY. Evan White and Riley Mahan are huge Reds fans too btw…so there is a connection. Not to mention all the Reds games are on tv locally.

• Eazy
      2:23 pm June 5, 2017 Permalink

You can’t walk to a Cards game from Kentucky. Cincinnati sits right on the border of Kentucky and half of the Reds team lives in the commonwealth. Not sure why people can’t see the connection. It’s like Kansas City is to Kansas or NJ being the home of NY teams.

• ukkatzfan
      2:37 pm June 5, 2017 Permalink

With that logic, the Evansville Aces, Otters and Eagles ,Cinn Bengals, university of Cinn and sure there are others should be covered by ksr.

• Eazy
      2:47 pm June 5, 2017 Permalink

Cincinnati is the closest pro sports town and is local to northern KY. It’s different than college and minor league teams. This is a ridiculous conversation. The Bengals have a lot of fans in ky too.

• Eazy
      2:50 pm June 5, 2017 Permalink

Oh, and the Reds have a UK day every year. Glad I’m not a bandwagon Cubs fan and actually root for the local team.

• Eazy
      3:00 pm June 5, 2017 Permalink

The majority of Cards fans root for Missouri or Illinois btw. UK fans are majority Reds. Let me know when STL decides to include 600,000 Kentuckians in their metro or honor UK and coach Cal. Stl doesn’t give a damn about Kentucky. That’s the bottom line.

• Booby Petrino
      12:38 pm June 5, 2017 Permalink

I agree with KYcats. Yeah sure, it’s their blog and they can do what they want. But UK should be priority over any other sports team and putting the Preds first and titling if for them is bs. Of course she probably wrote this before the game was over last night, not knowing if the Cats would win the last game. But still, get it together KSR, should have had that Batcats post ready to substitute that Preds crap. Preds and Reds can suck it, most of us in the state don’t care about either.

• Eazy
      2:13 pm June 5, 2017 Permalink

I’d say at least 50% of the state are Reds fans. If we didn’t care they wouldn’t broadcast all the games in KY.

• KYcats11
      12:40 pm June 5, 2017 Permalink

And while you are a great writer and really enjoy most of your work, I just don’t agree with making the title of the post about a pro team with no kentucky affiliation, when the cats have a huge game today, I’m 99% sure that more people on here care about UK baseball than the Preds.

• ukkatzfan
      2:33 pm June 5, 2017 Permalink

Western Ky belongs to the StL Cards. There are losers that like the reds but they are like the ville fans…..got their crown and dating their daughters. lol

• Eazy
      2:45 pm June 5, 2017 Permalink

I agree western Kentucky is for the Cards but St Louis doesn’t border KY and include 600,000 Kentuckians. Lexington and Louisville are both overwhelmingly Reds country too. All I’m saying is Cincinnati is much more local than STL. It’s simple geography.

5. krautdog
    11:43 am June 5, 2017 Permalink

Glad you weren’t anywhere near England last week. Keep up the good work!

6. The Original WTF Guy
    2:58 pm June 5, 2017 Permalink

Hey MTT,

Just back from Venice (among other places). Stayed at an amazing JW Marriott on a private island between Venice and Lido. Went to Burano but missed the risotto – next time!!

My second time there and it was just as amazing as the first time.

If you miss it: https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/veneto/venezia/riva-schiavoni.html

• Mrs. Tyler Thompson
      3:07 pm June 5, 2017 Permalink

Cool! We thought about staying at the JW Marriott, but opted to stay near the hustle and bustle instead. In retrospect, might have been nice to be further away from the crowds. Glad you enjoyed!