Gabriel Garcia Marquez’s Friday News and Views

gabriel

My senior year of high school at Middlesboro High was relatively boring. I had taken most of the classes that could be offered, was finishing up my athletic career with mediocre seasons in golf and tennis (I had already given up basketball due to general awfulness) and I was ready to go off to college in a city where all the restaurants did not close by 10 pm. But during this time one of my teachers (Mrs. Wilson) put me on an independent study where I would spend a hour in the library lying on the beanbags and reading various novels that she picked out. At first I thought the class would be the best thing ever because of how restful it would be, but in the end it became one of my favorites because of the world it introduced me to. As part of this class, I read the works of the great novelist Gabriel Garcia Marquez, who passed away on Thursday at the age of 87. Marquez is considered one of top handful of novelists of the 20th century, but at the time for me, he was just a name I had recited so I could win academic team competitions (I told you I was a really cool high schooler). However during that year, I read “100 Years of Solitude” and “Love in the Time of Cholera” and immediately loved both books. The stories were unlike anything I had ever before encountered and the language, even having been altered through translation, was vivid and beautiful. I looked forward to the hour every day when I could open the book and get taken away to Marquez’s created worlds and those reading experiences helped introduce me to a canon of literature that I would have never otherwise taken the time to encounter. Marquez died of cancer complications today, having lived a full life mixed in the worlds of literature and politics. If you get a chance some time, check out the two novels I first encountered on a Middlesboro High School library bean bag a number of years ago, and who knows, maybe you will find them just as enjoyable (or maybe not and you can still watch a marathon of “Party Down South” instead).

Three stories as we close out the week of my return to the night post:

JAMES YOUNG SAYS GOODBYE

I expected us to get one decision from a player this week and it came today as James Young announced he would be entering the NBA Draft. This is probably the least surprising decision of anyone making the call this year, in large part because of James himself. While Young is a great kid and has the potential to be a very good NBA player, school just wasn’t something he particularly loved. Those around the program knew that Young was unlikely to stay more than one year, not because he didn’t love Kentucky or being a Cat, but because he wasn’t interested in being in school for any longer than necessary. While that makes some people frustrated, I have no problem with kids pursuing whatever the dream is, even if it doesn’t involve Sociology 101.

Kentucky will miss Young, but I actually think he will showcase more of his skills in the NBA than in college IF he is willing to work (and this is a big if). Young may have the best offensive game of anyone on the team. He can shoot relatively well but is explosive off the dribble and can finish well at the rim. I don’t think we saw nearly as much of his ability in this area as he has, in large part because it just wasn’t what this team needed and they already had two other players in the Twins who were driving more often. Young is not a great defender (although he could be if he works) and is a terrible passer (and I dont know if that will get much better). But he does have the potential to get buckets in the league in bulk IF he puts in the work. All I worry about for James is that he showcases he loves basketball and that he is willing to be like Brandon Knight, MKG and others and put in the hours to get better. If he does, I think he will be a starter/6th man in the league. If he doesn’t then he could bounce around and not be effective. It is up to him. Either way however, I think this is the right decision for James and the NBA game will suit his set of skills well.

WAITING ON THE HARRISONS

While Julius Randle, Dakari Johnson and Alex Poythress are still left to make a decision, nearly all the focus from fans has been on the Harrison Twins. Part of that is because they seem like the biggest unknown, but part is because of the realization that their decision is the most important. Because Kentucky’s roster makeup is now so big-heavy (especially with the Willie Cauley-Stein decision), the Twins could hold the keys to the potential for a very big season. A UK backcourt without them only has three guards on the entire roster (Ulis, Booker and Hawkins). With them however, you go five deep and potentially have a 12 player bench that is quite formidable. I would argue getting the two of them back would be even bigger than the pipe dream of getting Randle back. They can improve by leaps and bounds and if they do, the team has amazing potential. Chad Ford of ESPN today said that the Twins are now leaning towards returning (he said they were leaving 36 hours ago) and that they would make a decision Tuesday or Wednesday. As I have said all along, I believe no one when it comes to Twins “scoop” because I think those that are talking about what they are going to do, aren’t part of the decision making process. If you made me guess, I would guess they return, but that (along with all the other opinions you see out there) is just a guess. But man…if they come back…whoa…

UK’S SUMMER PLANS

This will actually be an action-packed summer around UK’s basketball world. Calipari has another couple of weeks of promoting his book and then he is having hip replacement surgery on May 2. That will probably keep him out of activities for about a month and thus this could be one of the quieter Mays that we have ever had. But then recruiting will be huge this summer with the possibility of the 2015 class being the first that could end up with a two year rule by the NBA. If that happens, 2015 guys are even more valuable and the recruiting done this summer by Calipari, Kenny Payne and the new assistant (presumably Slice Rohrssen) is of tremendous importance. Kentucky will also get a summer trip and regardless of where it is, it will likely be timed somewhere in mid August. That will give the Cats a few weeks or practice before the trip and then 3-4 games on the trip. This new team gets all of that time to work out together and it will be a huge step towards creating team chemistry early on. We saw how important that was this year when the Twins and James Young were not able to get here early, and thus this is a very positive step. We have been used to summer offseasons with little news in the last couple of years…you may get a slight break in May, but after that, this summer will be action packed.

That is all for now…we hit the radio thing again in the morning and then head for a weekend of rest before the decisions of next week. Cross your fingers as I do feel good about where we are headed…

Article written by Matt Jones

52 Comments for Gabriel Garcia Marquez’s Friday News and Views

1. Not a joke
    10:55 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

The twins will come back..just heard it strait from the horses mouth..
    Announcment will come on Tuesday!

• Horses Mouth
      11:08 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

All I said was ” née née née née”.

2. Kentucky Joe
    11:11 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

I will have a song tomorrow on KSR. Join us on the KSR show hosted by Matt Jones, Ryan Lemond and Ky Joe.

3. Not a joke
    11:16 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

To be exact they will announce in the evening between 6-7…you can make fun until then..after you just wish you could be me

4. Ten loss Cal
    11:21 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

i told them all to announce their decision 2 or 3 days apart so they can get their spotlight

• Hahaha!
      2:00 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

U mad bro?

I gotta better name for ya: Six Loss Rick

• Or
      3:33 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

Calipari’s B!tch.

hahahahaha

• T. Bone Burpnet
      7:29 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

Or 15 seconds of Porcini’s Table FERTILITY Dancin’ Polka her honnas dirty leg lover, wait until after the KENTUCKY loss game to dismiss Shame Behannan, wait until after the NCAA tourney loss to Kentucky to announce WARE’s transfer, media manipulatin’ program spinnin’ WHORE.

5. Confident
    11:22 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

If you feel so strongly about your statement and want the kudos then why not give your name? I promise if I was as confident as you sound I would want people to know who I was. I hope your right but I’m calling B.S on your horses mouth “source”

• Madisonville Martha
      2:15 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

He’s right, and everyone close to the program knows it. Mark it down. Even freaking Maggart knows this one.

6. Ty e
    11:22 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

Hey Matt your good buddy glen McDonald from MHS says to tell you hello

7. SoCal Will
    11:25 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

“It is not true that people stop pursuing their dreams because they grow old, they grow old because they stop pursuing their dreams.”
    GGM

8. Not a joke
    11:26 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

If somehow my comment blew up on here and they knew I ruined their day they might not like me to much any more..but, good news to come my friend

• ukbb
      9:26 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

DJ and AP insights?

• Megan
      11:01 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

That’s sooo weak.

9. I'm a UK fan and love to read
    11:37 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

I absolutely love and wholeheartedly recommend ‘One Hundred Years of Solitude’! It is such an interesting and different kind of novel with extremely rich storytelling and exquisite detail. Love love love!!

10. Haha
    11:38 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

Matt jones is baffled right now

11. Miss Nomer
    11:42 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

Love, love, love GGM — magical!

12. Cris
    11:43 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

Who thinks if we get the twins back that will make UK preseason #1? I do. I so hope they come back.

• Ty e
      11:51 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

If we get the twins and poythress back and someone has the balls to rank us somewhere other than #1 then ….well idk what then but they would be an Ty

• Bledsoe's Biceps
      8:18 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

Did this past season not teach a lesson? The preseason and early season rankings don’t mean squat. It’s how you finish the season that matters. I could care less if they are ranked #1, until late in the year.

• backwordsben
      8:36 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

Exactly, really hope we are not ranked preseason #1 regardless of who we get back. Cal can do more if he can use the “everybody is against you” approach.

13. afidler
    11:52 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

“Marquez is considered one of top handful of novelists of the 20th century”

WAT.

14. hal
    12:01 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

sbnation ranked all ncaa tourney games from this year. spoiler: we may have some in top 10.

15. Can't Stop Dbutt
    12:06 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░█░░░░█░░░░░░█░░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░██░░██░░░░░░██░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░█████░░░░░░░░██░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░░░█░░░░░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

16. RandyB
    12:11 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

When Matt praises an author who led a “full life mixed in the worlds of literature and POLITICS”,
    you have to wonder. So I looked up Senor Marquez. And, as I suspected, he was anti-American leftist friend of Fidel Castro who spoke out on “U.S. imperialism.” He was branded a “subversive” and denied a visa by the U.S. Government. This, of course, was lifted when the Democrat Clinton Regime came to power. Matt is very adept of subtley injecting his politics into the KSR narative while strenuously objecting when people point it out. I wonder if I will agaiin be asked/required to moderate my post to have it iincluded? Well see.

• Julio
      12:12 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

NO ONE CARES. SHUT THE HELL UP.

• Dos Equis
      12:17 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

RandyB, I want to say something before this whole thing gets out of control. In 1949, in the hot desert sun, a woman gave birth to a boy in the back of old pick up. She was a wh ore. She left the boy at a local church. The priest at the church didn’t like children, but he knew that being a disciple of the bible he couldn’t possibly not take the small kid. Instead he ended up taking out his frustration on the boy. At the age of three, the boy was forced to use the toilet. Let me tell you, the little boy fell into his own pile of poop more than once. By the age of 5, the boy was reading the bible and chopping wood for the fire. Despite the priest’s harsh character, the boy loved him and thought of him as his true father. By the age of seven the priest had molested him three times. The boy ran away. He survived four days in the desert by eating cactus and scorpions. He was finally found by a drug cartel boss, who took the boy in. Mr. Sanchez was his name, and he was immediately impressed by the boys intelligence and grown up attitude. Mr. Sanchez provided the boy with an education at a private prep school and a nice house. The boy had sex for the first time when he was 12, the next year he graduated high school. He was the school’s star running back. The boy was lost, although he liked Mr. Sanchez, he never thought of him as his father. The boy went to India, were he became a spiritual leader of a large tribe of farmers. With his power he turned the several plots that each tribe member had into a large corporate farm and became a millionaire. His assets grew as he bought into other successful start ups. He often got ahead in business with his great leadership abilities, but once in a while he used violence. This was India after all. By the time he was 22, the boy had all the money he would ever need. So he bought a yacht and traveled the world for 10 years. For 10 years he visited every major port, slept with girls from every country imaginable, and tried every drug ever made (by nature and by man). When he was 33, he was walking on a beach in French Guiana when he met a girl of Irish – Native American decent. She bared his seed. It was a boy, perfect health. He moved them to Argentina, then London, and eventually Vermont. The man was 45 now, he had seen everything, accomplished everything, tried everything. He skied down the Swiss Alps, been at the North Pole, swam with hammerheads, everything! Yet he has never done one simple thing that we all take for granted every day, which was to meet his true father. He never played catch with his father, he never talked about women with his father. He never would. He died at the age of 63 when his parachute didn’t open when he was base jumping from Dagger Mountain in Washington, USA. Over three thousand people attended his funeral.

Now RandyB, I know what you are thinking. How does this story relate to me? Well I want you to go all the way back to the beginning of the story and remember the woman who gave birth to this incredible boy. Your mother is like this woman. Your mother is like this women because she is a whore.

• Gracie
      12:22 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

It must be nice to live in such a simple black and white world. For some of us things — and people — are complex. And it actually is possible to appreciate someone’s literary genius while not agreeing completely with their politics. Alas, if only you had a a genius maybe I could appreciate it.

• Yankee Doodle candle
      12:55 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

If Randy’s mom is a whore because he loves America …. We are all whores of this terrible culture.

• sharp as a marble
      9:37 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

RandyB, I have been to Colombia, as well as several other S American countries, many times. The great majority of people live in poverty. There is a small elite class of 1% and about 10-15% are middle class. The rest are poor. It is no wonder that Socialism is alive and well when the masses are without opportunity and the people at the top have no desire to share the wealth. The current president of Colombia is a conservative capitalist. He said yesterday that Garcia- Marquez was the greatest Colombian in history.

• Jurich has sold his soul
      9:43 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

RandyB there is a famous quote which goes,”Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.” You may want to keep that in mind before you post again!

17. Luther
    12:37 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

Here’s hoping the twins return. Would be 2/5ths of a possilbe juggernaut. Would immediately give credibility to next year’s team and allow the Freshmen to develop as normal Freshmen should…

• Madisonville Martha
      2:20 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

Do you really want them back? Seriously? I will always support them and root for them, even if they transfer to Louisville, but I saw nothing this year to suggest to me that they really were anywhere near the best point guard and shooting guard in the class.
      Let’s face it: Cal missed with those two, as the NBA scouts have repeatedly pointed out. It’s time to admit it and move on with our midget wonder Ulis and see what he can do. I’m liking what I see from him a lot more than I ever liked what I saw from the twins at any level.

• CATandMONKEY
      2:55 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

Martha knows nothing about the sport of basketball.
      So you wouldn’t want to return two guys who averaged in the mid-teens in points…as FRESHMEN? Were they up to our ridiculous expectations? Using the criteria that some of you do, Mashburn would have been run out of Lex after his freshman year.
      The internet has ruined reality for some people.

• Of Course
      3:26 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

Madison Martha is a mega-troll. All “she” forgot in her post was “Siva is better than Wall.”

What a loser.

• Rich Shirtenlieb
      7:40 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

MM, iron my shirt, make me a sandwich, and please, write for us an expose on comparative Tamponage and Mini-Paddage; in other words, expound on what you may actually know.

• UKBlue1!
      9:08 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

MM, UL sucks!

18. kentuckyjoe
    5:09 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

GGM may be a great story teller but there is just no way he can approach the level of sophistication and nuance of Dos Equis above. I was moved to tears by his wonderful story.

19. bleedblueky
    7:20 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

Morning Matt – This link is from Taiwanese Newpaper and they gave Mr Marque a lot love & praise (wish you could read 🙂

20. T. Bone Burpnet
    7:35 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

GGM, like Bill Self, sports a fashionable hair piece.

21. GodNotGovernment
    7:47 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

Well, well, well — what a surprise, Matt Jones. Is it any wonder we see you openly praising an avowed socialist like Gabriel Garcia Marquez, who befriended communists like Castro and Chavez, and called for the downfall of capitalism? Something has got to change this country — in my day, people would have been rightfully ashamed of themselves for liking the smut that people like Marquez wrote.

• Motor City Cat
      8:20 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

Why do I get the not-so-subtle feeling there is a lot of great literature out there that you consider smut?

22. Issel's two front teeth
    8:15 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

Hahahahaha! Espn guy just said “just like Duke in the NCAA tourney, Parker is one and done”!

23. Dave
    8:15 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

So Matt, did we all miss Julius’s annnouncement declaring for the NBA Draft? See following:

24. TD
    8:17 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

Since Matt Jones is KSR, he can put whatever he wants on here. Especially this time of year when sports news is at a low ebb. Preferably, I would like it to stay on course and remain true to what the name “KSR” implies. Just sayin’.
    It goes without saying that the return of the brothers Harrison would be much more important than Julius staying another year. What is lacking on next year’s roster isn’t 3, 4 & 5 position players.
    Sorry to see Young leaving for the pros. Best of luck James!

25. Jack
    8:29 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

Thanks for the head’s-up on the Gabriel Garcia Marquez books. On your recommendation I cannot wait to read them Tks.!!

26. rick
    8:58 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

Sorry Matt but you know nothing about basketball. You never have liked James Young, you always were on him, he shot to much, can’t defend, can’t pass. He was a excellent shooter the only problem was the twins would not get him the ball, he played the best player on the other team nearly every game which is going to make you look like your defense is not good. JAMES YOUNG was the best player on the team and could have easily averaged 18 points if only the twins had not been so shoot first, keep the ball away from James as much as possible.

• OhioCat
      10:59 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

I’m pretty sure you just proved Matt’s argument against Young.

For much of the season, he shot too much…waaayyyy too much. Just look at the numbers. Once the tourney started, his FG attempts per game decreased…not coincidentally, the team’s overall offensive flow improved dramatically which led to a string of W’s. Better shot attempts = better offense.

Aside from the line asinine post from Chad Ford to the contrary, Young is an awful passer. Most of his poor passes were the result of sloppy mechanics….lazy, one handed passes and leaving his feet with no idea what he planned to do. Typical mistakes by a young player. These things can be corrected with work, He’ll probably never have the great vision of a PG because that’s something you’re born with. Court vision is a moot subject with Young because he’s a scorer…not a distributor of the ball.

On the defensive end, Young’s on the ball defense was atrocious. He was repeatedly beaten off the dribble all season long. One area that could be a strength is using his length to get steals in the passing lanes. Cal has said his defensive philosophy is to play good solid defense one the ball and not worry about getting steals. If Young has the reins taken off him so he could overplay the passing lanes more, his steals per game could really go up. His length could be nightmares for opponents.

All this said, I would have loved to have had the NCAA-tourney Young back for a 2nd season. I think he really could’ve developed into an All-American in a 2nd season.

27. NCCA Scrooge
    9:48 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

What a free country we live in! Coaches who make millions can’t even set up a scholarship fund for children of players from their programs. Fairness principles have gone over the ledge in this society. Sheesh!!!!!

28. Teachable Mo'
    10:35 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

Americans have our own magical realist. Charles Portis. Many of you have seen and some of you have read “True Grit”, but that’s not even the best. Two of Portis’s novels are stranger than you can imagine: Norwood and Dog of the South. For some reason, probably because they’re funnier than anything you’ve ever touched before, Portis is considered a niche writer. A clown. As if clowning at the highest level imaginable isn’t art. Masters of Atlantis is also strange, but it’s not quite as accessible as True Grit, Norwood, and Dog of the South. Save it for last. (Gringos his last novel shows evidence of a sad decline. It reads as if it had been tinkered with for 20 years and then abandoned on a publisher”s front stoop.)

29. Megan
    11:06 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

Only now do we find out that James Young didn’t want to be in school any longer than necessary.

Jeez, Matt, how long you been keeping that information from us? Were you hiding it to protect his reputation, or is this one of those after-the-fact rationalizations?

Tell us, is there anyone else on the team who doesn’t want to be in school?