Future Cats Asking Current Players to Stay

ulis-booker

The UK backcourt of the future

John Calipari told the media today an interesting anecdote that tells volumes about the players coming into UK next season. He said that the incoming Freshman have been calling the current players asking them to stay. Calipari used it as an example of their “team first” attitude and while he didn’t specify which players were making the calls, the fact that any are doing so says a lot.

This group coming in is very different than any we have seen at Kentucky. They aren’t the freak athletes we often see, but they are all very skilled and great team players. With Tyler Ulis telling KSTV that he hopes Andrew Harrison returns, Karl Towns saying the same about Willie Cauley-Stein and Trey Lyles hoping that he can play with Alex Poythress, we have the potential to see something special in Lexington next season.

Article written by Matt Jones

88 Comments for Future Cats Asking Current Players to Stay

1. Fatguyinalittlecoat
    9:35 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

Somehow I feel bad for Marcus Lee. Hope he doesn’t get lost in the shuffle

• pr
      10:09 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

Why you feel bad for marcus lee? Why would he get lost in the shuffle?? He’ll get playing time. Chill out..

• Madisonville Martha
      2:29 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

Sure, he will. He has only three really good seven-footers in front of him, including the two he didn’t get playing time from this year.
      You are a complete goober. I worry the same as Fat Guy because I LOVE me some Marcus “Pogo” Lee. The good news is that Karl Towns is better than both Willie and Dakari. The bad news is that he’s also better than Marcus. Adding him to the team will NOT increase Marcus’ playing time.

• See Blue
      3:42 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

Having all that size “in front” of Marcus will make it easier to plug him into the 4 slot so he will get his time. Alex will most likely play the 3-4 roles if he returns. The good thing about a big, athletic team like this if all decide to return (with the exception of Randle who is more than likely gone) is that you can go extremely big and pound the ball down low. At any rate, if these guys do come back, it is a scary thought of just how good this team could be next season. Go Cats!!!

2. Shawn
    9:38 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

Ulis, and Booker know that If the Twins dont come back, they have zero competition In practice next year and that seriously hinders their ability to get better. They know the best scenario for them Is to learn from and backup the Twins for a year then take over. If they have to start from day 1 It will be a hard learning curve for them and a tough year. Karl Towns could probably be the best big man In the country next year with just coaching from Cal. Kid Is the real deal and the most underrated player this year. He should have been ranked #1 overall.

10:03 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

Don’t be surprised if Booker starts at the 3

• colonelcat
      10:17 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

I would be surprised. If AP comes back that is his spot.

• Chris in TN
      10:21 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

I love Towns and think he’s the Dominican Dirk Nowitzki but he’s not going to be better than Okafor next year. Okafor is smoother and showed at the Jordan game that he has the lateral quickness to switch out on guards on screens and also showed his offensive game is unguardable in the post. Towns might be 2nd or 3rd but Okafor is the real deal at number 1

10:35 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

AP is a tweener. He should be a 3, but he has the game of a 4. It was supposed to be his spot coming into this season too, and Young started because he could stretch the court. Maybe having Towns will change things a bit. We’ll se.

10:36 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

*e

• colonelcat
      10:45 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

Agreed. We don’t really have a definitive 3 man on the roster and I think AP fits the mold better than the rest. Booker is a little undersized at 6’4″~ and Harrison is a natural 2, both will still get minutes there. Lyles might be able to play some 3 also, but I think his natural position is a 4. Who knows though, we’ll see how it shakes out.

10:49 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

He’s listed as 6’5 and with our size at the 4-5 you can be 6’5 at the 3. My thoughts are if Towns starts at the 5, AP may start at the 3. If WCS starts at the 5, Booker starts at the 3. Just my opinion. I think Lyles is our starting 4 over everybody.

10:52 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

It’s really a can’t lose regardless of who starts. If the twins return there are so many mix and match lineups. It will be awesome.

• Madisonville Martha
      2:33 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

Booker will start at the 2. Alex should also start (whether at the 3 or the 4), as we are so much better when he is in the game. By mid season Ulis will be starting, and Andrew will be coming on in relief. Cal has taken both twins about as far as they can go, and we’ve seen what that is.

• raccoon
      2:53 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

Haha nice try troll. Shave your line beard and take a drink of Crown, Harrison’s are going to make next year tough for you kid.

• Sportsfan
      6:15 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

Shawn your and stupid, have you seen The number 1 rated player play???? I say not to say towns is better! Your just saying that because your a UK, grow up!

3. dakari stoops
    9:42 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

LETS GO CATS!!!!

4. 2mites
    9:44 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

I feel something special is coming next year. If the Harrison twins return and everyone else stays there is a chance that next year could be another one like 2011-12. Not counting on Randle as he is sure gone but with Alex, WCS, Lee and all the support from the incoming freshmen look out for the CATS!

• Luther
      10:35 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

Right on!!

5. Jones
    9:45 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

40-0

• pr
      10:11 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

Stop it!!!!

• Rixter
      10:14 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

Don’t be scared. If everybody come back other that JR and JY, we have last year’s projected 40 = 0 team with E X PE R I E N C E. Say it with me: 40…………..and ………………… 0

• John W
      10:34 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

Just stop

• Rixter
      2:07 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

I also enjoy a good “D” in my “B”.

6. John wall
    9:46 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

I have the weirdest boner right now

• blake
      10:34 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

Funny…

• Joe Dan Gorman
      1:23 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

That’s the funniest thing I have unexpectedly read in quite some time… LOL

7. Todd
    9:52 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

Please dont start the 40-0 talks. I smell a troll.. Having said that, if the Harrisons and Poythress return I will book my Final Four tickets the next day. Go Big Blue!!

• Madisonville Martha
      2:35 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

And I’m praying the twins go pro so we can actually start winning again.

• raccoon
      2:57 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

MM using the same name reveals you as either UL troll or just stupid.

8. Rixter
    9:59 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

Karl Towns hopes Willie Cauley returns? I hope Obama gets elected to a second term

• Andy
      10:46 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

FYI he was elected a 2nd term. What cave are you hiding in?

• Issel's two front teeth
      11:02 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

He meant 2nd team, all Washington DC!

9. Jatt Mones
    10:02 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

Liberally speaking…..40-0. Stone Cold Killaz!

10. Sam
    10:08 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

I don’t see how it works, and I always was pretty good with math. Cal plays a 7 or 8 man rotation. That’s a fact. The four coming in are under-rated, as is Marcus Lee. And I suspect Willis is also much better than folks realize. I am waiting for someone to explain how it works out with Cal playing a 7 or 8 man rotation. Maybe he can tweak it somehow and make it work. Just sayin,…

• pr
      10:13 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

Cal doesn’t have to play a 7 or 8 man rotation. He can actually play two teams.

• Sam
      10:17 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

What he can do and what he does (and has always done), is two different things.

• colonelcat
      10:23 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

He’s never had a team that deep either. Cal’s a pretty smart man, I think he adjust it to 8 or 9 without much of a hitch.

• Chris in TN
      10:26 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

Cal has never had the depth to play big rotations. In the post, we ran a four man rotation, and on the wings and at point, Polson and Hood just weren’t quite good enough defensively to get into a lot of games. If the Twins and Alex come back, we’re a legit 2 deep or more at every position. The best 2 at each will get minutes just like when WCS went down, Lee filled in at number 2.

• colonelcat
      10:36 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

PG Harrison — Ulis, Hawkins
      SG Harrison — Booker
      SF Poythress — Willis
      PF Towns — Lyles
      C WCS — Lee/Johnson*

*I don’t think Johnson will be back next year, imo.

6 thru 9: Ulis, Booker, Lyles, Lee. Those would be the nine rotation players. If Dakari comes back we have 10.

10:41 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

Just because Willis may be listed as a potential SF doesn’t mean he’ll be second on the depth chart. I also think Lyles will start at the 4. It will be down to WCS or Towns at the 5. It could be similar to this season where WCS comes off the bench but plays about the same amount of minutes as the starter.

• colonelcat
      11:13 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

Right, I was just laying it out for organization. My thinking for Towns at 4 at WCS at 5 was to spread the floor with Towns on the perimeter and WCS roaming the paint for lobs. I guess who starts doesn’t really matter. All I know is lineups are going to be really fun next year. So much versatility…

11. Ace
    10:13 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

We need Dakari to come back.

• Chris in TN
      10:30 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

We don’t need anyone in the post. If anything, Willie coming back just made it a crowded situation. We need the twins and Poythress because they can play out of the post, the twins more so than Alex. Dakari coming back makes a great 3 deep C position a great 4 deep C position but Cal has shown he only plays 2 so with a backup already, it’s a waste.

• Madisonville Martha
      2:42 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

If there’s anything we don’t need coming back, it’s the twins. Here’s the rotation by mid-season. Mark it down:

Ulis – Harrison/Hawkins
      Booker — Harrison
      Poythress — Willis
      Lyles — Lee/Poythress
      Towns — WCS/Johnson

I’m just not seeing either Dakari or Willie able to hold Towns back.Lyles is way better than the attention he is getting right now.

• UKBlue1!
      8:10 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

MM=Troll

12. Rixter
    10:16 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

13. Rixter
    10:16 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

and

14. Rixter
    10:17 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

15. blueaville
    10:18 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

dare i say it……………………………fordeeeee and ohhhhhhhh

• Rixter
      10:25 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

SHHHHH.. it’s a secret

16. Rixter
    10:19 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

Don’t say it, I’m afraid. It might jinx us.

17. Blake
    10:21 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

just think about practice if the twins come back. They can run Aaron andrew poythress Dakari Cauley Stein Vs Ulis/Hawkins Booker Willis Lee and Towns Along with Lyles. Man thats a championship team right there.

10:39 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

Lyles is going to start. Wait and see. Towns might too.

18. Rixter
    10:27 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

That actually could be two championship teams. At least a ‘ship and a runner up.

19. catman
    10:28 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

stop rixter, you are an idiot. no one is going undefeated anymore!

20. Daniel
    10:29 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

If we are lucky enough to get the Harrison Twins back, I see us cutting down the nets next year. We will be incredibly deep at every position execept SF, and I see us matching up very well with virtually every team in the nation because of that. We will have athleticism, (WCS, Poythress , Willis, Lee) brute strength with Hopefully Dakari, Twins, and Poythress. Also, this team will be incredibly skilled @ every position with at least one thing. If you go through individually player by player, we will undoubtably have the deepest/most complete team come April.

• KentuckyJoe
      10:49 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

What if Parker comes back to Duke, do they concern you?

10:53 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

He declared. Still wouldn’t be worried about them.

• Madisonville Martha
      2:46 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

Didn’t they get Okafor? Their class is ranked ahead of ours. They may be better without Parker. Main thing is that with Booker and even Towns, we have the outside threats we did not have this year with just James Young and the twins missing so many shots.

21. Corey
    10:30 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

This 40 and 0 crap has got to stop. I’m a UK fan thru and thru, but let’s face it….The fan base has unreasonable expectations! I’m sure the players have enough pressure from wearing the blue and white. Let’s just take this one thing at a time with who’s coming back next year, and the freshmen coming in next year as well. Big Blue will be loaded next year, and hopefully they will make a repeat return to the big game and bring that 9th title back to the bluegrass….Come on guys, who’s with me?

22. All I read is...

█           ▄█▄           █
    ▀█         █▀ ▀█         █▀
     ▀█▄      █▀   ▀█       ▄█▀
       ▀█▄▄▄█▀      ▀█▄ ▄▄█▀

23. Tennessee Wildcat
    10:32 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

The twins need to come back, as they simply aren’t good enough yet to get drafted high enough. It wouldn’t even surprise me if James Young is not drafted until the 14-16 range, which would still be in the lottery, but close. Our team will be really good next year, but lets not coronate them champs yet.

• Draft express
      10:36 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

Wouldn’t surprise me either since draft express lists him at 15.

24. Catfninks
    10:33 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

I question Matt’s definition of athlete. Shouldn’t a very skilled player be considered a great athlete? Always bugs me about the way he uses that word.

• Marc
      11:25 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

I question your knowledge of sports and athletics in general.

25. catman
    10:34 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

In order for poythress to play the 3 spot he needs to learn how to dribble more than once before he passes or shoots. I love him because he is a great kid but cant handle the ball at all. He acts like he is scared to handle it because Cal told him he is a finisher not a playmaker.

26. Cats!
    10:36 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

What a joke! KSR asks the new players if they want to them to stay? How the hell else would they answer that question on the record? No way coukd they say, ‘you know I want them to leave, so I can start.’ Now, if they really are making PRIVATE phone calls then that’s different.

10:44 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

Where did you read that??

• Reading is Fundamental
      10:53 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

KSR didn’t say that.

• KSTV
      11:01 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

You two are ass-clowns. Sorry, I said KSR. It was actually KSTV. Real big blanking difference.

• What a joke!
      11:14 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

You don’t know how to read. Coach Cal himself said that the incoming freshmen are calling the current UK players telling them to stay. KSR is simply reporting that.

11:42 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

Come on here whining like a bitch. Ur initial reaction is to complain before thinking. Douche

27. CATSCATSCATS
    10:36 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

I think it’s safe to say that, for us fans, this will be the longest offseason of all time regardless of who stays and who goes. I predict that this upcoming Big Blue Madness will be the best of all time.

• Madisonville Martha
      2:51 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

I will be there, but I have mixed emotions about hanging a banner that says, “First Loser”, which is what second place is. I’m getting my tent ready right now.

28. bbn4life
    10:40 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

If the twins come back, this team has the talent to go 40-0. Doesnt matter if people think its dumb to say that or a jinx. They have the talent. With the exception of Florida, they were in every game they lost this year. It will ‘ve a huge challenge for coach cal to put the pieces of the puzzle together but 40-0 is not impossible….its just very very difficult.

29. KentuckyJoe
    10:46 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

Lets see, WCS, Dakari, Lee, Lyles, Towns, Poy, not even counting Willis that is a loaded front court, how to keep them all happy with playing time, really looks tuff, I dont see how you cant start Lyles, Towns will compete for a starting spot, that doesnt leave much left for guys like Lee and Willis, even WCS will not get much if Dakari comes back. Hate to lose some, but when will they play? Booker and Ulis will get plenty of time and are long term commits,so not problem there, even with the twins returning for the championship!

• WCS, Poythress, Towns, and Lee
      11:18 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

Lyles will not start.

11:45 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

I think he will. He can rebound and play inside out. He’s also a solid free throw shooter. He’ll be a top 10 pick the following season

• Jamari
      4:51 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

Every one must of forgot about EJ Floreal #highschoolprospect #redshirted #truekentuckyfan

30. NaaRezCat
    10:56 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

My comment to the Harrisons . . . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ml9VKbsoQU

31. catman
    11:05 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

Booker is not that good enough to start at the 3 spot, come on guys.. stop the 40-0 shit!. we dont know anything about how the new freshman will COMPETE. IT TOOK THE WHOLE YEAR FOR THIS YEARS GROUP TO FIGURE OUT WHAT IT TAKES TO TRULY COMPETE IN COLLEGE WHICH IS A MUCH MORE TALENTED CLASS THAN THIS YEARS CLASS.

11:47 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

Screaming doesn’t prove your point. A lot of people thought Young would come off the bench before last season. If we see a lot of zone he could start

32. AndrewH
    11:21 pm April 17, 2014 Permalink

Lets say this is the team

Alex Poythress
    Willie Cauley Stein
    Aaron Harrison
    Andrew Harrison
    Dakari Johnson
    Marcus Lee
    Dominique Hawkins
    Derek willis
    Devin Booker
    Tyler Ulis
    Karl Towns
    Trey Lyles

I think one of the big guys transfers that is a lot of big guys would like to see one of the 4’s play some three like Derek Willis or Alex Poythress. Kind of too many big guys.

33. bluemanchew
    4:11 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

Troll. The twins beat your team twice last year. Too bad they only get to beat you once next year. Cause we will be too high of a seed and the ncaa won’t put it on pitino again.

34. Jamari
    4:46 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

You all must of forgot about EJ Floreal #TrueKentuckyFan

35. Sportsfan
    6:12 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

THIS IS A BUNCH OF CRAP… I DONT BELIEVE ONE BIT THESE PLAYERS CALLED ANYONE. YOU FAN ARE IDIOTS…. U ALL BELIEVE EVERYTHING

36. BigBear
    10:39 am April 18, 2014 Permalink

If the Harrisons come back the best ticket in town will be the practices. Competition makes you better and I think the Harrison – Ulis competition would make both immensely better. If all stayed healthy, Cal could platoon and really run and press. I think this would make the kids happier with playing time, generate more offense, keep players involved, and eliminate those sluggish starts. All this hinges on the Harrisons returning.