Friday’s Top 10: State, UCLA, Bowl chatter, and a big UK Hoops win

The Kentucky High School Football State Championships start today in Bowling Green, and on Sunday, my Danville Admirals will take on Christian Academy Centurions from Louisville in the Class 2A Game. Danville’s got a storied football history — 10 state titles over three classifications — but this is the Ads’ first championship game appearance in ten years, and if they win, their first title in thirteen. In his third year as head coach, Clay Clevenger has restored the Danville program to its former glory, and my Admiral pride is nearing its high school levels, which is saying something. My freshmen, junior, and senior years, Danville went to State, and my friends and I were on the sidelines at the old Cardinal Stadium cheering them on. Junior year we made some people blush:

img_2913

Go Ads.

1. The rest of the State Championship schedule for this weekend

Class 1A, Beechwood vs. Hazard, Friday, 12/2, 7:00 p.m. CT
Class 3A, Central vs. Belfry, Saturday, 12/3, 5:00 p.m. CT
Class 6A, Trinity (Louisville) vs. Lafayette, Saturday, 12/3, 8:00 p.m. CT
Class 2A, Christian Academy-Louisville vs. Danville, Sunday, 12/4, 12:30 p.m. CT
Class 4A, Franklin-Simpson vs. Johnson Central, Sunday, 12/4, 3:45 p.m. CT
Class 5A, Bowling Green vs. Pulaski County, Sunday, 12/4, 7:00 p.m. CT

For more info on State, check out part one of Eli Mitchell’s preview from last night. If you can’t make it to Bowling Green, games will also stream live on prepspin.com.

2. The UCLA game is tomorrow

…Which means today will be mostly game prep around these parts, with a little bowl chatter and Louisville trolling sprinkled in for good measure. The line for the game hasn’t been released yet, but I’d imagine it’ll open somewhere around 12 points. We’ll find out later today.

3. John Calipari and select players will address the media after lunch

Check the site around 2:30 p.m. for a live stream and after that for a full recap of Calipari’s remarks. If you missed it yesterday, Calipari bought each player a bottle of hand sanitizer because people have been getting sick, so hopefully “people” means people around campus and not our beloved Wildcats.

4. Shai Alexander balled out on national TV last night

The future Cat had 20 points and almost 10 assists in Hamilton Height’s 72-64 win over Memphis East. Alexander has been a bit of a mystery, so last night was a good opportunity to get to know him, and I like what I see from his highlights, particularly in terms of speed and control:

Plenty more where that came from in Nick’s recap from last night, so click here to get to know one of your future point guards. Alexander plays in the Marshall County Hoop Fest tonight.

5. The TaxSlayer Bowl still appears to be Kentucky’s destination

Larry Vaught went as far to call it a “done deal” last night on Twitter, so do yourself a favor and start looking for tickets and hotel rooms in Jacksonville. We’ll officially know Sunday night, and, of course, we’ll still bring you all the chatter from the interwebs until then.

6. UK Hoops put a hurtin’ on #12 Oklahoma

Matthew Mitchell’s squad looked really, really good in their win over the #12 Sooners last night at Memorial Coliseum, winning 82-68. Makayla Epps had 30 points, her fourth 30-point game of her career, followed by Maci Morris, who had a career-high 19 points and eight rebounds. Some highlights:

UK signee Quade Green was watching:

The ladies play at Louisville on Sunday. Speaking of the Cards, their coach Jeff Walz had a bit of a meltdown in his press conference last night:

Who’s angrier about participation trophies: Walz or the KSR comments section?

7. The Volleyball team opens NCAA Tournament play tonight

Good luck to the UK Volleyball team as they take on Colorado State tonight at 8 p.m. in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. Tonight’s game takes place in Alaska Airlines Arena at University of Washington, and the winner will face either Washington or Texas A&M Corpus-Christi in the second round Saturday night.

8. If you need me, I’ll be watching Tiger

Yesterday, Tiger Woods played his first round of competitive golf in 466 days at the Hero World Challenge in the Bahamas, and looked pretty good considering. Tiger had three birdies before making the turn, but faltered a bit in the home stretch, double-bogeying two of the last three holes to finish tied for 17th at 1 over. Now, it’s only an 18-man field, but still, it was good to see some flashes of the old Tiger. He tees off today at 11:12 a.m. You can watch on the Golf Channel or follow via @GCTigerTracker on Twitter, a must-follow if you’re a Tiger fan.

9. Don’t forget to check out the new episode of The OTT Podcast

Jacob Tamme joined me this week to break down UK’s big win over Louisville and talk all things Danville. He also told us what he’s doing to fill the time as he recovers from season-ending shoulder surgery (spoiler: Everybody, including Jacob, loves Raymond). Come for Jacob’s awesome interview and stay for the music stylings of The Wooks, the bluegrass band that repped KSR while they sang the national anthem before the Austin Peay game.

10. Welcome back, Bobby!

@gmoyers

@gmoyers

I’ll leave you with this picture of Makayla Epps embracing Bobby Flynn, who was back on the sidelines in Memorial last night. Bobby — who’s worked UK games, Lexington Legends games, Keeneland, and everywhere in between for decades — suffered a hard fall back in January, making his return to UK sports last night very, very heartwarming.

KSR’s live from Kennedy’s in Lexington this morning. You’ve still got time to get down there and register for the chance to win tickets to the UCLA game. So, get going!

35 Comments for Friday’s Top 10: State, UCLA, Bowl chatter, and a big UK Hoops win

1. ColdCat
    9:18 am December 2, 2016 Permalink

You failed to mention in your love of Tiger, that UK’s own JB Holmes is the day one leader at -8 while Tiger finished next to last. Just putting it out there.

• lexingtonjoe
      9:33 am December 2, 2016 Permalink

There are 18 guys playing…who cares?

• ColdCat
      10:17 am December 2, 2016 Permalink

You cared enough to comment. So I guess two of us care.

2. Sentient Third Eye
    9:27 am December 2, 2016 Permalink

I know that this is perceived nationally as a down year for UK hoops because of all the changes, but, dang, this is the most fun UK women’s team to watch in several years. Probably since Coach Mitchell’s first several seasons.

3. Sea Bass
    9:28 am December 2, 2016 Permalink

That video of UL’s coach is the best thing to come out of that school in quite a while. Same reasoning behind Millennials (a group of which I’m a member) crying and protesting a free and fair democratic election simply because they didn’t get their way. Build the wall and make UCLA pay for it.

• lexingtonjoe
      9:34 am December 2, 2016 Permalink

Be careful TT gets upset talking about the election

• UK Big Board Update
      10:04 am December 2, 2016 Permalink

WWII vets complain about Vietnam and Iraq war vets being ‘soft’, too.

Save it. Its a stupid argument.

Newsflash: people protested after Obama’s two elections, too.

• really
      10:07 am December 2, 2016 Permalink

Sea Bass, I couldn’t agree more. I was standing in a sporting goods store yesterday and a lady came in to pick up participation ribbons. After she left I asked the guy if they sold a lot of those. He said “That’s our best seller because everybody gets one.”
      All I could do was laugh.

• UK Big Board Update
      10:12 am December 2, 2016 Permalink

really – I saw that joke on Facebook, too.

• Callinstraight
      10:28 am December 2, 2016 Permalink

You are spot on correct Sea Bass.

• Sea Bass
      10:32 am December 2, 2016 Permalink

I have never once heard a veteran of our United States military ever criticize another member simply because they fought in a different battle or war. I believe you missed the point. It’s not an “argument” but an observation. The people that were protesting for weeks over the result of an election (they have the time to do that since they don’t have obligations like work and school) are members of the same group of people that advocate for participation trophies and handouts; that is a matter of fact. God bless and go Cats.

• UK Big Board Update
      10:40 am December 2, 2016 Permalink

Just because you write “fact”, doesn’t make it one.

• Sea Bass
      10:52 am December 2, 2016 Permalink

This is why I don’t typically comment on this website. If you believe that a large portion of those Millennials (and older liberals) protesting the result of a democratic election do not support the theory behind participation trophies, that being that everyone should get something just because they want it, then I suggest you read The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heilein. You’ll quickly learn TANSTAAFL.

• dcgirl
      11:09 am December 2, 2016 Permalink

Stop it. I am so tired of people bitching about the “protesters”. First off, it’s America — this country was built on protest. Secondly, most of those marching were not whining about the process — they were marching against all the stuff Trump stands for — anti-LGBQT, white nationalism, the vilification of immigrants, misogyny.. you know, that stuff.

• really
      11:15 am December 2, 2016 Permalink

UK Big Board Update I Don’t have facebook so I’m not sure what your are taking about,
      Otherwise great insight.

• Sea Bass
      11:48 am December 2, 2016 Permalink

Well dcgirl you have interestingly enough spun my initial comment, which consisted of a joke and my adoration for the UL coach’s insight regarding the theory behind participation trophies, into me being critical of Americans’ First Amendment rights, which could not be further from the truth. Participation trophies: something for nothing. The only way someone can think that they can receive something for nothing, is if they have previously gotten something, for nothing. By believing they can get something (healthcare, welfare, college tuition etc. (AHA THINGS THAT THOSE PROTESTORS ADVOCATE FOR)) for nothing or “free,” they just fail to see the societal cost, it does not mean that it is not present. Someone is paying to produce these benefits, just like someone else is working to get the first place trophy rather than the participation one. But hey, maybe Hillary or Bernie can get elected in 2020 and you can sit back, relax, comment on message boards and we’ll all pay for you to do it through our hard work and tax dollars.

• J-Dub421
      1:15 pm December 2, 2016 Permalink

Sea Bass stop whining about welfare, when this state is one of the biggest welfare recipients in the entire country. Things like roads and schools cost money. A lot of people complaining about “people wanting things for free” went to public schools. I guarantee that whatever taxes your parents paid into the educational system did not remotely come close to covering the actual cost of your education. A better educated populace benefits our entire society as a whole.

• UK Big Board Update
      1:27 pm December 2, 2016 Permalink

Its ironic, actually. Sounds to me like Waltz is crying because he didn’t get HIS way… Maryland’s players won. Aren’t they the “entitled Millenials” too?

We get it; the generation before mine thinks they’re smarter/wiser/worked harder than everyone succeeding them – the same way the generation before you thought the same.

My great grandmother who was born in 1903, for instance, thought “children were to be seen, and not heard”. Were you able to speak at the dinner table as a child?

• Sea Bass
      2:40 pm December 2, 2016 Permalink

I agree a more educated citizenry is beneficial JDub. If you’re so invested in the education of our populace you must be a HUGE supporter of school choice right? Me too. Let’s subject public schools to open competition and allow parents & students to decide where they are going to go to school. A child’s neighborhood shouldn’t restrict them from getting the best education possible. Quickly, parents would begin sending their kids to the best schools available, coincidentally, the ones with all the conservative kids in it & liberal indoctrination would end in a half of a generation. Instead of using our pubic education tax funds to send a kid to Shawnee or Bryan Station, give that child a chance to go to KCD, Trinity, LCA, Male, or Manual by giving “Choice of School Vouchers” if the can’t afford the tuition, the same thing Indiana does. This better education would give the child a better opportunity for success later in life & likely a higher chance of attending college, should they choose to take out a loan to pay for it themselves like the rest of us. Similar to education, I think most of us can agree better kept lawns are more beneficial to society as well… Why don’t you come over and mow mine while I watch the Cats beat UCLA Saturday and drink sweet tea. Have a great week.

• J-Dub421
      4:08 pm December 2, 2016 Permalink

No, school choice vouchers have already been proven not to work. They attempted that crap in Detroit and it was a massive failure. You want more choice, pay for private schools. I went to private schools. The high school I attended currently costs $10,000.00 per year. Do you have $40,000.00 to pay for your kids high school education? Not to mention, the best schools are already at capacity, all that would do is overcrowd schools.

• J-Dub421
      4:13 pm December 2, 2016 Permalink

Also, no well kept lawns have zero benefit to society. They may be more pleasing to the eye, but are not remotely beneficial, that is a false equivalency.

4. OptimisticCat
    9:36 am December 2, 2016 Permalink

Booked my room in Jacksonville Monday. Let’s Go BBN, Pack EverBank!

5. BigBlueAces
    9:36 am December 2, 2016 Permalink

Those highlights are NOT at the Hoopfest. That isn’t Marshall County’s floor, not to mention Hamilton Heights doesn’t play in that until today (Friday).

6. Laker Cat 18
    9:39 am December 2, 2016 Permalink

I don’t think the high school championship games will be streamed live for free. KHSAA is making you pay for streaming.

7. CatFan26
    9:47 am December 2, 2016 Permalink

I came across tickets to the game tomorrow and get to go to my first UK game in forever. Anyone have any good parking suggestions?

8. az1006
    9:48 am December 2, 2016 Permalink

Alexander may have had a good game, but it certainly wasn’t at Marshall County. They don’t play at the Hoop Fest until today.

9. FlySoup
    10:01 am December 2, 2016 Permalink

Has anybody listened to her podcast?

10. Doug68
    10:53 am December 2, 2016 Permalink

Did Louisville lose in yet another sport? UofL womens coach is mad. So mad.

11. fauxbobknight
    12:16 pm December 2, 2016 Permalink

Almost 10 assists lol

12. UK Big Bored Update
    1:27 pm December 2, 2016 Permalink

I agree with Jeff Walz – to an extent. When I was a kid, in rec ball (baseball, basketball, etc.), there were no participations trophies. Winners got the big trophy, second place got the smaller one. All Stars got one; no one else. I always wondered why swimmers got ribbons for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, & 6th place. They still do that today, as well.

13. columbusohcat
    2:33 pm December 2, 2016 Permalink

Planning the trip to the taxslayer bowl and trying to decide where we want to stay to be able to enjoy New Years in Jacksonville as well (3 guys 25-29years old) anyone have any recommendations??

14. JStaff21
    4:59 pm December 2, 2016 Permalink

Former Danville Admiral here as well. I didn’t realize you went to DHS when I did. Your picture from the state game has my cousin Rebecca in it. Small world huh?