The Sixth Man’s Friday News and Views

1374718_371934612909347_441552615_n

On Thursday night, I finally got around to watching “The Sixth Man,” a very thoughtful Christmas present from my family. Honestly, it was probably the best thing I’ve done all week.

The documentary is awesome, and features a lot of Kentucky’s celebrity fans, like Josh Hopkins, Backstreet Boys Brian Littrell and Kevin Richardson, Steve Zahn, and Josh Hutcherson from “The Hunger Games.” One of Josh’s stories really hit home with me. He talked about his uncle, who would convince himself that every UK loss wasn’t their fault. I think we can all relate to that on some level. Another memorable moment was an interview with a UK fan who camped out for over 8 hours just to get inside the Superdome in New Orleans, never surrendering her positive attitude about the Cats. Or, most touching, the part about our friend Reese Kemp, a 16-year-old with cystic fibrosis who says his relationship with the UK players helped keep his spirits high when times got unfathomably rough.

It’s easy to get bogged down by the little stuff. Three losses from a team that was supposed to be invincible; superstar freshman who have balked instead of embracing the spotlight; the angry cesspool that can be the KSR comments section. I’d like to thank “The Sixth Man” for reminding me what it’s all about. With hours to go before the Louisville game, I’d say it’s mandatory viewing.

Now that the dust has cleared a bit, let’s move on to the news and views.

It’s almost here

Maybe it’s the uncertainty about what’s going to happen on Saturday, or maybe it’s just fear, but after watching the site all day, I really only feel like fans are just now getting excited about the game. Has there ever been a UK/UofL game with as unpredictable an outcome as the one? Both teams come in with uncertainty: UK with three losses on three big stages; Louisville losing the only big game on their schedule thus far. Both teams lost to North Carolina, Kentucky by five and Louisville by nine. Louisville’s weak schedule is no surprise, but this is UK’s last chance to get a quality non-conference win, which means…

Kentucky needs this more than Louisville

Has there been a Louisville game in the Calipari era that the Cats have needed more? It seems absurd now, but UK needs this win for their tournament resume. Our three losses have been three major whiffs for quality non-conference wins. A win over Louisville would help UK’s chances to get at least a three seed tremendously, and that’s probably being conservative given the volatile nature of college basketball this year. Because of the weak SEC, the Cats won’t even have that many chances to prove themselves in conference play. We have learned the dangers of heaping expectations on such a young squad, but Saturday’s game will have repercussions.

There are people camping out to be on the front row of the eRupption Zone

Photo by @ChrisRose48

Photo by @ChrisRose48

Thanks to Chris Rose, who sent in this picture of a mini tent city outside Rupp Arena Thursday night, where fans are camped out to get in to the front row of the eRupption Zone Saturday. Keep in mind, they already have tickets, and they technically don’t let you start lining up to get in the eRupption Zone until 5 a.m. Saturday morning.

Which matchup will matter most?

Who’s the X-factor on Saturday? My money’s on Julius Randle or James Young. So far this season, Randle has shied away from the big stage, save a half against Michigan State. I think Randle can handle Montrezl Harrell, and the most intriguing matchup may be between James Young and Wayne Blackshear. Blackshear has scored in double digits in four straight games for the first time in his career, connecting on 10-of-21 three-pointers in those last four games. Meanwhile, Young is coming off an abnormally quiet game after three in double figures. We’ve seen the impact Young can have on this group when he’s hitting his shot. He’s infectious. Will he be able to overpower Blackshear at the 3 to spark a big game for the Cats? If not, Poythress could be a valuable substitute.

Likewise, Aaron Harrison’s budding leadership will truly be tested against Russ Smith, whom Cardinal fans keep reminding us has a good history in Rupp Arena:

Screen Shot 2013-12-26 at 3.31.16 PM

A few housekeeping notes…

The podcasts are still down

Unfortunately, Santa did not take down the terrorists who have hacked the podcasts. Without the audio files, I wasn’t able to make you guys a YouTube video either, so tonight, pray to little baby Jesus for a solution. If he doesn’t come up with one, make sure you’re near the radio/computer from 10-noon on Friday.

KSR will be live at Bearno’s in Jeffersonville, Indiana in the morning

If you’ve always wanted to come to a KSR remote and never have, this is your chance. The annual KSR remote at Bearno’s Pizza, right across the river from Louisville (700 W Riverside Drive), always draws a big crowd and plenty of characters, and Matt and Ryan will be there with plenty of prizes, including tickets to the premiere of Red v. Blue, the documentary about the UK/Louisville rivalry at the Lexington Opera House Friday night:

Head on over to say hello and get ready for Louisville in the most ridiculous manner possible.

See you then and Go Cats.

30 Comments for The Sixth Man’s Friday News and Views

1. Buckets
    11:11 pm December 26, 2013 Permalink

If someone doesn’t fix the podcasts soon, I’m going to lose my freakin’ mind. I mean how hard is it? I work nights so I can’t listen to the show in the morning. Bah humbug

2. Smurf destroyer 3000
    11:14 pm December 26, 2013 Permalink

It’s going to feel good watching the best quarterback to ever play in the state of KY throw for 5 TD’s in a bowl game after watching the best guard to ever put on a UofL jersey drop 40 in Russ arena. It’s great to be a CARDS fan.. UofL 85 UK 73

And the CARDS repeat…..BOOM!!

• Buckets
      11:19 pm December 26, 2013 Permalink

If all is so great, why waste time trolling KSR? Oh, that’s right, because you’re a loser with no life. BOOM!!

• BBN Dave Grohl
      12:13 am December 27, 2013 Permalink

Best guard in U of L History? Come on man. It’s not enough that you have to troll a Kentucky fansite and showcase CardNation’s insatiable thirst for Big Brother’s attention, you have to make stupid ass comments like Russ Smith is the best guard to ever put on a U of L jersey, and Teddy Bridgewater is the best quarterback to ever play in the state of Kentucky. I hate Louisville with everything I have but even I know the best guard to ever play for Louisville is Butch Beard who played for Louisville in the late 60s, then was an NBA all-star in the 70s. Bridgewater isn’t even close to the best to ever play in the state… You ever hear of Johnny Unitas? He’s in the Hall of Fame. There’s not a lot of history to know about Louisville to remember so there’s no excuse for not knowing at least those two names. Lay off the Crown and learn what little there is to know about the history of your teams.
      Oh and Russ Arena? It’s named after a man who went to 6 Final Fours and won 4 National Championships. Won 876 games. Russ Smith doesn’t even compare to that. Oh, but that’s ok, because if something happened before a Louisville fan was born, it didn’t happen. Almost forgot about that.

• Wild Blue
      6:59 am December 27, 2013 Permalink

Typical Card County mentality.

• Dejuan Wheat
      7:28 am December 27, 2013 Permalink

I’m the greatest guard in Louisville History…

• Milt Wagner & Lancaster Gordon
      7:50 am December 27, 2013 Permalink

What about us?

• JohnnyRed
      8:20 am December 27, 2013 Permalink

Card Fan here. I love Russ, but I would say there are more than a few guards that were better than him. Some guy with the last name “Griffith” comes to mind. And while Unitas was a great pro, I do not think that he was a stand-out college player. Teddy is the best that UofL has had.

This game is going to be a great match up. The Cats’ are young and inexperienced, but their front court has the potential to dominate against Louisville, UofL’s guards are outstanding and fast. If playing in the Yum! Center, I would pick the Cards – but since the game is at Rupp – flip a coin.

3. Matt Jones
    11:32 pm December 26, 2013 Permalink

I keep hearing great things about 6th Man…I need to see it

4. UK fan
    12:02 am December 27, 2013 Permalink

We really, really, need this win. Lets be honest, they’re fresh off a championship and we got bounced in the NIT. One bad season every now and then isn’t bad, but two years in a row is just unacceptable. This is probably the 7th or 8th biggest game of this calendar year for cards fans, and this is THE most important game for us since the championship game in 2012.

• Hal
      12:58 am December 27, 2013 Permalink

troll. so. hard.
      should give better effeort next time….

5. Ambivilence
    12:06 am December 27, 2013 Permalink

I don’t have any faith in any of these guys to step up. That’s the problem we face right now. I don’t even have faith in them giving 100%. So many games are decided on hussle. Getting loose balls, hitting offensive boards hard for putbacks, helping your teammate when he gets beat. The things that don’t even take talent. Just effort and will to win. This team doesn’t get it and this coaching staff hasn’t made them belief it.

6. Jeremy
    12:21 am December 27, 2013 Permalink

Calling Rupp “Russ” Arena speaks volumes of the intelligence of Louisville and their brain dead fans.

Russ has never beat Kentucky at Rupp, as in never ever ever. Most UL fans are homeless or in prison because their intelligence level is so low they can not hold a job nor contribute to society as a whole.

• BBN Dave Grohl
      12:28 am December 27, 2013 Permalink

Truth ^^

7. 90% of UL fans in Louisville live in the projects and leech off the government
    12:29 am December 27, 2013 Permalink

Big ears russ bout to be 0-2 against UK in “Russ Arena”

UK 80

Lewisville Community College 68

8. Hal
    1:08 am December 27, 2013 Permalink

we’re not winning with another 4-17 or 3-14 game from 3PT. perimeter players gotta hit some shots and play decent defense.
    our post players have typically had success in this game so hopefully willie/randle combine for 40+ pts

9. The Undertaker
    1:11 am December 27, 2013 Permalink

PODCAST !?!?! i really need my fix Matt Jones or im putting you n a tombstone piledriver…. 🙁

10. JC
    1:31 am December 27, 2013 Permalink

Do not see Red vs Blue. The leading people on the project are Louisville sympathizers. Waste of time and funding. Producers have been going on UofL stations talking about UofL for years. UK will not get a fair shake on this deal. Boycott Red vs Blue.

11. buffetta1a.
    1:34 am December 27, 2013 Permalink

PODCAST!!!! You’re forcing me to listen to other programs. Well, I guess if you don’t care-why should I?

12. Elephant_in_the_Room
    2:09 am December 27, 2013 Permalink

Gonna keep losing listeners if you don’t get your podcasts together.

13. RYAN STIGALL
    2:28 am December 27, 2013 Permalink

WHERE THERE IS A WILL, THERE IS A WAY. THERE IS A SOLUTION. LOTS OF DIFFERENT WAYS TO RECORD A PODCAST. WE CAN’T LET THE TERRORIST WIN. LOL

14. the truth
    2:55 am December 27, 2013 Permalink

Matt jones please pay some one to fix the podcast . It doesnt have to be on clear channel , but for goodness sake plz have the podcast fixed soon.

15. Dumb Louisville Fan
    8:22 am December 27, 2013 Permalink

I agree wit dat Selch guy…..we bout to bring our line beards, crown royal, flat bills and pit bulls to Russ arena. I copped my ticket wit my baby mommas welfare check, you heard me? Guess I gots to leave my gat in my Caprice.

16. CATandMONKEY
    8:26 am December 27, 2013 Permalink

PLEASE, with the podcasts!

Perhaps you could release the “Lost Podcast Series”…unedited during breaks…as one double-album package.

17. Lonnieb
    8:29 am December 27, 2013 Permalink

Why are all the writers on here talking about this game like UL is better than UK. I don’t get it. Take care of ball and uk wins. I’ll take our roster over theirs all day long. All I have read on this site all week is what UK needs to do to win. Less than 15 turnovers and uk wins. Russ smith will be the only matchup where I think UL has an advantage. Our bigs are much better. Sorry it’s just been frustrating reading all the bs all week. UK at rupp vs anybody the question should be what does X team need to do to beat UK at rupp. UL may win but they will have to shoot lights out from 3 to do so.

We have had a few losses and we act like we are not a good team. Look we have lost some games and struggled down the stretch but we have lost to 3 top 25 teams away from home by like 12 points. Stand by the team or root for someone else

• Stu Katz
      8:47 am December 27, 2013 Permalink

I agree with you and love the Cats and will root for them until I die. But,they have not shown me much this year and I have concerns that they will be able to handle UL’s pressure. I want the Cats to win, by antway possible, but you have to be honest, even Cal says that they are not a good team. Are yousaying that you don’t agree with Cal?

• lonnieb
      9:46 am December 27, 2013 Permalink

The roster is loaded with talent. the team will either figure “it” out or they wont…..but I would not trade teams with UL. I am not being disrespectful as I feel UL is a legit top 7 or so team. I still think we have plenty of room/time to grow. Player for player there is not a better roster out there. Will they come together and figure it out who knows…..And I agree they are probably not a great “team” right now, but the pieces are all there. And yes I feel like we are a good top 25 team right now. We are not the best or the number 1 team but that is just fans who have lost perspective. When teams are top 25 they are always considered “good” teams right? Cal has just spoiled us….him saying that is just coach speak to protect/challenge his players. Its not like we are just getting dominated against the better teams……The only game I thought we would lose 3/4 of the way into it was MSU and quite frankly when it was all said and done we had the rock with a chance to take the lead with 3 mins left. The fans need to pump their breaks. We have the team we have they will come together or they wont…..however I like the pieces for them to compete in march. If the twins keep improving and james young learns what a good shot is and never ever tries to feed the post…EVER…..we will be fine

18. johnc
    8:44 am December 27, 2013 Permalink

why doesnt big shot matt jones get the guy who “fixed” his buddy obama’s healthcare web site to fix the pod cast debacle

19. UK>UofL
    10:31 am December 27, 2013 Permalink

Well it’s not called Russ Arena because he has ever won a game there, that’s for sure!

• Honest
      2:17 pm December 27, 2013 Permalink

UK<UofL…. not entirely correct… he has not beaten UK at Rupp Arena… but he did have a very nice showing last year in two tournament games.