Frank Martin had really kind things to say about Rupp Arena

Frank Martin may be the most intimidating head coach in college basketball, but he’s widely regarded as a good guy and John Calipari considers him a good friend. So it shouldn’t come as a surprise that Martin was quick to compliment the Rupp Arena experience in his postgame comments immediately following a big loss.

Martin said, “It’s always great to coach basketball in this building, just great fans. The folks that work in the arena, as soon as you walk in the building, they greet you. It’s just a tremendous atmosphere. The fans root for their team and they root for basketball to be played the right way. It’s always a pleasure to come out here.”

“Unfortunately, we continue to struggle with physicality,” Martin added, explaining what went wrong in the ball game. “As the game got physical, we didn’t answer the bell.”

Article written by Drew Franklin

11 Comments for Frank Martin had really kind things to say about Rupp Arena

1. michaelb
    9:27 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

I really like coach Martin and his approach & philosophy of the game . He knows how to find these tuff guys with high motors . Sometimes they come out flat and play terrible but sometimes they can play up to beat just about anyone in the NCAA, an odd thing is his team – year in & year out its that way with his teams . They started out slow but have a good sec record – that kinda shows you that they can rally up sometimes . I hope this guy has more success coaching soon . I’m glad to have him coaching in our league , he’s one of the best people

• magimae
      9:43 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

well said, nothing but respect for Coach Martin

• CATandMONKEY
      9:52 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

Agreed.
      Love his fire.

Martin is my second favorite coach.

• codeblue270
      11:27 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

Coach Martin is the one coach I like just as much as coach Cal – he is straight forward, no punches, tell it like it is with his players, competitive hard Nose teaching – respect! Go Cats

• KayutsBy90
      9:42 am February 6, 2019 Permalink

I hope USC keeps him around through these struggling seasons. He seems like one of the few guys that genuinely is there for the betterment of the kids regardless of results

2. JTHinton
    9:29 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

Martin always takes heat for his intense demeanor, but he is one of my favorite coaches in all of college basketball because of the class and respect he conveys. His humble upbringings play a role in this. Not sure why he takes so much heat so often…

3. Luether
    9:38 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

The Cocks had the desire but not the talent to compete with the Cats tonight…

4. zoupman
    10:42 pm February 5, 2019 Permalink

Love Coach Cal. Nice Win

5. BigBlueSkyDog
    4:50 am February 6, 2019 Permalink

Frank Martin is a refreshing departure from typical coachspeak. If he says it, he means it. He’s a guy I could hang out with.

6. J. Did
    6:00 am February 6, 2019 Permalink

Is Frank Martin related to Doc Martin?

7. UKfanman01
    10:57 am February 6, 2019 Permalink

I like Frank as a coach. Wish him the best of luck