Chet White | UK Athletics

Photo by Chet White | UK Athletics

Photo by Chet White | UK Athletics

The NBA Combine starts Tuesday in Chicago, and for Hamidou Diallo, the feedback he receives will likely determine whether or not he stays in the draft or comes back to Kentucky. As we learned earlier this week, Diallo will participate in 5-on-5 drills, giving scouts from all 30 teams their first look at his game since he played in high school. Adam Zagoria had ESPN basketball analyst Fran Fraschilla on his 4 Quarters Podcast, and Fraschilla said he doesn’t think there’s any question that a team will draft Diallo in the first round.

“I would not be surprised myself if his combination of athleticism and skill opens some eyes, and then he’ll have a tough decision,” Fraschilla said. “Do you want to be the 25th pick in this year’s Draft, or do you want to have a chance to maybe be a top-10 pick after your freshman year? I don’t think there’s any question a team will take him in the first round, based on just his age, his size for a guard and that crazy combination of skill and athleticism.”

As of now, Draft Express still has Diallo going 36th, so the sixth pick in the second round, but all of the mocks will change drastically after next week’s combine. Until then, a hypothetical: Would you take a first round guarantee, like Fraschilla said, or risk coming back in hopes of becoming a top 10 pick?

[ZagsBlog]

32 Comments for Fran Fraschilla on Diallo: “I don’t think there’s any question a team will take him in the first round”

1. thomaswaynem
    12:05 pm May 5, 2017 Permalink

He gone. Are there any other transfers or players left out there that could be picked up?

2. Shagaris Sock Puppet
    12:09 pm May 5, 2017 Permalink

If he leaves he leaves, but it will kill me to wonder how this guy can make an NBA team in the first round and never touch the court here… Would have loved to see him play with this years team down the stretch!

3. a21CATSfan
    12:16 pm May 5, 2017 Permalink

I hate to say it, but the recent actions of a small portion of the BBN are going to hurt our chances with Diallo coming back. Which will in turn drastically hurt our chances with Bamba (Diallo’s best friend). Just hoping if Hami leaves that Knox will find enough room on the wing here, or if he stays in the ACC, maybe we can get Cam Johnson. Landing/keeping 0-1 of these guys would be devastating. Let’s just hope Twitter fingers don’t effect our next recruiting class as well.

• KyCats8x
      12:53 pm May 5, 2017 Permalink

This…sad but true

• catsarerunnin
      1:00 pm May 5, 2017 Permalink

Oh my I didn’t realize us fans had such power. Thanks for sharing.

• Mc12
      2:37 pm May 5, 2017 Permalink

I hope he doesn’t read his social media or message boards in the NBA. He’ll be asking for a trade every day.

4. ukfan4388
    12:41 pm May 5, 2017 Permalink

Don’t forget. A top 10 salary is $2 million. A top 5 is $3 million. Number 1 pick, almost $5 million. If he goes below 25, it could be less than 1 million. From what I am hearing, next years draft will be weaker than this year. Hopefully, he does the math.

• Mathlete
      12:59 pm May 5, 2017 Permalink

Plus next year’s draft is on the new rookie pay scale… If he thinks there’s any chance something goes sideways in the next year, take the money and run but if he’s confident he’ll be a top 10 guy next year he would make a TON more money than he will this year.

• pancakesfordinner
      1:44 pm May 5, 2017 Permalink

You realize they don’t start making real money until their second deal right? Jimmy butler was the 30th pick, Gilbert arenas was the 31st, and Manu Ginobili was the 28th pick of the second round. All of them had huge contracts, butler will probably have 2 more.

The only risk of falling late is, going to a team where you can’t get playing time to showcase your skills. Then again Tracy McGrady hardly played his first 2 years and he turned out alright.

• Mathlete
      2:43 pm May 5, 2017 Permalink

Not saying this is Diallo’s path, but take a look at just the Kentucky guys who made almost all of their money in their rookie deals in the last few years and either won’t be signing big contracts or have washed out altogether – Orton, Jorts, Liggins, Miller, Lamb, Teague, Young, Dakari… I’d say get the guaranteed money and work for the bigger deal after, but nothing’s certain except death and taxes.

5. TheReallyFakeTimTebow
    1:13 pm May 5, 2017 Permalink

First two year rookie salary for being 25th is $2.171 mil, nothing to snub at; but the first two year salary for being the tenth pick is $4.377 mil, even if you take out his missed earning of $1.061 mil as the 25th pick for coming back to school, he still makes $1.143 mil more overall in those two years by improving his pick status. He could even possibly be picked higher next year, and we all know he could possibly fall out of the first round this year regardless of any draft projections. He stands to make more financial gains by coming back, if they really believe he can vault himself into next year’s lottery.

• AllBlueAllDay
      1:21 pm May 5, 2017 Permalink

A wise grown up would see it this way, but I’m not sure an 18z19 year old kid will think with the same logic. I really hope I’m wrong because I would love to see this kid in the blue and white next year.

• AllBlueAllDay
      1:22 pm May 5, 2017 Permalink

18-19

6. Realme
    1:31 pm May 5, 2017 Permalink

If I was him, I’d worry about being the guy that all the analysts say will go high, but starts to drop and ends up looking sad for the tv cameras. There’s always one, and being mysterious could hurt.

7. Wow, thanks for a headlne that literally almost made me do a spit take while eating lunch. Oh well. I’m not holding out any hope that he’ll be back.

8. BigBlueSean
    2:06 pm May 5, 2017 Permalink

Ok people heres the big thing I see everyone missing.

1) Diallo’s measurements are going to do wonders for him. 6’6 SG with a 7’1inch vertical and a near 40 inch vertical. You just dont find that every day. His shooting is a ? mark. However you can say that about 90% of the people who enter the draft.

2) After the lottery you are dealing with playoff teams with picks. The goal of these teams is to take a chance and risk. This is why you see many foreign players taken here. Diallo fits that bill as high risk high reward. Kings took that risk with Skal….Seems to be paying off

3) The average lottery pick is guaranteed about 12 million over 3 years. A late 1st rounder is guaranteed about 6ish. Most players coming out of UK get that 2nd contract which is where your money is made. Enes Kanter a backup got a 2nd contract for 78 million. If Diallo is able to get that 2nd contract, which I think he easily will for anywhere near 78 million, I doubt he is going to be worried about the 4-6 million he missed out on with his 1st contract. Its worth the risk to go to the NBA.

4) It actually bodes well for Diallo to go late to a likely playoff team rather than early. You are talking about maybe going to Utah, San Antonio, Toronto, Portland, OKC. A place where they can be much more patient with his development. If you dont think going to the Spurs with Pop and Leonard to develop him over a team like the Suns, Philly, Orlando you arent being rational.

5) Right now you have guys like Kennard, Donovan Mitchell, and Wesley Iwundo at Diallos position projected where he could go. IF you dont think Diallo’s measurables and vastly higher upside is more enticing to teams picking in that range, again, you arent being rational.

• Mc12
      2:38 pm May 5, 2017 Permalink

Is the 7’1 inch his running vertical and 40 standing?

• BigBlueSean
      4:29 pm May 5, 2017 Permalink

I meant 7’1 inch wingspan

9. BigBlueSean
    2:12 pm May 5, 2017 Permalink

Also, even if he goes as the 30th pick. Thats a guaranteed 6 million almost over 3 years. Thats 6 million more dollars he gets than with UK with no time he has to devote to school and no limit to how many workouts and practices he can have.

Imagine you are go to college for computer programming. The head of EA comes to you after your first semester and says “you’re so gifted we want to offer you 6 million over 3 years, and if you do well in those 3 years we will develop a new contract that can pay up to 10x the amount of your original contract”. I dont care who you are, no one in their right mind would pass that up. No one.

10. dballrb
    2:23 pm May 5, 2017 Permalink

If feedback was slightly -,I would come back and come out in a weaker draft.But I don’t have that chance so it’s hard to fathom being in his situation. It seems more likely ‘to me’,that perhaps he didn’t want to risk injury by playing. Would love to have Hami the 2 and green at the 1,but the sun will still rise if he gone…

11. dballrb
    2:29 pm May 5, 2017 Permalink

I have no doubt that the small portion of fans with negative comments plays a role in their decision making,but after watching ‘One And Not Done’,if some recruits may shy away from the shouting that coach sometimes gets carried away with..

12. Mathlete
    2:51 pm May 5, 2017 Permalink

I hope he does whatever he thinks is best for him, he doesn’t owe us (the fans) or UK anything. As long as he’s held up his end of whatever deal he made with Cal it’s hard for me to criticize any decision he makes on staying or going.

Selfishly, I want him back next year and I want to watch Cal show Krchevysilverado how to coach a superteam of almost all freshmen to a title run; but it’s his life, his career, and he’s the one who’s put in god knows how many hours to achieve his goal of playing in the NBA.

• Mathlete
      2:52 pm May 5, 2017 Permalink

Secondary debate – if he leaves and never plays in a single game for UK, does that make him the greatest practice squad player in UK history or does Enes still hold that title?

13. kuhlkat
    3:31 pm May 5, 2017 Permalink

If his vertical is 7’1 he will be back.
    If that is his wing span…maybe not

• BigBlueSean
      4:30 pm May 5, 2017 Permalink

Its his wingspan.

14. 8xchamp
    5:04 pm May 5, 2017 Permalink

We’ll be fine either way, we have cal.

15. chris43
    9:49 pm May 5, 2017 Permalink

He’s gone and it was stupid not playing him this season. Another big athletic guard and who knows….maybe we beat NC and end up winning the title….