FoxSports: OSU loss “just a bump in the road”

ukohiostateheader

While many of us are still trying to rid the bad taste in our mouth from yesterday’s game, it’s helpful to get all of the outside perspective possible. Being one year removed from a team that nearly won every game on its schedule, losing to two mediocre schools before the end of December is a bit hard to digest.

Many have wondered whether this team will be reminiscent of the NIT group of 2012-13. However, Foxsports’ Reid Forgrave wants no part of that. In his 10 biggest takeaways from yesterday, he devoted some time to asserting his faith in UK:

But this team is not like that NIT team. I believe in John Calipari’s five-month process, and these players do, too. If anything, I think this team will be like the team from 2013-14, which had plenty of bumps on the road to March but then tore through the NCAA Tournament on the way to the national title game.

Clearly, the Cats will need to fix a lot of issues before any of us feels comfortable predicting tournament success. But, it is still December. I guess we should embrace that we have a normal group that is going to suffer some setbacks, but ultimately has a high ceiling.

Still, I wish the road were a little less bumpy.

Article written by Caleb Epley

Vanderbilt student, Kentucky fan. Skilled at using big words and telling bad jokes. Twitter: @CalebEpleyKSR

44 Comments for FoxSports: OSU loss “just a bump in the road”

1. The Frizz
    10:20 am December 20, 2015 Permalink

Who cares?! Who will be the new offensive coordinator??

2. catsarerunnin
    10:44 am December 20, 2015 Permalink

I’m hoping “bump in the road” but all I could think yesterday was this looks familiar (2013).

3. Take a Deep Breathe Please
    10:45 am December 20, 2015 Permalink

I keep thinking people will learn – like you’d think the taste of crow would get old after a while right? I mean 6 years is a long time… I keep hoping it’ll click with some people that all they need to do is sit back and watch, and that they frankly would all make horrible coaches – that goes for football too. How long until they just trust Cal to figure it out? He’s done it every damn year, barring extreme injury, and these people just won’t shut the hell up!

Look everybody, if you’ve given up on the team and Cal and any of the players, just don’t watch any more games. I don’t know why you’d feel the need to, you obviously already know how it’s all going to turn out, and how irrationally worked up you’re going to get about it. Jeez, we sure do have some b!tchy fans though.

• catsarerunnin
      10:56 am December 20, 2015 Permalink

Well…gee wiz….I’m really sorry for sounding poo pooish.

• Take a Deep Breathe Please
      10:58 am December 20, 2015 Permalink

Not so much you… the last recap thread from last night is full of crap though. I wanted to vent and figured they’d all come here eventually.

4. The Rest of the story
    11:06 am December 20, 2015 Permalink

I love the childish optimism of this post. Skal is gonna be the downfall of this team unless Cal puts his worthless butt on the pine. I know that will not happen since he is like a son to him and will start him regardless of the obvious. I really hope I am wrong but seen this before and the results was the worst loss in UK history.

• Kernel Sanders
      11:16 am December 20, 2015 Permalink

And here is the b!tchy fan mentioned above. What an ass. Being an 18 year old kid, foreign born, with hardly any experience at basketball at this level does not make Skal worthless. On the contrary, I would say any idiot that calls him that is the worthless one.

God, you are stupid. Where did you “see this before”? Sometime during the tenure of our coach that has taken us to multiple Final Fours? If you think that is the worst loss in UK history, then you are 10 years old and I forgive you. If you’re not 10, then please refer to sentence 1 in this paragraph…or maybe you need someone to read it to you.

• Take a Deep Breath Please
      11:57 am December 20, 2015 Permalink

Look man, I don’t know what you’ve gone through in your life to make you who you are today, but I have to ask, since when did “childish optimism” become a bad thing? The world would be a better place if we all had the optimistic outlook of a child.

• KTower
      1:24 pm December 20, 2015 Permalink

the rest of the story…..

This internet troll is a complete loser with no life. Why in the world would you slam a 18 year old on this thread? Because he doesn’t play as well as you think he should. Who died and made you King.

Grow up

• The Rest of the story
      2:34 pm December 20, 2015 Permalink

You guys must be Islamists. No ones opinion should be stated unless if conforms to yours. i bet you want to behead me too huh. Eleven games into the season and Skal has yet to be a key contributor but you guys get your wish and enjoy the forthcoming end to this season.

• UK Big Board Update
      4:58 pm December 20, 2015 Permalink

Pretty sure Calipari wasn’t the coach when we lost to Gardner-Webb at home…. Try to keep up.

5. Kevin C
    11:29 am December 20, 2015 Permalink

If Tai can manage to dribble and chew gum at the same time, it needs to get Skal’s minutes, and Skal needs to take time off to figure out what he wants, and/or where he wants to be. I’m assuming it’s too late to red shirt him…if not, Cal needs to do so IMMEDIATELY.

6. Game Changer
    11:37 am December 20, 2015 Permalink

I watched the game….I don’t think it is as bad a loss as everyone is making it out to be. UK was simply flat in the first half…. Ohio State was on fire… honestly I think if they shoot like that they can win against anyone. Having said that… we came back and we were one unlucky play away from winning this game. I think Calipari is a great coach, a great recruiter but like all of us he too can make a mistake. The biggest mistake of his tenure so far… Skal Labissiere. Nice kid but just does not have it…. Kinda like Jeb Bush… nice guy but just get bullied around by Trump. Lastly… .Please please please fire Stoops… that is what we need to really be worried about.

7. binarysolo
    11:55 am December 20, 2015 Permalink

The possessive form of FoxSports can be FoxSports’ or FoxSports’s, but it most definitely is not Foxsport’s. I’m pretty sure they teach you that down at Vandy.

8. FBI Informant
    12:26 pm December 20, 2015 Permalink

Ohio St shot 40% for the game. It’s probably time to stop pretending that they were on fire.
    They did shoot well in the first half, BUT, only had 37 points. That is hardly barnburning offense. They were mediocre. A great offensive team would have won yesterday by 25.
    If Louisville shoots 40% or God forbid they shoot 45% for the game it’s going to be a blowout, bc I assure you that they will turn Uk over more than OSU did, they’ll rebound better than OSU did, and they’ll defend better than OSU did.

• UK Big Board Update
      4:48 pm December 20, 2015 Permalink

Thanks, Louisville guy!! It certainly would be a program defining win for the Cardinals. ๐Ÿ™‚

• UK Big Board Update
      4:56 pm December 20, 2015 Permalink

Ya know, like Indiana…. Maybe you’ll put it on beer coozies?

9. bigblueforever
    1:00 pm December 20, 2015 Permalink

UK will beat UL by double digits.

10. poppycat
    1:49 pm December 20, 2015 Permalink

Why do you say it’s not so bad and then say they just came out flat. That’s the worst thing that can happen and should be prevented. No excuse for not being ready to play. Uk pays millions in salaries to prevent this. Someone needs to earn their salary.

11. Chris Burnam
    2:35 pm December 20, 2015 Permalink

Trouble i see with this team is they don’t do anything well. Poor defense,shooting, Free throws we are horrible. The Zone just kills all of Cal’s teams. I think this will be Cal’s 4th 10 loss season. 4 out of 7 years.

• Seven Ate Nine
      4:23 pm December 20, 2015 Permalink

Quit trying to be provocative. That’s an ignorant way of looking at things and you know it.

• UK Big Board Update
      4:49 pm December 20, 2015 Permalink

And four Final Fours and a Title in 6 years…. shut up troll.

12. Chris Burnam
    2:40 pm December 20, 2015 Permalink

Talent won’t cover up his coaching flaws this year just like 2013

13. Chris Burnam
    3:01 pm December 20, 2015 Permalink

Glad Alex has a degree because he obviously doesn’t have a NBA future.

• The Rest of the story
      3:28 pm December 20, 2015 Permalink

Pretty obvious huh. All the physical traits but no motor. Gotta like the guy but he is just so off and on. Cal has a hell of a job to do this year to get this team to the NCAAs.

14. RealCatsFan
    3:58 pm December 20, 2015 Permalink

OMG – are you people really Kentucky fans, or just Louisville trolls coming over here pretending to be UK fans? “The Rest of the Story” is pretty obvious – dude, you must stand in front of the mirror each morning to practice your bitching. You have it perfected, my friend. And seriously – comparing someone to Islamists because they call you out for your negativity? You have made your position about UK sports abundantly clear – there are probably 25000 posts on KSR saying essentially the same thing. Too bad they don’t have an “ignore” button on this site for folks to use.

I spent the majority of the first half bitching about our play myself, and I was pretty grumbly, but it took my 11 year old daughter to break me out of it. She said “Daddy, you were mad about UK basketball 2 years ago, and it turned out pretty good”. From the mouths of babes…

If some of us could be transported back to the Gillispie years and be told that we would be on a run of 4 out of 5 FF’s, a national championship, unmatched recruiting success, the eyes of the entire nation on us, and very little if any controversy (unlike our rivals down the road), I bet we would be begging for it. Let’s step back and try to enjoy some basketball during the holidays without such childish emotional attachment.

• UK Big Board Update
      4:55 pm December 20, 2015 Permalink

Nailed it, on all fronts.

Just one addition. ๐Ÿ˜‰

“If some of us could be transported back to the Gillispie years and be told that we would be on a run of 4 out of 5 FFโ€™s, a national championship, unmatched recruiting success, the eyes of the entire nation on us, and very little if any controversy (unlike our rivals down the road, which we have completely owned), I bet we would be begging for it.”

They “think” they are clever by following up posts with “I’m as big a UK fan as anyone”…. but its painfully obvious what their intentions are.

• KTower
      6:00 pm December 20, 2015 Permalink

The Rest of the Story is a bitter hater with nothing positive in his miserable life …

He will probably spend Christmas alone as a Scrooge with no friends or family.

In order to make himself feel better he spreads misery about Kentucky Basketball on KSR’s thread…

• kjd
      8:13 am December 21, 2015 Permalink

Yeah, I always enjoy watching basketball when we lose.
      Saturday was so much fun. Last time I had that much fun we lost to UCLA.
      I’m so excited with Christmas just a few days away, and then our next big game against our in-state rival. I can hardly wait to see how much fun I’m going to have watching that one.

• RealCatsFan
      8:19 am December 21, 2015 Permalink

Kjd, then do everone a favor and DON’T WATCH THE GAME! Do something useful instead that will make you feel good about yourself. Maybe go volunteer at a homeless shelter, that will put things in perspective for you. Oh wait – there might be Louisville fans there. ๐Ÿ™‚

15. Chris Burnam
    4:38 pm December 20, 2015 Permalink

Never seen so many fans that can’t accept the truth. It be ok to say good things about a bad team. I’m a UK fan. But when we suck we suck.Guess i should be saying this team will win NC after losing to a below average team like Ohio ST. THIS TEAM SUCKS and it don’t make me no less of a UK fan than anybody else.

• UK Big Board Update
      4:51 pm December 20, 2015 Permalink

“…and it do not make me no less of a UK fan..”

Wow. Beautifully written…

• Seven Ate Nine
      5:25 pm December 20, 2015 Permalink

Of course it’s okay to say negative things and be critical when criticism is deserved, which in this case, after that loss, it is. What’s not okay is giving up on the team, the coach, or any of the players. Broadly declaring THIS TEAM SUCKS is a weak minded and short sighted way of looking at this season.

• CATandMONKEY
      7:04 am December 21, 2015 Permalink

Actually, it does.

16. DennyC
    8:18 pm December 20, 2015 Permalink

Is this the year of the LOUISVILLE SWEEP? BASEBALL, FOOTBALL and now (gulp) BASKETBALL? This hasn’t happened since 2013 . . . When they won the NCAA Championship. the last team from this state to WIN IT ALL!

• UK Big Board Update
      9:32 pm December 20, 2015 Permalink

Coming to Big Brother for validation, huh? Typical.

And BTW, our girls demolished your #1 recruiting class you all were so proud of.

#WeWonItFirst

• theSkinny81
      9:41 pm December 20, 2015 Permalink

Spoken like the true Louisville fan you have claimed not to be….

• real True Blue Cat
      2:29 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

Yeah but you cheated. That loss and those banners will be vacated if there an ounce of integrity in the NCAA. Not sure there is but doesn’t change the fact that pitino’s couple years of success at UL were all the result of cheating. So, even if you would perhaps win this year, which is doubtful, is it really worth celebrating being 1 out of 8 against us?

17. Angelo
    12:33 am December 21, 2015 Permalink

Sad to say, but we only have one good aggressive big: Marcus Lee. And two great guards. I hope Cal can think of a way out of this mess…

18. Capurnicus
    7:54 am December 21, 2015 Permalink

All i can say is, Tai Wynyard please save us!! This is one of the worst defensive rebounding teams I’ve seen UK have.
    Overall this feels like the B Knight year.. Pretty good team that will take some bad losses and hopefully finish the season by putting things together.

• RealCatsFan
      8:22 am December 21, 2015 Permalink

I wish Cal would find Jorts 2.0. We have his doppelganger on the bench – play him.

19. StevieGotLoose
    8:32 am December 21, 2015 Permalink

Skal has to sit! Skal (1 for 7), Alex (2 for 4) & Briscoe (1 for 9) gave us 11 points. You are not going to win when 3 starters can’t score. What a shock, Alex disappeared again, so much for senior leadership. Our most consistent front court player is Lee. He hit 4 /5 FT, Alex made 1/3. Cal is hitching the wagon to some dead horses and we aren’t going any where. We don’t have enough scholarships for next, outside of Murray, this bunch of nags won’t be going to the NBA next year.

20. bigblueforever
    8:49 am December 21, 2015 Permalink

I trust Cal will get this figured out. He always does. I have been life long UK fan and the Cal years are the best it’s ever been or will be. So relax and enjoy. Sure, this team has a ways to go. Cal told us that would be the case. But we are still a top 10 team. Stop being such a spoiled prima donna fanbase. The talent is there. The schedule has been tough. Would you rather be pounding your chest over beating teams like those UL plays? It’s going to be OK. UK will beat UL by 10+.

• StevieGotLoose
      9:11 am December 21, 2015 Permalink

UCLA and Ohio State both had a 500 record, we are not a top 10 team. Take off your blue goggles that you bought from KSR and really look at this team, they are not good. It took a one man show to keep the final score from being a total embarrassment.