Fox & Monk make midseason top 30 for the Naismith Award

KSR-5821

Yesterday, De’Aaron Fox and Malik Monk were named to the John. R. Wooden Award Late Season List, and today, they made another big watch list: the midseason top 30 for the 2017 Naismith Men’s College Player of the Year. Fox and Monk are two of the eight total freshmen among the midseason 30 candidates, and two of the three representatives from the SEC along with South Carolina’s Sindarius Thornwell.

In addition to earning Naismith and Wooden Award honors, Fox and Monk are also among the candidates for the USBWA’s Oscar Robertson Player of the Year trophy and the Wayman Tisdale Award which recognizes the nation’s top freshman. Furthermore, Fox was tabbed to the Bob Cousy Award watch list and Monk to the Jerry West Award’s midseason list honoring the best point guard and shooting guard, respectively.

We’re all frustrated with Kentucky right now, but keep in mind that Fox and Monk are not only two of the best freshmen in the country, they’re making all of the player of the year lists as well.

9 Comments for Fox & Monk make midseason top 30 for the Naismith Award

1. secrick
    12:26 pm February 9, 2017 Permalink

Who you rather have Fox and Monk or Ulis and Booker? I would take Ulis and Booker.

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      12:46 pm February 9, 2017 Permalink

I would rather have Fox and Monk IF they figure the defense out. Ulis and Booker were more lovable but not more talented.

• catsarerunnin
      12:51 pm February 9, 2017 Permalink

I would have loved to have seen a lot more Ulis and Booker on the floor together in 15.

• maximumscott
      2:32 pm February 9, 2017 Permalink

Fox and Monk over Book and Ulis. Better athletes. They just having played with effort yet. Dont forget that Book was on a ridiculosly loaded team which made him more effective as a shooter. If Fox and Monk just play defense its game over with this comparison and any other backcourt in the country right now.

• smahurin
      2:45 pm February 9, 2017 Permalink

And for the record I loved that team, and those players, so that isn’t meant to be a knock on the 2015 team. It’s just a fact.

• ukbradstith
      3:04 pm February 9, 2017 Permalink

Are we talking about a freshman ulis and booker? If that’s the case, then monk and fox hands down.

2. WatchutalkinboutWillis
    12:33 pm February 9, 2017 Permalink

I am NOT against Cal recruiting one and dones. But this does say something for the state of college basketball currently. 8 out of 30 players are freshmen? That is a disproportionately high number…and you would expect there to be MORE seniors and juniors if college basketball had a healthy balance. I won’t lie it makes me a little sad.
    And before anyone starts…I know it is the NBA’s rule and I don’t blame Cal for recruiting one and dones and I DEFINITELY would have left college after one year to make millions or even hundreds of thousands of dollars.

• secrick
      1:01 pm February 9, 2017 Permalink

I agree with you . I would love to see these kids stick around for 3 to 4 years but like you i see why they don’t. You know Cal would love to have them for that long but does whats best for the player.

3. tmcclan16
    2:33 pm February 9, 2017 Permalink

how does a kid that refuses to rebound and play defense make the top 30? love the kid but not sure he really deserves that honor yet. I would take ullis and booker any day of the week. I am like you willis I would rather be talking about UK rather than weekly updates of where they are in the draft, saying goodbye and its only Feb, and rarely seeing a senior on senior day. But I guess that is the state of the game. Go Cats