Four Cats in The Athletic’s new NBA Draft Big Board

NBA draft expert Sam Vecenie of The Athletic fame released a new update of his NBA Draft Big Board 19 this morning, and in it, you will find four Kentucky Wildcats among the top 100 NBA prospects this summer.

I won’t spoil the whole board for you because Vecenie and his website require a small monthly payment to digest their stories, but I will tell you the four Wildcats are PJ Washington, Keldon Johnson, Tyler Herro and Ashton Hagans. Reid Travis did not make the cut.

Washington is the highest rated of the Wildcats; Vecenie has him slotted at No. 14, a potential lottery pick this summer. Johnson is next at No. 18, followed by Herro at No. 22. Hagans is outside the top 50.

For more on UK’s draft hopefuls and all of Vecenie’s thoughts on the draft, read his work right here on The Athletic. While you’re over there, check out some of the latest from Kyle Tucker on the Kentucky page. That crew is doing good stuff over there.

Article written by Drew Franklin

10 Comments for Four Cats in The Athletic’s new NBA Draft Big Board

1. UKCatAttack
    11:25 am April 4, 2019 Permalink

I’m not sure why The Athletic has to charge to read their stories. In 2019 you have to make your money off of advertising revenue. Readers won’t pay for a subscription because their is too much content available for free.

As far as the story goes I pretty much agree with where they have everyone projected. Herro and Hagans should return. Washington and Johnson should go.

• CatfaninCinci
      3:51 pm April 4, 2019 Permalink

I pay for it. Because it’s some of the best sports writing content on the planet. I once said the same as you, but then I bought a year on discount. And boy oh boy, the difference in quality is mind blowing!

2. VirginiaCat
    11:47 am April 4, 2019 Permalink

I would argue that all but Washington should stay, but that’s not going to happen. Johnson and Herro, at # 18 and #22, respectively, will want to make the jump and Cal will encourage them to do so. Players’ first and all that. That’s unfortunate because both could have been special next season.

• tncatrn
      11:54 am April 4, 2019 Permalink

I think u are right in that Washington is the only player that should go…I dont know that Cal will push Herro and Johnson out though i.e. Washingtons return this year. He was projected similarly last year. Will be interesting to see if Cal takes a different approach with the drop off in recruiting this time around…

3. spincr4hire
    11:51 am April 4, 2019 Permalink

So losing 5 guys minimum. Awesome

4. VirginiaCat
    12:09 pm April 4, 2019 Permalink

Good point, Tncatrn. If Cal makes an effort to keep everybody but Washington, it will signal a new approach. If not, it will be business as usual. I am hoping for the former.

5. Larkin123
    12:22 pm April 4, 2019 Permalink

I cringed when he said players first that first year he was here. I knew If the final fours slowed down, that would be an issue for some. However it does mean you will get more good players because you have their best interest in mind….

6. dctawk
    2:26 pm April 4, 2019 Permalink

Pushing them out is one thing. But the Legue is willing to gamble on them. Are they willing to gamble on a campus injury policy or learn at the next level? Arguments can be made all day, but if your kid is facing a table of papers with 6 or 7 figures on it…. You know how long it’ll take you or them to stack that kind of cash. Some decisions may just be TOO public. Though, they all subject themselves and their families to that scrutiny.

7. CatfaninCinci
    3:54 pm April 4, 2019 Permalink

Guys, if their in the first, they’re gone. The reason PJ stayed is he wasn’t guaranteed first round. You people who think Herro and Johnson will stay because PJ did are setting yourself up for disappointment l. They’re meeting PJs requirement from last year

• CatfaninCinci
      4:00 pm April 4, 2019 Permalink

If you’re projecting18 and 22, barring an an absolute disaster in combines you’re guaranteed first round.

Notice though, an interesting omission from the top 100? A certain UT declaration from yesterday. Vicente comments about the omission in the comments. It was intentional.