(NBAE via Getty Images)

(NBAE via Getty Images)

It was all fun and games on Ty Lawson’s Instagram account until his employer came calling.

After posting that “Chinese woman Got cakes on the low… might switch up my stance soon lol”, to his social media account, the former North Carolina point guard was banned from the Chinese Basketball Association and immediately released from his team, the Fujian Sturgeons, on Saturday, according to multiple sources. Fujian Sturgeons, who signed Lawson back in 2019, cited his “inappropriate comments” as the reason for severing ties.

The Sturgeons reportedly said that Lawson’s actions were a direct violation of the team’s “social responsibilities and core values”, according to ESPN.

“His inappropriate words are inconsistent with the social responsibilities and values abided by our club and have brought serious adverse social impacts to the club and the league. We will not sign him for the new season,” the team said in a statement, according to Xinhua.

While Lawson, who is now 32 years old, is not even close to being a shimmering role model (he has multiple DUI arrests on his record), this seems like a harsh punishment for partying too hard. He hasn’t played in the NBA since April of 2017 and has been overseas ever since. This isn’t the first time this year that Lawson has been in the news, either, as he recently called out his former college head coach Roy Williams through–you guessed it–Instagram after the latter was apparently bad-mouthing the former to NBA front offices.

But then again, maybe if Lawson wasn’t going around touting casual misogyny on his social media, he wouldn’t be in this situation in the first place.

Article written by Zack Geoghegan

Recruiting reporter for KSR. Follow me on Twitter: @ZGeogheganKSR

13 Comments for Former UNC guard Ty Lawson banned from Chinese team following “inappropriate comments”

1. dkcr96
    5:31 pm September 20, 2020 Permalink

Lebron

2. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    5:37 pm September 20, 2020 Permalink

Can someone tell me (while keeping it family friendly) what that even means? I can sort of guess from usage but there is probably a nuance or 2 I don’t know about.

• Brutal Hustler
      6:06 pm September 20, 2020 Permalink

Cakes=nice butts. His stance was probably no Asian women, but once he saw some “cakes” he’s considering changing his tune.

• bkeith75
      6:29 pm September 20, 2020 Permalink

Well done, Hustler!

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      6:43 pm September 20, 2020 Permalink

I figured it was something like that.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      6:45 pm September 20, 2020 Permalink

I guess Sir Mix A Lot isn’t big in China.

• runningunnin.454
      7:39 pm September 20, 2020 Permalink

Dayum, guess I’m old; I didn’t know what it meant either. Pretty sure it wasn’t English or Chinese.
      He’s probably lucky they didn’t run over him with a tank; aren’t we lucky we have liberty, and freedom of speech in this country (unless you offend the politically correct crowd).

• Megan
      11:46 am September 21, 2020 Permalink

I was thinking LL Cool J’s “Big Ole Butt” from 1989. Back then, the big ole butts LL chased in the video were almost petite by today’s Iggy-Minaj-Kardashian standards. Speaking of cakes, here’s another classic:

Big Bottom
      Big Bottom
      Talk about bum cakes
      My gal’s got ’em.
      Big bottom
      Drive me out of my mind.
      How can I leave this behind?

3. mashman 93
    5:57 pm September 20, 2020 Permalink

What a shame the poor guy has to stay out of China forever, isn’t that a good thing?

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      6:00 pm September 20, 2020 Permalink

He could play in the Phiilipines as long as he doesn’t insult Manny Pacquiao.

• mashman 93
      6:29 pm September 20, 2020 Permalink

lmao

4. BigBluSoTru
    6:35 pm September 20, 2020 Permalink

Guess he didn’t realize china dont take to kind to AA’ people on the low .Made a comenet about a chinese lady that was a slap in the face to them coming from a AA man.

5. Dustin Rumbaugh
    12:01 pm September 21, 2020 Permalink

His comment could be translated to “I wasn’t ever really attracted to Asian women but now that I’ve been here awhile….I might have an attraction to asian women.” On its face, its a compliment. Its only derogatory because he chose to phrase it the way he did. We live in a world where phrasing and usage of words is very important because people are just salivating to be offended. Not taking up for the guy, especially because he’s a dirty tarheel, but I feel like this is an overreaction to what could have been an innocent compliment….but phrasing and usage of words kids…take note.