Former UK player Charles Hurt passes away

It’s with a heavy heart that we pass along the news that former Kentucky player Charles Hurt has died after a long battle with leukemia. Hurt, a native of Shelby County, played at UK from 1979-1983, scoring 786 points, grabbing 496 rebounds, and dishing out 104 assists in 124 games. He was drafted 134th overall in the sixth round of the 1983 NBA Draft by Milwaukee. In 1987, he gave up his basketball career to join the Army, serving in Germany, Kuwait, Korea, and Saudi Arabia before returning home to Shelby County in 2012 to become an assistant basketball coach. He was 55 years old.

Fellow Wildcat Goose Givens told the Herald-Leader that a few weeks ago, Hurt underwent a stem-cell surgery, and they thought things were looking up, but it just wasn’t enough to tackle the disease.

“According to his mom, it went very well, and they thought it was very positive,” Givens said. “He got better, actually, but obviously it didn’t do what it was supposed to do. … They had tried a number of other procedures, and after a long battle he fought it hard, but it just didn’t work.”

Our thoughts and prayers are with the Hurt family.

[Herald-Leader]

9 Comments for Former UK player Charles Hurt passes away

1. shelby
    9:53 am September 17, 2016 Permalink

I remember Charles Hurt very well–chiseled from stone. He, chuck verderber, and Derek hord came to Lebanon one time for a pancake breakfast; that was a huge event for me as I never got to see my heroes in person. I remember there was a picture in the paper of those guys with me and two of my friends grinning ear to ear. Charles always seemed very humble. But he was a beast on the court. Thoughts and prayers are with the family. I had another encounter with Charles a couple years later; sat behind him at a movie in Louisville … I remember he fell asleep lol.

2. oleblue
    10:09 am September 17, 2016 Permalink

I went to school with Charles Hurt, at Shelby County High! While UK was winning their fifth National Championship in 1978 Charles was leading the Rockets to their last basketball championship in 78. He was a great guy, and a source of pride for Shelby County not just in basketball but in serving our country in the military. Mike Casey and Charles Hurt, The Best of the Best for the Rockets! May they both rest in peace.

3. Red headed Stepchild
    10:26 am September 17, 2016 Permalink

Charles Hurt should be honored at todays football game.

He was one of the most humble and honorable former Wildcats of all time. Had a great soul. He is ” Good People” along with everyone of his family members that I personally had the true pleasure to have had contact with, prayers to the entire HURT family .

My favorite #44 memory was the Hurt vs Barkley games.

• Duuuuuude
      11:42 am September 17, 2016 Permalink

Right, like at Auburn when Barkley lost his mind and chased Hurt down the court, punching him in the back of his head and knocking him into the third row. It was a very cheap shot, but Hurt had really gotten to Barkley.

4. Megan
    11:30 am September 17, 2016 Permalink

So sad. And far too young. My best friend went through the same thing. With the same result. Remission, followed by relapse. Another remission, another relapse. It was a losing game. As Craig Sager surely understands.

I’ll always remember Charles for his shoulders. Best shoulders in UK history? I’d like to know who had better. Oh my. I did love his shoulders. And his game. I’ll always remember him fondly.

5. jdarren1963
    1:19 pm September 17, 2016 Permalink

Prayers for his family and friends. He was one of my all-time favorite players. Gave 100% every time on the hardwood.

6. SoCalCat
    1:30 pm September 17, 2016 Permalink

Sad. My years at UK. RIP Charles.

7. catdaddyd
    1:34 pm September 17, 2016 Permalink

One of my favorites as a youngster, always seemed humble and steady on the court. I heard he was a paratrooper in the service. RIP Charles.

8. kfwa
    4:45 pm September 17, 2016 Permalink

I hate to hear this. Before Chuck Hayes, Charles Hurt was the original #44. Dude was ripped and always seemed low key.