Former Kentucky Basketball player Tom Payne granted parole

After serving more than 30 years in prison, Tom Payne is about to be a free man.

According to LEX18, Payne, the first African-American to play basketball for the University of Kentucky, has been granted parole after serving three decades for multiple sexual assaults. Payne has repeatedly expressed remorse for his actions, and hopes his story can be an inspiration to others trying to get their life back on track.

“I want to show that a man can be redeemed,” Payne told the parole board in 2016. “A man can come out of here and live a decent life.”

His request then was denied, but now, he’s got a chance at freedom. As Nancy Cox shared, it was an emotional moment at the Kentucky State Reformatory in La Grange:

[LEX18]

[mobile_ad]

10 Comments for Former Kentucky Basketball player Tom Payne granted parole

1. HackRichards
    11:22 am November 20, 2018 Permalink

I sincerely hope that BBN welcomes him with open arms. He has paid for his transgressions in this life AND if that Praise “Thank you Jesus” he said is true the life in the hereafter as well.

• StuckinLville
      11:56 am November 20, 2018 Permalink

They all find Jesus when they go to prison. Sexual predators deserve to stay in prison. I dont care if he was a member of the BBN. I dont want him associated with the program at all.

• ready4nineNOW
      12:25 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

Says a parole board. The man has proven to be a sexual predator again and again. He will be back.

2. CoachCat
    12:08 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

Yeah. The program won’t go near him with a ten foot pole

3. wildcatdude
    12:33 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

I hope he is sincere and wish him luck. However the crimes were horrendous. And multiple times and multiple states. The recidivism rate is high in this area. Hopefully the 30 years in jail and counseling he has learned not to be a predator. But I wouldn’t want hm alone with any female I care about.
    I hope he has turned his life around and maybe can help someone else by sharing his story with others.

4. ukcats1776.90
    12:47 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

it is so racist that the first black player to play at kentucky went to prison. I bet trump is behind this!

5. ClutchCargo
    2:26 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

That he served just 30 years for all that he did is astonishing. I would imagine his victims are proclaiming something other than “praise Jesus” right now.

6. catdaddyd
    2:40 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

He should have been chemically castrated. Last time released he raped again.

7. Luether
    5:02 pm November 21, 2018 Permalink

Was a Freshman with Payne in Holmes Hall in 1969. I’ve never met a stupider person. His IQ couldn’t have been over 80. One night he discovered the screwdriver and went about removing every room number in the dorm. Was caught trying to flush them down a toilet. I’ve seen more class in a roach…