Forde Fact Check: Leon Smith never worked under John Calipari

joe-craft-center

Yahoo’s Pat Forde did a good job reporting on the Leon Smith indictment except for one detail.

Forde wrote that Leon Smith worked as Director of Basketball Operations under John Calipari during Smith’s time at Kentucky. That is incorrect. Martin Newton was hired to be Calipari’s Director of Basketball Ops shortly after Calipari left Memphis for the Kentucky job.

Leon Smith was UK Director of Basketball Ops under Tubby Smith until 2006 when he moved over to Assistant Athletic Director under Mitch Barnhart for a couple of years. He was out before the John Calipari era of Kentucky basketball began.

So go ahead and correct that, Pat.

Article written by Drew Franklin

6 Comments for Forde Fact Check: Leon Smith never worked under John Calipari

1. MikesWay
    4:43 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

‘Nah, reads better the other way.’ – Forde, probably

2. a21CATSfan
    5:25 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

Ol’ Pat Forde always looking to take a shot. Even if it’s false, the damage is already done. I see that #factsareoptional is spreading like wildfire. CATS

• a21CATSfan
      5:26 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

And BTW, does he only report negative material from the University of Kentucky?!

3. jahanc2uky
    6:03 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

Make him get on the radio and read an apology. A retraction is much less embrassing. I am sure Matt would agree.

4. jaws2
    7:55 pm May 8, 2017 Permalink

This ass is NOT going to retract or apologize, he hates Cal and U.K. Forget it and DO NOT give him clicks!!!!

5. Matty_Cam
    7:43 am May 9, 2017 Permalink

While Martin was the Director of Ops under Cal those first two years, Leon’s title was Assistant Athletics Director for Men’s Basketball. So while he technically worked for Mitch, he was still working with Cal and the team on a regular basis.

I know this because I was interning with the team during that time and knew Leon personally. It’s been quite some time since we’ve spoke but he was such a great guy to me and I always had great interactions with him. I hate to see that he’s done this and it’s truly a sad situation all the way around.