Five Years Ago Today…

2012-Kentucky-Champs

I have seen the picture above countless times and it never gets old. Today marks five years to the day of Kentucky winning the 2012 National Championship. Kentucky defeated Kansas 67-59 behind Doron Lamb’s 22 points and Anthony Davis’ 16 rebounds. I don’t think there is a better way to spend a Sunday than rewatching the game in its’ entirety.

One Shining Moment:

I was in a small hotel room in Chicago, where were you? Let me know in the comments or on Twitter @GormleyKSR

Article written by Sam Gormley

Follow me on Twitter @GormleyKSR; "The Whitest Man in the World"-JRock

17 Comments for Five Years Ago Today…

1. catlaska
    1:23 pm April 2, 2017 Permalink

I was there!

2. buglipp
    1:59 pm April 2, 2017 Permalink

I was there!

3. runningunnin.454
    2:36 pm April 2, 2017 Permalink

I was on CLOUD # 9.

4. BLA078
    3:34 pm April 2, 2017 Permalink

I was in a hotel in Baltimore. The next morning there were a ton of other people walking around the harbor with Cats gear on.

5. 8xchamp
    4:29 pm April 2, 2017 Permalink

I was there, and it was awesome.

6. Hunters Hero
    5:27 pm April 2, 2017 Permalink

I was there with my Dad and Son- great memories

7. catsarerunnin
    5:34 pm April 2, 2017 Permalink

I wasn’t there!!

8. UKEE93
    6:07 pm April 2, 2017 Permalink

I like the all Kentucky version of One Shining Moment better…

9. Brian in Franklin
    11:04 pm April 2, 2017 Permalink

I hope I live to eat these words, but I dont think we win another one while Cal is here. Just my opinion, and I hope I’m wrong.

• Luether
      7:44 pm April 3, 2017 Permalink

You could be a UL fan…

• Brian in Franklin
      11:48 pm April 3, 2017 Permalink

Hahahaha. Im surprised noone has mentioned it yet! Those are fightn words!

10. CvilleWildcat
    8:20 am April 3, 2017 Permalink

I was in Gatlinburg watching the game in a chalet with family during Spring Break! Theatre seating made it even better.

To Brian in Franklin: Cal has done nothing but put us in position to win every year! During a one game tournament anything can happen. My gosh, look at South Carolina! No coach in America has been to the FF more than Cal during his tenure at UK; that’s incredible! We have been spoiled. People talk about these other teams and wanting to be more like them….WHY?!?!?! Mark Few was on the 18 year plan. Tubby went to the FF one time with Rick’s players (barely) and never went again. Which system seems to work again? I like my Coach, I like my team.

• Brian in Franklin
      10:37 am April 3, 2017 Permalink

I can’t disagree with anything you said. I can’t explain it really, but i feel although we had the best team in 2012, we were lucky to win the title, not just the title game, but the whole run. I feel the SEC is catching up, and Cal wont be here in five years. He has been fortunate that no other SEC schools have been able to recruit with us, but other schools have brought in coaches who can swing some of these southern recruits to stay home. His inability to draw recruits and develop the ones he does recruit will ultimately lead him to retire when Brad leaves. We have already missed several overall #1 players since 2012 and we seemingly won’t have any in-state recruits this year, which I feel will be necessary for championships. We are at our pinnacle and although we will return to the FF and even the NC game I just dont see us winning it.

11. DT in DC
    8:42 am April 3, 2017 Permalink

April 2, 2011, I had just delivered my first son hours before I was able to watch my first UK game with him. Sadly it was my first teachable moment when I had to tell him, “Son, you’ll never win big games by shooting 33% from the FT line.” Then, exactly one year later, we had my son’s 1st birthday party and then watched UK win #8 on his birthday. What a great present for him! 🙂 And that little guy still loves sitting next to me watching UK games. In fact, when I wanted to turn the TV off in the last minute of the UNC game, he said, “MOM! We can still win”! Love my ‘Cats and I love that kid!

12. rickwhitetx
    9:27 am April 3, 2017 Permalink

I was there with my son. We were in the UK quadrant of the stadium and way high up. Got the tickets through the NCAA lottery. Found out in August that I had them and it was the most exciting year of UK basketball in my life.