Five Things John Calipari Said In Knoxville

© Randy Sartin | USATSI

© Randy Sartin | USATSI

Before we get to the quotes, let’s caption that awesome photo. Hit the comments section if you have a good one.

Once you’re done with the photo fun, here are five important things John Calipari said today:

1. “Here comes Johnny.”

Like everyone else, Calipari is a big fan of Johnny Juzang today. The freshman set a new career high with 13 points in 24 minutes (also a career high), and did the little things Cal begs of his players.

“He just kept fighting. I was so proud of him,” Calipari said. “We had a couple guys not play well. They’re not machines, not robots. Maybe it was a bad matchup, whatever you want to say… and here comes Johnny.”

“The effort, the energy — that’s why we left him in.”

2. “Nick asked me for the ball. Think about that.”

“Coach, will you throw me the ball in the post,” Richards said to Cal, according to Cal after the game.

“So we ran some stuff to get him the ball in the post and the kid came through.”

Richards had 15 and 7. That’ll do.

3. “This is a tough place to play, and Rick’s teams aren’t going to give you the game. You gotta take it.”

After dropping four straight games in Knoxville, Cal finally got a win in Thompson-Boling. Afterwards he said, “This is a hard environment, this is a tough place to play, and Rick’s teams aren’t going to give you the game. You gotta take it. They just won’t. They’re not going to do stuff to cost them the game. You are going to have to take the game in this building.”

4. “You have to understand that every game is somebody’s Super Bowl.”

Drink!

5. “I thought we would’ve been a 1-seed, but that’s me.”

Before he headed back home, Calipari was asked about his team’s snub from the NCAA’s big reveal of the top 16 seeds, to which he said, sarcastically, “We were a 2-seed?… We weren’t? Wow, that surprises me. Were we an 8-seed? Are we in the tournament?”

Sarcasm aside, Cal said his team probably won’t even talk about it. “I didn’t expect anything. I thought we would’ve been a 1-seed, but that’s me.”

See it all:

Article written by Drew Franklin

9 Comments for Five Things John Calipari Said In Knoxville

1. Righteous1
    6:33 pm February 8, 2020 Permalink

A #1 seed with a home loss to Evansville at home who is 0-11 in the Missouri Valley Conference? NOW that is some humorous stuff!

• 4everUKBlue
      6:48 pm February 8, 2020 Permalink

No one is funnier than you RighteousSlater1.

• nocode96
      6:55 pm February 8, 2020 Permalink

A guy who can’t get rid of his hard on for Cal? NOW that is some serious stuff! Kentucky won today bro, did you know that? You know who coaches Kentucky? That one hall of fame dude that will be here for as long as he wants and will continue to bring us the second greatest era in the history of UK ball, that’s who. Literally no one, ever, has done more at UK than Cal except for Rupp, and that was 100 years ago in a time when a 6’1 white dude could dominate the paint. This is UK ball now and I, like most fans with a working brain cell, LOVE IT and are happy with it. GO BIG BLUE! And you? You can go get bent. I would tell you to go root for a team with more wins since Cal got here, but you won’t find one because that team is UK. So, I’ll try and link this absolute objective and unbiased proof that UK is the Mecca of college ball, since Cal got here and forever.

• StillBP
      7:13 pm February 8, 2020 Permalink

Wrongous1, Evansville lost their coach, kinda hard to salvage the season. Not that they’re good, that was a terrible loss for us. But we’ve had some good wins you fail to talk about, you only like to be negative.

• Bluehender
      8:10 pm February 8, 2020 Permalink

Ahh…just go ahead and jump Righteous1Slater…

2. slam212121
    6:50 pm February 8, 2020 Permalink

And your precious ACC sucks a$$. UK should not be seeded lower than an average team like you UL squad. It’s truly a joke of what the ACC has become this year.

3. ClutchCargo
    7:01 pm February 8, 2020 Permalink

Cal: “So THAT’S wtf you were actually doing??”

4. trumpetguy
    10:01 pm February 8, 2020 Permalink

Nick said, “If they don’t start getting me the ball more, I’m flying the plane home!”

5. RealCatsFan
    11:52 pm February 8, 2020 Permalink

First: wrongeous1 is a douche

Second: caption winner –

Nick to Ashton: “Quick Ashton, give Coach the Heimlich! He’s choking on another one of your turnovers!”

You can mail me my prize. 🙂