Five-star center Isaiah Stewart verbally commits to WASHINGTON

Isaiah Stewart, a consensus five-star, top-six prospect in the class of 2019, has verbally committed to play basketball at Washington. He announced his decision on ESPN during halftime of a Hoophall Classic game. The news comes after weeks of speculation, including a crystal ball report that heavily favored the Huskies. Here’s a video of the announcement:

In his interview with 247 sports, Stewart said Washington coach Mike Hopkins was a big factor in his decision.

“At first, I wasn’t leaning towards them, but the more Coach Hopkins and I continued to talk, he’s a guy like me and different and works hard. He wants to start his own legacy and that’s what I want to do,” Stewart said. “He’s a coach I trust to push me harder and help me accomplish my goals.”

But his commitment doesn’t stop there. Like most recruits, Stewart plans on helping his new school continue to bring in elite talent.

I’m going after Jaden McDaniels now,” Stewart said. “We’re trying to build something out there… If we get him, man, game-changer.”

Jaden McDaniels, if you’ll remember, is the No. 5 overall player in the Rivals rankings, and another top target for the Wildcats. He’s already been offered a scholarship and taken an official visit, but the Washington native hasn’t yet committed. National analyst Corey Evans believes UK and Washington are the two most likely landing spots for McDanielsThat’d be a huge miss for Kentucky at this point.

Throughout the recruitment process, Stewart took official visits to Kentucky, Duke, Michigan State and Syracuse before ultimately picking the Huskies. Over the last week or so, KSR sources have thought Washington would most likely be Stewart’s final destination, and today’s news finally confirms that. KSR’s Jack Pilgrim will have plenty of additional information in his “Monday Insider Notes” post tomorrow afternoon.

After missing out on Vernon Carey (who is committed to Duke) and now Isaiah Stewart, John Calipari and the Cats are back in the market for a big man.

@MaggieDavisKSR

Article written by Maggie Davis

I love sports, podcasts, long walks on the beach and Twitter (@MaggieDavisKSR)

20 Comments for Five-star center Isaiah Stewart verbally commits to WASHINGTON

1. ThatsAShame
    8:51 pm January 20, 2019 Permalink

Is this assuming Nick Richards is leaving as well as EJ? I think we might be okay if they stay.

• Saul T. Nuts
      9:28 pm January 20, 2019 Permalink

Just a general question, why in the world would any recruit choose Washington? It doesn’t make any sense…

• CatsfaninFL
      9:54 pm January 20, 2019 Permalink

$$$

2. StuckinLville
    8:53 pm January 20, 2019 Permalink

I don’t understand Washington being the pick but at least it’s not Duke.

• ThatsAShame
      8:59 pm January 20, 2019 Permalink

I read “start his own legacy” as “I’m building my program around you kid.” He is going to the be the man. Apparently that’s what he wants.

• KYjellyRoll
      9:31 pm January 20, 2019 Permalink

They’re not going to turn Washington into a legend in one year…I see a guy who wants to be the man also. Let him go. He’s not about team ball obviously. Nor is he ready to hear coach cal tell him like it is. I think Washington has pumped him up into thinking they’ll have a legendary season. I don’t see it. There’s no top talent around him to make him better. There’s no big time games for him to compete in with it being a mediocre at best conference. We hardly knew ya kid. Best of luck

• RealCatsFan
      9:07 pm January 20, 2019 Permalink

Me neither. In other words “I am going to start my own legacy, while no one is watching or cares.

• Wade
      10:24 pm January 20, 2019 Permalink

Bill Walton

• 4everUKblue
      9:20 pm January 20, 2019 Permalink

Hope he enjoys his trip into obscurity, where he can take as many shots as he likes.

3. BigolBlue
    9:07 pm January 20, 2019 Permalink

Don’t worry everyone. UK isn’t for everyone. We will get our guts. Trust Cal and the process. He probably isn’t good enough anyway

4. dismore
    9:12 pm January 20, 2019 Permalink

Shocker

5. friendsofcoal
    9:19 pm January 20, 2019 Permalink

I’m fine with him going to Washington. We’ll never hear about him again.

6. BTownUKFan
    11:05 pm January 20, 2019 Permalink

I have no problem with a kid going somewhere else, but he thinks him and another freshman are going to be ‘game changers’ out west? Other than Gonzaga west coast basketball is crap. Coaches sell big dreams but don’t deliver. While he’s out there see if he can find that Zimmerman kid that chose UNLV over Kentucky a few years ago.
    GO CATS !!

7. damage_control
    12:15 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

Take it easy on the kid. He just wants to be the next Markell’s Fultz y’all!

8. bigbluebanana
    12:50 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

He just wanted to play with Quade.

• friendsofcoal
      2:17 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

I forgot about Green going to Washington. They’ll have a decent team…probably make the tourney for the first weekend.

9. BCO
    9:02 am January 21, 2019 Permalink

Its really hard not to assume that college basketball recruiting still isnt shady as hell when a kid like this picks Washington over a slew of bluebloods. But if i remember right from listening to a recruiting podcast, he and his fam had some ‘demands’ that Cal wasnt gonna go along with, which led to him cutting us the first time.
    Oh well. Kids today want to be the man, the centerpiece, the star at any costs. Winning matters little as long as they get theres.

Again thats probably some bad speculation on my part, im not saying thats necessarily what happened here…moreso just a general theme of recruiting lately.

10. BBN4LYFE