Five Quick Takeaways Before The Selection Show

SEC-5353

Hello there, friends. I’m deep inside Bridgestone Arena, home of the worst WiFi known to man, and it’s a party in here. Confetti is everywhere, the Wildcats are dancing, and I’m pretty sure I saw Jerry Tipton funneling Sunkist. What a time.

Anywho, we have a selection show to watch here in about an hour but I’d like to put a few words on the internet about the game, if you don’t mind. I’ll hit my five biggest takeaways and then I have to get on the road for that BRUTAL drive back to Lexington on SEC Sunday.

1. Dominique Hawkins gets my MVP vote.

Sure, De’Aaron Fox was the tournament’s actual MVP, but my made-up MVP award goes to Dominique Hawkins because he was awesome throughout the whole run. Dom played three great games in Nashville at 26 minutes per game, which is well above his season average, and he has become a real contributor and a vital piece to Kentucky’s success. It is especially exciting to see his emergence as his career winds down. Go Dom.

2. I thought we were going to see a fight.

For the second time this season, the Razorbacks got a little mouthy in the final minutes of a loss to Kentucky. This time it began when Dusty Hannahs, obviously mad at his parents for naming him Dusty, dropped Dominique Hawkins on a hard screen. Then things got even dirtier when Moses Kingsley took down De’Aaron Fox with a hard flagrant foul:

SEC-5349

All of that extracurricular activity is a bad look for the Arkansas players and it could really cost them some money in the upcoming FYR Macedonian Basketball draft. I can’t imagine any of those owners out in Bosnia are going to take a chance on a player with a bad attitude.

3. Malik Monk didn’t try to do too much.

Going into the game I was a little worried Monk would try to force the action to put it on the team and state he shunned coming out of high school. But he played a good game, didn’t ball hog or showboat, and further proved that his ugly two-game skid is far in the past.

And when I say he didn’t showboat, I mean his throat slash was awesome.

SEC-9740

Probably should’ve been a technical there but I loved it. The kid’s been hearing it from those fans since the day he committed to Kentucky early in his senior year of high school. Throat slash away.

4. Bam Adebayo has arrived.

It took a little bit longer than some others before him, but Bam has turned the corner and he is playing great inside for Kentucky. Today he fell a rebound shy of a double-double while scoring 17 points and knocking down all but one of his eight free throws. Good work by the big fella.

5. I like my team.

Kentucky will enter the big dance on an 11-game win streak and the Cats are the only team in the top 16 seeds to have a perfect record since the tournament reveal back in February. Throw in the fact that the backcourt is one of the best two or three in the country and I’ll take the Wildcats over just about anyone else in the coming weeks. This could be a very fun run.

Tournament seeding coming up…

Article written by Drew Franklin

19 Comments for Five Quick Takeaways Before The Selection Show

1. catsarerunnin
    5:02 pm March 12, 2017 Permalink

Love my Cats but I could have done without the throat slash thing. Just play ball. Go Cats!

• WeareBBN
      5:43 pm March 12, 2017 Permalink

Agree we don’t need the talk, do what you do best and play basketball. Loved Fox for taking a punk hit and how did he respond. Got up, sank the free throws and next trip swish a 3, that is the talk we need to do. Glad to see them beat these average teams like we should, good sign I hope.

2. BigBlueJimB
    5:09 pm March 12, 2017 Permalink

Dom is the senior and playing great with lots of heart, so why isn’t he starting instead of Briscoe who lately is a turn over machine that can’t make a layup? He threw the ball at Dom’s feet at least twice!

• blackmilk23
      5:16 pm March 12, 2017 Permalink

Here goes the “Briscoe isn’t allowed to have a bad game” train…

It’s okay to have bench players play well.

• catsarerunnin
      5:20 pm March 12, 2017 Permalink

Dom is best suited for coming off the bench. Brings energy and intensity. Every team needs a player like that.

• JusSayin
      5:24 pm March 12, 2017 Permalink

Dude he just scored 20 like 2 days ago.

Briscoe had a bad first half. Dom picked up the slack like you would want a 4th year player to do. Hawkins played heavy minutes and was in at crunch time.

Dom himself was 0-7 in the game where Briscoe had 20. We have 4 great guards. They aren’t all going to play well every game.

• JusSayin
      5:27 pm March 12, 2017 Permalink

I agree catsarerunnin. He’s a perfect 6th man. Best one I can remember in recent memory. (excluding the platoon team of course)

3. RexRox
    5:15 pm March 12, 2017 Permalink

Probably won’t happen but Kingsley should be suspended for the Hogs’ first tournament game. Very low-class move.

• A_Blue_Wildcat
      5:29 pm March 12, 2017 Permalink

I’m glad he got ejected for that punk move, but I don’t think it was bad enough to deserve a suspension.

• WeareBBN
      5:41 pm March 12, 2017 Permalink

Is the problem with that rule, yes he got ejected but there was no punishment there, game was over. Rule needs to change to if in 1st half out the game, if in 2nd half out that half and 1st half of next game. He lost nothing for that possible injury causing punk move.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:35 pm March 12, 2017 Permalink

Solid, informed comment BBN. I agree. Minimal accountability as the rule stands currently.

4. Collie
    5:26 pm March 12, 2017 Permalink

Great post from the die hard, true blue Kentucky fanside of drew we knew he had. He’s not the one to get giggedly very often. But I agree with everything. Dom MVP, Monk showing maturity (aside from throat chop,f’em), bam, as much as I hate the comparison, and to take one from tubby, “looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.” Unfortunately just like D. Howard….. But in the end, like a true Kentucky fan. I like my team! Go CATS!

5. HillbillyInBC
    5:29 pm March 12, 2017 Permalink

“…funneling Sunkist”. Is that what the kids call it these days?

6. BigBlueJimB
    5:41 pm March 12, 2017 Permalink

I’m not on the beat up Briscoe train, but “JusSayin” said it best, We don’t have to have this convo every-time Briscoe turns the ball over too much. If it does happen frequently and as you said, why not give the senior a chance to start?

7. chris43
    9:50 pm March 12, 2017 Permalink

Fox is playing really well. Monk is a beast and seems out of his slump. Bam has finally burst onto the scene giving us a presence inside. If Cal can control Briscoe and we get way more “good Briscoe” very “bricksoe ball hog” it’ll help a lot. We’ll also need Hawkins to keep up the hustle, Willis to hit the boards and be a deep threat (as he has been lately). Bonus is Gabriel steps up and plays like he’s capable in the tourney. If we simply play to our potential and limit TO’s there’s not a single team that we can give a run for their money. Go BIG BLUE and please please please let MONK MADNESS start Friday on an epic legendary 6 game run!

8. dballrb
    11:00 pm March 12, 2017 Permalink

I’ll take Briscoe anyday. ..

9. Luether
    12:00 am March 13, 2017 Permalink

Both Fox and Adebayo should be made to run stadium steps until they puke for NOT calling out Hannahs’ pick that wiped out Dom…

• drmac_15
      5:08 pm March 13, 2017 Permalink

I took all of that end game antics as on Mike Anderson…. He wants to matter again and knows Kentucky is the hump for his program. They are desperate to create a rivalry that just isn’t there.

Cal is rubbing off on these guys and Hats Off to All of Kentucky players and coaches on how they Didn’t respond.

Those players and coaches are representing the Legacy of Kentucky Basketball. They responded exactly how they should have……Dom lifting an All Tournament Team Award, Fox lifting the SEC MOP Award, and the team lifting their 30th SEC Trophy.