Five Quick Postgame Thoughts

monk-floor

Some quick, poorly-written thoughts while I eat a free cookie and wait on John Calipari to come out for his press conference…

The “This team will lose in the Sweet 16” crowd got shut up. We all know that person, the “this team won’t do anything in March” attitude. Malik Monk shut them up today. Monk proved that, when he is hot, Kentucky can and likely will beat anyone, anywhere. Of course that is asking a lot of Monk, but to definitively say Kentucky can’t make a run is stupid. Guards take over in the tournament every year and there’s no guard I’d rather have on my team than Monk. Now he still has to do it, but he showed us today that it’s ridiculous to completely rule out any hope for the Cats. Slap that person next time you see them.

Mychal Mulder let me down. As the conductor of the Mychal Mulder hype train, I was thrilled to see he got the nod as starter in De’Aaron Fox’s absence. This is when he proves he deserves it, I thought to myself.

Unfortunately, he did not capitalize on that opportunity. I do think he played a decent first half, considering he was in a matchup he never needs to be in with Robinson, and he played him well in the beginning. But the second half was bad, both offensively and defensively, and I’m left wishing it had been his coming out party. He may never get an opportunity like that to contribute.

Cal did say Mulder is getting better in his postgame comments, which is true. But I wish he had done a little more in his new role today.

Rupp Arena was rocking. Great environment in Lexington today and I think the noise played a big role in the Cats’ win. Great job by the Big Blue Nation in getting behind the team throughout the whole game, especially during the big runs that made the different.

Those were the three most incompetent officials I have ever seen at any level of basketball. The SEC is toying with us at this point. Those referees were sh**. I didn’t know it was possible to get worse than what we’ve seen, but those three guys were it. The conference has a real officiating problem on its hands that it needs to figure out in the offseason. Can’t wait to get to the NCAA tourney so these nobodies are out of our lives.

Bam turned the corner?

40 points and 30 rebounds in two games for the big fella.

Has he finally arrived?

Article written by Drew Franklin

11 Comments for Five Quick Postgame Thoughts

1. RexRox
    4:55 pm February 25, 2017 Permalink

To elaborate on Bam’s last two games, shooting 13 of 20, 10 offensive rebounds and only three personal fouls. And 14 of 18 free throws. Hopefully the REAL Bam has arrived.

2. JusSayin
    5:34 pm February 25, 2017 Permalink

I don’t think Mulder was a “let down”. People’s expectations were just out of control.

He’s a spot up shooter off the bench. And that is what he should continue to be. He was serviceable on both ends. But there was no way he could live up to the hype he was getting in the comments on this blog.

Everyone came down with “backup better than the starter” syndrome.

3. Cals Hoverboard
    5:53 pm February 25, 2017 Permalink

We didn’t look bad in the first half, just didn’t shoot the ball well. 2nd half we looked shaky at time, but only because Florida was making plays and making tough contested shots. Loved our effort, the defense looked adequate but was really proud of the way our guys fought and made better decisions. Monk showed that he is “big time” and Bam flexed his muscles. Briscoe keeps frustrating me with his decision making and needs to have his attitude adjusted. Great win for our guys and I really like what I saw today. I totally agree with Drew about our officiating. Why do we continue to get a “road whistle”
    when we are at home? Poole and Petty have been so bad for us on the whistle this season. I can’t see how the SEC can not see what’s going on when (and If) they watch film and grade these officials! It’s gonna be nice to get out of the SEC and get away from the officiating that I’ve seen. Absolutely awful.

• RexRox
      6:37 pm February 25, 2017 Permalink

Think we had 12 turnovers by halftime. That’s not a good look. On the bright side, Cats came up big on the boards.

4. Kevin C
    6:26 pm February 25, 2017 Permalink

Drew, you must have missed a few games if you thought this was the worst officiating. It wasn’t even close to the worst officiated game UK has been in this month.

5. keiths
    6:46 pm February 25, 2017 Permalink

Drew , how in the heck could this been a poorly officiated. we shot 27 free throws, they shot 6 ! I’ll take this crew every game!

6. Saul T. Nuts
    10:15 pm February 25, 2017 Permalink

These were certainly not the worst officials this year, but there were many obvious fouls that weren’t called…it was ridiculous.

7. chris43
    1:33 am February 26, 2017 Permalink

I feel we’ve gotten the shaft by the refs many times this year but I can honestly say that I didn’t really have an issue with them today. We’re there missed calls? Of course! But that’s going to happen in every game.

8. JHyamo
    9:37 am February 26, 2017 Permalink

Look around, I agree with you but look at all the SEC games , most of the referees I have never seen before. I was watching the OL Miss-Mo Game and those three had to huddle after every review and still could not agree. Thanks for letting me rant.