Five Fun Takeaways From Bahamas Saturday Night

With only a couple minutes left in Kentucky’s win over Mega Bemax, let’s discuss some talking points from the Bahamas.

1. Stefan Fundic is my favorite non-UK player.

#42 for Mega Bemax (the fat one) was so fun to watch. He’s actually good, too. Kentucky’s length was too much for him, but he was crafty in getting buckets and grabbing rebounds, all while looking like a guy that drank a 30 rack at the pool today and has a second shift job at the steel mill to get back to on Monday. And like I told my Twitter followers during the game, I will be leaving the Atlantis with his jersey. I’m fully prepared to pay top dollar for it.

2. It’s hard to not be too excited.

We’ve now seen Kentucky play three games against professionals and it’s impossible to not think crazy thoughts about this team’s potential. They’re two deep at every need and position on the floor (outside of maybe the wing behind Keldon Johnson) with everything you’d want in your arsenal. They have speed, size, athleticism, shooting, more athleticism, physicality inside, lockdown defense, confidence, selfless attitudes and all the other traits and abilities you’d ever want in a championship team. It’s only August so we shouldn’t get carried away, but it’s hard not to.

3. I don’t know how John Calipari is going to form a rotation.

There are nine guys who deserve quality minutes. All nine could start on about every team in the country. So how does Cal piece together the equation? I have no idea. But I say platoon. Don’t @ me if you’re not with me.

4. Coach Cal was coaching the whole time.

Sure, he wants you to believe he sat in the crowd and did nothing, but don’t be fooled. Cal has been coaching the entire time and he is pumped about what he has to work with.

5. They’re going to kick Duke’s ass.

It’s too bad we have to wait another two and a half months until then.

Article written by Drew Franklin

14 Comments for Five Fun Takeaways From Bahamas Saturday Night

1. Bigblue7982
    9:33 pm August 11, 2018 Permalink

Cats by 10+ vs Duke book it!

2. shelby
    9:44 pm August 11, 2018 Permalink

I luv this team. Is it just me or does keldon johnson look like brandon knight in the face?

3. BlueWildcat_99
    9:56 pm August 11, 2018 Permalink

Anyone know Jemarl Baker’s status? At this point I feel like the poor guy had to have a knee replacement or something. What knee injury takes a year and a half and still not be healed? ACLs are often 10 month recovery times now. Just wondering if we’re ever going to see him play.

• BlakeBlueNation
      12:24 am August 12, 2018 Permalink

His knee has been sore lately, the same one he injured. So he’s taking it easy until November. Just to make sure he can play

4. UKLugo
    10:10 pm August 11, 2018 Permalink

This team has already “bought in”. The work that Cal has put into the trust issues is paying off. Big time.

5. CombatMedic_98
    10:56 pm August 11, 2018 Permalink

Comparing this team to last years team and how they went…there is no reason we don’t make it to the Championship Game…wait I forgot about the referees! Schucks my bad guys…

6. BlakeBlueNation
    12:26 am August 12, 2018 Permalink

You say Johnson doesn’t have anyone behind him but I disagree. Herro and Baker will both play that SF position for us when needed. He has plenty of depth behind him. He just doesn’t need it because he’s too good

• Cokely53
      11:31 am August 12, 2018 Permalink

They can and will play it but I think drew meant we don’t have a natural 3 behind him because those guys are 2s naturally.

7. Wilfred Smith
    8:34 am August 12, 2018 Permalink

I think you’ll see platoons in a baseball sense.

For example – certain combinations of guys will always play together, 2 or 3 guys. I don’t think you’ll often see Herro without Hagans. Other groups will develop.

8. timfmiller
    10:28 am August 12, 2018 Permalink

Absolutely love how this team plays defense in last two games (lots of eyes up and help side defense which allows greater pressure on the ball). Offensively I love how unselfish they are— looking to make the extra pass. My chief concern moving forward is Coach Cal— will he allow them to push the gas pedal all game– even when they’re up big! All the players after tonight’s game were ecstatic that the coaches let them play. Too often I’ve felt Coach Cal had a tendency to slow them down and play more cautionary to limit t.o.’s— that’s fine if your players are limited athletically, but he’s had thoroughbreds and you have to let them run!!