Five Cats in latest Draft Express mock draft; Skal #5

Skal Labissiere made some baby steps of improvement on Saturday against Ohio State, but right now, he looks nowhere near a Top 5 NBA Draft pick; however, in his latest 2016 Mock Draft, Jonathan Givony has Skal at #5, down two spots from #3 a few weeks ago.

Here’s where the rest of the Cats rank:

#5: Skal Labissiere

#7: Jamal Murray

#22: Isaiah Briscoe

#42: Tyler Ulis

#44: Marcus Lee

No Alex Poythress, although Givony lists him as the 85th best prospect in his new Top 100.

Check out the rest of the rankings here.

42 Comments for Five Cats in latest Draft Express mock draft; Skal #5

1. Rajonrondo9
    12:00 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

How?????

2. Catsby80
    12:05 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

Skal will be drafted on potential alone. I’m not sure why the majority of our fanbase cannot accept this. College statistics don’t mean anything to NBA scouts. Tomas Robinson from Kansas was drafted 5th overall the same year as AD & MKG. He averages 3.2 ppg. He was drafted on potential just like Skal will be.

• Laker Cat 18
      12:08 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

You can’t teach toughness. You either have it or you don’t. Skal doesn’t have it and likely won’t get it. I get all the “potential” talk, but unless something mentally up top changes for him, he’ll be a 1-and-done in the NBA as well.

• Catsby80
      12:11 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

He very well might be a one-and-done in the NBA, but that does not change the fact that an NBA team will take a chance on him and draft him high. It happens every single year. With all due respect, your opinion, as well as mine, doesn’t mean squat to the NBA scouts who are going to draft this kid.

• Mc12
      12:22 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

I agree with your point but disagree with your Thomas Robinson being drafted on potential example. He averaged 17 points and 12 boards a game as a junior and was an All-American. He’d fall more into strictly a bust category because he looked the part in college (to a lot of people).

• Catsby80
      12:26 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

That’s fair. Perhaps I misspoke on Robinson. However, my point is simply that NBA teams draft every year on potential and that isn’t going to change. The same will hold true this season.

• Mc12
      12:34 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

I agree. Skal is definitely a project. He has terrible footwork defensively, and his moves offensively have become calculated. He’s also soft.

I think his offensive efficiency will improve throughout the season once he overcomes a few mental hurdles. He has an incredible skill set, but is so out of whack mentally he looks terrible.

His footwork and awareness on defense and his inability to man-up on the glass definitely puts him into the project pool. He looks the part, he just doesn’t act the part yet.

• leon singleton
      1:24 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

When players get out from under Cal and get good coaching look how good they get. Skal will be fine when he gets under a coach.

• Mc12
      1:40 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

Leon, Karen Sypher was under a coach and she’s not fine.

• Laker Cat 18
      1:41 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

I don’t disagree with you on the “potential” factor. He’ll likely be drafted high. The college game will help him perfect his game more than entering the NBA early. An extra year at college would be a huge investment for him to make if he plans on panning out for a prolonged NBA career. I didn’t expect Skal to be this soft. I’m shocked Cal would take a kid of this caliber outside of the potential factor we’ve discussed.

3. Laker Cat 18
    12:06 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

Skal & Briscoe are both overrated. Need to toughen up a bit. Murray is a GAM. Best guard we’ve seen since Wall and I would probably take him over Wall.

• RC
      12:15 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

Murray over Wall? No thanks. Murray was abominable in the first half against Ohio State before coming out of his coma. Wall didn’t take any halves-off. Wall was DOMINANT on a team with other NBA draft locks. Wall was an All American. Murray hadn’t been heard from in about 4 games. Murray is not John Wall. Not even close.

However, that being said, Murray is the ONLY player on this Kentucky team that could contribute in the NBA next year. All of our kids- EVERY ONE OF THEM- would spend most of the year in the D-League if they come out after this season as of now. Skal appears to be a multi-year project at either the NBA or college level. Will he get drafted? Yes. Will it be a tremendous gamble? Absolutely.

These rankings and draft talk this early in the year are simply stupid. I know why we see them but it’s stupid.

• J-Dub421
      12:16 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

Briscoe is third on our team in both scoring and rebounding. I’d hardly call him overrated.

• RealCatsFan
      12:33 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

Keep in mind that Murray should be going into his junior year in HS too before comparing him to Wall.

• RealCatsFan
      12:33 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

Correction – going into senior year.

• Laker Cat 18
      12:34 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

Wall’s team was better. He had his stats because of the guys around him. Murray is basically a one man show right now and is essentially putting up the similar numbers across the board. The 2009-10 team would beat this team by 30.

Maybe it’s just me, but I expected Briscoe to contribute a little more than a 38% FT and a 24% 3PT shooting statistic. Being #3 on the team in scoring, that tells me that he is shooting way too much. I do like his rebounding hustle though. He is Archie Goodwin 2.0.

• kyle heavy
      1:05 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

I don’t even think Murray is as good as Devin Booker. Book would average 25 a game for this team.

• Laker Cat 18
      1:18 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

Murray is better than Booker. Not as a pure shooter of course, but in every other aspect of the game. More aggressive on defense, better at getting teammates involved, more apt to take over a game, etc. Just different type of player. That’s what made Wall a great player as well when he wasn’t the best shooter. Did everything else right. Murray just doesn’t have the strength around him to get the Wall, Booker-type treatment some of you guys are trying to say hinders him. He’s as good (or better) than those guys.

• Catsby80
      1:38 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

I disagree that Murray is better than Wall. You’re talking about a guy who is considered one of the top 5 point guards in the NBA. Murray is very very talented, but I think it’s a bit premature to make that comparison.

• Laker Cat 18
      1:43 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

I’m comparing based on their time at UK. We’re 11 games into Murray’s collegiate career now. I’m not comparing NBA-Wall to UK-Murray. That’s laughable.

• JusSayin
      2:01 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

Briscoe needs to “toughen up”? Murray over Wall? You are done talking.

• Laker Cat 18
      2:22 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

Thanks for putting in your worthless two cents. We’ll await the rest of your contribution that carries some weight.

• theSkinny81
      2:42 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

JusSayin is right.

• Laker Cat 18
      3:33 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

This is the Murray show and there is literally no one else on this team ready to accept the challenge to get the team where they will need to be by March. We’ve seen this same Poythress for 3 years. He’s no more improved than he was in year 1. Ulis is the only exception, but he is too small and it’s showing. (I thought he would play bigger than he is and I’m disappointed so far.) No one can tell me that they expected Skal to be as soft as he is or Briscoe to be as horrendous of a shooter as he is right now. They’re both capable of much more. 11 games into the season, I wouldn’t call that being in a slump.

4. BlueDeuce
    12:16 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

Well, based on potential I guess he could go in the lottery but heck, you are talking 3 or 4 years to toughen that kid up, get some weight on him and develop him on defense. The first contract is only 3 years and can be waived after 2…Not sure he reaches his potential before then. I’d like to see him stay another year and gain some weight, get some experience playing high level ball before jumping to the NBA. He thinks this is tough…wait for grown-ass men to beat you up 82 times!

• Sentient Third Eye
      12:19 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

Yes, unless Skal has a miraculous transformation (and Cal has done it before, so I’m not saying it can’t happen), Skal would be better off staying in college for a few years.

5. Mc12
    12:30 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

Right now Skal reminds me of a dancer that you can tell they are counting their steps. All of his offensive moves are calculated and thought out prior to him making the move. If it can become natural to him, he can be a stud offensively. It’s all mental offensively.

His rebounding skills and his awareness defensively are a different issue. Hopefully he can at least become respectable and pull down 5 or 6 boards a game and limit his fouls as well as giving up easy baskets for being out of position.

6. The Rest of the story
    12:33 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

Skal may be the weakest, less athletic, poorest big man Cal has ever taken. I still cannot see how he deserves to be a starter when his contributions are so pathetic for a 7′. He will get broken in two in the NBA.

• UK Big Board Update
      12:49 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

Bet he does just fine against Ul’s 14′ of Suck.

• KTower
      4:29 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

Our resident negative troll

• The Rest of the story
      5:29 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

You call me a troll but yet you cannot say why I am wrong. What are you Taliban of Islamist because I do not agree with you and you just pass on your lame “troll” quotes.
      Please explain why Skal deserves to be in the starting line up instead of shouting TROLL!

• UK Big Board Update
      12:43 pm December 22, 2015 Permalink

We’ve got a big dumb redneck on our hands…. ^^

7. RealCatsFan
    12:38 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

I hate to say it, but if Skal goes even first round and Alex goes undrafted, it just adds fuel to the fire for kids coming out after one year in college. Same thing happened with the Harrisons. Their draft stock fell rather than increased, even after showing that they are fairly solid in college. Alex was practically a lock for first round if he had come out after his freshman year. Everyone thought Archie was crazy for leaving, but I think he is still getting paid an NBA salary. He would have slid into the late first round at best if he had stayed 3 years. I like having these guys hang around for more than a year too (I am a college BB fan, after all), but the cold hard facts are that many times these kids are better served personally to strike while the iron is hot.

8. Catlanta Fan
    1:13 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

Skal has to transform his body and mental approach before he should even think about going pro. The NBA has him going 5th? That’s why the league is watered down now. If he somehow changes it around and really gains confidence and toughens up, I may understand….but how can a self respecting NBA scout deem him the 5th best prospect in the world today? I can’t see him contributing in the D League if we’re talking today. He’ll be overseas somewhere real soon if he decides not to come back.

Briscoe isn’t really overrated, he just needs to get his FT shooting abilities in check. It’s tough to be a PG who can’t shoot FT’s. How are you going to have him in at the end of the game when he’s like Andre Drummond on the line?

9. constantinexi
    1:22 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

Based on his play so far, Skal Labissiere would be lucky to be signed to the NBA “development league”.

I’m not saying that he can’t end up in the lottery but he better forget going out this year. He’s already proven he’s not ready for THIS LEVEL much less the next!

And there is nothing at all WRONG with that!

This is how Freshmen used to be! Even the really talented ones! Does anyone think Jamal Mashburn (easily one of the 5 best in school history) was ready for the NBA after HIS freshman year?

10. Kernel Sanders
    2:22 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

One thing I have not seen mentioned in any of these posts….Who says Skal will be drafted to play Center or PF in the NBA( Cal is trying to get the kid to post up by sitting down and having a low center of gravity. Pretty hard for a 7′ kid that weighs about 190 lbs. Weight, maturity and experience will help Skal at any level, but I’m betting NBA GM’S will see Skal becoming a perimeter oriented big that won’t need to defend much in the post, or even need to rebound in the double digits. Shoot the 12-18 footer, slide inside for occasional jump hooks, pass out of the high post. He won’t be an immediate NBA impact player, but I think a lot of us are basing that too much on inadequacies we see in his game as a post player. Not natural to him at all.

• BlueDeuce
      2:41 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

If you are saying he’ll be a stretch 3 then there is zero chance of him being drafted. He’ll play against the likes of James and Durant not to mention the other outstanding 3s in the NBA. That is one of, if not “the position” the NBA stars are in!

I don’t think he can play the 5 in the NBA at all and he’s not physical or strong enough to play the 4. The 3 is really his only position but then I think of the current 3s and he couldn’t guard them if there were 2 of him on the court!

IDK…I think the kid has a talent no doubt but to even try to project him this year is a big mistake. He needs a few years of development to even compete at this level much less the next.

And think about this…4 months is all he has to get ready before the season is over and he heads to the combine!

11. UKBlue1
    3:06 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

Say whatever you want about how the pro game is different than the college game, no GM is going to waste a high lottery pick on a kid that doesn’t know how to play basketball & will have to spend more than likely at least 3 years in the D League. Skal doesn’t just not know basketball, he doesn’t know the basic fundamentals. Yes he might be a descent/good shooter, when you have no idea how to even do the basics on defense, get thrown around when trying to defend, have no heart towards rebounding good luck picking Skal. If you’re a GM & pick Skal, than you will be or should be fired immediately.

12. jr1122
    3:16 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

The mock draft must be done by the GM of the 76ers

13. EdC
    7:09 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

Skal should get him a very good, trustworthy money handler (and keep his US guardian out of the mix) if he jumps to the NBA. He can’t possibly stay healthy against NBA big men.

With regard to “no GM is going to waste a high lottery pick on a kid that doesn’t know how to play basketball & will have to spend more than likely at least 3 years in the D League.” it’s kind of too soon to forget Daniel Orton.

14. EdC
    7:17 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

(I know Orton wasn’t a super high fit but VERY high considering what he had done in college.)

15. mobile2
    9:02 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

For the life of me I don’t see how Skal is a top 10 pick let alone a top 5. It’s those team’s money and I don’t really care one way or the other but it makes me wonder just what in the hell they’re seeing that I don’t see. This is proving that all it takes is a kid to get into the high school recruiting rankings high enough and then it almost doesn’t matter what they do in their showcase year at college because they’re gonna get drafted.

Unless his body drastically changes over the next year he’s gonna get murdered in the NBA.

I think we have enough of a sample size to know what we’re dealing with this year with Skal. If this was a place where he stays for 3-4 years it wouldn’t be a big deal. I’m afraid Cal bought a bill of goods with this kid.