KarlTownsAntDavis

Anthony Davis, DeMarcus Cousins, and Team USA play Karl Towns, Eloy Vargas, and the Dominican Republic on Wednesday night, and USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo tells ESPN that the final Team USA roster cuts will come shortly after. The roster is currently at 16, but will be cut to 12 to 13 for the FIBA World Cup in Spain, which starts at the end of the month.

Before his knee injury last week, Boogie’s chances at making the roster looked pretty good, especially after Kevin Durant left the team. Thankfully, an MRI revealed no structural damage, and he’s expected to play tomorrow night. A good performance could erase worries about the minor injury and boost his chances of making the roster.

Meanwhile, I’m excited for another chance to see Karl Towns play with the Dominicans. He flew with them from the Bahamas to New York, and with a few days of rest, it’ll be interesting to see how he fares against some of the best players in the world.

[ESPN]

18 Comments for Final Team USA roster cuts coming after Wednesday’s game against the Dominican Republic

1. gocats1
    12:11 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

Don’t be surprised if Boogie doesn’t make the final cut. I sure hope he does because he is an obvious talent, but his game does not translate to the international game like Plumlee or Davis’ does. With Durant out though he should be on the team.

• Mxyzptlk
      12:21 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

The international game will have to adjust to Boogie, not the other way around! #Forceofnature

• This guy
      1:01 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

Which part of his game doesn’t translate internationally? Maybe I’m missing something, but that just seems to be the standard bs response to why he might get cut.

• theWilkman
      2:51 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

There’s no room for a Center that averages 22 pts 11 rebounds in the international game

2. Nice Hold
    12:14 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

Karl

• Peas and Carrots
      12:59 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

Kaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrllllllllll!

• Rick Grimes
      1:28 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

Caaaaarrrrrlllll.

3. chief_cat
    12:38 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

I keep hearing that Boogie’s game does not translate well to international play because he is a traditional post man. I realize that many international teams have centers that are more athletic and have a polished mid-range game, even able to knock down the occasional three. However, it is interesting that the host Spanish team is picked by many to win the championship and they use their centers in a more traditional style. http://www.marca.com/2014/08/17/en/more_sports/1408293332.html

If Boogie is healthy it would be a mistake to leave him home. He would give us an inside presence and skill set that none of the other Team USA bigs can provide, particularly Mason Plumlee.

• DH
      12:54 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

I watched the USA/Brazil game and really tried to be unbiased and was not impressed with Plumlee AT ALL. Some of my UofL friends say it makes sense to take Plumlee over Boogie because Plumlee is used to playing the backup role and Cousins wouldn’t play well coming off the bench. They admitted that Cousins is a much better player but apparently they think there should be as much of a drop-off in talent between first and second string as humanly possible. They can’t believe I don’t get that and they think I only think Cousins should get the spot over Plumlee because I’m a UK fan. These are generally intelligent bball fans that can appreciate talented players that play for UK. I countered that they only hate Cousins because he made Swopshire his bitch. The conversation didn’t go much further…

4. gocats1
    1:09 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

His game doesn’t translate because we have players like davis and plumlee who are athletic enough to switch and guard smaller players, they also can score from the outside with their jump shot where as boogie scores with his back to the basket. We will probably take him because we need bodies for Spain’s bigs. As for the Gasol’s, they are true international players and score from a variety of places besides underneath the basket.

• CATandMONKEY
      1:41 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

Yeah, Plumlee has just been lighting it up from outside during his NBA career. Davis IS athletic but Plumlee…?

• DS
      2:19 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

Love Boogie but can’t deny he’s a complete liability on D.
      Great Zach Lowe piece from this time one year ago.

• Jim 1
      3:06 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

Did you know Plumlee never scored a single point outside the paint in the NBA last season? Plumlee is no where near the athlete that Boogie is. Boogie is considered by many as one of the top five centers in the NBA, and if coach K picks Plumlee over Boogie it is only because of the Duke connection, PERIOD.

Keep politics out of the selection and pick the best, not your pets. I wish coach Cal could somehow get his thoughts into this mess. Coach K is making a joke out of this.

5. Rei
    1:32 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

Plumlee is not athletic at all though

6. TED
    1:40 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

FOUL!

• Kyle
      6:24 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

I was wondering if anyone else thought that.

7. gocats1
    1:50 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

No, I don’t mean Plumlee’s shooting ability, I mean’t his athletic ability to switch and guard. Watch the NBA and you can’t tell me he is not athletic. Davis can do both obviously.

8. Travis
    6:57 pm August 19, 2014 Permalink

Boogie has a mid-range jumpshot, he has great hands, great feet, and is the only person on the team who can match up with Marc Gasol. I do not understand how he does not fit. Boogie and Davis alongside each other would be an outstanding combo. Davis can guard anybody so it does not matter if he plays the 4 or the 5. I am going to NYC for the game. Does anyone know where i might be able to meet them and get there autographs?