FINAL: Kentucky storms back in second half to beat Vanderbilt 78-64

After falling behind by as many as 14 in the first half, Kentucky was able to storm back in the second and pull off a 78-64 victory over Vanderbilt.

Tyrese Maxey led the Wildcats with 25 points on 10-17 shooting and 3-4 from three to go with four rebounds, two blocks, and two steals.

Immanuel Quickley wasn’t far behind with 18 points on 4-12 shooting, 3-4 from three, and 7-7 from the line. He also added five rebounds, three assists, and a steal.

Nick Richards added 12 points on 6-11 shooting to go with seven rebounds and three blocks, while Ashton Hagans flirted with a triple-double, finishing with 11 points, ten rebounds, and eight assists in the win.

EJ Montgomery finished with six points and nine rebounds, while Keion Brooks Jr. added four points, three rebounds, and a block. Johnny Juzang rounded out all scorers with two points.

As a team, Kentucky shot 47.5% overall and 66.7% from three while Vanderbilt finished the day shooting 37.3% from the field, 39.3% from three, and an abysmal 52.9% from the line.

Check out the entire box score:

Well done, Cats.

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

41 Comments for FINAL: Kentucky storms back in second half to beat Vanderbilt 78-64

1. damage_control
    9:12 pm February 11, 2020 Permalink

I used to suffer through every poor possession, pulling my hair out, yelling at the tv and generally acting like a miserable lunatic during such games. As I’ve gotten older I learned that I’m much happier just changing the channel and tuning back in from time to time to check the score. If they get it close, I’ll watch but if not, I won’t bother. My blood pressure stays much lower not watching them play like crap over extended minutes. If they win I always go back and watch the whole game on dvr to see what I missed. I highly recommend this strategy.

• JohnnyCat
      9:21 pm February 11, 2020 Permalink

You are definitely not alone my friend…lol.

• StillBP
      9:31 pm February 11, 2020 Permalink

I’m a bit similar but not completely. I dvr it, when we play ugly I skip forward a few seconds here and there. And if it gets real bad I’ll watch something else for a bit, but I always pick up where I left off and fast forward when needed. It is less worrisome and I still see almost all of the game.

2. Wild Turkey 101
    9:12 pm February 11, 2020 Permalink

Way to grind!

3. 4everUKBlue
    9:12 pm February 11, 2020 Permalink

So mashbum was laughing at Kentucky fans for making excuses for their performance while he was making excuses for Vanderbilt. How hypocritical is that?

• RealCatsFan
      9:16 pm February 11, 2020 Permalink

Sounds like he crawled back in his hole.

• 4everUKBlue
      9:19 pm February 11, 2020 Permalink

He’s eating that crow….caw caw caw!

• nocode96
      9:30 pm February 11, 2020 Permalink

He’s back in hiding now. Wish he’d just stay there.

• StillBP
      9:33 pm February 11, 2020 Permalink

That’s standard procedure for him

4. RealCatsFan
    9:16 pm February 11, 2020 Permalink

Wow, Hyde meet Jeckyl. Comeback Cats 2.0?

5. RealCatsFan
    9:17 pm February 11, 2020 Permalink

67% from three? Wow! And 4 of 4 in second half.

6. Bluehender
    9:18 pm February 11, 2020 Permalink

Stackhouse badly out coached in the second half by the hall of famer. Cal made adjustments, Stackhouse had no answers. Where are you Wrongeous1??

• 4everUKBlue
      9:20 pm February 11, 2020 Permalink

His face buried deep in mashbum’s ample boosom, tears flowing….

7. Looother
    9:21 pm February 11, 2020 Permalink

Good come-back by the Cats…

8. JohnnyCat
    9:23 pm February 11, 2020 Permalink

Quickley may be the most pleasant surprise of a player improving far more than anticipated in the entire Cal era. His clutch shooting carries this team at times and is infectious.

• Bluehender
      9:46 pm February 11, 2020 Permalink

Love to see them run stuff to get him a shot. But I don’t like to see him drive it to the basket. He has a hard time finishing. It’s OK if he’s drawing fouls, but he couldn’t get a call tonight

9. RealCatsFan
    9:29 pm February 11, 2020 Permalink

Sure is quiet in these comments sections after a win, huh?

10. nocode96
    9:31 pm February 11, 2020 Permalink

We all know that that ain’t the body area they’ve got each other’s face buried into.

• nocode96
      9:31 pm February 11, 2020 Permalink

Response to 4everUKBlue^^^

• 4everUKBlue
      9:41 pm February 11, 2020 Permalink

My bad nocode, I lost my mind for a second

11. nocode96
    9:32 pm February 11, 2020 Permalink

Where are all the people losing their minds during the game thread or the halftime post? Some of y’all are atrocious excuses for fans.

• Bluehender
      9:48 pm February 11, 2020 Permalink

Doesn’t take them long to lose it nocode..

12. RealCatsFan
    9:42 pm February 11, 2020 Permalink

LSU down 8 ro a horrid Mizzou team in 1st half. At home. Guess MashburnFan should have something to say about that!

13. 4everUKBlue
    9:47 pm February 11, 2020 Permalink

I must apologize for calling mashbum names, even though they were fitting. My prayers are with you and Righteous/Slater1 in your moments of pain and sorrow.

14. RealCatsFan
    9:58 pm February 11, 2020 Permalink

You guys should be listening to Leach interviewing Cal. Comedy gold. I hear creaking doors and zippers in the background. Maybe Cal is making ole Wrongeous1 pay up!

15. Han
    10:06 pm February 11, 2020 Permalink

Great play from our big 4, with good support from the rest. Just need to play like the second half for the whole game. We cut the turnovers dramatically in the second half and cranked up the defense.

With Sestina, I wish he could provide some consistent scoring, but like seeing 3 blocks from Nate to go with his assist was a nice surprise. (And only took 1 shot, so his lack of scoring wasn’t killing possessions for us.)

Just keep bringing along EJ, Brooks, Juzang and Sestina, Cal, get Ashton and Tyrese to play under control/not too flashy, and help Nick quit the touch fouls, and we’re golden. Should be solid come March, as usual.

16. Righteous1
    10:18 pm February 11, 2020 Permalink

Well Cal Lovers Wolfpack I see that the assistant coaches for Ambassador Calipari made some good adjustments in the 2nd half! You can do this against a team that has won 1 conference game in 2 yrs but not against good teams!

I noticed that Michigan State is not ranked in the AP 25 this week after being #1 to start the season. Can you name the last time that happened? If you guessed Ambassador Calipari in the 13/14 season, then it would be “Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner!!!!!

In Cal We Trust It’s NBA or Bust!

• 4everUKBlue
      10:28 pm February 11, 2020 Permalink

Finally dried your tears on mashbum’s inseam I see. You spent the entire second half searching for something negative to post and this is the best you could come up with? Loser, Loser Slater’s a boozer.

• 4everUKBlue
      10:29 pm February 11, 2020 Permalink

How’s that crow tasting Righteous/Slater1?

• Bluehender
      10:35 pm February 11, 2020 Permalink

Yeah Michigan St has been on a free fall ever since we spanked their a$$es to start the season Wrongeous1. Cal made adjustments and took your boy Stackhouse to the woodshed. He had no answers. Hope you’re able to sleep tonight…not

• 4everUKBlue
      11:22 pm February 11, 2020 Permalink

Bluehender careful mentioning spanking, you might get Righteous/Slater1 or Wrongous1 turned on.

17. CJKAssassin123
    10:22 pm February 11, 2020 Permalink

The Ball handling was way better tonight than it has been the last few games that’s for damn sure.

18. Righteous1
    10:37 pm February 11, 2020 Permalink

We shall see Cal Lovers Wolfpack about the crying in the next month! I can hardly wait to go on the attack!!!!!

• 4everUKBlue
      11:00 pm February 11, 2020 Permalink

Try to keep your panties on Righteous/Slater1 and plenty of Maxey pads….lol

• ClutchCargo
      12:19 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

How does it feel to be out-fanned by VirginiaCat, Dipshit1? lol.

• StillBP
      6:53 am February 12, 2020 Permalink

if this is what you have to look forward to, your life is more sad than I even imagined. Thoughts and prayers for you, Wrongous1

19. VirginiaCat
    11:03 pm February 11, 2020 Permalink

I was at the game tonight and, although I enjoyed the second half immensely, I particularly enjoyed the presence of so many other Cat fans. It is special to go to an opponents venue and see a sea of blue. Congrats to the Cats for a come-from-behind win and congrats to the BBN for … being the best fan base in college basketball.