Fate Intervenes in the NCAA Tournament

Sometimes, it’s just not meant to be. That’s the life John Calipari has lived as a college basketball coach.

“I’m sick right now,” he said on Monday night’s call-in show. “We picked a game against a team we had beaten twice that probably their best player went down and we have been the best free throw shooting team that I’ve had here, and we couldn’t make a free throw.  We have been a team that did not turn it over. It was hard when you’re getting grabbed because you’re going to lose those balls sometimes. But still, fate intervenes sometimes.”

Call it fate. Call it randomness. Whatever you want to call it in the NCAA Tournament, the same applies in all walks of life.

“In this world that we live in, you don’t really fool anybody. You’ve got to earn, you’ve got to take what you want, you’ve got to compete, you’ve got to pick yourself up when things happen. Fate works against you,” Calipari said.

While we dwell on the times fate took our Wildcats out of the NCAA Tournament, it’s also kept them in it.

“Sometimes it’s really good, like Aaron Harrison making those threes. It intervenes in a good way. Sometimes it’s bad, but how you respond to that is life. That’s real.”

Some days the ball just isn’t bouncing UK’s way. Even so, Calipari knows it’s his job to help his team win regardless of the circumstance. He enjoys the daily challenge and embraces the lofty expectations.

“I understand there are people who think we should win every game and win the national title every year. What I come back to is, let’s be up at bat every year. Let’s be involved with every good player, but guess what, we don’t get ’em all. The ones that come here are the ones that should come here. You know what? I can tell you being at Kentucky is like no other,” he said. “It really matters to people.”

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

15 Comments for Fate Intervenes in the NCAA Tournament

1. Larkin123
    8:31 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Destiny…. I guess your right… let me know when the Gods favor us…

Please bring Jobu some chicken so I can hit a curve ball!

• mj4uk
      9:22 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Is very bad to steal Jobu’s Rum….is very bad.

2. Kyceltsfan
    8:43 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

If by “fate” you mean 4 players with three fouls or more playing perfect defense for 8 plus minutes in a game then yeah I’ll buy it. I think I would rather stick with another phrase that suits my state of mind better and that is “getting rooked”

• makebasketballplays
      8:47 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Stop making excuses. The refs called more fouls on auburn then they did us. We just flat out choked

• Kyceltsfan
      9:18 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

I don’t disagree with you we played horrible down tbe stretch. Again you can’t tell me though that any of those players in foul trouble decided to D up the right way. The gameplan was clearly to get the ball down on the block and foul them out.

• mashburnfan1
      9:15 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

makeplays you must be new, every loss all the fans on KSR blame the refs. Funny with 8 minutes left Auburn had been called for 8 fouls and UK 3 yet many last night stated they called every touch by UK. The FR were just not good enough, plain and simple. We had some veteran leadership, which any team must have to win a title, just not enough talent around it like we did in 2012. Of course we had it all in 2015 and could not win it so who knows.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:43 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Win or lose I believe 99.999999% of all KSR denizens, UK fans, BBN members, and rational human beings can all agree –

mash

STFU

3. sickofit1996
    8:49 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

If “getting rooked” means Tyler getting picked on cause he couldn’t guard anyone then yeah I’ll go with that. Tired of the excuses it comes down to cal leaving him in that situation!

• Kyceltsfan
      9:24 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

The biggest thing I hang on Cal in the game was not putting EJ or Nick back in to try and combat harper getting easy layups in the paint. PJ needed a rest.

4. BLUE WHITE
    8:57 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Any of you guys that have Instagram I suggest you check out the video Evan Daniels posted on Instagram. He gets it

5. KYJelly
    8:57 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

He’s right and anyone still arguing are bitter about the loss (I understand). Matt said it on the radio, does anyone really think that the best four teams remain? Should we have been in the title game in 2014? Should UConn had been there with us? Things happen, it sucks, but we will reload and try again next year. GO BIG BLUE

• makeitstop
      9:05 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

True. But honestly 8 of the best 10-12 teams made the EE bc there were so few crazy upsets and it was well seeded… and it was like the Breeders Cup, literally anyone could win. All really good deserving teams. We were one FT or hook shot or open 3 away.

6. makeitstop
    9:01 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Please god, stop blaming Cal, the Refs…. we missed free throws. We’re a good FT shooting team. It wasn’t the Russians. It wasn’t the Refs. It wasn’t Cal. We just missed shots or we would’ve won. I think Cal has developed better perspective and self awareness than our most extreme BBN members. Glad he’ll be here for awhile.

7. Wildcat Sheli
    7:39 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Something I didn’t realize at first is that Auburn was not called for a foul in the final 9:18 of regulation. Go figure!?!?! Anyone watching the game knows how physical it was. Head scratcher, for sure.

8. drbigblue
    9:46 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Fate yes, but please tell me why teams we play get easy layups….. and so many times, our players turn the ball over trying to go up the middle for one???
    Turnovers, plays run over and over does not take a genius to defend. Our offense game plan is so easy to read. Just look at the low scores.