Fan Favorite Results: You all really, really like Tyler Herro

Big Blue Nation has spoken.

Tyler Herro is the fan favorite following the team’s four games in the Bahamas.

Herro won our fan poll by an overwhelming margin, taking over half of the votes from the response. The freshman scoring machine received 4,077 of the 7,398 votes placed, almost 3,000 more than the next closest vote getter.

Here are the full results from the poll:

Tyler Herro 55% (4,077)
Keldon Johnson 16% (1,180)
P.J. Washington 10% (739)
Nick Richards 5% (404)
Ashton Hagans 3% (217)
Reid Travis 3% (217)
Quade Green 2% (160)
Immanuel Quickley 2% (115)
Jonny David 1% (102)
Jemarl Baker 1% (94)
Brad Calipari 1% (61)
EJ Montgomery 0% (32)

I can’t say I’m surprised Herro took the top spot, but to receive 55 percent of the votes? That’s impressive given the amount of talent on the roster.

Article written by Drew Franklin

66 Comments for Fan Favorite Results: You all really, really like Tyler Herro

1. RackEmWillie
    1:41 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

It feels like he has more of a chip on his shoulder, and that’s something UK fans seem to really be into.

2. catsfan1995
    1:56 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

Because he’s white lol

• Luether
      2:06 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

You MUST be a Democ Rat…

• UKfaninTX
      2:33 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

You must be a retard ican

• katfan33
      3:17 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

What the hell does that even mean?

• catsfan1995
      8:57 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

You’re naïve if you don’t believe him being white played a factor in the voting lol just like the Barker and Johnson debate. Love Herro as well but cmon now.

• BluesBrother
      3:01 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

Very true catsfan

• RexRox
      11:16 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

kinda like luke hancock maybe?

3. BluemanGreen
    1:57 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

Pretty sure its because he’s white and actually good lol Basically the equivalent of a unicorn these days

• RexRox
      11:17 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

kinda like luke hancock maybe?

4. tree_gardener
    2:20 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

He’s white

• RexRox
      11:17 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

kinda like luke hancock maybe?

5. Kat4Life
    2:26 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

I think before this year’s over we will ALL be liking Keldon Johnson a lot more…….

• Angelo
      3:26 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

Absolutely true!! KJ will be the next MJ!!! Brillant kid! Great defender! Can score at will!

• CombatMedic_98
      8:02 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

Sorry. Herro won’t sit the bench for this Coach.

6. CatFan-n-volcountry
    2:34 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

I think this team is really going to be fun to watch, with shooters, athleticism, attitude, speed and energy.
    Herro reminds me of Jeff Sheppard a little, the way he moves sometimes and his jumper.

7. Tom Bombadil
    2:34 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

It is sickening that several people here commenting can only see someones race. Yup its 2018…and they actually post telling us thats all they see. Idiot race baitors! Has nothing to do that he was underrated…or that he is a legit 100% gunslinger. People love an underdog. People love gunslingers…ala monk, j. murray, shephard, ramel bradley,givens, chapman. Yet herro seems to have a quicker trigger finger. Lol. Maybe its something besides race.

• plumloopy
      3:27 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

He’s good *and* white. It’s not that all voters are influenced by the latter, but 55% of all the votes? Come on.

8. Optional Facts
    2:44 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

Nailed it… I voted for him because he is a smooth operator. Seems to be in complete control when he has the ball. Also you have to love the long ball, I see him shooting some Trey Young deep threes.

9. BBN_strive_4_9
    2:57 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

Why are y’all making this a race thing

• Wade
      5:05 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

People are stupid… I heard today at a prep school they have a no long hair policy and it states it in the rules a black kid had dreads and they told him he can’t come back… the dad got mad and said they were racist but rules are rules for white and black .some people always quick to blame others. Herro is a shooter and has many skills 15/15 at the line also and we missed all that last yr. the boy is great and he needs to be recognized…plus he’s white and I’m proud and excited bc I’m white so sue me.

• Wade
      5:37 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

I did vote Keldon as our best player so don’t call me racist I just understand basketball and the cats needed Herro badly and Reid. All are totally different with dif roles.

• Luether
      8:01 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

Because Democ Rats are racist…

• 4everUKblue
      8:36 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

Luether I don’t like you regardless of your race. You are an idiot!

10. You Can Call Me Cal
    3:02 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

Implicit bias. Look it up.

• Bluebloodtoo
      3:35 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

Really? I mean i agree that there is still a racial element in society, and that it needs to change… But anytime a white person wins a vote then it must be racial because whites are the majority. That’s just ridiculous.

• You Can Call Me Cal
      4:17 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

Look, I’m not saying that’s the only reason he’s getting votes, but he wasn’t 3x as fun to watch as the next guy. Clearly he’s a real player and has got skills. I loved what he showed. Quade Green is my favorite, but Herro might be second. And, if he weren’t white, he may still be a majority of people’s favorite player and won the vote, but not to the degree that he has in this poll. Maybe you don’t think it factored into YOUR vote, but look up implicit bias and get back to me.

• Bluebloodtoo
      8:47 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

I did look it up, before i responded. I agree that implicit bias is a thing, and since it applies to everything and everyone, then it applies here. But I’m not thinking it applies to the degree that warrants calling it out, especially since it applies to everyone and everything.

• wyatts1
      6:05 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

Dumbazz, look it up, STOP MAKING IT A RACE THING I’m tired of hearing the BS. The poll was taken and there is the results, don’t like it then fine, but why try and degrade all or some of our fan base due to your lame views on race relations. Herro deserves the praise, he put in the work and he shined during those games so please for everyone’s sake, give it a rest already and enjoy KSR and it’s articles.

• RexRox
      11:20 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

who cares why??

11. david8577
    3:03 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

This team is so much more than just Herro.

• plumloopy
      3:28 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

Think of how ridiculous that comment would sound even one week ago…

• RexRox
      11:21 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

who cares why??

12. bigblue2284
    3:34 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

Could care less about race he could be green for all I care. The kid has the most explosive scoring ability so far on the team. A great team needs a guy who can get you a bucket when you need one, last years team didn’t have that guy unless you count Knox but he wasn’t a gunner. I respect great defense and rebounding but scoring is the point of the game and fans love it.

13. MadScientist
    3:34 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

Nothing against Herro, he looks like a great scorer and this team is full of fun and athletic players. Picking one just seems wrong. But Keldon Johnson impressed me the most! He reminds me of MKG, but more polished offensively, his motor doesn’t stop!

• Angelo
      7:49 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

MJ!! Keldon is going to be a superstar!! Cal knows what he is doing!!

14. kuhlkat
    3:36 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

Matt liberal white guilt Jones keeps pushing the narrative that UK fans love Herro because he is white. That along with slobbering over Tiger Woods and denigrating Jack Nicklaus. He just cant contain his liberalism.

• You Can Call Me Cal
      4:23 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

Why is him liking Tiger wood and denigrating Jack Nicklaus a liberal stance? Are you equating liking black people to being liberal and looking white people to being conservative? Could it just be that he’s younger and grew up liking and watching Tiger?

• henderblue
      4:42 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

Kuhl at an obvious idiot and yes Drew is younger and grew up watching and liking Tiger. Lots of people did. I was pulling for him last weekend and I grew up watching Jack. I like them both. It’s possible…

15. ukbradstith
    3:45 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

Of course he got 55% because he’s good AND white. There is no debate about that. I don’t give a crap about politics, not the least bit racist either way, but its just true. And that’s okay, because it’s just an internet poll, with no significance on anyone’s life.

• RexRox
      11:25 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

EVERYONE says they “don’t give a crap about politics, not the least bit racist either way” and most are are lying. On both sides of the fence.

16. jtkyguy
    3:52 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

Plenty of room temp IQ having Libs here I see! The essence of their lives is identity politics. Pathetic bunch of Govt worshipers.

• rabblerabblerabble
      4:47 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

Mr. jtkyguy, what you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

• Bluebloodtoo
      8:49 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

Anyone ever heard of stereotyping? Cuz that’s definitely gong on here.

• jagard3
      8:30 am August 16, 2018 Permalink

Lol @ rabble good reference

17. henderblue
    4:08 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

Congratulations Drew. Click city and the knuckleheads are out in force spewing race and politics.. I can’t think of one player I don’t like. But I’m not a fan of Brad Calipari tucking the legs of his shorts and then worrying about how he looks when he’s out there on the court trying to guard somebody. I don’t like cold weather but I gotta admit, I’m looking forward to November. Go Cats

18. KentuckyT
    4:09 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

Love political discussions in the comments section of a sports website. You dusty old farts should keep it to facebook. No one came to this site to read about politics.

• You Can Call Me Cal
      4:20 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

Don’t read the comments section then. Do people come to the website to read the articles or the comments?

• henderblue
      4:36 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

Both

• KentuckyT
      4:52 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

Sometimes I like to read the comments to see what other people think about the program and our players. I could care less about random politically charged outbursts and name calling that detract from what this website is supposed to be about…sports.

• You Can Call Me Cal
      5:10 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

Well until KSR starts paying the commentors, we are free to post whatever we want. Don’t like it? Don’t read it. If it’s hate speech, the moderators can take down the post. They own the blog and can do whatever they see fit with the comments. Otherwise, free speech shall reign in this free country…. And since when is taking about someone’s race a political comment? If I’m not mistaken, politics deals with stuff about the government. A player’s skin color doesn’t really have much to do with that, does it?

• jaws2
      4:59 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

KentuckyT you must be a very infrequent visitor here. KSR has post on a regular basis that are politically motivated and typically always left leaning. The entire staff is left leaning including ‘der’ leader.
      Oh, and every time there’s a post clearly in that direction the chicken shi+s ALWAYS block the comments section.
      Heaven forbid there be an alternative opinion. The leftist LOVE the first amendment, until an opinion differs from theres. I’ll wait for delraycat in 3,2,1……..

19. playmorezeppelin
    4:11 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

Tyler was the leading scorer through four games, hit every free throw he took, shot 44% from three, and didn’t make any notable mistakes, but no you’re right people just voted for him because he’s white. Yes, you nailed it; when asked who their favorite player was after watching the games, people were only able to pick which player was their favorite race.

• check
      5:57 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

I voted for Herro for his stellar performance. When the chips are down, I count on him more than any other player. He showed the most consistency through the four games. I can’t say that about any other player. He walked into his first four games as a Wildcat and owned it every time. If the others are voting on skin color that’s their business. But Herro demonstrated he’s the man, and if you didn’t vote for him, you were liking something or someone else. I see a kid who shoots free throws like Kyle Macy and who can score with the best. Limiting this kid’s minutes could work against the win. I’m a fan of each player on this team, but Herro shows he can perform despite anything. I’m not surprised he won.

20. You Can Call Me Cal
    4:25 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

Drew has KSR done this poll in past years? Wonder of any player has ever won by the margin Tyler did….

21. Matt10
    4:44 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

I’m going to share a secret. There are many races. They each have unique qualities that distinguish them. It’s fargin OK to celebrate and comment on the differences. It’s a fact more blacks excell at basketball. There are many reasons. It’s a fact there are not as many whites excelling. Also many reasons. It’s ok to celebrate Tyler breaking the assumptions, just like it’s ok for the black hockey player doing the same. Of course the majority of white fans are gonna love the awesome white kid. Big fargin deal. Bears crap in woods, too.

• babbus
      7:53 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

Brilliant. My opinion exactly. Commented to the same effect below

22. RealCatsFan
    5:28 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

Too hard for me to pick a favorite on this team. I like them all! Let’s just sit back and enjoy the ride, people.

23. Memphis UK Cat
    5:41 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

I look at blue and white and we sure as heck need shooters after last year. My vote was based on four games and he looked the best. My second vote was going to Nick Richards. Wow did he look good.

24. PantiesInABundle
    6:12 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

PK Subban is super popular for a reason. He’s really good. And he doesn’t fit the “mold.” Same thing as Herro. Nothing wrong with liking that. I’m sure things will change once the season gets going and a guy like Shai/Knox/Murray/Monk/Fox steps up as the team’s best player or emotional leader (I’m looking at you, KJ).

We’d like a Kentucky boy over a California boy, too. Doesn’t make us xenophobes.

25. BBNJeffrey
    7:31 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

I voted for KJ, I love watching both. But I think KJ is going to be the MVP of this extraordinary group of talented young men.

26. babbus
    7:50 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

I think race is definitely involved, doesn’t mean it’s a hateful thing. Black people loved Black Panther more intensely because the industry is dominated by white characters. I don’t begrudge that feeling. Why can’t white people root more intensely for a white player in a sport dominated by blacks?

27. rlburd2
    8:01 pm August 15, 2018 Permalink

Site going downhill. Call me crazy but I give it 3 years. Hope I’m wrong but that’s how I see it.

28. jagard3
    8:38 am August 16, 2018 Permalink

I voted for Quade. If I’m being honest it was kinda, sorta because I feel bad for him. He is an excellent player and one of the few good players that we get back for a second year and in spite of that, I have a suspicion that he will get buried on the bench