Fan complains about Brad Calipari in horrible letter to newspaper

angry-fan

The Herald-Leader shared a letter to the editor from a bitter Kentucky basketball fan who isn’t too pleased with Brad Calipari’s spot on the team next year.

Darrell G. Gross of Lexington wrote, “If Brad Calpari plays even one minute as a walk-on freshman, it would be the absolute worst of the worst for his father, and prove that the coach’s name means more than UK – $7.5 million more.” He questions how Coach Cal “has the gall” to let his son walk on.

Gross’ letter is, with all due respect, the dumbest opinion I’ve read in a long time. What’s wrong with Brad Calipari joining the team? He’s not taking a scholarship away from anyone. If anything, his place on the bench secures John Calipari’s place on the bench for another four years.

And yeah, maybe Brad isn’t quite the caliber of player worthy of substantial playing time at UK, but he’s just as good or better than any of the other walk-ons Cal has had in Lexington. Remember: Jarrod Polson was considering Liberty when he accepted a walk-on spot at Kentucky. Gross named an offer from Liberty as one of the reasons he is opposed to Brad; he pointed out that Brad had only two offers, Liberty being one of them.

Brad won’t be the first walk-on to play for his father at a major program, either. This isn’t some stunt Coach Cal drew up to “prove the Calipari name means more than UK.” Bill Self’s son, Tyler, will be a senior at Kansas next year and he is terrible. He averaged three points per game as a senior in high school. Was that the “absolute worst of the worst” for Bill Self? No. No one cares.

I hope the majority of the fan base will welcome Brad with open arms. Darrell G. Gross may be a decent person, but his letter to the Herald-Leader is garbage. It’s stupid. It was a waste of his time and the Herald-Leader’s ink.

Don’t be like Darrell G. Gross.

Read his entire letter here to feel better about yourself.

Who does he expect to walk on anyway???

And who still writes letters to a newspaper??? It’s 2016.

Article written by Drew Franklin

31 Comments for Fan complains about Brad Calipari in horrible letter to newspaper

1. WatchutalkinboutWillis
    2:45 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

I don’t know the man personally…but I will say…this is a really dumb thing to be fired up about. I like that Brad will be on the team next year.

2. blueboots
    2:50 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

We love Brad and will be honored to have him at U.K.

3. Sarahvah
    2:50 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

Op eds are almost always stupid to begin with. Just check out what gets written on kentucky.com for example.

Also, who wouldn’t attend UK over Liberty? What’s the problem here? Jonny David got some playing time this year, and Sam Malone got a bit of playing time over his first year or two here. Donovan and Self both had sons who walked on at their schools too.

4. DrSayre
    2:51 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

Too bad Cal didnt name his son Saul…

5. jkmann1
    2:55 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

My advice to this guy would get a ****ing life.

6. nybrasky
    2:55 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

My first thought was, Tipton must have made this up, but a quick search of the Google shows that this clown exists.

My second thought was – it’s not like he’ll be keeping guys like Chris Duhon from coming to UK.

I look forward to Brad lighting it up in garbage time, but not til after EJ attempts a ridiculous dunk and Johnny David gets his shots up. He’s gotta follow walk-on seniority.

• Booby Petrino
      2:58 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

oops I guess I should’ve read your comment before mine below lol. I just assumed it was really Tipturd.

7. Realme
    2:56 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

I hope there’s not a lot of people named Darrell Gross in Lexington, because it would suck to be mistaken for this guy.

8. Chaz
    2:57 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

There are times when a comment doesn’t rate a reply. This is one such.

9. Booby Petrino
    2:57 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

No one writes letters to newspapers anymore. Darrell Gross = Jerry Tipton using a different name.

10. 3 fan
    3:03 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

Hasn’t that guy wrote letters blasting Cal and how much $$ he makes before?

11. Mc12
    3:04 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

You can’t fix stupid.

12. Rick_S
    3:14 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

why give this idiot more press

13. JerryDamage
    3:16 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

Yeah! I mean who wants to keep Cal here for another 4 years! Bring back Billy! He did it the “right”way!

Or you know, we could keep Cal here for another 4 years, and you know, have a shot at a title EVERY single year. To each their own though Darrell….

14. secrick
    3:17 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

I’m not saying this guy is stupid but his opinion about this is.

15. Second Chance 50
    3:21 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

Adolph – Herky; Eddie – Sean; Tubby – Saul.

16. ukcat_67
    3:29 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

This should come as no surprise to anyone. John Calipari announced at his introductory press conference in 2009 that he already had a commitment from a 12 year old to come to UK.

A reporter asked about recruits and Calipari replied,

“We already have a commitment with a 12 year old. Stand up, 12 year old (Brad Calipari). As you see him, he can really shoot. Little bit like Richie Farmer. Can really shoot. We’re going to have to play zone, and we will, ’cause he will play. You don’t want to be in his position if you’re on my team.”

I would be more disappointed if he didn’t bring his son on as a walk-on. I can’t believe this is even an issue. We are talking about a walk-on. Any parent would do the same.

17. G_Money
    3:32 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

To Darrell G. Gross: You are a punk. A loser. I would very much enjoy the opportunity to kick your worthless ass.
    Sincerely,
    Gary

• CATandMONKEY
      3:52 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

Gary, I suspect you would enjoy unwielding support from most of BBN. Carry on.

18. catheaven
    3:33 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

Typical Herald Leader to print such cr*p. Why do they even still exist? I mean, come on, what home town newspaper doesn’t support it’s biggest sports team? Boycott the dang thing!

19. BK
    3:35 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

Gross. The guy has the right last name to describe his attitude. This guy must not have a son. If he does, I don’t see how he can say such a thing. As a father, I can’t think of a more meaningful experience for Cal and Brad to share. Cal is liking grooming his son to be a coach, or at the very least seizing an opportunity to help him prepare for adult life. It is unbelievable that this idiot can construe this as something that is an affront to him. The Herald Leader should have never printed this article. They are just trying to stir the pot. I want to see this Gross guy sit down at a table with Cal and tell him to his face.

20. Sentient Third Eye
    3:52 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

I wonder if Tipton invented this guy like that crazy complaining woman last year?

21. Hooplehead
    3:56 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

This says more about the Herald Leader…

22. Mathlete
    4:06 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

Wonder if he complained as loudly when Richard Pitino was still coaching with his dad?

23. WIN
    4:31 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

Must have had too many oxycontins when he wrote that, cause he obviously is either on drugs or one of the dumbest human beings alive.

24. Badboy
    4:53 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

This guy’s letter has no point. As everyone (but him) recognizes, Brad is not taking up a scholarship. So what if he plays for his dad???

25. CPACAT
    5:12 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

Darrel G. Gross did accomplish one thing that no one in the history of KSR ever has done – every single commentor AGREES on something, namely that his position is ridiculous…that takes talent!

26. Bluebloodtoo
    5:16 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

Sounds like leftover angst from when Saul Smith was UK PG….

No case to back up his position. Not worth the time he took to write it.

27. Loother
    6:40 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

Sounds like a Burney Zanders supporter…

28. W.C.
    8:43 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

Does anyone think the great Adolph Rupp would have had the gall to let his son on his team as a walk-on, if he were not good enough to warrant any scholarship offers? Well, he did. Herky was on the team 1959 to 1962. He got in 14 games and had a career total of 11 points while making 3 of 10 field goal attempts 5 of 5 free throw attempts. In the past 85 years there have been only three UK head coaches who did not have a son on his team. Neither of them had a son of the age to have done so. f

29. cats paw
    10:34 pm April 25, 2016 Permalink

I do not appreciate you sharing my name on this website with out my permission! You shall here from my lawyers soon enough, Mr. Jones!!!