Everything Calipari said and didn’t say about the Yahoo report

Everyone tuned into John Calipari’s press conference hoping he would say something about the Yahoo Sports report that dropped this morning, but with the help of Deputy Director of Athletics DeWayne Peevy, Cal stuck to the script. Peevy prefaced the media opportunity — held every day before a game — by saying that the school has no additional information regarding the report other than the statements they released this morning. As you might imagine, that didn’t stop reporters from trying.

Here’s a transcript of the first few minutes, followed by a video:

Peevy: “Coach Calipari is here today to talk about tomorrow’s game vs. Missouri. If you don’t have any questions about that, we can let him go to practice. Once again, we don’t have any additional information other than what we provided to you earlier in the statement. We’ll make Coach Calipari available for you now.”

Kyle Tucker: “Is there anything you can say about the story, your reaction?”

Calipari: “I know nothing more than what you guys know and that’s why there is no reason for me to speak on it. You guys know what I know.”

Reporter: “Is there any concern about eligibility?”

Calipari: “Not –“

Peevy: “As I said, we have no additional information other than what we shared. If we have anything more, we’ll make sure we communicate that to you.”

Alan Cutler: “Cal, without saying what you can’t say — [Cal looks at Peevy] Hang on, just give me a second.”

Calipari: “Go ahead, go ahead. Run me down. Go ahead.”  [If you didn’t catch that, it was a reference to Cutler chasing down Billy Gillispie]

Cutler: “Without saying what you can’t say, just emotionally speaking, you have to be disappointed with this crap coming out.”

Calipari: “I mean, yeah. For all of basketball, this stuff. Yeah. But again, the statement I made is from me, where we stand on this and how I feel about it.”

Reporter: “Have you had a chance to talk to Kevin about this?”

Calipari: “No.”

Peevy: “Do you have any questions about the game tomorrow, Missouri?”

Reporter: Will Kevin play tomorrow?

Calipari: “At this point, I believe so. If there’s something I don’t know” [Looks at Peevy]

Peevy: “Like I said, once again, there’s nothing additional to what you already know.”

Lyndsey Gough: “Is this a distraction for your team?”

Calipari: “I don’t even know. I haven’t met with them yet so I don’t know.”

Reporter: “When you see this kind of attention –“

Calipari: “Any Missouri questions?”

It was hard not to notice how sweaty Calipari was, to the point he brought it up himself a few minutes later.

“I just got done working out, guys. That’s why I’m sweaty.”

Watch for yourself below:

[mobile_ad]

26 Comments for Everything Calipari said and didn’t say about the Yahoo report

1. henderblue
    3:25 pm February 23, 2018 Permalink

Is North Carolina involved in this? Anybody know??

• Atg2112
      3:47 pm February 23, 2018 Permalink

Yes…they are named too. At this point, it will be easier to say who is NOT involved. These kids and their family deserve to make money off of their likeness and talent. This is what happens when you stifle their ability to provide for their family and for the future. All of us would do the same thing, especially when were teenagers.

2. 502CodeRed
    3:28 pm February 23, 2018 Permalink

I don’t know why I keep on believing you need me
    When you’ve proved so many times that it ain’t true
    And I can’t find one good reason for staying
    Maybe by leaving would be the best for you
    But these rose colored glasses
    That I’m looking through
    Show only the beauty
    ‘Cause they hide all the truth
    And they let me hold on to the good times, good lines
    The ones I used to hear when I held you
    And they keep me from feeling so cheated, defeated
    When reflections in your eyes show me a fool
    These rose colored glasses
    That I’m looking through
    Show only the beauty
    ‘Cause they hide all the truth

• catsarerunnin
      3:33 pm February 23, 2018 Permalink

That Pitino’s confession to his priest?

• 502CodeRed
      3:41 pm February 23, 2018 Permalink

I know I know, Saint Calipari didn’t know anything about this. Let the denial begin. He’s probably on the phone with Pitino right now “What do we do now, Rick?”

• Booby Petrino
      3:45 pm February 23, 2018 Permalink

It’s sad for you that you’ve waited 9 years and this is all you have. Hilarious over here! Still so mad about your banner coming down huh? Poor lilcode!

• runningunnin.454
      3:52 pm February 23, 2018 Permalink

Sounds like CodeRed and his sister are getting a divorce.

• 502CodeRed
      3:54 pm February 23, 2018 Permalink

You mad, lil boobs?
      What’s really sad is if you go back to Adolf Rupp’s point saving scandal and then Chris Mills getting paid and Eric Manuel cheating on his ACT, UK makes UofL look like Saints. And I didn’t even mention the UK football team and the little Vegas trip and the strippers. No,what’s really sad is you actually thought a tiger can change it’s stripes. Yall are as dirty as they come. Busted, now own it.

• pancakesfordinner
      3:56 pm February 23, 2018 Permalink

I love how code red is trying to say “haha you got caught doing the same thing we were doing.” It makes a big difference when there’s audio of your coach asking for the payments to be made. From everything that’s come out Cal has no knowledge of this stuff and doesn’t even like the guy.

• Booby Petrino
      3:56 pm February 23, 2018 Permalink

Lol runnin! I think lilcode is depressed. It must really sting to be a fan of the only team to ever vacate a NCAA basketball championship. Louisville first… To vacate a championship. Cheer up, lil guy, life is bigger than sports.

• Booby Petrino
      4:00 pm February 23, 2018 Permalink

Oh man, lilcode is worse off than i thought. He’s reaching back over 40 years to make himself feel better about the present. Someone put this kid on suicide watch

• 502CodeRed
      4:03 pm February 23, 2018 Permalink

pancakes – Ineligible is ineligible.

• 4everUKblue
      4:33 pm February 23, 2018 Permalink

CodeRedNeck is an expert on ineligible.

• 4everUKblue
      4:36 pm February 23, 2018 Permalink

Don’t be mad Code, dry your tears, your program will be back up to speed in…oh say 10 or 15 yrs….LMAO!

• lexslamman
      4:40 pm February 23, 2018 Permalink

Wait a minute. didn’t UofL buy underage hookers for underage recruits? UK may have some questionable ethics in our past, but we’re not a bunch of disgusting, sick freaks. Get back in your cave, troll.

3. meeksfor3
    3:39 pm February 23, 2018 Permalink

So Peavey says only questions about Missou and every question was about the FBI and nothing on Missouri. Sounds like reporters follow instructions like my wifes 1st grade class.

4. oruacat2
    3:59 pm February 23, 2018 Permalink

Calipari needs to get a handle on this and get to the bottom of it. The more he claims ignorance and dodges the questions the more guilty he looks. YOU run this team, Cal, not the players – not Kevin Knox. Ask him if this story is true and either publicly stand behind his answer or kick him off the team – either way it’s you who face the consequences of your decision and his response.

• jaws2
      4:19 pm February 23, 2018 Permalink

Let’s just say for the sake of it that the issue with Knox is true. If so, by NCAA ‘laws’, if the kid had lunch with this guy and it’s under $200, all he has to do is pay it back to a charity and sit a game or two out. John Wall fell under the same deal. I’m really not concerned about Knox.

• bankerbh
      4:30 pm February 23, 2018 Permalink

Seems like it could make for a very awkward situation for Kevin Knox to have to answer to his teammates. Usually this type of news comes out long after athlete is finished playing. If you are Kevin’s teammate, are you pissed that he could affect the season or it is clouding their focus?

5. bankerbh
    4:26 pm February 23, 2018 Permalink

Unfortunately for the program, Cal doesn’t have to know the agent or have directed any player to the agent. If the athlete took impermissible money or benefits from an agent or agency that will come back to haunt the university they attended. Would be interested in knowing how long most of the players stayed at their school to possible get the school ineligible. Let em go pro as soon as the NBA wants them. Clean up college.

• jaws2
      4:39 pm February 23, 2018 Permalink

If it’s UNDER $200 it doesn’t mean SQUAT!!!

6. unbridled
    5:05 pm February 23, 2018 Permalink

If Knox took money this season is already ineligible so why sit him now?

• jaws2
      6:09 pm February 23, 2018 Permalink

From Above:

He’s not ineligible! If it’s UNDER $200 it doesn’t mean SQUAT!!!

This particular type of incident happens ALL the time in college basketball and the NCAA has ALREADY set a precedent for the penalty years ago! Forget about Knox.

7. trujustin
    5:58 pm February 23, 2018 Permalink

I love Cal, but Kentucky really needs to be open and upfront . Pretending ithe report doesn’t exist is a bad look.

8. catfan7379
    10:38 pm February 23, 2018 Permalink

deja vu, marcus camby and umass. we know how that turned out. Lets hope that 2012 banner gets to stick around.