Eternity of waiting for draft decisions is almost over for BBN

IMG_0926-2

Only a short two weeks have passed since the completion of the basketball season, yet it seems like it has been an eternity of waiting for the players to announce their decisions for the fans. Sadly, we still have a week to go before the deadline to declare for the draft.

What seems like an eternity for fans feels like a mere few hours for the players. The short time they have to make their decisions is not an easy one spent. It’s obvious they are not taking this decision lightly. While a lot of NBA prospects announced right away they would be declaring for the draft, many of UK’s NBA prospects have taken their time to make the decision, some even have gone home to visit their families to talk it over.

All this waiting has turned out to be a bigger tease than us having to wait for Matt Elam to make his college decision. Especially with tweets like this which make it seem like they might be leaning to coming back.

One thing we must remember is that we cannot look at the decisions these players make in a negative light, even though the decisions might affect Kentucky. Coach Cal runs a program that focuses on putting players first and we should do the same.

This is just all part of the process of ‘Succeed and Proceed’, as painful as it might be.

@Sealey_KSR

Article written by Courtney Hessler

Ashley Judd is my spirit animal. Follow me on twitter at: @Hessler_KSR

30 Comments for Eternity of waiting for draft decisions is almost over for BBN

1. Jrod
    7:08 pm April 19, 2014 Permalink

Why in the world would you think that tweet made it sound like Randle is leaning toward coming back? Why in the world would you have had any hope of Randle coming back in the first place?

2. rockatao
    7:09 pm April 19, 2014 Permalink

what about randle’s tweet makes it seem anyone is leaning toward returning?

3. John Ellis
    7:18 pm April 19, 2014 Permalink

With some time to reflect, UK lost to UConn because Julius had a panic attack, had to come out, and by time he got a hold of it UK was down 30-15. They outplayed UConn from that point on, obviously, but it won’t be unnoticed by NBA teams about to put down big money and he might drop a lot in the draft (his cramps all year might have been part of this too). Another year to get over that and demonstrate it’s no factor would be the reason he would come back. That he hasn’t declared means maybe he’s thinking about that. He could be the overall #1 pick next year.

• Dr, Smith
      8:07 pm April 19, 2014 Permalink

John Ellis, cite your authority in re Panic Attack.

We’d seen the UL game in DEC 2013 wherein the explanation for riding the bench was: Cramps.

And, we’d seen that JR had twisted an ankle prior to tip off against UCON in the Final.

Are you saying that was a ruse; that it was all a Panic Attack?

Please, expound.

• Stu Ing
      8:48 pm April 19, 2014 Permalink

I’m calling B.S.

WTF is up with some crap call that Julius Randle had a ‘panic attack’?

John Ellis: your comments are calumnious.

4. Don't get this
    7:18 pm April 19, 2014 Permalink

“Seem like they might be leaning to come back.”
    Really? You actually took that thought from that tweet?
    Absurd and irresponsible.

5. CPACAT
    7:21 pm April 19, 2014 Permalink

First: I think, as most everyone does,that Randle is gone to NBA

Second: The reason the previous responders think the tweet sheds some doubt on that is a combination of the following:
    A) no public commitment by Randle to going to the league, which we all think is a given (so why wait to declare), and
    B) the language of “you deserve all that’s coming your way”…gives the slightest bit of an impression that “you” are going there, and I am not, and
    B) this tweet is viewed through “blue colored glasses” of a UK fan looking for any reason to be hopeful for a Randle return, and the view reinforces that impression.

• Dr, Pheel
      8:17 pm April 19, 2014 Permalink

I concur.

Randle is ready.

I got to watch the DVR of the CBS special in re the 2014 Final Four. It was very well done; except for the script-reading.

Nonetheless, Randle’s mom was front and prominent. It said a lot.

She played College and Pro Ball.

He’s a smart kid; genes’s are a blessing.

He’s got a splendid future in the NBA. Starting…….

6. CPACAT
    7:22 pm April 19, 2014 Permalink

Good thoughts until I put A, B, B! HA! Give me a break, I am an accountant, I don’t use letters.

• Dr, Pheel
      8:23 pm April 19, 2014 Permalink

I noticed that….previously.

Don’t beat yourself up.

We all err.

And, we all need bean counters.

Just glad you didn’t touch my taxes.

7. Delk for 3
    7:34 pm April 19, 2014 Permalink

What is Randle waiting for though? I’m still considering him gone, but I’ve gone down from 100 to 99.9 percent sure just because of the fact he hasn’t just gone ahead and announced. I don’t understand what he’s waiting for. The twins are coming back, though, and I’m 99.9 percent sure they are still at UK next season. If it was just Aaron I wouldn’t be so sure, but I don’t think Andrew has a much of a shot at making an NBA roster next season. There is a lot talk about the NBA and its teams desiring “potential.” In regards to guards/wings, I’m not sure I believe that. At those positions, you gotta be able to straight ball and they have no time for you to develop those skills. At the big man positions, I think they are more willing to look at potential and have patience with a guy with tremendous size. All that stated, I’m not sure Andrew can “ball” at a high enough level at the PG position. I do think Aaron is good enough right now to play a combo guard spot in the league, but Andrew just doesn’t do much to be a NBA quality PG. You have to either be a great play maker or scorer in the league to be a 1. Andrew is neither.

8. Why
    7:36 pm April 19, 2014 Permalink

Why should we be happy that players who aren’t ready for the nba are leaving too soon? This is Kentucky, not an AAU program.

• ukjonny9
      8:07 pm April 19, 2014 Permalink

Name the Cal player who left and isn’t in the league? (And Orton doesn’t count because neither side wanted him to be here any longer)

The kids gave us a great run and a lot of memories. Quit being selfish and let the kids have something. You give us all a bad name.

• harry
      8:11 pm April 19, 2014 Permalink

Why not? What do you want from the players?

9. binarysolo
    7:48 pm April 19, 2014 Permalink

Iiiiiiii dunno if we can compare this waiting game with Matt Elam’s announcement. That dude kept us waiting for MONTHs and then when he was gonna announce at the Army All-American game he pushed it back again.

Regarding Randle’s delay in announcing, my guess is they’re putting together a big announcement like what Jabari Parker had. How he co-wrote an article for SI and then had that pre-taped interview.

• Coach K
      8:32 pm April 19, 2014 Permalink

Huh?
      Parker was supposed to announce last WEDS.

He didn’t.

After that? Probably the most well reasoned response I’ve seen from a righteous kid in forever.

Took a lot of balls… away from DUKE …and the LDS…to go pro.

THAT’s why he didn’t announce last WEDs.

So, what’s Julius got?

10. You Would Too
    7:51 pm April 19, 2014 Permalink

So “Why”… let’s play a game. Forget about basketball for a second. You are 19 years old, one year removed from high school and took the college route for your freshman year. Then, someone comes along and offers you a contract for 2-3 million dollars based on your potential! What would you do?

No matter what profession you pursue, if this scenario played out for anyone, they would jump at the chance to take the millions. Worst case scenario is that you get the money, they discover you are not what they thought you’d be and they let you go. So now you are an early 20’s millionaire going back to college to pursue another career… doesn’t sound like a bad deal to me.

Coach Cal offers this opportunity to players every year! IF we wanted players that didn’t treat Kentucky as a minor league for the NBA, then we would have held onto Tubby Smith. Do you think the fan base would be happy with Cal winning 20 games and losing in the first round of the tournament for a couple years because he is building a team that will be good in 3 or 4 years… I say NO, that is the Indiana/Crean route and you see what they have now. UK is a win now, at all costs program and Cal understands better than anyone that you win with talent… even if it means having that talent just for one year.

• Why
      8:09 pm April 19, 2014 Permalink

All your points are valid and 100% correct. However, I’m a Tard fan, so your voice of reason and sound logic has no power over me! Now, if you’ll excuse me, I need to head back over to insidetheville and whine/make excuses/conspiracy theorize/blame Cal/over-inflate my view of UL, the greatest program that’s ever graced the face of this earth.

11. ransmith
    8:11 pm April 19, 2014 Permalink

First there is no hidden message in his tweak.

Second, only an idiot would question a kid leaving that is a first round draft pick. Most of us if we were projected as a top 15 pick will take the money and run!

With that said, sure people will question those that are not solid first round picks.

I have no clue why Randle has not finalized he is leaving but obviously he is struggling with finalizing that decision. The other 4, well they all have more difficult decisions to make, None are solid first round picks, they all objectively will spend time in the devalop league, maybe years. But, you never know, and they are competiative people that may want to buck the odds and prove conventional thinking wrong. Some may want to be practical about it but some around them are pushing them to leave. There are a lot of dynamics and a month or so is really not that much time for them and their families to decide!!

12. But, Cal says...
    8:12 pm April 19, 2014 Permalink

I predict Randle will return to UK for one simple reason. Even if he is a top 5 NBA draft pick, he will be taking a pay cut from what he is currently earning at UK.

• Hold your breath until they break the news, please
      8:16 pm April 19, 2014 Permalink

Derp. Derp derp.

• I probably did your mom in college
      8:53 pm April 19, 2014 Permalink

Mr. But, Cal says… April 19, 2014 at 8:12 pm

I had to get a couple of shots of ……

13. harry
    8:15 pm April 19, 2014 Permalink

Like many I am surprised that JR has not announced his intentions. Nevertheless, I wish all success at the next level if they so choose. For returning players, hi fives and cheers. GO Cats

14. NKY_UK_fan
    8:17 pm April 19, 2014 Permalink

I just don’t understand why Randle hasn’t declared yet?

• CPACAT
      8:31 pm April 19, 2014 Permalink

Read #9 binarysolo above….second paragraph…makes the most sense of anything I can conjur up…which is what we are doing..conjuring…

15. STOOPS TROOPS
    8:56 pm April 19, 2014 Permalink

Yeh need these kids to hurry up and stay or go so I can get closure. Were the best fans dont make us worry

• blake
      11:59 pm April 19, 2014 Permalink

Best comment on this post. ..after that tourney my nerves can’t take no more ish…if they come back ill be ecstatic like a win if they leave if will hurt my heart like a loss..it hurts my heart and yal don’t even care!

16. David
    9:05 am April 20, 2014 Permalink

I’m guessing he went home for Easter weekend and is talking it over with his mom and others he trusts at home. I expect him to announce this week.
    I do not mind players taking the three weeks or so given to them to decide and announce. We fans need to chill and give them their space.

17. Wyatt Earp
    10:13 am April 20, 2014 Permalink

Kids going to the nba from Kentucky isn’t painful. We know that we are going to get another bunch of players just as good or better. I think BBN has accepted the fact that we are not going to get to know most of these guys and that in this era of basketball this is all just a business.

18. Big Mouth REX
    1:13 am April 21, 2014 Permalink

Stop crying!! We have Karl T., Trey L. and WCS next year for sure!